Scotts Valley council clears path for...

Scotts Valley council clears path for move of propane tanks

There are 21 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jan 9, 2009, titled Scotts Valley council clears path for move of propane tanks. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

City leaders have cleared the way for Suburban Propane to move its business to the industrial Janis Way from the Mount Hermon Road spot the gas company has occupied for 54 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Where

Napa, CA

#1 Jan 9, 2009
What happened to all the other comments?
love scotts valley

Salinas, CA

#2 Jan 9, 2009
We are one step closer to having our town center. Thanks you Scotts valley!!!
boulder creek clean freak

San Jose, CA

#3 Jan 9, 2009
when will the scotts valley city council vote on getting all the litter on scotts valley streets cleaned up? has anyone seen the amount of litter that has accumulated at the edge of town on mt hermon road just before lockhart?

there is a truckload of litter at the intersection of SV drive and mt hermon near the shell station as well.

salinas is cleaner than SV these days!

i'm sure the excuse is that there is no money to do it, although it would cost about 100 bucks to hire someone to go and clean it up.
SV DAD

United States

#4 Jan 9, 2009
Thank you city council!
Planner

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Jan 9, 2009
Where wrote:
What happened to all the other comments?
Right here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/santa-cruz-...
When the Sentinel re-writes or re-posts an article, Topix starts the comments over.
Do not get It

Napa, CA

#6 Jan 9, 2009
I really do not understand the mindset of Threshold and all of the other NIMBY's paranoia over these tanks, when I mean just about everybody drives or walks by them almost everyday for 54 years!. They are in the center of town now. Janis Way is not the center, it is zoned industrial area. I believe these companies distribute propane all over the County, so it is not cost effective to be out in the boonies or someplace + there is greater fire danger. When they thought Lockhardt Gulch was a good place, that neighborhood objected, and I agreed. Even if there is a large clearing, if there was a god forbid fire up there, the large tanks would be something add'l for CDF to worry about. They belong in a industrial zoned city area- Janis Way. And put Amerigas down there too. There are thousands of propane customers all over the County and we want low competitive prices. Not inflated prices because of NIMBYISM like this. City's need industrial zoned areas- It's too bad Owen's equipment rental moved out. This Threshold company sounds like a bunch of Google Campus wanabe workers who think they own the place.
GUESS WHO

United States

#7 Jan 9, 2009
Hey Do Not get it, Have you ever driven or walked down janis way? I do, I get gas up there. It would appear that Threshold does own the place. Or at least rents 80% of that street. That's a lot of buildings. That's 600 potential clients for the restuarants and markets on any given day.

I think that 4 out 5 counsil members are enjoying free propane or money towards their elections based on their condescending attitudes. Go to the hearings and listen to the facts.

Since: Apr 08

Santa Cruz County, CA

#10 Jan 9, 2009
correction-"commuters. "
Do not get it

Napa, CA

#11 Jan 9, 2009
Hey GUESS WHO, Threshold doesn't own the lot that Suburban Propane wants. It you get gas up there, now you will be able to get some propane too. Its a good thing we have a City Council that does not make decisions based on paranoid business owners, and all the other NIMBYs. If City planners and leaders allowed businesses with the most clout dictate their decisions, it would be wrong, and I am one who does not mind any condesending behavior towards anyone who advocates wrongful and unethical preferences, even if it means losing 600 employees.
YOPP

United States

#12 Jan 9, 2009
And, down on the dust speck
the scared arrogant Mayor
Quick called a big meeting
in Scotts Valley Town Square.
And his people cried loudly.
They cried out in fear:
“We are here! We are here! We are here!”
Thus Threshold spoke as they climbed.
When they got to the top,
they cleared their throats
and they shouted out,“YOPP!”
And that Yopp…
That one small, extra Yopp put it over!
Finally, at last!
From that speck on that clover
Their voices were heard!
They rang out clear and clean.
And the elephant smiled.
“Do you see what I mean?…
They’ve proved they ARE persons,
no matter how small.
And their whole world was saved
from propane bombs
by the smallest of All!”
No Tanks builder Bustichi

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Jan 9, 2009
Wouldn't it make a great deal of sense to locate the storage near the delivery locations. How many people in SV use propane as opposed to pipe delivered natural gas to heat their homes, cook with or heat there water these days. Most likely more than 95% of the homes in SV use natural gas not LP. The propane users are almost exclusively in rural areas of SLV where it would currently be too expensive to pipe natural gas.. Why should the people of Scotts Valley have to put up with any level of propane risk no matter how small? The users of propane aren't in SV but our City Council would prefer to move the tanks against the objection of locals and in the process lose a good local business that employs 600 people and is growing. Why do we need the propane tanks and propane delivery trucks in Scotts Valley. No Tanks to you Mr. Mayor to you and builder Bustichi.
GUESS WHO

United States

#14 Jan 9, 2009
Like I said. You should have gone to the meeting. Threshold claimed that they were more concern with the extra traffic and potential accidents because of the lack of side walks.

The only people concerned about explosions were the Freaks living up in SV. When employees are treated poorly right to leave a job. Nobody is forced to work anywhere.

Like I said, threshold probably rents their buildings. a dozon or so empty buildings will look great.

