China-Made Kid's Jewelry, Toys Recalled -

Full story: Newsday 61
Toys and children's necklaces made in China were recalled Wednesday, including five more items from the popular Thomas & Friends Wooden Railway product line, because they contain dangerous levels of lead. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
iron clad

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1 Sep 27, 2007
That's what we get when we outsource American Jobs. I hope the toy market is hit so hard, that they have no other choice but to re-establish American manufacturing.
not again

Denver, CO

#2 Sep 27, 2007
buy cheap, buy twice. corporate greed, save the money.
BUY AMERICAN.....
jdw

Silver Spring, MD

#3 Sep 27, 2007
iron clad wrote:
That's what we get when we outsource American Jobs. I hope the toy market is hit so hard, that they have no other choice but to re-establish American manufacturing.
"We" never outsourced anything. The business owners, quite understandably, want to keep their costs as low as possible. Amazingly, costs are so high in America that it is cheaper for businesses to produce goods all the way over in China, put the finished product on a boat, and then send that boat all the way over here. The proper question is why are costs so high here? Taxes too high? Labor costs too high? You be the judge.

Due to my work, I lived in China for over a year, and one thing that amazed me was just how capitalist the Chinese business owners were. On the one hand, it was reassuring to see that decades of Communist government had not dampened the innate entrepreneurial spirit of mankind. On the other hand, I observed a shocking disregard for quality and safety in the manufacturing sector, coupled with weak government oversight.

These recalls are long overdue.
PROUD AMERICAN VET

Cropseyville, NY

#4 Sep 27, 2007
WHEN ARE WE GOING TO STOP BRINGING THIS CHINESE MADE CRAP INTO THIS COUNTRY. THEY ARE OUT TO KILL US ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. THEY TRIED PILLS PET FOOD LEAD PAINT COSMETICS NOW MORE KIDS TOYS, WAKE UP AMERICA STOP BUYING THIS CRAP FROM THE DOLLAR STORE AND WAL MART AND ANY OTHER PLACE THAT SELLS MADE IN CHINA. BY THE WAY HAVE YOU SEEN THE REPORTS ON THE CAR, A 10 MPH HEAD ON COLISSION AND ALL THAT WAS LEFT WAS THE TRUNK.
frogprinsce

Dumont, NJ

#5 Sep 27, 2007
i dont understand why we havent just boycotted anything coming from china. first they kill cats and dogs with tainted food and now kids with lead paint.
Mary

Astoria, NY

#6 Sep 27, 2007
One has to think that there is that any toy make in China has too high a lead content and is dangerous for American children. Go back to the "you get what you pay for" and cheap goods are cheaply made and now probably toxic.
Mac

Middle Village, NY

#8 Sep 27, 2007
jdw wrote:
<quoted text>
"We" never outsourced anything.
You really believe this statement don't you? What term do you use to describe the decades-long systematic, corporatist elimination of American union labor, while American companies increase the number of jobs -- formerly done in The United States -- in third-world countries?

It's called "outsourcing", bud. And, the rabid corporate avarice and greed that spawned it has directly led to the hideous problems now confronting us when U.S. companies sell us their horrendously poorly-made foreign sh!t.
Shoot First

New York, NY

#9 Sep 27, 2007
Maybe if greedy corporate scumbags would stop worrying about how much cash they can line their pockets with & actually gave a rats ass about quality, they'd stop outsourcing their manufacturing to places like China!

Let's bring up the CEO's of all these companies on attempted murder charges - bet they stop the outsourcing REAL quick!
jdw

Silver Spring, MD

#10 Sep 27, 2007
Mac wrote:
<quoted text>You really believe this statement don't you? What term do you use to describe the decades-long systematic, corporatist elimination of American union labor, while American companies increase the number of jobs -- formerly done in The United States -- in third-world countries?
It's called "outsourcing", bud. And, the rabid corporate avarice and greed that spawned it has directly led to the hideous problems now confronting us when U.S. companies sell us their horrendously poorly-made foreign sh!t.
Mac, you failed to see the point. The reason I put quotes around the word "we" is because we, as a country, are not outsourcing. Individual private businesses are outsourcing, but that is not "we." For some reason, you mistook my comment as denying the fact that outsourcing happens. Try to read carefully.

