Darwin Day 2008 - the comprehensive list of articles written for the occasion

Feb 11, 2008 Read more: www.scientificblogging.com 207

Darwin Day is an international celebration of Darwin's achievements in science held on February 12th, the day that Charles Darwin was born in 1809.

Read more

Since: Apr 07

United States

#22 Feb 12, 2008
Henry wrote:
You will probably ask me to prove that there is a God and by the same token I could ask you to prove that there is not. Only BIBLICAL Christianity (not hypocritical Christianity) proves the point that NONE of us are perfect and, if you think about it that is the IDEAL place to begin. Man's pride has kept him from admitting this and it is the reason that Jesus said, "Ye MUST be born again!" Who was (IS) Jesus? He IS God manifest in the flesh and came to earth to pay the death penalty that we are so apt to pass onto others through war, abortion, murder and just plain outrageous anger. You say that you wish you could believe in God... Simple faith in God is much easier to believe than you think. You need only BELIEVE to have him reveal himself in marvelous way to you!
<quoted text>
Nah, Henry you're the one who claims there's a god . I could care less about gods, fairy tales, fables and Jewish Folklore from yesteryear . If you wish to try and prove there's a ghostly god , have at it. For now I'm satisfied that there isn't and if there ever was he's been gone a long time. I think people just created the concept out of fear or ridiculous egotism. Ignorance is bliss !!

United States

#23 Feb 12, 2008
blogman wrote:
"Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory or the incorruptable God for an image in the form of corruptable man... and worshipped and served the creation instead of the Creator....." Romans 1
Perhaps this is the most profound statement in all human literature.It is considered Divine Scripture, still it was written by the Apostle Paul. How could he have fathomed such an amazing concept, being a mere human being himself?
You see, Darwins observations and conclusions are all imperical, they are easily deduced from factual observations. However, one must exercise extreeme faith to account for all the missing pieces. There is little to observe from millions of years past but fragments and pieces. You have to believe we are correctly piecing together the fragments. This requires faith.
Paul's statement in Romans however, cannot come to a humans mind by any power of observation and science. It has to come spiritualy. It communicates to that part of us that is eternal and spiritual. Darwins theory is earthly and carnal.
There is really no conflict between Darwins theory and Pauls statement in Romans. Darwin is doing what Romans tells us mankind, seperated from God and his spiritual roots, is destined to do.
Faith is always a choice. Once we compell or obligate someone to believe a certain way it is no longer faith, but coersion. The sad fact regarding all of this is that we are coersed into believing evolution, that ultimately requires faith to believe, thus usurping true faith, that longs to find our real origins and connections with God.
Are you the boogieman???
Enforce the Law

Lewisville, TX

#24 Feb 12, 2008
kelmark wrote:
Psalm 118:8 Thats classic simple thinking at its best. I wish there was a god to but of corse there's not. So listen to your words again, but this time truly think there is no god and the word of your bible will mean something else to you. You'll hear the human in every word. They tricked you didn't they? Or maybe your mind won't let you think outside the box, in which case you got God for good.
Don't forget Psalm (106:11-19)
God is praised for the creative ways that he kills people: drowning, earth-swallowing, burning, etc.
Enforce the Law

Lewisville, TX

#25 Feb 12, 2008
blogman wrote:
<quoted text>
The injustices of man-made religion do not nullify God. You have obviously been hurt at the hand of religious people, like so many others. God is love and mankind is not. If you search for Him, you will find Him. He is looking for you.
Psalm (2:8-9)
If you ask God, he'll force heathens to be your slaves and help you "dash them in pieces."
Trying Hard

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#26 Feb 12, 2008
blogman wrote:
"Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory or the incorruptable God for an image in the form of corruptable man... and worshipped and served the creation instead of the Creator....." Romans 1
Perhaps this is the most profound statement in all human literature.It is considered Divine Scripture, still it was written by the Apostle Paul. How could he have fathomed such an amazing concept, being a mere human being himself?
You see, Darwins observations and conclusions are all imperical, they are easily deduced from factual observations. However, one must exercise extreeme faith to account for all the missing pieces. There is little to observe from millions of years past but fragments and pieces. You have to believe we are correctly piecing together the fragments. This requires faith.
Paul's statement in Romans however, cannot come to a humans mind by any power of observation and science. It has to come spiritualy. It communicates to that part of us that is eternal and spiritual. Darwins theory is earthly and carnal.
There is really no conflict between Darwins theory and Pauls statement in Romans. Darwin is doing what Romans tells us mankind, seperated from God and his spiritual roots, is destined to do.
Faith is always a choice. Once we compell or obligate someone to believe a certain way it is no longer faith, but coersion. The sad fact regarding all of this is that we are coersed into believing evolution, that ultimately requires faith to believe, thus usurping true faith, that longs to find our real origins and connections with God.
Wow and Amen to that.
Teacher

