As the nation struggles, temporary wo...

As the nation struggles, temporary work becomes permanent

There are 27 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 17, 2010, titled As the nation struggles, temporary work becomes permanent. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Hans Horton is a temp worker in finance IT and is implementing a new software program at North Memorial Hospital.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
All together now

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jul 18, 2010
It will continue to be harder to get permanent employment. Over the years of DFL initiatives that always blame the business first, it has made permanent hiring much more expensive and risky. So, again like in Europe, companies are just bring on temps. The left is astoundingly stupid on economics.
All BS

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jul 18, 2010
All together now wrote:
It will continue to be harder to get permanent employment. Over the years of DFL initiatives that always blame the business first, it has made permanent hiring much more expensive and risky. So, again like in Europe, companies are just bring on temps. The left is astoundingly stupid on economics.
.
My company has hired 6 new employees in the last month and a half and still working on a few more.
All together now

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jul 18, 2010
All BS wrote:
<quoted text>
.
My company has hired 6 new employees in the last month and a half and still working on a few more.
Well of course there are permanent hires, but the trend toward temp workers is undeniable.
You are using typical teenagerish DFL reasoning.
more info please

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jul 18, 2010
All BS wrote:
<quoted text>
.
My company has hired 6 new employees in the last month and a half and still working on a few more.
What type of business is it? Products/services provided?
I was out golfing yesterday. Got paired up with a guy who worked for a company producing electrical harnesses for things like military equipment. Business was steady, he said. Other days, when paired with others on the course, I've actually been the only one employed out of the 4-some (and I am part time now, no benefits.) These were electricians, I.T. professionals, managers of various ilks, etc.

Less pay. No benefits. No reasonable amount of certainty. Eventually, more and more government reliance. Socialism is in full effect, folks. It didn't start in 2008, either, or even 2006.
Whatever

Portland, OR

#7 Jul 18, 2010
All together now wrote:
It will continue to be harder to get permanent employment. Over the years of DFL initiatives that always blame the business first, it has made permanent hiring much more expensive and risky. So, again like in Europe, companies are just bring on temps. The left is astoundingly stupid on economics.
More expensive and risky... From my expereince working with a temp agency, and holding so called temp to hire positions the cost is not that much cheaper. A given company pays a temp their hourly wage along with paying the temp agency that the individual is placed in. What it comes down to is corporate america bypassing expenses of work force reductions in the means of layoffs. I guess that I am confused about how DFL initiatives have anything to do with the subject matter. In reality, this would be more on the lines of corporate america following the rights way of cutting costs.
In conclusion, you must think that those crazy intiatives of 401k's, health benefits, and other compensation packages are just to costly. Be a good american citizen and wave your rights to those compensation packages to save the expenses and risks that corporate america faces.
Dudley Dooright

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jul 18, 2010
Why the distinction between temporary vs permanent workers?? Especially in a day in age when permanent workers are temporary too. Hans should be happy he is working and work to make his own breaks, not sacrifice himself for the illusion of a "permanaent" job, because ultimately there is no such thing as a "permanent" job.
Dudley Dooright

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jul 18, 2010
All together now wrote:
It will continue to be harder to get permanent employment. Over the years of DFL initiatives that always blame the business first, it has made permanent hiring much more expensive and risky. So, again like in Europe, companies are just bring on temps. The left is astoundingly stupid on economics.
This has nothing to do with politics, it's business. Healthcare costs are mostly to blame for why companies are favoring temp vs perm workers. Also, you can hire 4 engineers in India or China for the price of 1 in America. BTW, after 8 years of George Bush, I've come to the conclusion that Republicans are completely clueless about economics too (ie deficit spending and trickle-down "voodoo" economics).
Hazen

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jul 18, 2010
Dudley Dooright wrote:
<quoted text>
This has nothing to do with politics, it's business. Healthcare costs are mostly to blame for why companies are favoring temp vs perm workers. Also, you can hire 4 engineers in India or China for the price of 1 in America. BTW, after 8 years of George Bush, I've come to the conclusion that Republicans are completely clueless about economics too (ie deficit spending and trickle-down "voodoo" economics).
Amen to that!!
Mike

Saint Cloud, MN

#12 Jul 18, 2010
The difference with this recession is that a lot of people being eliminated were making good money. Before, they cut people from the bottom. To make a real difference in the budget, you have to cut farther up the line. It adds up fast when you cut people that are making $100,000 a year compared to $25-30,000 a year.
All together now

