Starbucks closing U.S. 600 stores

Starbucks closing U.S. 600 stores

There are 109 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 1, 2008, titled Starbucks closing U.S. 600 stores. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Starbucks Corp. Tuesday has announced it's closing 600 underperforming stores in the United States.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

United States

#123 Jul 5, 2008
wskrs wrote:
<quoted text>
When I am the only one on bar all day (on a day when I am not running the shift and have no management duties - yes, I should get a share of tips) and on days when I am running the shift, I am still serving customers, etc.
Most supervisors don't just sit around barking orders -- they actually do some of the work. They're still mgmt.

Like I said up front, if SB wants you to perform mgmt tasks, they should pay you accordingly. That you think you should get a slice of the tips suggests that they are not.

Munster, IN

#124 Jul 5, 2008
$5 for a cup of wonder they are closing

Since: Jun 08

Chicago, IL

#125 Jul 6, 2008
LMAO1 - I'm saying, not every shift that I work is one that I am 'supervising.' There are days when I am only following orders. If I didn't get tips, baristas would be making more money than me if you factor tips in.

Trust me, I'd love to make more, but we are not managers. Managers have a salary, place orders, interview, hire, fire, deal with corporate, make schedules, etc. We do not, and most of the time, our managers are in the back, sitting. We are out serving customers, just like everyone else. Who gets tips? The people who serve the customers.

If I was making what the assistant MANAGERS or store MANAGERS make, I wouldn't need, nor would I want tips.

Draper, UT

#126 Jul 10, 2008
What do you call it when Starbucks closes 600 stores?

Draper, UT

#127 Jul 10, 2008
Someone should put that on a t-shirt.
Oh, they did.
call Just Add Coffee in Utah.

New York, NY

#128 Dec 30, 2011
Wow!! Seriously?? This is probably because there are a lot of coffeemaker machines available to the market so that they can make their own coffee at home that tastes just as great as the ones in starbucks..i have mine and I got it there on sale: .

Chicago, IL

#129 Jan 23, 2012
As much as I love Starbucks, their coffee is just ridiculously expensive. I just make mine at home with my new coffee maker which I got on sale here:

United States

#130 Feb 14, 2012

San Antonio, TX

#131 Feb 29, 2012
I love Starbucks! But I do have to agree it is way too expensive. But I kind of cheat the system and either get coupons offline or get the giftcards from the online sites that give them away! Sad day that they are closing stores. Hopefully they won't be closing the one right next to mine!!
Here's a site for one of the giftcards

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Starbucks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
can I order this? Oct 8 Leelo19 1
Join bonus stars Oct 3 Cheryl 1
Safe, yes or no? Sep 28 John L 1
News Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz Endorses Hillary C... Sep '16 Dee Dee Dee 5
News Podcast with your latte? Starbucks to offer ori... Sep '16 Actual Science 10
News Starbucks moves into "content creation" with di... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
Question about bagged coffee beans sold in stores Aug '16 Claire 1
More from around the web