Darwin Day 2008 - the comprehensive list of articles written for the occasion

Feb 11, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 207

Darwin Day is an international celebration of Darwin's achievements in science held on February 12th, the day that Charles Darwin was born in 1809.

Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

“Got Science?”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#1 Feb 12, 2008
They even have Darwin as Obi-wan stickers?? I'd stick one of those on a notebook.

Next year is the bicentennial. Here's hoping the hysteria from the fringes of militant atheism and religion has died down by then.

People may not like what others do with evolution but there's no denying its scientific value.
Henry

New Rochelle, NY

#2 Feb 12, 2008
Darwin has inadvertently plotted the DOWNFALL of the human race and thinking man. In his philosophy we are no better than the animals. It should be no surprise to anyone that the world has become more dangerous as a result. Our schools require the police to keep them safe, we murder our unborn children, we see our politicians call for the need of change when in fact we HAVE changed, but not for the better. America, we could have been a light to the world but in abandoning the constitution and even the general references to the "Creator of natures laws" (united States delcaration of INDEPENDANCE)in favor of secular humanism we have effectively shot ourselves in the foot. We do not need change, especially darwinian change, where man thinks that he is so smart, but a RETURN to the princilples of the Bible. These principles are NOT conservative and they are NOT liberal, they are moderate and logical AND they alone will preserve and advance mankind to what it ought to be!

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
jteamjohn

Virginia Beach, VA

#3 Feb 12, 2008
Henry wrote
Darwin has inadvertently plotted the DOWNFALL of the human race and thinking man.

Wow, I could not have said that better myself. Very good insight on your part. I think the perfect verse to back up what you have said here is the very heart and center of the Holy Scriptures, Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.
God bless you Henry.
kelmark

Auburn Hills, MI

#4 Feb 12, 2008
Just think if darwin would have been there in place of Jesus. I think we would have colonized and terraformed mars by now. The quicker we shake this hole god thing the better off. We need to keep are population low and sleek and worshop the earth as our (creator) and treat it as such. Don't fear the darkness, I don't believe in any sort of a god thing and I'm as happy as a hornett. And when I die lets hope I didn't rape the earth to much when I was alive. I'll be a happy man if on my death bed I'd now all the wasted space of all the churchs that worship your fairytale would have been turned into research centers for the advancement of human thought. Instead of a place of judgment and control. We now whats right, don't we?
kelmark

Auburn Hills, MI

#5 Feb 12, 2008
Psalm 118:8 Thats classic simple thinking at its best. I wish there was a god to but of corse there's not. So listen to your words again, but this time truly think there is no god and the word of your bible will mean something else to you. You'll hear the human in every word. They tricked you didn't they? Or maybe your mind won't let you think outside the box, in which case you got God for good.
bro Al

United States

#6 Feb 12, 2008
"My theory of evolution is that Darwin was Adopted."
-Stephen Wright
Jesse_ Cristoff

Newington, CT

#7 Feb 12, 2008
Darwin has been naturally selected to move on to the next stage, HELL! Burn in hell Darwin!
Teacher

United States

#8 Feb 12, 2008
Evolution is a theory...it helps explain how our world works. Kind of like gravity. You don't have to believe in evolution or gravity, just don't step off the edge of a tall building unless you have already been "born again". Then, you'll be saved. Try it.
All Starstuff CS

Albany, NY

#9 Feb 12, 2008
Happy Darwin Day!!!
TLB

Blue Bell, PA

#10 Feb 12, 2008
Gee, nothing like the mention of Darwin or evolution to bring all of the morons out. Yo, Henry, you'd think you could at least spell the Declaration of Independence correctly (delcaration of INDEPENDANCE!! You must be kidding!!). Just continue believing in your make-believe god and everything's going to be just fine....
Henry

New Rochelle, NY

#11 Feb 12, 2008
Only fools believe they are perfect (that includes typos...)
TLB wrote:
Gee, nothing like the mention of Darwin or evolution to bring all of the morons out. Yo, Henry, you'd think you could at least spell the Declaration of Independence correctly (delcaration of INDEPENDANCE!! You must be kidding!!). Just continue believing in your make-believe god and everything's going to be just fine....
Lenape

United States

#12 Feb 12, 2008
VIVA LA EVOLUCION!!!
Henry

New Rochelle, NY

#13 Feb 12, 2008
You will probably ask me to prove that there is a God and by the same token I could ask you to prove that there is not. Only BIBLICAL Christianity (not hypocritical Christianity) proves the point that NONE of us are perfect and, if you think about it that is the IDEAL place to begin. Man's pride has kept him from admitting this and it is the reason that Jesus said, "Ye MUST be born again!" Who was (IS) Jesus? He IS God manifest in the flesh and came to earth to pay the death penalty that we are so apt to pass onto others through war, abortion, murder and just plain outrageous anger. You say that you wish you could believe in God... Simple faith in God is much easier to believe than you think. You need only BELIEVE to have him reveal himself in marvelous way to you!
kelmark wrote:
Psalm 118:8 Thats classic simple thinking at its best. I wish there was a god to but of corse there's not. So listen to your words again, but this time truly think there is no god and the word of your bible will mean something else to you. You'll hear the human in every word. They tricked you didn't they? Or maybe your mind won't let you think outside the box, in which case you got God for good.
blogman