United States

#27 Feb 12, 2008
Jakob wrote:
If you believe in Darwins Theory then you must adhere to the belief that there is a Master Race of people that should rule over the rest of us.
Well sure I do...it's the apes from which we are descended! If you don't think so, just check out the Holy Book, Philesians 3:16 "And He and his descendants shall rule over all the world, and over those who follow false religions and who pernicate in the temples of our heads. And they shall be meant to burn in the fires of heaven for eternity for their transgressions of driving while under the influence of cell phones and Ipods."

“Got Science?”

Location hidden

#28 Feb 12, 2008
Alan wrote:
If Darwinism is truly the great unifying principle of biology, it encompasses large areas of ignorance and gaps. It fails to explane the most basic question of all: how lifeless chemicals came alive.
All science has this weakness so it's something of a strawman. Even a child can poke holes in electromagnetic theory and gravity - yet our lack of ability to define a magnetic field does not prevent you from using your computer or a $140 billion industry from thriving.

Stating that evolution has no value until it can explain everything is positively un-scientific.
Jakob wrote:
If you believe in Darwins Theory then you must adhere to the belief that there is a Master Race of people that should rule over the rest of us
As was written there on this exact same error in logic, blaming Darwin for Hitler is like blaming a spoon for making Rosie O'Donnell fat.

United States

#29 Feb 12, 2008
Alan wrote:
If Darwinism is truly the great unifying principle of biology, it encompasses large areas of ignorance and gaps. It fails to explain the most basic question of all: how lifeless chemicals came alive. Charles Darwin himself said in his book The Origin of Species the "the view of life with its several powers, having been breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one" The Astronomer Carl Sagan acknowledged in his
book Cosmos: "The fossil evidence could be consistent with the ides of a Great Designer"
Let's give the Genesis account a fair hearing.
I've been around scientists a long time and I've never heard them denounce Genesis or God etc. They are simply following the evidence and it's leading them away from those once heralded concepts . Evolution has given us a tool to work with like the hammer roofer uses to complete his task. Evolution is a foundation , a beginning if you will that led us to DNA and the GENOME SEQUENCE Those concepts form the basis for all of medicine practiced today . It helped us discover our lives at a molecular level so that we understand the processes of life . Religion is fearing religion because many of the things they've taught themselves just aren't plausable . The bible is not driven by common sense (reality) it is driven by magic.(supernaturalism) To answer the first part of your question evolution only deals with life once it begins . It has nothing to do with how it started in the first place .
GatorBUILT

Charlotte, NC

#30 Feb 12, 2008
Henry wrote:
Darwin has inadvertently plotted the DOWNFALL of the human race and thinking man. In his philosophy we are no better than the animals. It should be no surprise to anyone that the world has become more dangerous as a result. Our schools require the police to keep them safe, we murder our unborn children, we see our politicians call for the need of change when in fact we HAVE changed, but not for the better. America, we could have been a light to the world but in abandoning the constitution and even the general references to the "Creator of natures laws" (united States delcaration of INDEPENDANCE)in favor of secular humanism we have effectively shot ourselves in the foot. We do not need change, especially darwinian change, where man thinks that he is so smart, but a RETURN to the princilples of the Bible. These principles are NOT conservative and they are NOT liberal, they are moderate and logical AND they alone will preserve and advance mankind to what it ought to be!
Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
And why no the Quran or Torah or books of Buddha, or the books that didn't go into the bible, or Aztec fables, or Greek myths or Roman myths or Norse myths...Why not? Why? Because you are a bigoted, prejudiced short-sighted scared little lamb...Darwin did not create nor invent evoultion, you fool...it is INHERENT in the universe...you folks who continue to BLAME others, why not summon your almighty deity to correct it?...can it not do as it wishes?...perhaps your great fairy simply enjoys this little game...ever think of that? That YOU are not so special...that YOU are expendable...that YOU are nothing more than a collection of molecules for the amusement, abuse or at-will disposal based on your deities whims? Nooooo, that would acknowledge that your deity as just another cruel and uncaring fable, right? BAck to the Bible? You mean when women and childen were beaten, raped and tortured...you mean when doing anything on the sabbath was punishable by death...when poeple were stoned to death...what a silly concept...go start your own theocracy and see where it gets you...right back to the stone age, you doddering fool...The US was founded BECAUSE of selective, abusive, bigoted theocratic governance...know your history, or be doomed to repeat it!

