Cutchogue woman dies in hit-run

Cutchogue woman dies in hit-run

There are 203 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 16, 2008, titled Cutchogue woman dies in hit-run. In it, Newsday reports that:

A Cutchogue woman was struck and killed as she walked home along Route 25 by a Southold woman who Suffolk police said was driving while intoxicated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
VOR

Bronx, NY

#1 Aug 16, 2008
narrow roads, not well lit, no sidewalks in places. Dangerous. Sad.
Wow

Glen Burnie, MD

#4 Aug 16, 2008
The problem of DWI is getting out of hand. Sad story. R.I.P. Melissa
dazed and confused

Bronx, NY

#7 Aug 16, 2008
more carnage on the roads of LI......when are we going to get serious about drunk driving. first offense...a hefty fine and put a sticker on the license plate identifying the driver as a dangerous drunk, second offense confiscate the car, third time, charge the offender with assault with intent to murder.
if there is injury or death the first offense, lock him/her away for a respectable amount of time.
this has got to stop!
wow

South Salem, NY

#8 Aug 16, 2008
Turned herself in then she pled not guilty. Very interesting...

Since: Apr 08

AOL

#9 Aug 16, 2008
WHY IS THIS THE ONLY ARTICLE WITH A COMMENTS FEATURE IN TODAY'S NEWSDAY?????
JBMommy

New York, NY

#10 Aug 16, 2008
When are they going to get these killers off the road? Take their cars. Make them us public transportation, hey, make them walk where ever they have to go and maybe some drunk will plow them down and put us all out of our disgust for them.
critter

Syracuse, NY

#13 Aug 16, 2008
JBMommy wrote:
When are they going to get these killers off the road? Take their cars. Make them us public transportation, hey, make them walk where ever they have to go and maybe some drunk will plow them down and put us all out of our disgust for them.
Well said! I totally agree with you. Until the penalties for drunk driving get real, nothing will change.
Kelli

Hartsdale, NY

#14 Aug 16, 2008
RIP Melissa Miller..

you'll be missed...

Melissa you were like a sister to me, i can't believe your goneee.

Dillon had a great mother <3
Samantha

Hartsdale, NY

#15 Aug 16, 2008
Melissa was a good friend of the familys and she was loved dearly including her 4 year old son dylan.
Melissa, we will all miss you so much, and now, your up there with my brother Jason!!!

R.I.P Melissa<33 iloveyou<3
R.I.P Jason<33 i love you my brother
VOR

Bronx, NY

#16 Aug 16, 2008
No question we have to treat drunk driving as a more serious crime whether or not someone is injured.

Once I was in an accident where the driver got very nervous when I called the police, exchanged information, then sped off. When the cops arrived they ran his license, which had been suspended multiple times. I asked them if they would go to his house and arrest him they said "Do you want us to sit outside and wait for him to drive?" I said yes. "They laughed and said, in Long Island you need a car... a suspended license isn't going to stop anyone from driving"

Drunk driving first offense: 8 weeks in weekend prision and suspension of license.

Second Offense: 90 days in jail and revocation of license.

Third offense minimum 2 year jail sentence.

Get these potential murderers off the road.
dazed and confused wrote:
more carnage on the roads of LI......when are we going to get serious about drunk driving. first offense...a hefty fine and put a sticker on the license plate identifying the driver as a dangerous drunk, second offense confiscate the car, third time, charge the offender with assault with intent to murder.
if there is injury or death the first offense, lock him/her away for a respectable amount of time.
this has got to stop!
Kate

Jackson, NJ

#19 Aug 16, 2008
wow wrote:
Turned herself in then she pled not guilty. Very interesting...
It's standard practice in New York Criminal cases... a not guilty plea is always entered initially.
Matt

Jackson, NJ

#20 Aug 16, 2008
Ricky Raccoon wrote:
<quoted text>
umm not to mention THE DRIVER WAS DRUNK!!!
and not to mention she left a person dying on the side of the road because she was worried about geting in trouble!! How pathetic.
DrDoom

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Aug 16, 2008
Do you think alcolhol should REALLY be legal?????
Carmela

Wilmington, NC

#22 Aug 16, 2008
I knew Melissa and she was such a sweet person.. This is so sad it seems so hard to believe this has happened. I remember talking with her and playing with her son... It breaks my heart.. my prayers and thoughts are with her Family and her baby boy..May you find Peace in Gods love..RIP Melissa.. Please who ever reads this, please think and dont drink and drive..

“Trolls ----> YAWN.”

Since: Jun 08

Lowcountry, USA

#23 Aug 16, 2008
Terrible terrible TERRIBLE!!

How tragic. My heart breaks for the family. Now this child gets to grow up without a mother because some schithed lush decided to get behind the wheel.

So friggin senseless! When will it end? Enough is enough!
dre

New Haven, CT

#25 Aug 17, 2008
melissa was an amazing fun loving person with a huge heart and a seemingly never ending supply of energy and humor. everyone says this about dead people, but it really is true about melissa. the person who hit her didn't stop to think about this, but now there's hundreds of people whose lives were touched by this person who is just gone. i haven't seen melissa in almost 2 years, and i will never see her again. i am angry about that. dylan had a hard enough time up to now growing up, and now he is left without a mother or a father. i am angry about that. melissa was a beautiful person who many people loved and now they all grieve for her, and i am angry about that too. if everyone who knew her is going through what i'm going through right now, i'd like to see the person responsible for this burned at the stake in front of an angry mob.
exislander

Norwich, VT

#26 Aug 17, 2008
Drunk drivers continue to slaughter innocent Long Islanders and unfortunately they always will.
My condolences to the victim's family.

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

#27 Aug 17, 2008
Ann Travers is another moron. This is sad, but i wonder if the woman who was hit was on the sidewalk or in the street.

“Here for the party”

Since: Jul 08

Slappy New Year!

#28 Aug 17, 2008
Ricky Raccoon wrote:
<quoted text>
umm not to mention THE DRIVER WAS DRUNK!!!
Long Island has got to be the drunk driving capital of the US. we need to start treating all DWI kills as murder.
Absolutely right!!!
wow

South Salem, NY

#29 Aug 17, 2008

Yes it should.
DrDoom wrote:
Do you think alcolhol should REALLY be legal?????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffolk Bancorp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nesconset man sentenced in slaying of Smithtown... (Jun '08) Mar '16 Ms J 18
News Pumpkin picking on Long Island (Oct '08) Aug '13 Woodlands Waterway 26
News Cops seek witnesses in William Floyd High shooting (Dec '08) May '13 Tim B MBV Security 60
News Lawmakers call for MTA to take over Suffolk's b... (May '09) Jul '12 Ann 27
News Huntington bagel baker testifies in murder trial (Jan '09) Jun '12 Uri 23
News Title insurance agent charged with larcenies (Jul '08) Jan '12 T Cidoni 4
News Arrested for attempted rape, Middle Island bus ... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Justice 1
More from around the web