Have fun drinking your polluted water! And Good luck with your town center and all of the posh items that your meager wages can't afford!
Do not get it

Napa, CA

#15 Jan 9, 2009
GUESS WHO, Respectfully hear your arguement, but traffic? I think that Suburban has no more than 10 trucks which probably go out early in the morning and come back,(I'm not sure), twice?, max. to refill. And Threshold owns has 600 employees + trucking of their own. Suburban is not adding an unfair and disruptive amount of traffic here, as compared to the traffic on Mt. Hermon Rd.
Secondly, sidewalks?, this is something that can be corrected and probably on the books for future improvements in that area.
Again, the threat of Threshold moving is not a valid reason either, for unethical reasons.
love scotts valley

Salinas, CA

#16 Jan 9, 2009
NO TANKS BUILDER BUSTICHI!!!!! 37% of Suburbans customers have a 95066 zip code.
Gets it

Hayward, CA

#17 Jan 9, 2009
There won't be any sidewalks added to the Janus way area. The ideal solution there would have been if Threshold had rented this dilapidated, unused lot some years ago and made it into a parking lot. In fact, they could probably could still offer the property owner a tidy sum to break the lease they've signed with Suburban, use it as a parking lot, improve everyone's situation, and incur less $$ out of pocket then either a court case or moving.

For the town center? Simple -- propose to move both storage facilities to the Scarborough site supposedly being eyed by Amerigas. There's no gas station next door, and a larger space in which to maneuver these vehicles. Also not a dead end street so if an incident does occur everyone (still standing) will have some opportunity for escape.
No Tanks builder Bustichi

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 Jan 9, 2009
love scotts valley wrote:
NO TANKS BUILDER BUSTICHI!!!!! 37% of Suburbans customers have a 95066 zip code.
Good point 63% of the customers are not located near Scotts Valley and most of the 37% with a Scotts Valley Zip Code are not residents of Scotts Valley but rather pay their taxes to Santa Cruz. Move the tanks closer to the customers and that means out of Scotts Valley. This would be better for everyone including the propane drives who will have shorter delivery routes.
Planner

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 Jan 9, 2009
Move it out of Scotts Valley and the jobs and sales tax goes with it. When something happens like that in Santa Cruz, folks are always quick to criticize the city council for letting it happen. It's kind of interesting to see things going the opposite way here.
homer

San Jose, CA

#20 Jan 9, 2009
love scotts valley wrote:
37% of Suburbans customers have a 95066 zip code.
Of course that's completely irrelevant since the 95066 zip code includes a lot more than the city of Scotts Valley.

I suggest that all sides stop quoting misleading statistics because frankly, they aren't very good at it.

Johnson and Bustichi just won big re-election victories so I have to ask: why the defensiveness?

And why the antagonism toward neighborhoods that have legitimate concerns about projects? It is just stupid and unproductive IMO.

Look, I support both the propane tank moves and the Target but I also believe the adjoining neighborhoods objections to those project have some merit. While those objections shouldn't have veto over the greater good of the city, they also shouldn't be dismissed or demeaned. I just don't understand why the majority of the City Council seems to be going out of their way to piss-off various neighborhoods.
Clown Center

San Francisco, CA

#21 Jan 9, 2009
"Folks, some blogger named "Mark" wrote the above quote (entry #37) supposedly attributed to Randy Johnson. Johnson never wrote or said such a thing. You can dislike him for the arrogance he displays, but at least based your dislike on something he really does or says and not for what some anonymous clown does in the background. "

Hey fact-checker, spell it right says; "The quote you mentioned by 'Marc' is #35. I was there and YES he did say that. It shocked myself and those around me. I will obtain a copy of the minutes myself and by law everything said must be recorded."

Were you there fact-checker? Were you at the meeting? Why do you say Randy never said that when there are eye-witnesses. Are you one of his pro-development followers? Maybe you are the clown. Hey, Clown Center, ha ha.
fact-checker

Hayward, CA

#22 Jan 9, 2009
Clown Center: No, I wasn't there. I was watching on TV, but I did get distracted by family from time-to-time. My objection was to 'Mark' using the quotation approach used in these blogs to cite another blogger. So I'll stand corrected if Randy did say this, or something like it, and agree that it was out of line and in bad character.

But to Planner, I would note that this new proposed facilities will have zero employees and not have SV as point-of-sale, so it will bring no revenue at all to the city (other than the eventual property tax increment for the site improvements). The only benefit to the city is freeing up the town center parcel. The safety improvements are of course a benefit but those could readily happen at the existing (or any other) site.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suburban Propane Partners LP Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Getting ready to move: Suburban Propane builds ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Council gettin th... 22
News Getting ready to move: Suburban Propane builds ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Wrangler 1
News Scotts Valley could buy Suburban Propane land t... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Crissa 20
News Scotts Valley buys gateway to new town center (Jan '10) Jan '10 Check the facts 33
News Scotts Valley council clears path for move of p... (Jan '09) Jan '09 homer 93
News Propane tank tussle could delay Scotts Valley T... (Dec '08) Jan '09 TaxPaynMeatEatn R... 35
News Scotts Valley gas company makes another plea to... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Better business s... 12
More from around the web