sunrise senior living only cares abou...

sunrise senior living only cares about $$$$$$

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Media

#1 Mar 14, 2009
Sunrise Senior Living only cares about one thing....

Residents? NOPE
Safety? NOPE
Care? NOPE

They care about money... If you run out of money, you're going to the curb. If you cant pay your bill, your in the street

They don't care about their employees since they allow harrassment to go on in their facilities

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Smokin Joe

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Apr 15, 2009
AMEN! You got that right
sunset

Mesa, AZ

#4 Apr 18, 2009
sunrise will be sunset very soon
Corey

United States

#5 May 4, 2009
Having worked with and for the very top levels at Sunrise, I can honestly attest to the fact that they are entirely driven by money! They got too big for their britches, fell in love with living the lush life, and stopped caring about their ultimate mission. If the best leadership is to lead by example, then look at the message that Paul Klaassen has sent with HIS example: Relish being rich, and the heck with everyone else! He's very much a "do as I say - not as I do" type. Steer clear of those over-priced facilities!
SUNRISE TEAM MEMBER

Newtown, PA

#6 May 5, 2009
they are cutting area and corporate jobs, stopped giving annual merit increases to coordinators, reduced the merit increase to 2% for team members, stopped bonuses and have increased the pricing for their communities beginning next week. time to move on!!
Sad Daughter

AOL

#7 May 5, 2009
My mother was in a Sunrise in Colorado. Her care started at $2,500/month and, by the time she left, was at over $6,000/month! As the price went up, the quality went down. We found out that her caregiver had 9 people to look out for. Some had even more. No matter how conscientious, no one can handle that ratio! My mother had two kidney infections and almost died. Even though she was delirious and not eating, the onsite nurse would have let her go on like that except that my mom's caregiver told my sister to come immediately. So much for the "skilled"
care.

At $6,000 a month, we still had to shell out money for toiletries and Depends. Why?

When my mother finally ate through all her life savings we moved her to a home-based assisted living. It is half the price and the ratio is two caregivers (plus the live-in owner, an R.N.) for five people. They bathe her and change her clothes every day--which did not always happen at Sunrise. The first time they gave her a bath at the new place, we discovered that her toenails were so long they had curled under. We were all apalled.

I am thankful we are out of Sunrise. There are some good people there and it is not easy work but the HQ only cares about the bottom line and I imagine that they are getting ridiculous corporate bonuses while they leave everyone else to eek out a living. Someone is getting rich--and it is not the overworked caregivers. Do not be fooled by the looks of the facilities! I would much rather have decent care for my dementia-riddled mother than popcorn and cookies in the bistro, or activities that she never participated in (and if she did, that would have been extra money, of course).

We are now being threatened with collections for the money we owe them even though my mother is now flat broke because of them. Any recourse for this?
Fired Sunrise Employee

Phoenix, AZ

#8 May 16, 2009
Sunrise does not care about their residents or their caregivers. After many years of devoted service, I was fired. I saw so many managers being disrespectful and uncaring to residents during my employment. When complaints were lodged against them, nothing was done. Then they give nurses and caregivers too many people to care for, and when a mistake in care is made because of work overload, that employee is fired. Sunrise deserves to lose their business to someone who cares.

Since: Mar 09

Media

#9 May 16, 2009
Hey fired, Im interested in speaking with you if you'd like [email protected]
JALLY

Lewisville, TX

#10 May 20, 2009
I just quit from one of the Sunrise facilities in Plano Texas and I can confirm that non of the allegations here are exaggerated. First, the Care Manager said to be sleeping on duty most likely was worn out but not from double shift as the supervisor explained but like from work overload. At the facility where I was employed, Care Managers each care for about 8 to 10 residents but most often we would be understaffed and it was normal there to have three Care Managers care for Sixty Residents and also do their laundry and serve meals during breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Shortly before I quit, the Executive Administrator as they were called, told us that we would start doing house keeping work too. And she my friend who still work there told me that now they do not want licensed medication Aides anymore because they pay them a little more, now they want to use untrained and unlicensed people whom they will pay $9 per hour to pass medications.
In fact, the management at cooperate level only care about money.
Fired TWO

Owings Mills, MD

#11 Aug 24, 2009
Sunrise used to be a great place to work and live. I dont know what happened to the communities. However, I worked in a coordinator roll and was harrased while being out for an illness. I later resigned because of the harrasment. Prior to resigning I filed a claim but it was never investigated. I worked the entire time from home while being on sick leave but was told that I would have to use my sick time to cover my wages.

