Grumman pollution spreads from Calverton plant

Full story: Newsday 20
A plume of industrial pollution from the former Grumman naval weapons plant in Calverton is larger - and deeper - than was previously thought, according to new tests by the Suffolk health department. Full Story
N0-Bama

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1 Jul 9, 2009
We can comment on this nosense but not on REAL ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!
bah

Larchmont, NY

#2 Jul 9, 2009
maybe riverhead should have tested prior to buying the land back - sucks for riverhead, not for the navy its not on their hands now.
Surprized

Nashua, NH

#3 Jul 9, 2009
This is a "real" issue. These chemicals are going to get into our drinking water. The feds have to do something about it.
byondhlp

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jul 10, 2009
Should have never stopped making those wonderful war birds on LI.
MR OY

Patchogue, NY

#6 Jul 10, 2009
LEECHED into ground water??? They out and out just poured it right into the ground. What's going to happen when they use this polluted water to make snow for their brain storming ski slope? Probably will import water at an additional cost to taxpayers. Clean it up then cover it up with an airport & industrial area to make some real money for Riverhead & Long Island. God forbid a sensible idea will arise from the kickback brigade.
THE FRITO BANDITO

Patchogue, NY

#7 Jul 10, 2009
Surprized wrote:
This is a "real" issue. These chemicals are going to get into our drinking water. The feds have to do something about it.
Forget it. They said they have more important things to do like skim $$ for their next election. To them nothing is a "real" issue other than taking care of themselves and screw John Q. Where is Chuck the Schmuck on this one? Out to lunch? Not enough potential votes to open his mouth. Busy trying to get amnesty for illegals.
peachis

Oyster Bay, NY

#8 Jul 10, 2009
The same thing happened at Grumman in Bethpage...it is a Federal Superfund Site...the Bethpage ballfield at the community park had to be dug up due to PCBs found there.

Grumman, the local politicians and business owners managed to hush it up, though, as usual. Money means more than people.
james cressy

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jul 10, 2009
Lets not forget that we live on a sole source aquifer. WE DRINK OUR GROUNDWATER. These chlorinated solvents are hazardous waste, no-indigenous, and move readily in groundwater. Furthermore, many of these solvents are denser than water and sink!!!!!!!!!! These impacts need to be removed ASAP because we are paying the price.
Sleepy Riverhead

Coram, NY

#10 Jul 10, 2009
This is nothing new. 13 years ago, after the title changed hands, it was determined that there was leakage of solvents and other chemicals. It was further verified in 2000 when part of the property was excavated.They were fully cognizant of the waste that accumulated over the years. It was much cheaper to dump it on site, because back then, budgets wouldn't allow for removal. They had to push on with production, knowing that the plant was being shut down. Shame on the Navy for ruining the property and potentially ruining the micro-environment and shame on Riverhead for not stepping up to the plate. This needs to be brought to the Federal level. ASAP.
jeanne roth

Oakdale, NY

#11 Jul 10, 2009
it's about time to stop this pollution, everywhere, especially long island. this is all polluting our land and our water
Citizens for Obozo

Newark, NJ

#12 Jul 10, 2009
Surprized wrote:
The chemicals will be in your drinking water only if you use unfiltered, untreated water from LI Sound, or drink from a backyard well you dug yourself.

Of course, since all this stuff has been in the soil for 60 years it must have killed several million Suffolk residents by now.

Better catch a plan to Hawaii and pray the Federal Anti-Volcano Prevention and Pork Agency keeps you alive.
N0-Bama

Yorktown Heights, NY

#13 Jul 10, 2009
Citizens for Obozo wrote:
<quoted text>
The chemicals will be in your drinking water only if you use unfiltered, untreated water from LI Sound, or drink from a backyard well you dug yourself.
Of course, since all this stuff has been in the soil for 60 years it must have killed several million Suffolk residents by now.
Better catch a plan to Hawaii and pray the Federal Anti-Volcano Prevention and Pork Agency keeps you alive.
Brilliant post.... here come the so called tree huggers with their usual BS......
Surprized

Nashua, NH

#14 Jul 10, 2009
Citizens for Obozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how much you know about chemistry, but some of those chemicals don't "filter" out. Did you ever wonder about the 30% higher cancer statistics on LI? look at the number of superfund sights on Long Island and you'll know why.
N0-Bama

Yorktown Heights, NY

#15 Jul 13, 2009
Surprized wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know how much you know about chemistry, but some of those chemicals don't "filter" out. Did you ever wonder about the 30% higher cancer statistics on LI? look at the number of superfund sights on Long Island and you'll know why.
ANOTHER LEFT WING TREE HUGGER heard FROM!!!!!
Surprized

