Fracking comes up clean

Fracking comes up clean

There are 106 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jun 19, 2011, titled Fracking comes up clean. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

A controversial practice that has opened up untold amounts of shale-born natural gas passed its first scientific study with a mostly clean bill of health.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
front

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Jun 20, 2011
What is more important in the big picture water or oil?

What happens to vast amount of water used, and polluted, after the fact?
bought and paid for

Paris, France

#2 Jun 20, 2011
Who exactly wrote this awesome scientific study?
Solar Burn

Farmington, NM

#3 Jun 20, 2011
Great Question!
Roughneck

Florence, AL

#4 Jun 20, 2011
Let's all jump on the conspiracy wagon. Since the study doesn't agree with the views of those whose lives revolve around hating all things related to petroleum it must have been a product of Big Oil.
cold cream

Fort Defiance, AZ

#5 Jun 20, 2011
I'm not a rocket scientist, but when you are "injecting millions of gallons of chemical-laced water and sand at high pressures to create fractures in rock formations", how can one expect not to contaminate ground water? I remember in the 60's when dirlling co's were telling us theat all that crub in the pits would not perculate into the ground water and it wouldn't hurt livestock or wildlife. Ater wells were drilled and the well was established, the other crud that was "shot off", went into a an earthen pit or into the air. We now know the oil and gas people are a bunch of thiefs and fibbers, not to mention greedy. When these rapists have done their misdeeds to mother earth, they will be long gones with not so much as a goodby kiss. Just like other carpet-baggers.
Casual observer

Florence, AL

#6 Jun 20, 2011
How many people who post here will read the actual report? Maybe one. The report doesn't say fracking is 100% safe. It says that the hysteria surrounding the practice is unfounded. Problems with fracking can be solved.
Avenge

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Jun 20, 2011
cold cream wrote:
I'm not a rocket scientist, but when you are "injecting millions of gallons of chemical-laced water and sand at high pressures to create fractures in rock formations", how can one expect not to contaminate ground water? I remember in the 60's when dirlling co's were telling us theat all that crub in the pits would not perculate into the ground water and it wouldn't hurt livestock or wildlife. Ater wells were drilled and the well was established, the other crud that was "shot off", went into a an earthen pit or into the air. We now know the oil and gas people are a bunch of thiefs and fibbers, not to mention greedy. When these rapists have done their misdeeds to mother earth, they will be long gones with not so much as a goodby kiss. Just like other carpet-baggers.
If I'm fracturing a formation 5-9 THOUSAND feet under the surface, and the water wells are 1-6 HUNDRED feet under the surface, how is the fracking water getting into the the surface "ground water?" The answer is: IT ISN'T!! This whole argument is absurd!
Avenge

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Jun 20, 2011
front wrote:
What is more important in the big picture water or oil?
What happens to vast amount of water used, and polluted, after the fact?
The EPA requires that this water be disposed of in an "injection well." Produced water from oil and gas wells is pumped back into the ground--into a formation that is much too deep to ever pollute the "domestic" water near the surface.
Avenge

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Jun 20, 2011
To "Cold Cream"---Do you own a car? Do you own a telephone? Do you own a computer? Do you shop in a supermarket? I could go on...YOU CAN'T DO THESE THINGS WITHOUT OIL AND GAS!
Who is more evil, the person who produces oil, or the person who uses the products made from oil?
bnp

Palo Alto, CA

#10 Jun 20, 2011
If man is involved, we will screw it up. If oil companies are involved, profit will blind any reasonable effort to ensure safety. There are alway variables that man cannot not control nor foresee...
Mark

United States

#11 Jun 20, 2011
Another Sunday B.S. article from the Daily Times about the future of our economy. So what happened with the Bobby Willis V.A. hospital project??? Dont blow smoke up our --- Daily times.
frick

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jun 20, 2011
I think the problem is that this article glosses over the negatives, and there are some huge negatives, and presents a rosy picture.

If you seriously see no problem of polluting millions and millions of gallons of your own drinking water (in a desert) and then injecting this poisoned water back into the ground as if that is the end of it then there is really no reasoning with you.

