Scotts Valley Planning Commission rej...

Scotts Valley Planning Commission rejects Suburban Propane proposal to move to Janis Way

There are 20 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Dec 5, 2008, titled Scotts Valley Planning Commission rejects Suburban Propane proposal to move to Janis Way. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The Scotts Valley Planning Commission shot down a proposal from Suburban Propane to move its gas tanks to an industrial spot on Janis Way, which is near Scotts Valley Drive and runs along Highway 17.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

For what reason

Napa, CA

#1 Dec 5, 2008
I don't get it- An industrial area is a bad spot, but Lockhardt Gulch is OK? What are these planning officials smokin?
Henry

Foster City, CA

#2 Dec 5, 2008
Small minds and small town politics...everything is local brother. The progressive eco-nimbys rule.
Local Boy

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Dec 5, 2008
Must be something good because that is stupid.

“ I do deny them my essence...”

Since: Mar 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Dec 5, 2008
I am sure that every one of those who voted against the relocation were probably inundated with phone calls and emails from all the NIMBY cry babies with offices overlooking Janis Way. Those folks in the mobile home park across the way have lived with those tanks since the dawn of time. The powers that govern Scotts Valley have the opportunity to significantly increase the local tax base by building a town center and what do they do? Assume the fetal position while putting their heads in the sand.
Lido

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Dec 5, 2008
For years there was moaning and groaning as to what to do with the propane gas companies...and now this ?
Unless there are underlining issues that have not been expressed to the public...this makes no sense.
SaveScottsValley

San Jose, CA

#7 Dec 5, 2008
If you want to learn more about why this proposed move would be bad for Scotts Valley, have a look at http://www.savescottsvalley.com

One new fact that emerged out of last night's meeting is that Threshold, one of Scotts Valley's largest employers (600 employees) plans to leave town if the propane tank moves to Janis Way. With all the new truck traffic that would come to this densely populated business area, they are concerned about increased hazards and worker safety.

The propane tanks should move--but not to another densely populated business and residential area of town. That's just plain bad for business, people, and the town.

Since: Apr 08

Santa Cruz County, CA

#8 Dec 5, 2008
Probably a good move based on the bad safety record of SP-all the explosions and deaths we've had in Scotts Valley over the years, you know.
For what reason

Napa, CA

#9 Dec 5, 2008
The "SavetheScottsValley " website creators are providing a clear example of NIMBYISM. As far as I know that is a INDUSTRIAL area and a perfect area for the Suburban Propane. Remote areas are a worse place because of increase fire danger from lack of access will cause tank explosions.

“ I do deny them my essence...”

Since: Mar 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#10 Dec 5, 2008
SaveScottsValley wrote:
If you want to learn more about why this proposed move would be bad for Scotts Valley, have a look at http://www.savescottsvalley.com
One new fact that emerged out of last night's meeting is that Threshold, one of Scotts Valley's largest employers (600 employees) plans to leave town if the propane tank moves to Janis Way. With all the new truck traffic that would come to this densely populated business area, they are concerned about increased hazards and worker safety.
The propane tanks should move--but not to another densely populated business and residential area of town. That's just plain bad for business, people, and the town.
That's very interesting except that Threshold doesn't have the money to move their whole company. I know because I have a friend who is a top level employee there. My understanding is that they are going to still move their corporate and keep their shipping on Janis Way.

Scotts Valley probably wants to have their cake and eat it too, meaning they don't want to lose Suburban Propane either. I think a good place would be Harvey West in Santa Cruz or up on Quail Hollow in Ben Lomond by the quarry.
homer

San Jose, CA

#11 Dec 5, 2008
Robert Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>Scotts Valley probably wants to have their cake and eat it too, meaning they don't want to lose Suburban Propane either. I think a good place would be Harvey West in Santa Cruz or up on Quail Hollow in Ben Lomond by the quarry.
Scotts Valley couldn't care less about Suburban Propane. The problem for Scotts Valley is Suburban Propane is sitting on a key piece of property vis-a-vis the town center project. The city can't afford to use eminent domain, so they want SP to leave voluntarily. Unfortunately, every site inside the city stirs up political hornet's nest. A new site for SP outside the city would be win-win.
SaveScottsValley

San Jose, CA

#12 Dec 5, 2008
Don't forget, the Janis Way "Industrial area" is only about a block wide. There are homes within a few hundred feet on both sides. In fact, homes would be much closer to the propane facility on Janis Way than they are to the facility on Mt. Herman.
For what reason

Napa, CA

#13 Dec 5, 2008
There are not any homes on Janis Way, only large commercial type buildings. But yes, across the freeway, and some off Scott's Valley drive might fit with 100 feet. The propane tanks now are near shopping centers with high pedestrian traffic, so as far as safety is a concern- Janis Way would be better. I think everybody is too paranoid about these tanks exploding- nobody wants that and I am sure SP is motivated to keep up with high safety standards to keep it that way. I don't think it is fair to just boot out a company which has established itself here.

“ I do deny them my essence...”

