Questions, worries, arguments precede...

Questions, worries, arguments preceded blast on BP oil rig in Gulf

There are 4 comments on the LA Daily News story from Sep 8, 2010, titled Questions, worries, arguments preceded blast on BP oil rig in Gulf. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

BP was preparing to plug its well 50 miles off the Louisiana coast, and longtime technical adviser Jesse Gagliano was running computer models to finalize details.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Wiley Coyote

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Sep 8, 2010
great information, but the cement is outside the pipe and below the blowout protector that failed so it really doesnt matter a whole bunch. there wasnt any gas leaking out around the blowout protector so it was never an issue of the cement failing. The issue of gas seeping into the casing is bs, that same gas is typically also in the oil reservoir, most wells produce both gas and oil. In the past, the gas was "flared" off, using large stacks with 100 foot flames coming out the top until environmentalists complained. Now it is separated and piped away.
this is just a red herring to divert attention from the blowout protector that was maintained and supplied by Transocean that had both a hydraulic failure and a dead battery. The blowout protector is supposed to react to a surge and it didnt.
Dick

Palmdale, CA

#2 Sep 9, 2010
Blame, blame, blame, they only need to find out what happened and ensure that it will not happen again. I have watched cost trump safety by management in my line of work so I don't find it unusual that the same arguements would exist on this rig. Pressures on managers to deliver on time on budget needs to be eliminated where safety is concerned, but try to tell the money people that since they usually are not in harms way or held personally accountable when it goes wrong. Less governmental oversight is not a bad thing in many cases, and this is one. Businesses can't be trusted to control themselves to serve the public good over self service; at least that would never happen on Wall Street or the banks, just on the oil rigs, so if we fix this oil drilling safety problem all will be well in the country.
Josh S

Ontario, CA

#3 Sep 9, 2010
Where is the rest of the story?!?! It dropped me like a cliff hanger! Great article till the end!
Stabilizer

United States

#6 Jun 26, 2011
Seems you have no knowledge of how BOPs work. A blowout preventer is just that, a PREVENTER. Nobody makes a blowout REVERSER, which is what a lot of people think the BOP should do.

You are way off target. The question to ask is with 23,000 feet of hole between the drill floor and the well bottom, how on earth didn't they manage to notice when OVER THREE MILES of drilling fluid was pushed out of the hole by gas and oil coming in?

The drill crew is the Blowout NOTICER, who should then activate the Blowout PREVENTER, because after the explosion it's too late, as I said there is no such thing as a Blowout REVERSER.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transocean Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Despite Gulf oil spill, rig owner executives ge... (Apr '11) Apr '13 ltsellers 4
News Is This Expert's Testimony Damaging for Transoc... (Mar '13) Mar '13 lre 1
News BP Gulf of Mexico Rig Disaster, Spill and Litig... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Davey Jones 2
News BP oil spill, Gulf of Mexico, oil rig, smoke, s... (Jul '12) Jul '12 ouch bich 2
News Board: BP missed the big hazard issues in spill (Jul '12) Jul '12 Dwight Baker 1
News Court hearing to discuss oil spill subpoenas (Apr '12) Apr '12 Dwight Baker 1
News Brazil judge blocks Chevron, Transocean injunction (Feb '12) Feb '12 Dwight Baker 1
More from around the web