Teens accused in Patchogue hate crime...

Teens accused in Patchogue hate crime face new charges

There are 17 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 29, 2009, titled Teens accused in Patchogue hate crime face new charges. In it, Newsday reports that:

Long before prosecutors accused seven Patchogue-Medford High School students of taking part in a fatal, ethnically motivated attack on an Ecuadorean immigrant, the teens went on a yearlong campaign to batter ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Jim Thompson

United States

#1 Jan 29, 2009
Wow, the media sure LOVES this story! Of course the incident described in this story was a terrible crime. However, does this story deserve the amount of attention that the news media has given it? In Tennessee, a few years ago, a young, white couple was carjacked by a gang of blacks. This couple was mutilated and tortured to death. It obviously was a "hate crime". However, one hardly heard anything about it from the national news media. Any hate crime is terrible. Yet, I wonder what the true agenda is of a newspaper such as this one for making such a tremendous deal out of this story.
Jeff

Sunnyvale, CA

#2 Jan 29, 2009
It sounds like the Suffolk Police didn't do their job. People report crimes to them and they do nothing.
LMM

New York, NY

#3 Jan 29, 2009
While Lucero's death was a tragedy (any needless death is)- how long is Newsday going to beat this story to death?

Why don't they dedicate the same amount of time and energy to LIPA rate hikes, NYS' growing deficit, the loss of jobs on LI, or here's a twist!- the overcrowding in housing of illegal latinos in various communities like Patchogue, Brentwood and Riverhead, or the illegal labor they provide in landscaping and construction industries (see the 7-11 on North Ocean Ave off the LIE), or stats on some of the crimes the illegal immigrant population commits - but no, those would be boring, true-to-fact, unsensationalized stories!!!
lol

Stony Creek, VA

#4 Jan 29, 2009
Are there Love Crimes?

It is a witch hunt and further destroying all the safeguards carefully built into our COnstitution.

1984 has come home to roost, and the Thought Police are running unchecked through our society.
Revolt

Cold Spring Harbor, NY

#5 Jan 29, 2009
Why are the local kwaps piling on the charges? Because the kids are white? Why don't they do something about the illegal invaders so that people don't have to take the law into their own hands? Who does the DA represent? Why would anybody vote for this character again? Ask yourselves some questions people. We need a new government from the top down. Change is local - let's start here. Vote everybody that had a hand in persecuting these kids out of office. Run for office yourself if you have to. There is nothing the system hates more than when you don't buy into the two party fixed system.
The Bronx

New York, NY

#6 Jan 29, 2009
If the kids were black you would be saying hang them, give them the death penalty. You would be calling them animals, monkeys, thugs, gansta's and everything but a child of God.

This story needs national attention, not just local Suffolk County attention. These hispanic coalitions and organizations have some powerful people and politicians behind them, and one thing about there culture, like it or not, they stick together.

You people in Suffolk don't like it because the more it stays in the news the more scrutiny you all come under, the more attention people start to pay to the racism and prejudice that has always been there, not just against hispanic but against any group of people that you don't consider "white". It's always been that way, more racist and segregated than the South.

Since: Jan 09

New York, NY

#7 Jan 29, 2009
The Bronx wrote:
If the kids were black you would be saying hang them, give them the death penalty. You would be calling them animals, monkeys, thugs, gansta's and everything but a child of God.
This story needs national attention, not just local Suffolk County attention. These hispanic coalitions and organizations have some powerful people and politicians behind them, and one thing about there culture, like it or not, they stick together.
You people in Suffolk don't like it because the more it stays in the news the more scrutiny you all come under, the more attention people start to pay to the racism and prejudice that has always been there, not just against hispanic but against any group of people that you don't consider "white". It's always been that way, more racist and segregated than the South.
I'm white and if they harmed a family member of mine I would say hang them. They are not thugs, they are murderers. It is as simple as that. I'm not in favor of illegal aliens but, I'm against violence. I will see to it that my boys have the proper upbringing and upstanding morals. They will certainly be productive members of the society we live in and not destructive. You have to be a psychopath to murder someone in cold blood anyway. Their parents should have sought treatment for them before this had happened. There will always be prejudice where there is ignorance. I'm from suffolk county (originally nassau) but, not from the lower classed element of suffolk.

New York, NY

#8 Jan 29, 2009
The Bronx wrote:
Another thing is this: People don't always view each other as individuals. They take a whole race and associate a race with wrong doing. If you dropped me off in Compton, California, I would be in fear of my life. It works both ways. There are some african americans who hate white america. I once had a young african american girl tell me her blood was blue and mine was red. That may have been her parents doing. Tolerance has to be taught at home. That is the only way things can change. My mother's ancestors faced racism when they came to america from Ireland.
They were viewed as dirty,poor and unintelligent. The papers of that time would post jobs with NINA under it's job title (no irish need apply). It's always been there for all nationalities. I hope I'll see some change in my lifetime.
The Bronx