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jul 18, 2010
Dudley Dooright wrote:
<quoted text>
This has nothing to do with politics, it's business. Healthcare costs are mostly to blame for why companies are favoring temp vs perm workers. Also, you can hire 4 engineers in India or China for the price of 1 in America. BTW, after 8 years of George Bush, I've come to the conclusion that Republicans are completely clueless about economics too (ie deficit spending and trickle-down "voodoo" economics).
Of course politics is a factor, look at ANY survey of business leaders and they all find the Obama administration and the democrat controlled congress to be very anti-business. This is why many businesses aren't spending and factors in permanent hiring especially with large companies. The republicans might be bumbling but the democrats are downright hostile to business. This has clearly been Obama's attitude and in fact he has recognized as much and supposedly trying to change that. We'll see, actions will count.
All together now

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jul 18, 2010
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
More expensive and risky... From my expereince working with a temp agency, and holding so called temp to hire positions the cost is not that much cheaper. A given company pays a temp their hourly wage along with paying the temp agency that the individual is placed in. What it comes down to is corporate america bypassing expenses of work force reductions in the means of layoffs. I guess that I am confused about how DFL initiatives have anything to do with the subject matter. In reality, this would be more on the lines of corporate america following the rights way of cutting costs.
In conclusion, you must think that those crazy intiatives of 401k's, health benefits, and other compensation packages are just to costly. Be a good american citizen and wave your rights to those compensation packages to save the expenses and risks that corporate america faces.
You sound like a mushy headed DFLer. The fact is we still have a free market economy that reacts to risk and reward. Temp workers are less risky and cheaper because of lower liability and no benefits. Employee benefits, in particular health care, rose so dramatically over the last 3 decades as to significantly add to cost and risk. Plus factor in a global economy, good and bad. It is supply and demand. If you have skills that are in demand you will get hired and can negotiate your price. All government workers are still enjoying full benefits and decent pay, but those conditions will be coming to an end as the taxpayer literally cannot afford to pay it.
more info please

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jul 18, 2010
All together now wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course politics is a factor, look at ANY survey of business leaders and they all find the Obama administration and the democrat controlled congress to be very anti-business. This is why many businesses aren't spending and factors in permanent hiring especially with large companies. The republicans might be bumbling but the democrats are downright hostile to business. This has clearly been Obama's attitude and in fact he has recognized as much and supposedly trying to change that. We'll see, actions will count.
I agree with many things you are saying. However, under Socialism, there are still very LARGE businesses.(THe "haves" and the "have-nots" if you will.) In Germany, there were plenty of large business, but a lot of it was Nationalized as is becoming the norm today in the U.S.(GM, the Banks, Chrysler, on and on.) Obama is very PRO-LARGE business and most importantly, Pro-large BANKS. The anti-business angle comes in where small business is concerned. They cannot get credit now. Drive through any number of areas in the twin cities. Every town looks alike. The same big businesses and banks are on every street corner giving us "choice" while so many small businesses are boarded up. Only the biggest political contributors survive. Large companies have their employees already, and have thinned out their workforces to be as cheap as possible.(Walmart ain't paying employees much to man the fort.)
The laws, international treaties (look up things like ACTA, for example) and "bailouts" have all been constructed to force out the little guy and started well before Obama.(Clinton changed the banking regulations, George Bush Sr. NAFTA, for example.) The scary part is, they are making INTERNATIONAL laws now which are outside of the Constitution (see: ACTA.) It makes you wonder if it is still in effect, actually. History is repeating, folks. It is slow, as to not get people riled up, and they won't realize it until it is much too late. All designed to make people wards of the state with no choice and reliance on Government and little choice in consumer goods but those which benefit the select societal elite. That billboard that went up in Iowa (and was forced to be taken down? Where did the 1st Amendment go?) Closer to home than many realize right now.
more info please

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jul 18, 2010
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

Thomas Jefferson,(Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
more info please

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jul 18, 2010
((Federal Reserve. Created after the Great Depression.))

Money is a concept, folks. Don't ever forget that. There is nothing backing it but our "confidence" in it.(Fiat currency.) The issuance of currency was taken from the people (Treasury Department) and transferred to the PRIVATE Federal Reserve Bank with the creation of the Fed in 1933. The large banks have sprung up around them (Citi, Lehman, etc.) The large, multi-national companies are in full swing and consolidating business more and more every day.
They are collecting info on everyone (does it make you nervous yet the sixth richest man on Earth owns Oracle, a database company?) More and more, they will not even need warrants.(Again, see ACTA.) Free speech is dying. The internet is a threat due to its sharing of information.
No Outsourcing

United States

#19 Jul 19, 2010
They sure got rid of the old timers at Allianz! Shipped jobs to India and Argentina courtesy of IBM!
Whatever

