Darwin Day 2008 - the comprehensive list of articles written for the occasion

Feb 11, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 207

Darwin Day is an international celebration of Darwin's achievements in science held on February 12th, the day that Charles Darwin was born in 1809.

Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

“Religion stops a thinking mind”

Since: Nov 07

Salt Lake City, UT

#209 Mar 12, 2008
Cvvl wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that that was the selling point that got Christianity through the Dark & Middle Ages - that all the crap that people had to endure, in meekness and humility and poverty, will be rewarded a thousand-fold in the afterlife. Good way to keep the serfs in line, toiling away their entire miserable lives. I wonder if anyone thought to promise them a gaggle of virgins as part of the loyalty rewards package?
You can't very well offer anything sexual when sex is icky unless when used to make more slaves.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#210 Mar 12, 2008
imagine a soul , imagine a god , because that's what some people do. Then they try to influence those who live reality and tell them that what they've imagined for themselves is real and here's the verse Flippo v19 chap43 in the book of darts written by sea bound Scots while chugging pints of guinness. A god was involved here too and after hours of prayer he guided them back to shore where they unloaded plenty of whale blubber for everyone . All hail to the wonderful god of the Scotsmen who sacrificed his life one storm ridden night so that all would get a chance to go to his father's paradise .All-hail Al-flippo and his merry men

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211 Mar 13, 2008
my left foot wrote:
Science doesn't ask whether or not GOD exists . Science doesn't care . Religion feels threatened by the concepts being brought forth through testing and validation. Just listen to the preachers who have suddenly been given divine instructions on the red phone and they will tell you that god is upset . Nah, they are upset because there livelihood is being challenged and the gaps are filling fast . We are learning and that is scary . Throughout history religion has had a real problem adapting to change . Just read a little and see for yourself . Religion always circumvents challenges by creating chaos or fear. It's what those types of institutions do best .
Ya know lefty....you bring up some good "thinking" questions to ponder on. A good example is, if we (the people of Earth) actually find the proof that extra-terrestrial life truly exists. How does that play into the creationist's view that God created man, and only man? It wouldn't and, thus we would have a dilemma on our hands. How owuld we explain to those fundamentalists that they have always believed in the wrong things? Again, we couldn't because they were try to prove ET is a hoax. Fine, let them, but it would still be the real truth about man and his existence in the universe.

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

#212 Mar 13, 2008
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know lefty....you bring up some good "thinking" questions to ponder on. A good example is, if we (the people of Earth) actually find the proof that extra-terrestrial life truly exists. How does that play into the creationist's view that God created man, and only man? It wouldn't and, thus we would have a dilemma on our hands. How owuld we explain to those fundamentalists that they have always believed in the wrong things? Again, we couldn't because they were try to prove ET is a hoax. Fine, let them, but it would still be the real truth about man and his existence in the universe.
That is an interesting thought.

I disagree that they'd deny aliens, though. I could foresee them finding evidence of aliens in the bible that was "overlooked" before because no one understood the context or the reference or whatever.

Now, if we found aliens who showed us how they seeded the primordial earth with primitive life to watch it evolve, then I suspect you'd hear all about how the aliens are minions of the devil come to spread lies and crises of faith.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#213 Mar 15, 2008
You are both counting on a "suppose" world that only exists in your fanatical thinking . You've given no indication as to where or when these "speculative" aliens may appear (sounds like the boogie man to me). I agree that it's a vast universe but that is it. period . We have nothing that tells us any different so why tag all confusing data to aliens or gods or spirits of any kind . So far when we've done that it's only caused wars and destruction and devastation. Allah and God have sponsored many a war ( it's silly )

“Ron Paul 2008 President”

Since: Nov 07

Hartselle, AL

#214 Mar 16, 2008
my left foot wrote:
You are both counting on a "suppose" world that only exists in your fanatical thinking . You've given no indication as to where or when these "speculative" aliens may appear (sounds like the boogie man to me). I agree that it's a vast universe but that is it. period . We have nothing that tells us any different so why tag all confusing data to aliens or gods or spirits of any kind . So far when we've done that it's only caused wars and destruction and devastation. Allah and God have sponsored many a war ( it's silly )
Well, the stars are innumerable, and it wouldn't surprise me if their were life more intelligent than ours...

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

#215 Mar 17, 2008
my left foot wrote:
You are both counting on a "suppose" world that only exists in your fanatical thinking . You've given no indication as to where or when these "speculative" aliens may appear (sounds like the boogie man to me). I agree that it's a vast universe but that is it. period . We have nothing that tells us any different so why tag all confusing data to aliens or gods or spirits of any kind . So far when we've done that it's only caused wars and destruction and devastation. Allah and God have sponsored many a war ( it's silly )
This is a lot of stating the obvious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scientific Games Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
D.C. Lottery Vendor Avoids City Law (Apr '13) Apr '13 Playslip 2
KADIAN (morphine sulfate extended-release) Caps... (Oct '06) Jul '12 praxix9 108
Consumers hoping to end economic woes spend pre... (Jan '09) Jan '09 Mangler 8
As economy falls, lottery sales rise (Jan '09) Jan '09 Resident 11
Many states' lottery sales are rising in recession (Jan '09) Jan '09 Living In Margari... 1
Wednesday Options Outlook: BJ, ORCL, XHB, DTV, ... (Sep '08) Sep '08 raquel 1
St. Jude quarterly profit up 27 percent on defi... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Gary 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Scientific Games People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••