Boca couple sues toy manufacturer over lead-based paint

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

A Boca Raton couple has sued a toy maker alleging that lead-based paint on the Thomas and Friends Wooden Railway toys caused their now 5-year-old son to suffer a developmental disorder.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Mar 12, 2008
Suzy Q

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

would the kid have had developmental problems if he didnt put the toy in his mouth? does anyone remember years ago.. when teething on the crib rail wasnt considered harmful?? Lead paint in the cribs. How DID we survive. We ate dirt.. we got our bottoms swatted.. and we survived. not a lot of developmental problems. not in my family anyway.:) DUH!!!..
Cheese

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

I think they found someone to blame for the kid mental problems . Nothing to do with genes, of course.
YOUR SYSTEM SUCKS

Daytona Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Another greedy couple from Boca, doing just what you would expect. I hope I'm on the jury. I'll send them packing with nothing but an attorney bill. Scumbags, no wonder the rest of the world hates Americans? The whole world grew up with lead based paint until the 70's with out any problems. Now what gives? an easy way for a greedy lawyer to claim a buck. I can't wait to march this kid off to war.
actech

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Cheese wrote:
I think they found someone to blame for the kid mental problems . Nothing to do with genes, of course.
or how about just bad parenting from two lazy twits who are looking for the gravy train
Kris

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

"Learning Curve and RC2 should have known that adequate safeguards and oversight would not be present when the company opted to have its toys manufactured in China, the McGuires' allege."

I would argue that the McGuires should have known that adequate safeguards and oversight would not be present when they chose to purchase a cheap toy manufactured in China. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! You are STILL feeding your kids CANDY made in CHINA!!! My kids bring it home from birthday parties ALL THE TIME --- then it goes right in the garbage!!!
Ken from Delray

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Hey, this is a company that recalled some trains from a set and then 4 months later discovered that others in the same sets were also dangerous? I guess after finding lead in some it takes 4 months to test the other stuff?
These trains are far from inexpensive. This company didn't give a damn about kid's safety...they just wanted to save a few cents on each piece.
Florida

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

This is getting ridiculous with people filing frivilous lawsuits. The fact of lead based paints or lead in toys from China was recently discovered and toys have been recalled. This couple should be filing lawsuits against the manufacturers in China not RC2 corp. People filing lawsuits against companies in the U.S., is bringing down our U.S. companies and not that of China. Go after China companies.
Cheese

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Ken from Delray wrote:
Hey, this is a company that recalled some trains from a set and then 4 months later discovered that others in the same sets were also dangerous? I guess after finding lead in some it takes 4 months to test the other stuff?
These trains are far from inexpensive. This company didn't give a damn about kid's safety...they just wanted to save a few cents on each piece.
Tell me something new. All major corporations are trying to save a few cents. It's your obligation to take care of your kids. I don't eat
0.99 burguers <do the math and see if it is possible>but I see the "mothers" every afternoon feeding
their kids on the macthing. Make me sick, a staying home mother not having time to preper a proper meal.
Closing the legs during the day would help.
Florida

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

How about everyone filing lawsuits against the prescription drug companies as well. After all there are reports that our drinking water is invfested with chemicals and prescrition drug residue that will bring harm to many over a period of years, just like the lead found in toys and other objects from China and other cheap labor countries.
CHEMICALHAPPINES S

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

These parents want to sue because their child is an idiot..that is crazy..i am going to call my parents and tell them to sue someone b/c i am a dumba.s.s ...lead in the toys i played with as a child...now i have an excuse
Krys

Fort Pierce, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

I am a mom of 4 kids with developmental disorders and I would not look for someone else to blame for it! this is ridiculous! I focus on getting them the help they need - not pointing a finger. The sad part is that this places other parents in a bad light as if all we care about is money and finding blame instead of looking for how to help them. What is this going to do for him? The toys have been recalled already - give it up!!!
Sneezy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Boca? Of course. If it was bought at Town Center, sue them too why dontchya.
bObBy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

maybe he wouldn't have been sucking on his toy train set if he weren't already somewhat retarded. Come on, the kid was old enough to not be sucking on toys.. what's up with that?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent RC2 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chinese-made toys, kids' jewelry recalled (Sep '07) Aug '10 Mark 8
Company to pay $1.25 million for selling toys c... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Heather 1
RC2 prices public offering at $15 per share (Aug '09) Aug '09 Pat Hansen 2
No More Tears, Far More Fears? (Mar '09) Mar '09 The4BigGirls 1
600,000 toys join recall list (Sep '07) Nov '08 Crystal 25
RC2 says slow orders lower profit (Nov '08) Nov '08 RC2 Retailers 1
600,000 toys join recall list -- Consumer Goods... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Olivia 1

Search the RC2 Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000