Total Hip Replacement
Clayton Johns

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Jul 24, 2012
Friday the 20th of July I had a whole right hip done. I am at home now and resting as well as can be expected. What should I expect? I mean, the people at Spectrum Health were nothing short of awesome all the way around but I must admit that I was (and still am) a little surprised at the pain. I mean, I am now on day 4 (not counting the surgery date) and just got home yesterday and the pain is formidable to say the least. I really did not expect that it would be so immense. I am not a weakling by any means and really I thought that I would be at home and perhaps able to drop down to some OTC medicines to address the pain such as advil or tylenol. WRONG! Right now I feel that it will be years before this pain and swelling subsides! Holy cow! I mean, I just was not prepared for this. The bottom line is that I am grateful for having my new hip and grateful for the folks at spectrum health for being as hospitable and as caring as they were because I have never received such excellent care, but man oh man this pain is alot more than I had anticipated. Just wondering how others felt with their replacements and when I can reasonable expect some progress with the pain. Thanks all!!! Special thanks to my fantastic Doctor Susan Day and all the nurses and nurse assistants at Blodgett Hospital in Grand Rapids. You were all Unbelievable in your treatment to both me and my wife who stayed with me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spectrum Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nurse Stabbed Downtown in Grand Rapids (Mar '14) Mar '14 Go Blue Forever 12
News Brain dead mom gives birth to twins while on li... (Apr '12) Apr '12 DC tells it like ... 16
More from around the web