United States

#31 Feb 12, 2008
I don't mean this in a rude way but its clear that creationists are brainwashed . Science is not out to ( get ya ) Science hasn't even considered whether there is a GOD or not . Science doesn't care. Science only goes where the evidence leads .If science is not matching up to what religion says in its hypotheses it doesn't mean SCIENCE is wrong nor does it consider whether or not religion is right or wrong . The book that you use as guidance is one or many and has been scrutinized and changed over thousands of years . Much of it is outdated . There are many books that guide and teach proper socialization among men . The Koran, The book of Mormon,Hinduism, just to mention a few. Christianity has many questionable teachings that are attributed to Christ yet were fashionable in Hinduism some 600 years prior . Both have the Trinity, The Virgin Birth , The birth in a barn . Coincidence?
Science is the Answer

Derby, KS

#32 Feb 12, 2008
Anyone who is a true scientist could never believe in the theory of evolution. I've spent my entire career in scientific research after studying chemistry in college. I've worked with many scientists that are experts in their field and I recognize the difference between true science and those who use it for advantage by manipulating the information. Any unbiased examination of true science confirms and demonstrates the existence of God revealed in the Bible.
GatorBUILT

Charlotte, NC

#33 Feb 12, 2008
Henry wrote:
You will probably ask me to prove that there is a God and by the same token I could ask you to prove that there is not. Only BIBLICAL Christianity (not hypocritical Christianity) proves the point that NONE of us are perfect and, if you think about it that is the IDEAL place to begin. Man's pride has kept him from admitting this and it is the reason that Jesus said, "Ye MUST be born again!" Who was (IS) Jesus? He IS God manifest in the flesh and came to earth to pay the death penalty that we are so apt to pass onto others through war, abortion, murder and just plain outrageous anger. You say that you wish you could believe in God... Simple faith in God is much easier to believe than you think. You need only BELIEVE to have him reveal himself in marvelous way to you!
<quoted text>
Sorry Hank...but decalrign the Nicene Creed, whcih was a VOTE by HUMANS...to be a god-given fact just shows your lack of fundamental knowledge of Xian history...it took an emperor, Constantine, to legalize Xianity and subsequently convoke a council of bishops to decide what books would be contained in the Canonical bible, as there ARE other Xian bibles that are utilized...and then it took another vote to decide whether Jesus was merely mortal..wholly divine, or dually both...my guess is they didn't teach you about that in Sunday school...they usually skip the details...funny how Xianity was created by a democratic process and then corrupted by a dictatorial fascist governance.
GatorBUILT

Charlotte, NC

#34 Feb 12, 2008
Alan wrote:
If Darwinism is truly the great unifying principle of biology, it encompasses large areas of ignorance and gaps. It fails to explane the most basic question of all: how lifeless chemicals came alive. Charles Darwin himself said in his book The Origin of Species the "the view of life with its several powers, having been breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one" The Astronomer Carl Sagan acknowledged in his
book Cosmos: "The fossil evidence could be consistent with the ides of a Great Designer"
Let's give the Genesis account a fair hearing.
Hmmm...Evolution doesn't explain the ORIGINS of loife...it explains the DIVERSITY...so you failed that part of biology...see Abiogeneis, Spermatogenesis, etc, etc...WRONG concept...Also, there are several acconts of Genesis...hel, two in the canonical bible...care to tel us where Cain's wife miraculously appeared from? Nah, that would require intellect, instead of faith... and reading outside books instead of ONLY the canonical bible...I sugest you read the 'banned' books like Jubilees, Enoch, Adam & Eve, Thomas, James and Nicodemus...let's just say that Cain 'really' liked his sister.
Pray to Zeus

Tampa, FL

#35 Feb 12, 2008
Happy Birthday Darwin!!!! You were brilliant in being able to see what is, and to put together a theory that has become the basic groundwork for science, genetics, biology etc. Your observations were acurate, and your theory has lasted for the past 150 years under the constant violent attacks of religious nutcases. The more evolution is studied, the stronger your theory becomes. Yes, like gravity, it's a theory of how things work, but like gravity, there is no question that the basic premise is correct. There has NEVER been any evidence that either gravity or evolution is wrong, and every bit of evidence supports these theories as factual, even if we may not understand how it works 100%, that doesn't discount the fact that it DOES work.

Darwin, you would be amazed to learn that evolution can be observed. We have seen plants and animals change at an amazing pace. This has some drawbacks. No matter how fast doctors find new antibiotics, bacteria continue to evolve and become resistant to them. The same goes with weeds and insects who evolve immunities to poisons in just a few generations. There are people who have studied various species of animals, including your finches, and can actually measure the results of evolutionary change from one generation to the next.

