What happened to Slashdot?

Feb 7, 2010 | Posted by: 5n0wCra5h | Full story: lxer.com

What happened to Slashdot? Geeknet (LNUX) has not created/evolved any of its existing assets or new assets as competitive Web 2.0 entities viz-a-viz digg.com, twitter, facebook, et al. This is simply symptomatic of a lack of passion, lack of bandwidth, the wrong management team and Board of Directors.

"...The Slashdot Effect - I recall times when my articles got slashdotted (a verb contributed to the English language like Googled). You would see several hundred thousand hits. Now one is lucky to see a few thousand. Either the Linux readers have been overwhelmed by the Microsoft web site killers or the articles just don't interest the Free Software Crowd. You should look at the comparison of Slashdot to Digg. You can find an Alexa chart comparing the two sites at this hyperlink. Notice how Digg came out of nowhere to challenge Slashdot. Digg is rated the 439th most trafficed web site on the Internet. Slashdot is ranked 265..." - (March 12, 2006)*

Note: Digg.com's traffic ranking on 2/5/2010 was 70. Slashdot's was 1,135. - (February 5, 2010).

Is Slashdot the future of media? Slashdot fumbles...digg.com, web 2.0 recovers...Arguably the greatest story never told...What happened? Who was asleep at the wheel? The future was literally stolen from slashdot by the present...by smarter, more passionate futurists/technologists as it was being hailed as the future of media...

References:

(February 10, 2006) Is Slashdot the future of media? Source: David Kirkpatrick, Sr. Editor, Fortune Magazine

(February 25, 2006) What Happened to Slashdot? Source: tadelste, LXer

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2

Since: Jan 09

Redmond, Washington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2010

Judged:

/. was digged :)

Since: Jan 09

Redmond, Washington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2010

[UPDATE1] Has Digg Found the Winning Formula for Ads?

Slashdot nemesis Digg took a big risk when it added in-line advertisements that users could digg or bury... Source: http://www.topix.com/com/sourceforge/2010/02/...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent SourceForge Discussions

Search the SourceForge Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bug Finder, a real Win32 extensible passive deb... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Antonio Petricca 1
Movica (software for cut movie) (Jul '11) Dec '12 nobody important 2
Is there any software that will let me create ... (Feb '11) Feb '11 SamSloan 1
ThinkGeek TK-421 iPhone Keyboard Cases Ship (Dec '10) Dec '10 5n0wCra5h 1
ThinkGeek Delays TK-421 iPhone Qwerty Flip-Out ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 TechMaven 2
Is Jay Seirmarco Distancing Himself as Geeknet ... (Nov '09) Oct '10 snow 3
Geeknet replaces its CEO as Q2 sales rise (Aug '10) Aug '10 232 bevor 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••