Furthermore, Mac, if you were the owner of a huge manufacturing company, you also would have your production done overseas. It is all based upon the very simple and reliable premise that in order to increase profits, a business needs to keep its costs as low as possible (this is Econ 101). A business would be, financially speaking, downright foolish to pay the huge expenses of producing in the US when much cheaper alternatives exist overseas. What is the result? Lower prices for you, the consumer (again, this is Econ 101).
Mac

Rego Park, NY

#11 Sep 27, 2007
jdw wrote:
<quoted text>
Mac, you failed to see the point. The reason I put quotes around the word "we" is because we, as a country, are not outsourcing. Individual private businesses are outsourcing, but that is not "we." For some reason, you mistook my comment as denying the fact that outsourcing happens. Try to read carefully.
Furthermore, Mac, if you were the owner of a huge manufacturing company, you also would have your production done overseas. It is all based upon the very simple and reliable premise that in order to increase profits, a business needs to keep its costs as low as possible (this is Econ 101). A business would be, financially speaking, downright foolish to pay the huge expenses of producing in the US when much cheaper alternatives exist overseas. What is the result? Lower prices for you, the consumer (again, this is Econ 101).
The term "we" can be used, because "we" can stand for corporate America. You're splitting hairs. Outsourcing is so widespread now, that the word "we" can be used, I think, quite correctly when discussing the issue.

The rest of your post indicates that you're somewhat arrogant and condescending, and you clearly adhere to the laissez-faire school of pro-corporate economic globalism. Therefore, I have no response to your opinions.

However, don't be so sure about what I'd do if I owned a company. You don't seem to realize that there are people out there with consciences, and who are much less greedy than the average corporate schmo is. I don't need to be a CEO who makes more than 80 times what my average worker makes. Cheap overseas labor only benefits the bloated plutocrats, sir.
jdw

Silver Spring, MD

#12 Sep 27, 2007
Mac wrote:
<quoted text>The term "we" can be used, because "we" can stand for corporate America. You're splitting hairs. Outsourcing is so widespread now, that the word "we" can be used, I think, quite correctly when discussing the issue.
The rest of your post indicates that you're somewhat arrogant and condescending, and you clearly adhere to the laissez-faire school of pro-corporate economic globalism. Therefore, I have no response to your opinions.
However, don't be so sure about what I'd do if I owned a company. You don't seem to realize that there are people out there with consciences, and who are much less greedy than the average corporate schmo is. I don't need to be a CEO who makes more than 80 times what my average worker makes. Cheap overseas labor only benefits the bloated plutocrats, sir.
C'mon man, any business that wants to remain in business has to keep its costs as low as possible. That is beyond dispute. In order to beat the competition, the market place has forced many firms, particularly in the manufacturing sector, to "outsource." If they did not go overseas, these companies would collapse. In order to understand, you need to try to think like a businessman for a moment. I still contend that you would do no different if it was your business.

As for your claim that I sounded "somewhat arrogant and condescending," it must've been by accident. At least it was only somewhat, at worst.
jdw

Silver Spring, MD

#13 Sep 27, 2007
Mac wrote:
The Chinks do it yet again. Globalism marches on.
The "Chinks?" Interesting choice of words.
Mac

Little Ferry, NJ

#14 Sep 27, 2007
jdw wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon man, any business that wants to remain in business has to keep its costs as low as possible. That is beyond dispute. In order to beat the competition, the market place has forced many firms, particularly in the manufacturing sector, to "outsource." If they did not go overseas, these companies would collapse. In order to understand, you need to try to think like a businessman for a moment. I still contend that you would do no different if it was your business.
As for your claim that I sounded "somewhat arrogant and condescending," it must've been by accident. At least it was only somewhat, at worst.
Nope. Contend away, but I know what I would do if I were in business, and it doesn't involve screwing American labor. There are still companies in this country which employ our citizens. Saturn automobiles are made in Tennessee. I have a Sears Kenmore dishwasher, which was made in Ohio. I wear Hickey Freeman suits, which are made in Rochester, NY.

When companies outsource labor to third-world hellholes, what they're doing has nothing at all to do with remaining "competetive". What they're doing is lining the pockets of the stockholders, and the board of directors. Outsourcing doesn't keep consumer costs low. That's one of the great myths of modern American life. No, outsourcing only makes rich people richer, while American workers are turned into third-world peons themselves.

Don't you dig it? We're all getting the big pink corporate shaft.
Mac

Little Ferry, NJ

#15 Sep 27, 2007
jdw wrote:
<quoted text>
The "Chinks?" Interesting choice of words.
Gooks? Zips? The Yellow Peril? Which one do you prefer?

They killed my friend's dog with their melamine-tainted food.
jdw

Silver Spring, MD

#16 Sep 27, 2007
Mac wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. Contend away, but I know what I would do if I were in business, and it doesn't involve screwing American labor. There are still companies in this country which employ our citizens. Saturn automobiles are made in Tennessee. I have a Sears Kenmore dishwasher, which was made in Ohio. I wear Hickey Freeman suits, which are made in Rochester, NY.
When companies outsource labor to third-world hellholes, what they're doing has nothing at all to do with remaining "competetive". What they're doing is lining the pockets of the stockholders, and the board of directors. Outsourcing doesn't keep consumer costs low. That's one of the great myths of modern American life. No, outsourcing only makes rich people richer, while American workers are turned into third-world peons themselves.
Don't you dig it? We're all getting the big pink corporate shaft.
Mac, you'll never be able to understand business unless you try to, for just a moment, think like a businessman. Be honest, do you have any idea what it is like to run or own a business? Tell the truth. The reality is that in any business, you must keep costs as low as possible or you will be eliminated. I'm sorry, but this is Econ 101.