Nashua, NH

#16 Jul 16, 2009
N0-Bama wrote:
<quoted text>
ANOTHER LEFT WING TREE HUGGER heard FROM!!!!!
Tree hugger? I've been working in the electronics industry for 30 years, have been exposed to things that are now illegal to use in manufacturing (like what's polluting the grumman property) and have watched too many of my friends die from long trem exposure to these things which causes rare and incurable cancers. The issue here is not about stopping something new but what to do about what's already done. Grumman like the company I worked for probably used the current methods for disposal but what was legal and accepted in 1978 was a leaching pit. We found out 5-10 years later that that doesn't work. Solvents of that type must be treated and properly disposed of. I hope YOU never find out what happens to someone who's had too much exposure.
N0-Bama

Yorktown Heights, NY

#17 Jul 19, 2009
Surprized wrote:
<quoted text>Tree hugger? I've been working in the electronics industry for 30 years, have been exposed to things that are now illegal to use in manufacturing (like what's polluting the grumman property) and have watched too many of my friends die from long trem exposure to these things which causes rare and incurable cancers. The issue here is not about stopping something new but what to do about what's already done. Grumman like the company I worked for probably used the current methods for disposal but what was legal and accepted in 1978 was a leaching pit. We found out 5-10 years later that that doesn't work. Solvents of that type must be treated and properly disposed of. I hope YOU never find out what happens to someone who's had too much exposure.
My point EXACTLY ....what is known today MAY be proved unacceptable tomorrow.... YOU CHOSE to work in that field then (just like a cop or fireman) NOBODY FORCED YOU TO WORK in this field .....why should you now be able to say they were guilty of wrongdoing .....YOU CHOSE IT!!!!! You should have said something at the time NOT YEARS LATER AND WANT MONEY.....you SCHMUCK!!!!!!!
Nostradumbest

Newark, NJ

#18 Jul 20, 2009
Surprized wrote:
<quoted text>Tree hugger? I've been working in the electronics industry for 30 years, have been exposed to things that are now illegal to use in manufacturing (like what's polluting the grumman property) and have watched too many of my friends die from long trem exposure to these things which causes rare and incurable cancers. The issue here is not about stopping something new but what to do about what's already done. Grumman like the company I worked for probably used the current methods for disposal but what was legal and accepted in 1978 was a leaching pit. We found out 5-10 years later that that doesn't work. Solvents of that type must be treated and properly disposed of. I hope YOU never find out what happens to someone who's had too much exposure.
What if we find out 20 years from now that corn flakes have been causing cancer? What if we find out that eating pork rinds while drinking bourbon cures cancer?

Don't you wish you knew these things now so you could be the first to start the lawsuits?
Surprized

Nashua, NH

#19 Jul 20, 2009
N0-Bama wrote:
<quoted text>
My point EXACTLY ....what is known today MAY be proved unacceptable tomorrow.... YOU CHOSE to work in that field then (just like a cop or fireman) NOBODY FORCED YOU TO WORK in this field .....why should you now be able to say they were guilty of wrongdoing .....YOU CHOSE IT!!!!! You should have said something at the time NOT YEARS LATER AND WANT MONEY.....you SCHMUCK!!!!!!!
I don't know what you've been reading, but I never said that they were guilty of wrong doing. You can stop the name calling and reread my posts. NEVER did I say that Grumman is guilty of anything.Check your glasses.
Surprized

Nashua, NH

#20 Jul 20, 2009
Nostradumbest wrote:
<quoted text>
What if we find out 20 years from now that corn flakes have been causing cancer? What if we find out that eating pork rinds while drinking bourbon cures cancer?
Don't you wish you knew these things now so you could be the first to start the lawsuits?
Actually no. I don't think the these lawsuits should be allowed unless the entity knows of the problem and continues to sell/use the offensive object, or has acted in an illegal or irresponsible manner.
stan dullivan

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Jan 11, 2010
dont dig up the dirt put the new proposed solar panels on top of the soil. dont cut down trees,theres nothing else to do there but make it usable above the soil

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffolk Bancorp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nesconset man sentenced in slaying of Smithtown... (Jun '08) Jan 4 Anon 15
Pumpkin picking on Long Island (Oct '08) Aug '13 Woodlands Waterway 26
Cops seek witnesses in William Floyd High shooting (Dec '08) May '13 Tim B MBV Security 60
Lawmakers call for MTA to take over Suffolk's b... (May '09) Jul '12 Ann 27
Huntington bagel baker testifies in murder trial (Jan '09) Jun '12 Uri 23
Title insurance agent charged with larcenies (Jul '08) Jan '12 T Cidoni 4
Arrested for attempted rape, Middle Island bus ... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Justice 1
More from around the web