I later was terminated early after showing proof of harasment and labor laws. The HR rules in this company are not solid at all.
former

Baldwin City, KS

#12 Oct 14, 2009
These are so factful. Im in Kansas and the facility I worked at was the same way it was open for a year when I first started.

I was on leave and lost my position even while my FMLA was effective. I lost insurance and everything I had when I lost my job. I was over worked 1 sometimes 2 caremanagers to 28-30 residents. Thats in a Alz area. The hot steam tables that we served breakfast from is where one care manager would be and the second would get up all the others.

There were times that no LPN was on site they were out of the building, on lunch, at an assesment. Of corse theres no RN or doctors there. I called for some help from a nurse and no one was there. I had to wait.

I went on leave due to a disability that was short term. I was harrased while I was on leave. Some of my docotrs bills started showing up unpaid for while I was on leave.

I filed sexual harasment and called the state to investigate about the facility.

I reported to Sunrise ethic hotline, their outsourced HR! To two suppervisors and the Executive director that I was sexualy assulted by another employee. It was never looked into. I reported and so were there others who did about residents having sex and sexually harrasing other disoriented residents. Before I became ill from the over worked hours and the unbelivable termoil I reported these actions. Therefore when I was on leave it was made impossible to come back.

I was told to take a different schedule. Change from 1st shift to a 2nd or ON 3rd shift. I reported to KHR and EEOC also I have obtained an attorney.
former

Baldwin City, KS

#13 Oct 14, 2009
I used to work for SRZ. SRZ director and SRZ retaliated. I reported Sexual Harrasment/Assult from another employer. I was brought to a mental sickness becuase of it. I was ignored. I have lost my job. I lost everything. I was on leave that was covered by FMLA. And when I was out the director made it inpossible for me to return to work. I have doctors bills from the time that I was off on leave (FMLA).

I have posted a coment about this already, however it smz to have vanished.
former

Baldwin City, KS

#14 Oct 14, 2009
So I write the comment again!
former

Baldwin City, KS

#15 Oct 14, 2009
These are so factual. I’m in Kansas and the facility I worked at was the same way. The SRZ facility was open for a year when I first started.

I was on leave and lost my position even while my FMLA was effective. I lost insurance and everything I had when I lost my job.

I was over worked. There were 1 sometimes 2 care managers to 28-30 residents. That’s in an Alz area. The hot steam table that we served breakfast from is where one care manager would be and the second would get up all the others.

There were times that no LPN was on site they were out of the building, on lunch, at an assessment. Of coarse there’s no RN or doctors there. I called for some help from a nurse and no one was there. I had to wait.

I went on leave due to a disability that was short term. I was harassed while I was on leave. Some of my doctors bills started showing up unpaid for while I was on leave.

I filed sexual harassment and called the state to investigate about the facility.

I reported to Sunrise ethic hotline, their outsourced HR! To two supervisors and the Executive director that I was sexually assaulted by another employee. It was never looked into or followed up on.

I, amid others reported about residents having sex and sexually harassing other disoriented residents. Therefore when I was on leave it was made impossible to come back.

I was told to take a different schedule. Change from 1st shift to a 2nd or ON 3rd shift that was first come first served basis. Which the direcor paid bonus to employees who picked up any shift available. I reported to KHR and EEOC also I have obtained an attorney.
former

Baldwin City, KS

#16 Oct 14, 2009
I have submited three now four comments on this blog and they have all vanished. Now 1 shows up again? well... since I did redraft the coment Ill go ahead and post it too

These are so factual. I’m in Kansas and the facility I worked at was the same way. The SRZ facility was open for a year when I first started.

I was on leave and lost my position even while my FMLA was effective. I lost insurance and everything I had when I lost my job.

I was over worked. There were 1 sometimes 2 care managers to 28-30 residents. That’s in an Alz area. The hot steam table that we served breakfast from is where one care manager would be and the second would get up all the others.

