Facing budget hole, Santa Cruz counci...

Facing budget hole, Santa Cruz council makes deep cuts to city services

There are 146 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Dec 10, 2008, titled Facing budget hole, Santa Cruz council makes deep cuts to city services. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The outdoor shopping center with retail shops, trendy restaurants, apartments and a new public library could be stalled due to the lack of a new home for the propane tanks on Mount Hermon Road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
RealityCheck

Duque De Caxias, Brazil

#1 Dec 10, 2008
This is sad but unavoidable. There will be many cuts at all levels of government except an explosion of spending at the federal level because the federal level can print it's own money. Unfortunately this printed money is going more to save Wall Street fat cats and irresponsible home "owners" than the average responsible citizen. Local governments are responsible for their own problems too. How much did Santa Cruz spend during the unsustainable go-go years? How much did we all spend thinking it would go on forever?

We need to cut our debt, try our best to keep our jobs, live below our means and prepare for a less materialistic time.
Taxpayer

AOL

#2 Dec 10, 2008
Santa Cruz will have earned the name "SERF CITY", thanks to the tax and spend local government.
Times were good

Hayward, CA

#3 Dec 10, 2008
Times were good while the money flowed, but now we are back to a normal amount of tax money! Time for parents or a parent to take time out away from the TV and coffee at the local coffee shop and spend time with their kids, the tax funded babysitting centers need to go, time for families to be families, time for parents to parent their teenage kids so they keep them out of trouble, not the tax payers. Time for those of us who enjoy the museums to start donating time and money to them and not the tax payers. Time to start taking responsibility for our own instead of expecting others to do so. Big Government needs to go away. If you can't afford to live here, then move where you can. The times were good, time to come back to reality!!!
Kathy

United States

#4 Dec 10, 2008
What a shock. When city leaders and wind bags like Bratton fight against bringing in any sales revenue
this is bound to happen. Molding this town into their idea of utopia, that can't possibly exist, is shameful.
The Scram

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Dec 10, 2008
Times were good wrote:
Big Government needs to go away. If you can't afford to live here, then move where you can.
If you had your wish, you'd better get used to bussing your own tables and fixing your own car. Or is it okay if the underclass lives six to a one-bedroom apartment so you can still get services at a price you can afford.
Times were good

Hayward, CA

#6 Dec 10, 2008
The Scram wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had your wish, you'd better get used to bussing your own tables and fixing your own car. Or is it okay if the underclass lives six to a one-bedroom apartment so you can still get services at a price you can afford.


I like how you sterotype me for my comments. I don't eat out that much, but if I did, I'd bus my own table and most of the time I do because service is slow at most of our local establishments, and I do in fact fix my own automobiles. I use to go to Quality automotive until the local greedy land owner tripled their rent forcing them out of business. If you call these services affordable, your nuts, the local restuarants and machanics are way over priced. Don't sterotype me to one that lives in luxury, I make $50K a year and pay $2K a month in mortgage, insurance and taxes, plus I'm raising 2 teenagers and a 4 year old as a single father,(mom is no where to be found), and none of my kids are in county services. I donate money and time to the Mueseum of natural history by Seabright Beach because it was my favorite growing up in East Side Santa Cruz. So "The Scram", what's your next comment?
Times were good

Hayward, CA

#7 Dec 10, 2008
The Scram wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had your wish, you'd better get used to bussing your own tables and fixing your own car. Or is it okay if the underclass lives six to a one-bedroom apartment so you can still get services at a price you can afford.
Also, they don't have to live 6 to a one bedroom apartment if they move somewhere else. Blame the greedy landowners with 40 plus years of landownership who owe nothing for thier property paying next to nothing in property taxes (Prop. 13)charging out of site rent and laughing all the way to the bank! I grew up with these rich spoiled kids and hear them gloat all the time. I agree it's not fair, and it drove me out of town 12 years ago, but I worked my way back. My point is, we shouldn't have to support kids of parents or a parent who has to work two or three jobs to make ends meet here in Santa Cruz County.
Stray Cat

San Jose, CA

#8 Dec 10, 2008
It seems like the luxury of Santa Cruz charting a civic destiny of its own choosing has now evaporated. It is truly tragic that we will all have to watch as our quaint city slides further into mediocrity. The beautiful natural setting that we all enjoy will remain, but we will be haunted by the question of where did it all go wrong. Prepare for the City of Santa Cruz to evolve into something else that nobody can clearly see right now: we are currently seeing the end.
Raise

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Dec 10, 2008
Didn't the City Council just give the Chief of Police of big raise recently???? Is that being fiscally responsible in the current atmosphere? I understand COLA's, but how many other employees received significant raises in the not too distant past?
Jimmie

Freedom, CA

#10 Dec 10, 2008
Stray Cat asks "where did it all go wrong"? Having lived here almost 40 years, I can tell you it started down hill about 35 years ago with UCSC and very bad political leadership. Tax and spend, too many social services, ignore our failing infrastructure, drive out our business tax base and become one of the most left wing liberal towns in the country. The "dump" the town has become is a shame.
ChicagoCruz

United States

#11 Dec 10, 2008
Sheeple, look under your noses. The progressive machine folks have used quid pro quo to take money from you for years. Their incestuous dynasties are not suffering. Look how they live! Do they sacrifice anything? Heck no!

