A scary new free-speech prescription

There are 6 comments on the Evening Sun story from May 14, 2011, titled A scary new free-speech prescription. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

The First Amendment might not protect a false cry of "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

Since: Dec 07

Arlington, VA

#1 May 15, 2011
The First Amendment means what the Supreme Court says it means. While the Court's doctrines on commercial speech may extend beyond what we commonly think of as protected speech, it would be difficult for this or any Court to quickly overrule the line of precedents, even if the beneficiaries are the bloodsuckers of Big Pharma. The solution to being suckered by them is to become educated about the medicines you need and how to pay the lowest prices, which may include mail-order pharmacies and generics for significant savings.
Amanda

Gettysburg, PA

#2 May 15, 2011
This is a horrible idea. Medical information should be guaranteed private. Period.

I wonder if some people might forgo treatment for "embarrasing" conditions because they don't want the entire business world informed of their condition? I can just imagine the horror of a rape victim opening her mail to see ads for STD treatments. Will the advertisers be required to use plain covered envelopes? Or can we all expect colorful flyers that announce to the world that we're overweight, incontinent, or suffering from menstrual disorders?!
whomever

Blackwood, NJ

#3 May 15, 2011
Modern day drug companies are no better than the playground pushers of yesteryear, complete with, psst, wanna free sample? Now they may even have the Supreme Court working for them. But why not? The entire government is already corrupt.
simplicity

Hanover, PA

#4 May 17, 2011
The intent of the constitution is clear and simple. The line of precedents mentioned in an earlier comment represent the systematic weakening and perverting of that intent to favor corporations over citizens. The Supreme Court itself is violating the intent of the constitution and flipping the bird to the citizens. We have a "free market" that is not really free, and a "democracy" that is not democratic. Corporations have to be restrained by law, or they become a gang of thugs with no sense of social responsibility whatsoever. If they are not controlled they will wreck the entire world.
Michelle

Gettysburg, PA

#5 May 17, 2011
simplicity wrote:
The intent of the constitution is clear and simple. The line of precedents mentioned in an earlier comment represent the systematic weakening and perverting of that intent to favor corporations over citizens. The Supreme Court itself is violating the intent of the constitution and flipping the bird to the citizens. We have a "free market" that is not really free, and a "democracy" that is not democratic. Corporations have to be restrained by law, or they become a gang of thugs with no sense of social responsibility whatsoever. If they are not controlled they will wreck the entire world.
I agree wholeheartedly with your comment. It will become increasingly harder now to sue companies in court as a class action lawsuit due to the recent supreme court ruling. http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla...

This vote was 5-4, with the vote going along ideological lines. Conservative judges sided with AT&T, the others with the plaintiff.

Under this ruling, we are increasingly losing our rights to redress grievances.
the middle way

Hanover, PA

#6 May 22, 2011
You're dealing with the same court system that decided that corporations are the same as real human beings when it comes to campaign financing, opening floodgates of special interest money to politicians. What happened to my PRIVACY? We worry about government snooping, but the courts are okay with private concerns snooping. What am I missing?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ims Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New class of sleep drugs may offer a safer nigh... (Jul '12) Jun '14 Polang 8
News Negligible generic Lipitor sales for Teva - report (Dec '11) Jun '13 Yadiel 2
News Supreme Court hears prescription-drug data mini... (Apr '11) Apr '11 shinningelectr0n 1
News UTC Star Executive, Ari Bousbib, Leaving UTC Se... (Aug '10) Aug '10 MrLogical 1
News Diabetics cut back on care in recession (Apr '09) Nov '09 a thin diabetic 38
News Letter: Profits put your health in danger (Aug '08) Sep '08 Ted Burrell 3
News Many elderly waive Part D - (Aug '07) Sep '07 CEE 4
More from around the web