600,000 toys join recall list

There are 20 comments on the Sep 26, 2007, Chicago Tribune story titled 600,000 toys join recall list. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

In a year already notable for a record number of lead-based recalls, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced seven separate recalls Wednesday of Chinese-manufactured toys and children's jewelry for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rachel

Korea

#1 Sep 27, 2007
wow. amazing. i think china is thinking the kids know better.
Steve

Chicago, IL

#2 Sep 27, 2007
I think it is high time for another heartfelt apology to China.
Dear China,
I am so sorry that your manufacturing standards are so low that you would build toys that are harmful to our children. How can you ever find it in your hearts to forgive us for trusting you to follow through on your responsibilities? As a token of oru sincere regret, would you accept these toys that you made so that your children can play with them and find hours of enjoyment? At least until they start dying, that is, then you can apologize to US.
boycott

Chicago, IL

#3 Sep 27, 2007
Okay, I have been reading these stories about China endangering our lives, our children's lifes, our infant's lives, our pet's lives for months now.

However, every time I walk into the super target to buy my groceries I see people in the dollar/toy/misc merchandise sections loading up on all the crap made in China.

Much of this stuff we could and should live without. It is about time that we boycott Chinese-made goods. 90 percent of the stuff is just stuff we do not need.
Thomas Westgard

Markham, IL

#4 Sep 27, 2007
Yep, this Christmas I'm buying either intangible or American. Kids love books of movie passes, for example. No lead in those. Magazine subscriptions.
WFA

United States

#5 Sep 27, 2007
This is a shocking # of recalls. When is it going to end? I fear that this is just teh tip of the iceberg as we get into the holiday season there’s going to be alot more.

I get auotmatic email alerts when there’s a new recall from www.leadtoyrecalls.com
t_gaines

Cedar Rapids, IA

#6 Sep 27, 2007
if you took time to think about what your doing and your target audience then maybe for one second you would think about others instead of currency. it makes no sense that you have to recall anything especially something specified to children because you were ignorant. i would call it a mistake but mistakes are made just once. these are products for children and as companies you know better then what your doing. if you took the proper steps in the 1st place you wouldn't be in this position. does it cost more to ship out defected problems and take care of them later or take care of it initially and not have to recall. as a bussiness you would think that you think. maybe there devils advocates and they know that there's lead in the paint but it's not a problem until someone labels it as a problem. do these companies make more money off recall toys i think so and at the cost of our childrens health. money is truly the root to all evil because these companies know what they're doing b4 they do it and still do it. for the big wigs of your companies i speak on behalf of all parents when i say poison your own kids if that's your intentions but don't poison everyone elses to make a quick buck. i have twin boys that are 3 and they love thomas the train but because of these bussinesses they will never in there life have another thomas the train anything. i'm taking there thomas the train bed sheets off as we speak. GOD BLESS ALL CHILDREN AND THERE PARENTS AND KARMA IS REAL SO BIG WIG COMPANIES WHEN ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE IS WRONG OR BAD REMEMBER WERE IT CAME FROM
pay us back

Norman, OK

#7 Sep 27, 2007
Ithink if you have a toy that is recalled then you should get your money back...no matter how many toys you have...just bring them into the store for a full refund...China needs to pay for all of this

mother of three
NickKo

Chicago, IL

#8 Sep 27, 2007
CLOSE DOWN WAL-MART !!! This will put a HUGE dent into CHINESE imports and help put an end to this bull.
Deborah

Schiller Park, IL

#9 Sep 27, 2007
Unfortunately, economically, there is no way to do a total China boycott without causing our economy harm.
Have any of you tried to buy non-Chinese made toys and goods. I bet 90 percent of the toys I looked at for my two year old granddaughter's birthday present were made in China. I am boycotting China because one of my dogs died and I think it was from tainted food. I am paying through the nose for American made dog food and American made toys.
We need to bring back much of the manufacturing to America so our people have jobs, our kids and pets and humans are safe! I know it is and economic decision--why pay American workers minimum wage plus benes when you can pay a Chinese worker a few dollars a day? BUT our kids, our pets, and who knows what else are dying due to these decisions. I'd rather pay a few dollars more for safety!
I will continue my boycott -- no more China made goods for this family.
Eric

Rochester, NY

#10 Sep 27, 2007
I also have concerns about the food that we are giving our children. Due to these recalls, I have started to spend more time looking at food labels of the items I am feeding my children. I was suprised to find that the apple juice from the market I shop at (Tops), is from China as well. I have concerns as to where and how China is disposing these toxic items and if they have or will make their way into the food source.
Sandy

Conway, SC

#11 Sep 27, 2007
I worked for Fisher Price Toys before Mattel took us over and put us out on the street. All I can say is "Cheaper is not always better, you get what you paid for".

Maybe we should give the toy business back to the Americans!!!!!!