Teapot dome Tammany Hall power mongerers. Filthy to the core.
wildman

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Dec 10, 2008
It was very entertaining to watch the social scientists beg the City to save their program. Also interesting to see how many folks make a living off the beach flats neighborhood. Not many Mexicans who actually live in the neighborhood, though. I enjoyed the way Mr. Porter pandered to the crowd. He is off the Council, so he was looking for votes in his next run. Absolutely no imagination when it comes to increasing revenue. Single out property owners, and stick it to them. The weaker this council is the better for all who live in the City. Lots of folks in favor of continuing the loser programs, but not a one with the only solution that would work. Did anyone notice a social scientist with a check payable to the City?
Fleecing of Santa Cruz

United States

#13 Dec 10, 2008
Unbelievable. The City can't even run their operations correctly and now they are turning to the residents to try and raise money to save these services? If I failed at my job I can guarantee I wouldn't still have it nor could I ask someone to fix my poor performance. These facilities & services need to close until our local government knows how to run this city properly. Unfortunately it will be to the detriment of the workers and local community but really it would be doing more harm trying to keep them open unless they put in place some of the other alternatives just as Madrigal suggested.

How is it possible that our own "leaders" need to be "led"?

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Dec 10, 2008
If the city cut employees' pay by 5% across the board, that would cover the $4million.

Cut social services. That would save almost $2million - not to mention the savings it would have on the "bum magnet" effect that attracts so many transients to Santa Cruz.

People can donate to social services in order to save them, if they are so worthy.

The city has no business really being in social services to begin with.

What's killing this city, besides the anti-business atmosphere and the cesspit of downtown, is the overly generous retirement and other benefits package that city employees have. This needs to be scaled back.
Fleecing of Santa Cruz

United States

#15 Dec 10, 2008
Xanthippe wrote:
If the city cut employees' pay by 5% across the board, that would cover the $4million.
Cut social services. That would save almost $2million - not to mention the savings it would have on the "bum magnet" effect that attracts so many transients to Santa Cruz.
People can donate to social services in order to save them, if they are so worthy.
The city has no business really being in social services to begin with.
What's killing this city, besides the anti-business atmosphere and the cesspit of downtown, is the overly generous retirement and other benefits package that city employees have. This needs to be scaled back.
Right on brother!
Loser Loses

Soquel, CA

#16 Dec 10, 2008
Stray Cat wrote:
It seems like the luxury of Santa Cruz charting a civic destiny of its own choosing has now evaporated. It is truly tragic that we will all have to watch as our quaint city slides further into mediocrity. The beautiful natural setting that we all enjoy will remain, but we will be haunted by the question of where did it all go wrong. Prepare for the City of Santa Cruz to evolve into something else that nobody can clearly see right now: we are currently seeing the end.
Is it sustainable? Santa Cruz has a Global Warming Czar, well paid, too.

Get your priorities straight,"Stray Cat". You are clearly not a Progressive, and OBVIOUSLY not a Hot-shot. You are nobody, just someone to dismiss, or destroy if you get in the way! Get with it! Join The Movement and goose-step to the pronouncements of untainted and untaintable Leadership, with the votes and beyond reproach!

"Keep Santa Cruz Weird"!
Third Generation

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Dec 10, 2008
Let's just cut the planning dept. in half. What a joke that is!
Feltonite

United States

#19 Dec 10, 2008
A new baby pool area was added to harvey west this summer - why did we spend on that if we were in such financial trouble??
Bob M

San Jose, CA

#20 Dec 10, 2008
Times were good wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, they don't have to live 6 to a one bedroom apartment if they move somewhere else. Blame the greedy landowners with 40 plus years of landownership who owe nothing for thier property paying next to nothing in property taxes (Prop. 13)charging out of site rent and laughing all the way to the bank! I grew up with these rich spoiled kids and hear them gloat all the time. I agree it's not fair, and it drove me out of town 12 years ago, but I worked my way back. My point is, we shouldn't have to support kids of parents or a parent who has to work two or three jobs to make ends meet here in Santa Cruz County.
Spoken by a true liberal socialist who obviously has never attempted to own rental property nor the knowledge of maintaining property or being unaware when a lawful tennent sublets the rooms for their profit whithout the owners knowledge. Granted, there are unscrupulous owners who rent to multiple tennents squeezing as many as will fit to maximize his income. But the neighborhood residents should be able to see this an should contact the city code enforcement officer.
Fleecing of Santa Cruz

United States

#22 Dec 10, 2008
Feltonite wrote:
A new baby pool area was added to harvey west this summer - why did we spend on that if we were in such financial trouble??
A poor choice in trying to generate more visitors to Harvey West in an attempt to increase revenue. It just doesn't seem like this City has a brain...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suburban Propane Partners LP Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Getting ready to move: Suburban Propane builds ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Council gettin th... 22
News Getting ready to move: Suburban Propane builds ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Wrangler 1
News Scotts Valley could buy Suburban Propane land t... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Crissa 20
News Scotts Valley buys gateway to new town center (Jan '10) Jan '10 Check the facts 33
News Scotts Valley council clears path for move of p... (Jan '09) Jan '09 homer 93
News Propane tank tussle could delay Scotts Valley T... (Dec '08) Jan '09 TaxPaynMeatEatn R... 35
News Scotts Valley council clears path for move of p... (Jan '09) Jan '09 No Tanks Builder ... 21
More from around the web