Portland, OR

#20 Jul 19, 2010
All together now wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like a mushy headed DFLer. The fact is we still have a free market economy that reacts to risk and reward. Temp workers are less risky and cheaper because of lower liability and no benefits. Employee benefits, in particular health care, rose so dramatically over the last 3 decades as to significantly add to cost and risk. Plus factor in a global economy, good and bad. It is supply and demand. If you have skills that are in demand you will get hired and can negotiate your price. All government workers are still enjoying full benefits and decent pay, but those conditions will be coming to an end as the taxpayer literally cannot afford to pay it.
In the content of what I wrote, what makes anything that I said sounds like a DFLer?
Once again, are you willing to take just your salary as compensation? You sound like a good ol' boy that is willing to do what you need for your country. Step up to the plate...
Healthcare has risen significantly resulting in greater risk...! Who do you think that we can blame that one on? Since I am considered to be a mushy head DFLer, I would assume it would be the other side.
Never did I say that I thought the use of temp workers were shady in my comment. It has nothing to do with what you, or the article is talking about. There are plenty of people in the world that have "skills" to meet the demands to be hired permanantly. It simply comes down to employers being pessimistic on the economy.
Oh yeah, I am glad that your intelligent enough to understand that there is risk and reward in a free market. Thanks for the elementary education on the economy, and supply and demand. You are probably on of those d-bags that turns everything into politics.
All together now

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Jul 19, 2010
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
In the content of what I wrote, what makes anything that I said sounds like a DFLer?
Once again, are you willing to take just your salary as compensation? You sound like a good ol' boy that is willing to do what you need for your country. Step up to the plate...
Healthcare has risen significantly resulting in greater risk...! Who do you think that we can blame that one on? Since I am considered to be a mushy head DFLer, I would assume it would be the other side.
Never did I say that I thought the use of temp workers were shady in my comment. It has nothing to do with what you, or the article is talking about. There are plenty of people in the world that have "skills" to meet the demands to be hired permanantly. It simply comes down to employers being pessimistic on the economy.
Oh yeah, I am glad that your intelligent enough to understand that there is risk and reward in a free market. Thanks for the elementary education on the economy, and supply and demand. You are probably on of those d-bags that turns everything into politics.
Then you need to get off the sauce because you sure sound like a DFLer because of your teenager a s s like comments. And you do NOT seem to understand a free market economy as you ramble on semi-incoherently. We all want to make as much as we can and get great benefits and not give up some of it for the good of our country? What is that supposed to mean? A good salary and good benefits is dependent on the market worth of that job, not because "you think you deserve it and it's the right thing to do". The exception of course are government and union workers. Most government workers being one and the same.
Whatever

Portland, OR

#22 Jul 20, 2010
All together now wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you need to get off the sauce because you sure sound like a DFLer because of your teenager a s s like comments. And you do NOT seem to understand a free market economy as you ramble on semi-incoherently. We all want to make as much as we can and get great benefits and not give up some of it for the good of our country? What is that supposed to mean? A good salary and good benefits is dependent on the market worth of that job, not because "you think you deserve it and it's the right thing to do". The exception of course are government and union workers. Most government workers being one and the same.
Obviously reading comprehension is not your strong point. Your good for the country comment is off point. You stated that healthcare is the reason for increased risk. All that I said is to waive YOUR rights to them. Nobody else. You! You preach your healthcare cost rhetoric, WELL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT... Reduce the risk of the company that you work for by waiving those compensation packages. Maybe other nuttjobs like you will follow. Did you notice that I put you in my comments.
Bus Driver

Minneapolis, MN

#23 Jul 20, 2010
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Reduce the risk of the company that you work for by waiving those compensation packages. Maybe other nuttjobs like you will follow.
No body follow NUTJOB YOU!
Waving to your own right!
Stay off forum!!
Making NO senses at all! Hope you NO KIDS ever!!
Whatever

Portland, OR

#24 Jul 20, 2010
Bus Driver wrote:
<quoted text>
No body follow NUTJOB YOU!
Waving to your own right!
Stay off forum!!
Making NO senses at all! Hope you NO KIDS ever!!
What in gods name are trying to say? Please enlighten us...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robert Half International Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Many firms plan to add workers in first quarter (Dec '05) Mar '13 Joe Balls 7
News Review resume, cover letter to catch slipups (Mar '11) Mar '11 Controversy 1
News Ohioans face loss of benefits, but some jobs ex... (Dec '10) Dec '10 poor baby 24
News Job hiring expert says picture in Solano County... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Native Vallejoan 3
News Hiring expert says job picture in Solano County... (Oct '10) Oct '10 john 1
News Survey: CIOs tightening access to social networks (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike Faber 1
News 119 jobs available at job fair Friday (Dec '09) Dec '09 Yawn 2
More from around the web