There were times that no LPN was on site they were out of the building, on lunch, at an assessment. Of coarse there’s no RN or doctors there. I called for some help from a nurse and no one was there. I had to wait.

I went on leave due to a disability that was short term. I was harassed while I was on leave. Some of my doctors bills started showing up unpaid for while I was on leave.

I filed sexual harassment and called the state to investigate about the facility.

I reported to Sunrise ethic hotline, their outsourced HR! To two supervisors and the Executive director that I was sexually assaulted by another employee. It was never looked into or followed up on.

I, amid others reported about residents having sex and sexually harassing other disoriented residents. Therefore when I was on leave it was made impossible to come back.

I was told to take a different schedule. Change from 1st shift to a 2nd or ON 3rd shift that was first come first served basis. Which the direcor paid bonus to employees who picked up any shift available. I reported to KHR and EEOC also I have obtained an attorney.
Sunrise does not care

Mentor, OH

#17 Oct 23, 2009
Sunrise is at the point they don't care if their employees come in sick with 102 fever. You have 7 call offs a yr now none excused even if you have a doctors note stating you have the flu it's held against you. They would rather see their employees crawl in sick then stay home and get better. We have 18 residents to 1 caremanager. You can refuse to care for residents give residents attitude or fight with other caremanagers that's okay you won't get written up. But GOD FORBID you call off with the flu. As long as you are a warm body that is there you're okay. And the food they are feeding these poor people is just disgraceful. They have definatly gotten away from resident care and they so DO NOT care about their employees.
ex sunrise nurse

Wake Forest, NC

#18 Oct 23, 2009
Fired Sunrise Employee wrote:
Sunrise does not care about their residents or their caregivers. After many years of devoted service, I was fired. I saw so many managers being disrespectful and uncaring to residents during my employment. When complaints were lodged against them, nothing was done. Then they give nurses and caregivers too many people to care for, and when a mistake in care is made because of work overload, that employee is fired. Sunrise deserves to lose their business to someone who cares.
you're exactly right... however I was smart enough to recognize the unsafe working conditions and resigned before I got myself into a sticky situation.... imagine one nurse for over 130 residents and regional nurses they send to help simply walk in and walk out... no type of support or help
Sunrise Victim

Brewster, NY

#19 Oct 30, 2009
Soon-to-be Ex Sunrise

Pacoima, CA

#20 Nov 6, 2009
First of all, wow! I and many others at our location in California feel we are alone when it comes to the problems of Sunrise. It is almost a breath of fresh air to hear that we are not the only ones suffering from this money-hungry corporation. Like so many others on this forum, employees' concerns are ignored at our location in Southern California. We have an employee who has openly admitted to doing psychedelic and illegal drugs before coming into work, they have actually promoted this person to a med-tech! HR doesn't follow up on concerns with other employees or on payroll issues.
Today, we found out that everyone's hours are being cut. This after the announcement earlier this year that raises would be just 2%, if at all. We as care managers, life enrichment managers, med-techs, etc are already very over-worked and extremely underpaid. Sorry Sunrise, the "Second Paycheck" does NOT pay the bills. Get a clue!
Kvw

Leominster, MA

#21 Nov 12, 2009
so very true having worked at a sunrise in the marketing department i have seen residents come into welcome arms when their check books are fat and kicked to the curb when they are empty
maint guy wrote:
Sunrise Senior Living only cares about one thing....
Residents? NOPE
Safety? NOPE
Care? NOPE
They care about money... If you run out of money, you're going to the curb. If you cant pay your bill, your in the street
They don't care about their employees since they allow harrassment to go on in their facilities

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sunrise Senior Living Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sunrise senior living employees sleep at night (Mar '09) Jul 15 Saturngirl69 18
Pictures (Apr '14) Jul 13 Patio 4
Assisted Living Survey (Apr '13) May '16 Brandi Paul 3
News Pa. police: Hidden camera catches elderly abuse... (Apr '11) Feb '16 Keeping an eye 8
sunrise is a joke (Mar '09) Feb '16 MARY1234 38
Sunrise Senior Living home staff 'lying' about ... (Dec '14) Jul '15 svega 3
Sunrise UK (Jul '15) Jul '15 Jay 1
More from around the web