When you say "third-world hellholes," it makes me wonder if you've ever seen the places you're talking about. Or, are you calling them hellholes without having any idea what those places are like?

What is wrong with trying to get profits for shareholders?!? Who do you think shareholders are? They are everyday people, from janitors to CEOs. People invest their money to make profits.

When you use terms like "Chink" and the others you mentioned, it reveals everything a casual observer would need to know in order to determine the mindset behind such comments.
Mattell

United States

#17 Sep 27, 2007
Lets manufacture something in the US and send it over to thechinks, make sure it is lined with Cyanide because these guys are killing us.
roundeye Charlie

United States

#18 Sep 27, 2007
We make good product to sell yankee in US. We are ruckey to have good friends that rely on us to make toy.
Mac

United States

#19 Sep 27, 2007
jdw wrote:
<quoted text>
Mac, you'll never be able to understand business unless you try to, for just a moment, think like a businessman. Be honest, do you have any idea what it is like to run or own a business? Tell the truth. The reality is that in any business, you must keep costs as low as possible or you will be eliminated. I'm sorry, but this is Econ 101.
When you say "third-world hellholes," it makes me wonder if you've ever seen the places you're talking about. Or, are you calling them hellholes without having any idea what those places are like?
What is wrong with trying to get profits for shareholders?!? Who do you think shareholders are? They are everyday people, from janitors to CEOs. People invest their money to make profits.
When you use terms like "Chink" and the others you mentioned, it reveals everything a casual observer would need to know in order to determine the mindset behind such comments.
See, this is what I was referring to when I said you were being arrogant. How do you know what I've seen, or what I do for a living? Besides, you do not need to run or own a business in order to comment on things which are just plain wrong. I assume you've never pitched in the major leagues, yet I bet you know a sh!tty pitch when you see one.

I don't believe some of the things you say. "Everyday people", eh? That was a Sly & The Family Stone song, but it doesn't describe the vast majority of stockholders in this country. Your saying so is almost shamelessly manipulative. All of the wealth of this country is owned by less than two percent of its citizens. You make it sound as if we're all one happy family, and we're all getting rich investing in American stocks while they send all their jobs overseas. And, to top it off, you seem to deny that the places where all of our goods are being manufactured are "hellholes". What would you call them? The wages are cheaper in these places, because the people live in poverty. These countries are overpopulated, dirty little back-alleys as far as countries go. Please don't try to say otherwise. It's a lie to do so.

As far as my calling people "Chinks", you'll have to pardon me. I tend to say what I want, regardless of the de facto illegality of saying them. I'm not politically correct. Political correctness is part of corporate globalism. We're not allowed to insult the very people who are ruining our lives, and our standard of living. I don't like foreign workers. I consider them to be scabs. I'm a pro-union, pro-labor populist, not a feel-good, bloated capitalist with an SUV, a McMansion, and expensive toys I don't need.

You, on the other hand, seem to be everything I'm against. It's your right, iunfortunately. As long as the wealthy run this planet, people like you will always be lecturing the rest of us about how these cute, sweet little foreign people just "want a better life", et cetera, which is why we have open the borders to let them in, and send the jobs that are left over to Vietnam. It's all such disingenuous bullsh!t and lies.
Mac

New York, NY

#20 Sep 27, 2007
roundeye Charlie wrote:
We make good product to sell yankee in US. We are ruckey to have good friends that rely on us to make toy.
You made a mistake. It's pronounced "ploduct", and "fliends".
Mac

New York, NY

#21 Sep 27, 2007
Mattell wrote:
Lets manufacture something in the US and send it over to thechinks, make sure it is lined with Cyanide because these guys are killing us.
I like your user name.

However, we can't make goods, line them with cyanide, and send them to China for three reasons: 1) We don't make anything in this country anymore, 2) The Chinese wouldn't import our stuff if we did make anything, and 3) The Chinese would sue us for patent infringement if we did line our goods with cyanide, since they came up with that idea first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

RC2 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chinese-made toys, kids' jewelry recalled (Sep '07) Aug '10 Mark 8
Company to pay $1.25 million for selling toys c... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Heather 1
RC2 prices public offering at $15 per share (Aug '09) Aug '09 Pat Hansen 2
No More Tears, Far More Fears? (Mar '09) Mar '09 The4BigGirls 1
600,000 toys join recall list (Sep '07) Nov '08 Crystal 25
RC2 says slow orders lower profit (Nov '08) Nov '08 RC2 Retailers 1
600,000 toys join recall list -- Consumer Goods... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Olivia 1
More from around the web