Since: Mar 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Dec 5, 2008
SaveScottsValley wrote:
Don't forget, the Janis Way "Industrial area" is only about a block wide. There are homes within a few hundred feet on both sides. In fact, homes would be much closer to the propane facility on Janis Way than they are to the facility on Mt. Herman.
Ok, ok....ok. The argument about scary propane tanks is getting pretty thin. The fact of the matter is that even in an earthquake large enough to level your house, these propane tanks, if they did come off their foundations would just roll around a bit. How can you intelligently make a claim that the current location is any more or less dangerous than the proposed location?

Do you guys (Scotts Valley) want a town center or don't you? I am starting to care less and less about Scotts Valley NIMBY population.
Process junkie

San Diego, CA

#16 Dec 5, 2008
The neighborhood wasn't going to let this be determined by the Planning Commission; an approval would have been appealed within a day to bring the matter before the folks they just elected to look after them (remember that PCs are appointed, not elected). If the council wants to rule on this, they can appeal the PC's decision and bring the matter to themselves. They can then face these folks directly and either convince them they are not at risk (and everyone goes home happy) or take the heat from this group of constituents over the tradeoff (opening up some potential development space vs. resident's peace of mind).

This kind of residential fear (warranted or not) is a really different dynamic then dealing with the mostly "inconvenience and annoyance" complaints of a potential Target store. How much stomach for controversy does this council have? The election results suggest they've got some capital to spend, but that can get used up pretty quickly.
Dudly

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Dec 5, 2008
SaveScottsValley wrote:
If you want to learn more about why this proposed move would be bad for Scotts Valley, have a look at http://www.savescottsvalley.com
One new fact that emerged out of last night's meeting is that Threshold, one of Scotts Valley's largest employers (600 employees) plans to leave town if the propane tank moves to Janis Way. With all the new truck traffic that would come to this densely populated business area, they are concerned about increased hazards and worker safety.
The propane tanks should move--but not to another densely populated business and residential area of town. That's just plain bad for business, people, and the town.
Hey "SaveScottsValley". Thanks for your effort !
dudley

Edmond, OK

#18 Dec 6, 2008
For what reason wrote:
I don't get it- An industrial area is a bad spot, but Lockhardt Gulch is OK? What are these planning officials smokin?
Planning commission meetings are public and provide detailed blueprints of the site involved. Educate yourself better and attend one. This Lockhart Gulch is a not suitable and I couldn't believe that one was even a idea, this site however, is less than 50' from a commercial fuel station adjacently and about 70' from a welding (sparks, ignition source if leaks) company. The site itself would require tankers and bobtails to exit through Dassel's fuel property turnaround a dead end street bordering HWY17 that I would bet you drive along as the rest of us have. There's a lot you don't know about this specific site. So instead of being sarcastic look into it further.
love scotts valley

United States

#19 Dec 8, 2008
save scotts valley says that Threshold will move if the tanks are moved to janis way, but they leased the 80,000 sq ft lipton building in santa cruz before this got started.??????? they are moving...peroid!!!! SAFE!!!!!If the tanks get moved they say they will be in a state of the art container. the tanks would have to come to 800 degres to explode. how can they explode in a conainer and covered in gravel? i think that the idea is make them as save to the public as possible. they moved here in 1954 when the entire scotts valley was on propane. were you here in 1954 and over 18 to make a decision about the propane tanks???? make them safe Scotts Valley!!!!! Propane is all across america.
Shakin ma head

San Jose, CA

#21 Dec 8, 2008
How you gonna cover a tanker truck or bobtail in gravel? These trucks have a blast zone of their own, and there will be 40-50 trips a day through town. Bulk propane doesn't belong in the middle of town. See 30,000 gallon tanks and 50 trucks a day in the middle of Santa Cruz anywhere? Capitola? Aptos?
scaredfitless

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Dec 9, 2008
My shop is right next door to the proposed new site, we will share a parking lot. If it goes off, I and my employees are toast. I notice many of the comments are from folks who don't work or live here. I do both. The increased traffic will suck, the gas smell is going to suck, my insurance increases are gonna suck, and the increased concern for the safety of myself and my staff is gonna suck. I can't help but think that if you were directly effected by this as I am, if you were going to look out of your shop door and see the changes that I will see to our dead end street, you might have a different viewpoint.
love scotts valley

United States

#23 Dec 12, 2008
Increased traffic????? Your saying that you work next to a gas station(Dassels). Should they not get anymore customers? What if you got more customers! If I buy a BMW bike should I go somewhere else to have it serviced? I work on Janis Way, too. How come the insurance is not higher for all of the people who work around where the tanks are now? You say you work and live in the area. Hope you don't live inside your shop. The city will be looking for anything wrong in that area now! Maybe its time for all of the illegal things that are being done in that area to be exposed!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suburban Propane Partners LP Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Getting ready to move: Suburban Propane builds ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Council gettin th... 22
News Getting ready to move: Suburban Propane builds ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Wrangler 1
News Scotts Valley could buy Suburban Propane land t... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Crissa 20
News Scotts Valley buys gateway to new town center (Jan '10) Jan '10 Check the facts 33
News Scotts Valley council clears path for move of p... (Jan '09) Jan '09 homer 93
News Propane tank tussle could delay Scotts Valley T... (Dec '08) Jan '09 TaxPaynMeatEatn R... 35
News Scotts Valley council clears path for move of p... (Jan '09) Jan '09 No Tanks Builder ... 21
More from around the web