Unfortunately, the church continues to spread a great deal of ignorance about your theory, just as it has numerous important theories in the past. Uneducated people continue to spread ignorance, but your theory is strong and well accepted among educated people. These ignorant people however, are quite happy to accept the scientific advances and medical care that has resulted from the basic understanding that you brought to this world. Happy Birthday!
GatorBUILT

Charlotte, NC

#36 Feb 12, 2008
Science is the Answer wrote:
Anyone who is a true scientist could never believe in the theory of evolution. I've spent my entire career in scientific research after studying chemistry in college. I've worked with many scientists that are experts in their field and I recognize the difference between true science and those who use it for advantage by manipulating the information. Any unbiased examination of true science confirms and demonstrates the existence of God revealed in the Bible.
Send us some names and sources...you are part of the .17% of scientists whom do not believe in the ToE...BTW: are you suggesting that an untestable theory of the the creation myth supercedes the Theory of Evolution? Any peer-reviewed studies? Any evidence, ANYTHING? Michael Behe was abused in the Dover Trial...so are you claiming to have more, or better knowledge,or are you just another crackpot? I could just as easily claim that the gods of Greek mythology are the true creators of the universe...so tell me how you would deny my 'claim.'
GatorBUILT

Charlotte, NC

#37 Feb 12, 2008
Jakob wrote:
If you believe in Darwins Theory then you must adhere to the belief that there is a Master Race of people that should rule over the rest of us.
Why..race is just a socio-political construct...we are ALL the same species you dolt: Homo sapiens sapiens...it's the curious and the intellectuals who rule the rest...you faithful just do as your told, and it will be just fine.
Be Rational and Moral

Bay City, TX

#38 Feb 12, 2008
Darwin Day expresses gratitude for the enormous benefits that scientific knowledge, acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity, has contributed to the advancement of humanity.
Celebrate Science and Humanity. Find out what "The Mainspring of Human Progress" is. Curiosity and Discovery of Reality is energizing and thrilling - It produces fun and a better standard of living.
I repeat: Darwin Day expresses gratitude for the enormous benefits that scientific knowledge, acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity, has contributed to the advancement of humanity.
Count Da Money

Portland, OR

#39 Feb 12, 2008
Reunite Gondwanaland!!

Then all will be well.

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

#40 Feb 12, 2008
Count Da Money wrote:
Reunite Gondwanaland!!
Then all will be well.
Careful bringing up the THEORY of plate tectonics and continental drift. After all, it's not observable and never mentioned in the bible. You start yapping on about the "original land" and next you know someone's claiming that god flicked the earth with his finger and broke apart the lands in his anger at man's arrogance.
Science is the Answer

Derby, KS

#41 Feb 12, 2008
Common sense is the first principle of science. Equating theory with fact is just not using common sense. Concluding that an amoeba somehow mutated through some unknown chemical process to create a tenable improvement in it's upward journey of evolution, that eventually enables it to crawl out of the ocean, walk upright and become man is pure speculation. The textbook charts showing this in cartoon format have absolutely no scientifically verifiable basis yet are taught as the only "scientifically sound" truth. Statistics alone make this such a remote possibility that to even consider it demonstrates a complete lack of scientific thought.

On the other hand, examining the infinite complexity and order of both the smallest fragments of matter and the amazing scope of the universe we live in, reveal the infinite wisdom and power of the Creator.

It is clear anyone that refuses to acknowledge this fact, quickly resorts to outlandish criticism as a tool to deflect attention from the reason they hold to fairy tales:

Romans 1
20:For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21:Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22:Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

I suggest you continue reading the Bible. Your argument is not with me or anyone else that is trying to point you toward truth. No doubt you will respond with verbal criticism, but your true argument is with God. I'm simply trying to give you some advice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scientific Games Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News D.C. Lottery Vendor Avoids City Law (Apr '13) Apr '13 Playslip 2
News KADIAN (morphine sulfate extended-release) Caps... (Oct '06) Jul '12 praxix9 108
News Consumers hoping to end economic woes spend pre... (Jan '09) Jan '09 Mangler 8
News As economy falls, lottery sales rise (Jan '09) Jan '09 Resident 11
News Many states' lottery sales are rising in recession (Jan '09) Jan '09 Living In Margari... 1
News Wednesday Options Outlook: BJ, ORCL, XHB, DTV, ... (Sep '08) Sep '08 raquel 1
News St. Jude quarterly profit up 27 percent on defi... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Gary 1
More from around the web