Since: Sep 07

Arlington Heights, IL

#12 Sep 27, 2007
boycott wrote:
It is about time that we boycott Chinese-made goods. 90 percent of the stuff is just stuff we do not need.
I agree. I think with all the recalls that are a result of products imported from China, that would be the logical answer....for the safety of our children, pets, etc.

Yes, it is more expensive to buy American but this most likely is because of all the rules/laws/standards that American companies have to abide by to KEEP these types of recalls from happening.
Sandy wrote:
All I can say is "Cheaper is not always better, you get what you paid for".

Maybe we should give the toy business back to the Americans!!!!!!
I totally agree!
JAA

United States

#13 Sep 27, 2007
NickKo wrote:
CLOSE DOWN WAL-MART !!! This will put a HUGE dent into CHINESE imports and help put an end to this bull.
That is like saying that walmart sells 90% of the items sold in america. You look at any store- from a dollar store to target even to nordstrom. They all sell chinese.

I would say- ban chinese imports or at least limit the number of dollars that can be imported and tax it heavily. Bring back american mfg jobs and lighten up the restrictions in having to deal with unions.
Linda in Lamar-SC

Summerville, SC

#14 Sep 27, 2007
We keep sending orders to China and keep buying. It is partly our fault because we keep buying. If we quit buying foreign made products and only bought American made maybe they would get the message before we die. American jobs might come back too.
Mrs Peterson

Oak Park, IL

#15 Sep 27, 2007
This is ridiculous. The R2C Thomas the Tank pieces are from the SAME set as the ones already recalled.

Why didn't R2C test the WHOLE set before doing a partial recall?

Now they're recalling the green-painted items from the set, but they're not recalling another piece (the conductor shed) which has the same green paint on the roof! Why not?

This isn't all China's fault, people. This is some old fashioned American corporate greed and CYA-ing.

And what the heck is wrong with the CPSC, that they're doing these recalls in bits and pieces.

I had an unopened Thomas the Tank set that Amazon wouldn't take back (it was a gift)-- they told me to contact the manufacturer (R2C) which I did, and now I have to contact them again FOR THE SAME SET. I won't be surprised if next they recall the straight pieces of track, then wait a few months and recall the curved pieces.

One of those Chinese factory owners hung himself in shame. Funny that our culture holds no such personal responsiblity for our failures.
Mrs Peterson

Oak Park, IL

#16 Sep 27, 2007
And also, you think it's so easy to ban all Chinese imports? All they have to do is call in the trillions of dollars we owe them, and our economy collapses.

Think our banks are in trouble now with the subprime crisis? You haven't seen anything yet.

And I'm mad about the lead paint today, but in the big picture, we're all going to be nostalgic for the days when all we worried about was toys poisoning our children.
Arthur Nicholas

United States

#17 Sep 27, 2007
Send the toys to Congress. Those children deserve to play with these toys rather than our Social Security System.
LaVerne Clark

United States

#18 Oct 5, 2007
It is a sad day when the Dollar is far more important than our country, our children, and the jobs that have gone to other countries. Bring back the good old days when we weren't afraid to buy toys without the fear of lead poisioning, or filth that has been found in them. I too am now reading labels. If it comes from anywhere but the US I will do without. That also includes the food products. It is more than time we as AMERICANS STICK UP FOR OURSELVES AND DO AWAY WITH THE big companys trying to get rich at the expense of the health of our families.
Rich

Farmingdale, NJ

#20 Oct 31, 2007
Why don't we arm each american parent with there own testing kit swabs. This will get everyone from China to the distributors of a better quality control procedures.
NO MORE CHINA

Canonsburg, PA

#21 Nov 1, 2007
Has anyone stop to think about the other items in our homes...we are only looking at the toys...our children and animals are in contact with everything in our homes that are made in china with all this lead paint, Theres not going to be a christmas in my home this year from walmart, dollar stores or KB toys, We are going to have an "OLD" Fashion Christmas and everything will be bought from Local Hard working Americans making safe wooden toys..Just like it used to be 100 years ago, GOD BLESS THE CRAFTSMAN there my me source of shopping from now on....NO MORE CHINA.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

RC2 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chinese-made toys, kids' jewelry recalled (Sep '07) Aug '10 Mark 8
News Company to pay $1.25 million for selling toys c... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Heather 1
News RC2 prices public offering at $15 per share (Aug '09) Aug '09 Pat Hansen 2
News No More Tears, Far More Fears? (Mar '09) Mar '09 The4BigGirls 1
News RC2 says slow orders lower profit (Nov '08) Nov '08 RC2 Retailers 1
News 600,000 toys join recall list -- Consumer Goods... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Olivia 1
News Boca Raton couple sues toy manufacturer over le... (Mar '08) Mar '08 China is killing US 4
More from around the web