Redding, CA

#15 Feb 12, 2008
"Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory or the incorruptable God for an image in the form of corruptable man... and worshipped and served the creation instead of the Creator....." Romans 1
Perhaps this is the most profound statement in all human literature.It is considered Divine Scripture, still it was written by the Apostle Paul. How could he have fathomed such an amazing concept, being a mere human being himself?
You see, Darwins observations and conclusions are all imperical, they are easily deduced from factual observations. However, one must exercise extreeme faith to account for all the missing pieces. There is little to observe from millions of years past but fragments and pieces. You have to believe we are correctly piecing together the fragments. This requires faith.
Paul's statement in Romans however, cannot come to a humans mind by any power of observation and science. It has to come spiritualy. It communicates to that part of us that is eternal and spiritual. Darwins theory is earthly and carnal.
There is really no conflict between Darwins theory and Pauls statement in Romans. Darwin is doing what Romans tells us mankind, seperated from God and his spiritual roots, is destined to do.
Faith is always a choice. Once we compell or obligate someone to believe a certain way it is no longer faith, but coersion. The sad fact regarding all of this is that we are coersed into believing evolution, that ultimately requires faith to believe, thus usurping true faith, that longs to find our real origins and connections with God.
Alan

United States

#16 Feb 12, 2008
If Darwinism is truly the great unifying principle of biology, it encompasses large areas of ignorance and gaps. It fails to explane the most basic question of all: how lifeless chemicals came alive. Charles Darwin himself said in his book The Origin of Species the "the view of life with its several powers, having been breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one" The Astronomer Carl Sagan acknowledged in his
book Cosmos: "The fossil evidence could be consistent with the ides of a Great Designer"
Let's give the Genesis account a fair hearing.

Since: Oct 07

United States

#17 Feb 12, 2008
Science today is more concerned about trying to disprove religious beliefs than it is about understanding our world.
Trying Hard

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#18 Feb 12, 2008
kelmark wrote:
Sorry some people feel that way and are so bitter and rebellious. The bible teaches us that if one simply asks GOD to reveal himself he will. Why is it that people who believe only in scientific principle never apply it to finding the true answer? The experiment is right there. Simply ask with a sincere heart and true desire to know the truth and God will reveal it. I agree, if you do not believe they are just words on a page. I do believe and the words are alive and teach principles that cannot be understood unless one believes
Enforce the Law

Lewisville, TX

#19 Feb 12, 2008
Evolution - It's not rocket science.
blogman

Redding, CA

#20 Feb 12, 2008
kelmark wrote:
Just think if darwin would have been there in place of Jesus. I think we would have colonized and terraformed mars by now. The quicker we shake this hole god thing the better off. We need to keep are population low and sleek and worshop the earth as our (creator) and treat it as such. Don't fear the darkness, I don't believe in any sort of a god thing and I'm as happy as a hornett. And when I die lets hope I didn't rape the earth to much when I was alive. I'll be a happy man if on my death bed I'd now all the wasted space of all the churchs that worship your fairytale would have been turned into research centers for the advancement of human thought. Instead of a place of judgment and control. We now whats right, don't we?
The injustices of man-made religion do not nullify God. You have obviously been hurt at the hand of religious people, like so many others. God is love and mankind is not. If you search for Him, you will find Him. He is looking for you.
Jakob

Irving, TX

#21 Feb 12, 2008
If you believe in Darwins Theory then you must adhere to the belief that there is a Master Race of people that should rule over the rest of us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scientific Games Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
D.C. Lottery Vendor Avoids City Law (Apr '13) Apr '13 Playslip 2
KADIAN (morphine sulfate extended-release) Caps... (Oct '06) Jul '12 praxix9 108
Consumers hoping to end economic woes spend pre... (Jan '09) Jan '09 Mangler 8
As economy falls, lottery sales rise (Jan '09) Jan '09 Resident 11
Many states' lottery sales are rising in recession (Jan '09) Jan '09 Living In Margari... 1
Wednesday Options Outlook: BJ, ORCL, XHB, DTV, ... (Sep '08) Sep '08 raquel 1
St. Jude quarterly profit up 27 percent on defi... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Gary 1
•••

Scientific Games People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••