Bronx, NY

#9 Jan 29, 2009
Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm white and if they harmed a family member of mine I would say hang them. They are not thugs, they are murderers. It is as simple as that. I'm not in favor of illegal aliens but, I'm against violence. I will see to it that my boys have the proper upbringing and upstanding morals. They will certainly be productive members of the society we live in and not destructive. You have to be a psychopath to murder someone in cold blood anyway. Their parents should have sought treatment for them before this had happened. There will always be prejudice where there is ignorance. I'm from suffolk county (originally nassau) but, not from the lower classed element of suffolk.
Your right and I do agree with you. There are prejudices and bigotry in all races of people. It does begin with the teachings that have been passed down from generation to generation. I had an uncle who moved to William Floyd, a well to do neighborhood, mostly white, he was black, his kids and wife, good jobs, you know, well to do blacks. Do you know that they got called the "n" word on a regular basis by their neighbors. Someone poisoned there dog, vandalized there lawn, flattened the tires on his Corvette and made there lives miserable, day in and day out. Suffolk County is segregated, has chapters of the KKK and other white supremacists groups. Blacks have gangs like the Bloods and the Crips. They don't go after white people, they go after themselves, fighting amongst themselves, killing themselves. Blacks for the most part don't bother white people, it's only when they are bothered by white people do they retaliate. They stay in there little ghettos and do what they do, amongst themselves, to each other. Granted alot of what they do effects all communities because somebody has to pay for it. These boys from Patchogue are no different than if it had of been a group of black boys, they should get no special treatment or no mercy from the courts. Because if they were black they would get none. They would get thrown under the jail and these boys need to get thrown under the jail too. They want to be killers let them go to the place where the killers live, all them together, let them kill each other in there. They don't need to be in society to kill someone else. That goes for black boys who kill to, send there butts away for as long as the law allows.

New York, NY

#10 Jan 29, 2009
The Bronx wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right and I do agree with you. There are prejudices and bigotry in all races of people. It does begin with the teachings that have been passed down from generation to generation. I had an uncle who moved to William Floyd, a well to do neighborhood, mostly white, he was black, his kids and wife, good jobs, you know, well to do blacks. Do you know that they got called the "n" word on a regular basis by their neighbors. Someone poisoned there dog, vandalized there lawn, flattened the tires on his Corvette and made there lives miserable, day in and day out. Suffolk County is segregated, has chapters of the KKK and other white supremacists groups. Blacks have gangs like the Bloods and the Crips. They don't go after white people, they go after themselves, fighting amongst themselves, killing themselves. Blacks for the most part don't bother white people, it's only when they are bothered by white people do they retaliate. They stay in there little ghettos and do what they do, amongst themselves, to each other. Granted alot of what they do effects all communities because somebody has to pay for it. These boys from Patchogue are no different than if it had of been a group of black boys, they should get no special treatment or no mercy from the courts. Because if they were black they would get none. They would get thrown under the jail and these boys need to get thrown under the jail too. They want to be killers let them go to the place where the killers live, all them together, let them kill each other in there. They don't need to be in society to kill someone else. That goes for black boys who kill to, send there butts away for as long as the law allows.
I'm truly sad for your uncle and his family. No one should have to be put through that kind of torment. I do agree with you firmly regarding these boys (murderers). I just don't understand how a young individual has no regard for human life. There was something wrong mentally to have no conscience to feel pain for another individual. I do hope they will never mingle in our society ever again. We have enough to worry about (sexual offenders, racing cars in residential areas, burglars, etc.) without the worry of brutal murders living among us. It would be nice if one day we can leave our doors unlocked again. It would be even nicer if we could abolish the hostilities people have against individuals they don't even know.
JUSTICE

Landing, NJ

#11 Jan 30, 2009
Illegal aliens are not immigrants!

New York, NY

#12 Jan 30, 2009
JUSTICE wrote:
If you are referring to my response. I apologize if you took that the wrong way. I agree with you illegal aliens are just that "illegal aliens". I was referring to holding prejudice against all races. They are two separate issues for me. Everyone needs to be documented and accounted for. Murder on the other hand (regarding this case) is illegal and immoral. I don't condone violence.
The Bronx

New York, NY

#13 Feb 2, 2009
JUSTICE wrote:
They have legal standing. They have rights to be treated with the same dignity and respect as everyone else. I agree that laws need to be written clearly so we all can know where this country really stands on immigration. They are here because they were let in. They are hear to be used for a purpose, to work for less than minimum wage. Wages that neither you nor I would work for. They provide a service for practically nothing. That's why they are here. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the systems that let them in and then use them for there own greedy, self-centered purposes.

Leave those people alone, they don't bother anyone, they are good, decent, hard working, family people. If anything you should try to get to know them. Learn there language so you can communicate or try to teach them English. That is the decent thing to do instead of hating them and trying to kill them.
joy

Aiken, SC

#14 Apr 19, 2009
hi i live in the south and i live in a very diverse community and we all get along very well my husband and i are retired and we are planning on moving to ny. we felt like long island was a good place to live less cheaper then nyc,we were looking at patchogue ny at co-ops, my husband and i are people of color would we be welcome in this community?
joy

Aiken, SC

#15 Apr 19, 2009
I must say that we have lived in ny before but never lived on long island because it was always segregated but i understand that this has changed but from what has happend with this hate situation i have i have cause to belive it has not changed in the south it used to be like that,but that has changed and if you have the money you live anywere.And of cause the southern hospitality is genuine.(smile)so let me know we have no intention of making any one uncomfortable
joy

Aiken, SC

#16 Apr 19, 2009
we were also looking in coram ny and once again would this be a welcoming community or should this two retires look else were.
joy

Aiken, SC

#17 Apr 19, 2009
and by the way God bless you all(smile)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffolk Bancorp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nesconset man sentenced in slaying of Smithtown... (Jun '08) Mar '16 Ms J 18
News Cutchogue woman dies in hit-run (Aug '08) Nov '15 lorraine 203
News Pumpkin picking on Long Island (Oct '08) Aug '13 Woodlands Waterway 26
News Cops seek witnesses in William Floyd High shooting (Dec '08) May '13 Tim B MBV Security 60
News Lawmakers call for MTA to take over Suffolk's b... (May '09) Jul '12 Ann 27
News Huntington bagel baker testifies in murder trial (Jan '09) Jun '12 Uri 23
News Title insurance agent charged with larcenies (Jul '08) Jan '12 T Cidoni 4
More from around the web