Riverhead mom's Irish is up over Marc...

Riverhead mom's Irish is up over March 17 Heritage Day

There are 90 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 12, 2009, titled Riverhead mom's Irish is up over March 17 Heritage Day. In it, Newsday reports that:

Jean O'Dowd got what she felt was a terrible message this week from the Roanoke Avenue Elementary School, where her son goes to fourth grade.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
HEATHER

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Mar 12, 2009
hooray !! it's nice to see someone stand there ground for a change. Your an inspiration Jean O'Dowd ! Our entire office staff in Levittown and our families applaud you HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY !!!!!!
LOL

Mineola, NY

#2 Mar 12, 2009
St. Patricks day..what a joke! Low-lives drink even more than they normally do, fall down, puke and drive drunk in the name of a "holiday". They have no respect for themselves or for anyone else. A disgusting occurance promoting awful behavior from the low-life of the low-lives!
Simon Barsinister

Sarasota, FL

#6 Mar 12, 2009
Well, this really shouldn't surprise anyone. It is just an indicator of where certain groups want to take this country, and so far they have been successful. Next, July 4th will be "Global Freedom Day", and Memorial Day will be termed "Universal Oppressed Persons Day".

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#7 Mar 12, 2009
Simon Barsinister wrote:
Well, this really shouldn't surprise anyone. It is just an indicator of where certain groups want to take this country, and so far they have been successful. Next, July 4th will be "Global Freedom Day", and Memorial Day will be termed "Universal Oppressed Persons Day".
Yet in February we have a whole month to celebrate Black History. They better not mess with Sept. 19th ! International Talk Like a Pirate Day !

Since: Feb 08

Nassau County

#8 Mar 12, 2009
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet in February we have a whole month to celebrate Black History. They better not mess with Sept. 19th ! International Talk Like a Pirate Day !
However, it is the shortest month of the year...

"If hate political correctness, clap your hands!"

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

.......I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

#9 Mar 12, 2009
Make St. Patrick's day a national holiday...Time is running out.

http://www.proposition317.com

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

#10 Mar 12, 2009
LOL wrote:
St. Patricks day..what a joke! Low-lives drink even more than they normally do, fall down, puke and drive drunk in the name of a "holiday". They have no respect for themselves or for anyone else. A disgusting occurance promoting awful behavior from the low-life of the low-lives!
How'd you like a hockey stick across your head????

“You have a right to....”

Since: Dec 07

protect yourself from Liberals

#12 Mar 12, 2009
ETR wrote:
Make St. Patrick's day a national holiday...Time is running out.
http://www.proposition317.com
yep, I remember when you sent this out last year...and I'm not even Irish too.

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#13 Mar 12, 2009
I'm of Irish ancestry, and I'm Protestant.

St. Patrick's Day is a Roman Catholic holiday and it really has no business being celebrated in a public school.

Separation of church and state, remember ?
LOL

Mineola, NY

#14 Mar 12, 2009
ETR wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, I will wait for one of your drunken fools to stumble towards me and pass out.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#16 Mar 12, 2009
Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
St. Patrick's Day is a Roman Catholic holiday and it really has no business being celebrated in a public school.
If you had ancestors living in Ireland, and they were protestant, then you have English ancestry. The Irish are, and always will be Catholics. That is why Saint Patrick is so important. You descendants of the English who stole our land, and butchred our Irish people wouldn't understand such things, which is why you posted what you did, confirming your English ancestry stole the land on which their descendants still live, in Northern Ireland.

“E Pluribus F&P!”

Since: Jan 08

Floral Park

#17 Mar 12, 2009
Yes all the other kids must be furious at making shamrocks. St Valentine's day is also a Roman Catholic Holiday, but you don't see people flying off the handle over that one.
Keeping It Real

Bellmore, NY

#18 Mar 12, 2009
LOL wrote:
LOL poster,
I enjoy reading your posts,they are direct and to the point.

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

#19 Mar 12, 2009
Yeah, and we celebrate Christmas and Chanukkah in the schools too, last time I checked those are religious holidays. If you look at the big picture, the celebrations are for the spirit of the season or in this case the day. There's no praying or religious rituals going on during these celebrations....lighten up Francis....

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

#20 Mar 12, 2009
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, I will wait for one of your drunken fools to stumble towards me and pass out.
Don't wait for me to do that, doesn't happen.....

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#21 Mar 12, 2009
Ed Burke wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had ancestors living in Ireland, and they were protestant, then you have English ancestry. The Irish are, and always will be Catholics. That is why Saint Patrick is so important. You descendants of the English who stole our land, and butchred our Irish people wouldn't understand such things, which is why you posted what you did, confirming your English ancestry stole the land on which their descendants still live, in Northern Ireland.
My paternal grandfather was Irish. My maternal grandfather was Dutch. Both my grandmothers were German Lutherans. My father was raised Catholic, but he and his older brother converted to Lutheranism and most of the family was born and raised Lutheran as a result.

Although, I was born with the Irish surname "Armagh", I legally changed it 30 years to "Hanover" to more accurately reflect my German and Lutheran heritage.

PEACE !

:)

“It might have been !!!”

F&P City

#22 Mar 12, 2009
Let me guess, you want to remove "In God we trust" from money too.

Since: Nov 08

Huntington Station, NY

#23 Mar 12, 2009
Keeping It Real wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL poster,
I enjoy reading your posts,they are direct and to the point.
You have low standards.'Direct and to the point' does not translate into bashing the Irish and other pearls of wisdom this fool posts.

Huntington Station, NY

#24 Mar 12, 2009
ETR wrote:
<quoted text>
No, use a shillelagh, lol, and when he's stunned, hold him down hazing-style and force gallons of Guinness down his throat. Get Michael Flatley and the River Dancers to stomp the stupid out of him then throw him over to the It*lians just as a show of solidarity.

:-)

Huntington Station, NY

#25 Mar 12, 2009
As far is this article, I'm glad the stupid school came to it's senses. That it even got that far is ridiculous. Heritage day! How nauseatingly PC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffolk Bancorp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nesconset man sentenced in slaying of Smithtown... (Jun '08) Mar '16 Ms J 18
News Cutchogue woman dies in hit-run (Aug '08) Nov '15 lorraine 203
News Pumpkin picking on Long Island (Oct '08) Aug '13 Woodlands Waterway 26
News Cops seek witnesses in William Floyd High shooting (Dec '08) May '13 Tim B MBV Security 60
News Lawmakers call for MTA to take over Suffolk's b... (May '09) Jul '12 Ann 27
News Huntington bagel baker testifies in murder trial (Jan '09) Jun '12 Uri 23
News Title insurance agent charged with larcenies (Jul '08) Jan '12 T Cidoni 4
More from around the web