It is not Operation Plowshare but end is just as dire.
PLFM

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Jun 20, 2011
frick wrote:
I think the problem is that this article glosses over the negatives, and there are some huge negatives, and presents a rosy picture.
If you seriously see no problem of polluting millions and millions of gallons of your own drinking water (in a desert) and then injecting this poisoned water back into the ground as if that is the end of it then there is really no reasoning with you.
It is not Operation Plowshare but end is just as dire.
Farming pollutes millions of gallons of water and then puts it back into the rivers. We need to kill the farming industry as well?
The water in the formations that are beeing Fracked is extreamly polluted to begin with, full of hydro carbons. The earth acts as a big filter in this situation. Any water that makes its way from these formations to the surface will be safe.
cold cream

Fort Defiance, AZ

#14 Jun 20, 2011
Avenge wrote:
<quoted text>
If I'm fracturing a formation 5-9 THOUSAND feet under the surface, and the water wells are 1-6 HUNDRED feet under the surface, how is the fracking water getting into the the surface "ground water?" The answer is: IT ISN'T!! This whole argument is absurd!
If your flimsy explanation were true, then fracing wouldn't work, would it. What makes you thing that after your frac job is done, natural forces of heat and pressure wont puts your crap to the water bearing formation. Do you know how oil and gas was formed, nut job? Quite a bit of naurual prssure, enough to force your head further up your ass.
cold cream

Fort Defiance, AZ

#15 Jun 20, 2011
PLFM wrote:
<quoted text>
Farming pollutes millions of gallons of water and then puts it back into the rivers. We need to kill the farming industry as well?
The water in the formations that are beeing Fracked is extreamly polluted to begin with, full of hydro carbons. The earth acts as a big filter in this situation. Any water that makes its way from these formations to the surface will be safe.
Who wants to lick the filter paper that "filtered" the water. Anybody that beleives that you can inject sh it from the toilet to the septic system and it won't make it back into the water bearing formations is nieve. Crap does not just volatoliz, evaporate, or otherwise dissappear. Out of sight is NOT out of mind.
Avenge

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jun 20, 2011
I am an engineer and have studied these things for over 40 years. I am qualified to tell you how they work. I can try to put them in very simple terms that you might be able to understand.
The natural pressure will push the oil, gas, and water from the ground formation back up through the well. It does not push it from one formation to the next...the rock formations will not allow it. If it were able to go from formation to formation, it would be coming up out of the ground all over the place. It doesn't work that way.
Please don't resort to namecalling.
Robert F

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#17 Jun 20, 2011
"A controversial practice that has opened up untold amounts of shale-born natural gas passed its first scientific study with a mostly clean bill of health."
Which scientific study is this referencing? The original 2005 EPA study was a literature review only using data that was 20 25 years old at the time before the current evolution of the process was even being used.
I would also point the recent Duke University study that stated that methane was 17 times more likely to be in water wells where hydraulic fracturing occurred and they didn't test for chemicals as they had no idea what to test for thanks to "trade secrets," so they tested for bromides only. The industry also claims that THEY have baseline tests before drilling started and refused to release the information.
Also there's the issue of Chesapeake being levied a $1m fine in PA for contamination of USDW and surface water. Also last year EPA officials condemned 25 water wells in Pavilion, Wy because of contamination by known fluids used in the drilling process.
And then there's Dimock PA where Cabot was fined,issued a cease and desist order and ordered to pay restitution.
I believe you are spreading false information in your zeal to jump on this bandwagon.
Jacob

Farmington, NM

#18 Jun 20, 2011
cold cream wrote:
How many of you idiots drive a vehicle?? How many of you cook or heat your home with natural gas??
Yep, there ya go.
PLFM

Phoenix, AZ

#19 Jun 20, 2011
cold cream wrote:
<quoted text>Who wants to lick the filter paper that "filtered" the water. Anybody that beleives that you can inject sh it from the toilet to the septic system and it won't make it back into the water bearing formations is nieve. Crap does not just volatoliz, evaporate, or otherwise dissappear. Out of sight is NOT out of mind.
You are the nieve one. The reason the oil and gas do not make it to the surface is a cap rock formation. The cap rock has no pores and the hydro carbons and frack fluids CAN NOT REACH THE SURFACE. Now go hug a tree.
Frustrated

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Jun 20, 2011
The issue I have with the oil and gas companies is WHERE they decide to locate their wells and drilling. Why do they have to put their wells on the top of hills, or in locations where we all have to look at these "eye-sores". To me this just indicates they are arrogant and feel they can do what ever, and where ever they want. I have seen SO MANY awesome locations where I would love to build a house, and it is ruined by a well site. I'm not against drilling or facking - I just fail to understand why there isn't a little more effort to drill someplace I don't have to look at.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Juan Basin Royalty Trust Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jobs picture remains unclear - Business Journal... (Oct '11) Oct '11 clearly 2
News Public meeting tonight for BLM's visual managem... (Jul '11) Jul '11 BigGov 3
News High water? Not yet (Jun '11) Jun '11 The TEXAN 7
News Group rallies against Navajo Water Rights Settl... (May '11) May '11 Nava Joe 132
News Census reveals Farmington has grown by 20 percent (Mar '11) Mar '11 YYY 28
News Celebrating 50, community supporting, years (Oct '10) Oct '10 Elephant 1
News AA, Eagle to trim departures from San Juan (Sep '10) Sep '10 Prost 9
More from around the web