The American Story Behind Gangs and G...

The American Story Behind Gangs and Gun Violence

There are 7 comments on the www.theatlantic.com story from Feb 14, 2013, titled The American Story Behind Gangs and Gun Violence. In it, www.theatlantic.com reports that:

Like everyone, we at The Atlantic have spent the weeks since Newtown thinking about the role of guns in America. In our ongoing effort to broaden the conversation, I spent some time talking to Professor Harold Pollack, who co-directs the Crime Lab at the University of Chicago. Pollack is one of the foremost voices on gun violence from a public health perspective. Pollack and his colleagues at the Crime Lab have done yeoman's work in helping us understand how guns end up on the streets of cities like Chicago, and how precisely they tend to be used.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlantic.com.

Sheik Yerbouti

Southampton, PA

#2 Feb 14, 2013
Most of the violence is cultural and (c)rap 'music' is the cause. Listen to the 'lyrics' glorifying murder, drug dealing and the gangster life! Even worse the savages that produce this garbage walk away with millions. Western civilization has a very serious illness!(c)rappers have even invaded the white house! criminals like gay z are welcomed!!Sick!!

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#3 Feb 14, 2013
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Most of the violence is cultural and (c)rap 'music' is the cause. Listen to the 'lyrics' glorifying murder, drug dealing and the gangster life! Even worse the savages that produce this garbage walk away with millions. Western civilization has a very serious illness!(c)rappers have even invaded the white house! criminals like gay z are welcomed!!Sick!!
Thank you, Tipper Gore.
Papillon

Sacramento, CA

#4 Feb 14, 2013
GUN CONTOL GUN CONROL GUN CONTROL GUN CONTROL

90% of gun violence in the USA is committed by three groups:

1- illegal Mexican
2- The ghetto crowd / rappers
3- muslims.

But democRATS will not touch these groups because they and ther conduct are considered to be politically correct.

"Black-out' is a term used by the ghetto crowd/rappers to kill entire families, children and babies, EVEN THEIR OWN FAMILY, for money or drugs.
demoRATS NEVER call for GUN CONTROL.

Illegal Mexicans who commit home invasions along border states and shoot every family member.
democRATS NEVER call for GUN CONTROL.

Muslims who go on jihad murder rampages, such as the muslim father & son team (DC Snipers) who shot and killed dozens of American citizens in the easter states.

Muslim HASAN who shot and killed dozens of American citizens and wounded dozens more at Fort Hood TX.
democRATS NEVER called for GUN CONTROL.
In fact, muslim Barrack Hussein Obama permitted HASAN to keep his pension of $4,800 per month.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#5 Feb 15, 2013
This country has had guns from its inception.

When I was in middle and high school, we had rifle clubs and shooting competitions sponsored by the schools. It wasn't uncommon for teachers and students to show / compare their guns in the school parking lot.

When I was 12 years of age, in the Boy Scouts, we regularly went to a shooting range. There were no mass shootings, no disgruntled students or employees shooting up schools or places of business. Obviously, it wasn't the guns.

That all started changing when Johnson took office. The Great Society program. National welfare. Highway beautification. Never mind that the inner cities were starting a down hill slide, we have to hide those junkyards from view.

Kids can't pass on to the next grade? We don't want to hurt their little feelings. We'll pass them along anyway, even if they can't read and write.

Florida passed a law in the 70's that graduating high school seniors had to read at an 8th grade level. WHAT? How freaking stupid is that? I had to go to summer school 2 years in a row because I wouldn't do the work and suddenly dumbasses get to skate by? No wonder this country is in the toilet.

Long ways around to make a point and I apologize to one and all.

It isn't the guns. It is the culture. If you don't think liberalism is a disease, look at every other industrialized country on the planet that went liberal. Every one of them went down the toilet and many of them now are desperately trying to claw their way back out of the cesspool.

America, the great.... R.I.P.

“Open your eyes”

Since: Sep 09

Central Florida

#7 Feb 15, 2013
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Most of the violence is cultural and (c)rap 'music' is the cause. Listen to the 'lyrics' glorifying murder, drug dealing and the gangster life! Even worse the savages that produce this garbage walk away with millions. Western civilization has a very serious illness!(c)rappers have even invaded the white house! criminals like gay z are welcomed!!Sick!!
You cannot pin it to one particular thing. Like Rap music.

The issue is cultural within our society.

Besides music, you have movies, television, video games, and real life with the wars.

The people have become immune to the thought of violent acts. Turn the news on, you will see more blood and guts on that than anything else. You will see more violence on the news as well.

As the financial situation continues to deteriorate, more violence will take place. When people lose everything and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.

The people have lost their morality. And since morality is tied to our humanity, then have thus lost some of their humanity.
Ken

Tampa, FL

#9 Feb 15, 2013
Kahoki wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot pin it to one particular thing. Like Rap music.
The issue is cultural within our society.
Besides music, you have movies, television, video games, and real life with the wars.
The people have become immune to the thought of violent acts. Turn the news on, you will see more blood and guts on that than anything else. You will see more violence on the news as well.
As the financial situation continues to deteriorate, more violence will take place. When people lose everything and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.
The people have lost their morality. And since morality is tied to our humanity, then have thus lost some of their humanity.
OK then forget the Rap Music..... ITS GHETTO BLACKS ...is that clear enough ?

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#11 Feb 15, 2013
Papillon wrote:
GUN CONTOL GUN CONROL GUN CONTROL GUN CONTROL
90% of gun violence in the USA is committed by three groups:
1- illegal Mexican
2- The ghetto crowd / rappers
3- muslims.
But democRATS will not touch these groups because they and ther conduct are considered to be politically correct.
"Black-out' is a term used by the ghetto crowd/rappers to kill entire families, children and babies, EVEN THEIR OWN FAMILY, for money or drugs.
demoRATS NEVER call for GUN CONTROL.
Illegal Mexicans who commit home invasions along border states and shoot every family member.
democRATS NEVER call for GUN CONTROL.
Muslims who go on jihad murder rampages, such as the muslim father & son team (DC Snipers) who shot and killed dozens of American citizens in the easter states.
Muslim HASAN who shot and killed dozens of American citizens and wounded dozens more at Fort Hood TX.
democRATS NEVER called for GUN CONTROL.
In fact, muslim Barrack Hussein Obama permitted HASAN to keep his pension of $4,800 per month.
And it is YOU who makes guns available for them..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reuters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bill Clinton Took Twice As Many Flights On 'Ped... May 20 IsTrumpDodgingThis 2
News Trump preparing plan to dismantle Obama's Wall ... May 18 Worst POTUS Ever 4
News Obama slams Trump in speech: 'Ignorance is not ... May 16 Webster 10
News New York Republicans and Democrats agree: Wall ... May 12 josephbarkley 3
News Democrats gird for fight with Trump in U.S. Rus... May 9 goonsquad 9
News Nearly half plan vote for Hillary or Trump to b... May 9 Cat74 9
News Why Trump's rise does not spell the end for the... May 5 Observation 1
More from around the web