Supreme Court Hears Case Against Protests at Military Funerals

Oct 6, 2010 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.capitolnewsconnection.org

Nearly five years in the making, the law suit of Albert Snyder of Finksburg, Md., against a radical religious sect that picketed his Marine son's funeral gets a Supreme Court hearing today.

Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Oct 8, 2010

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Let the wackos protest, it's shows just how crazy religion can make you.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

People may have the constitutional right to protest but it sure is in extremely poor taste to protest a marine's or other service member's funeral who died in the line of duty. The citizens may not agree with our foreign policy but the family of the fallen marine,etc has lost a loved one. It is very sobering to visit Arlington, especially if one knows fellow brothers in arms buried there. It is totally disrespectful at best for people to show up protesting at such a time.
Speeders Kill Kids

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Patriot wrote:
People may have the constitutional right to protest but it sure is in extremely poor taste to protest a marine's or other service member's funeral who died in the line of duty..
Everyone agrees it's tasteless but we have to allow this. To me it's a 2 + 2 is 4.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Speeders Kill Kids wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone agrees it's tasteless but we have to allow this. To me it's a 2 + 2 is 4.
If people want to protest wars or foreign policy there is a time and place for that, but when a service member is being laid to rest...that is NOT the place nor the time for ones to grind their axes. The service members are not the ones resposible for any military actions. Usually the case is the "rich man" has the war but the everyday Joe Citizen has to fight it.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

WeTheSheeple wrote:
Let the wackos protest, it's shows just how crazy religion can make you.
It is not a question of religion...yep those people were so called christians,but they would be nit wits even if they were not affiliated with any church.If they had ever been in harms way or a loved one has, they would have a completely different perspective.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>If people want to protest wars or foreign policy there is a time and place for that, but when a service member is being laid to rest...that is NOT the place nor the time for ones to grind their axes. The service members are not the ones resposible for any military actions. Usually the case is the "rich man" has the war but the everyday Joe Citizen has to fight it.
This isn't protesting foreign policy, it's about America & the military's policy of tolerating gays (according to Phelps).

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>It is not a question of religion...yep those people were so called christians,but they would be nit wits even if they were not affiliated with any church.If they had ever been in harms way or a loved one has, they would have a completely different perspective.
Wrong, this is ENTIRELY about religion. These nutjobs are using religion as their excuse for hating homosexuality. YOU may not consider them christians, but that's not for you to determine. That's another problem with religion, it allows any crazy people to justify anything in the name of religion- all fully protected by the 1st amendment.
Speeders Kill Kids

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>If people want to protest wars or foreign policy there is a time and place for that, but when a service member is being laid to rest...that is NOT the place nor the time for ones to grind their axes..
You're doing just what i said. You only want free speech when it "makes sense" to allow it.
Tori Franklin

Augusta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

They are NOT a CHURCH! Their actions are despicable. We should ship them over to Afghanistan and see how long the insurgents keep them around. It's a tragedy that these funeral protestors can sleep at night in safety because of our troops that keep our country safe.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2010

Tori Franklin wrote:
They are NOT a CHURCH! Their actions are despicable. We should ship them over to Afghanistan and see how long the insurgents keep them around. It's a tragedy that these funeral protestors can sleep at night in safety because of our troops that keep our country safe.
They don't have to be a church to qualify for free speech. If you restrict their right to protest, then what's to stop someone from restricting YOUR right to protest THEM?
Speeders Kill Kids

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2010

Judged:

Tori Franklin wrote:
It's a tragedy that these funeral protestors can sleep at night in safety because of our troops that keep our country safe.
Now that's funny. Our troops don't keep america safe. They just make money for the bankers and arms-makers. All wars are about profiteering.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2010

<quoted text>
You're doing just what i said. You only want free speech when it "makes sense" to allow it.
nope, I said there is a more appropriate place to protest rather than at the funeral of a service member. if one want to protest the war or foreign policy, the Capital building,city hall,etc is the place to do that.It is obvoious you never served and seen your friends get dismembered or killed.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2010

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>nope, I said there is a more appropriate place to protest rather than at the funeral of a service member. if one want to protest the war or foreign policy, the Capital building,city hall,etc is the place to do that.It is obvoious you never served and seen your friends get dismembered or killed.
A better place to protest would be in front of the Westboro Baptist Church, in Topeka Kansas; with BULLHORNS, during their "services" and other activities.

Patriot

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2010

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
A better place to protest would be in front of the Westboro Baptist Church, in Topeka Kansas; with BULLHORNS, during their "services" and other activities.
yep, those people had no business(but the right)to protest at the funeral. kooks and zealots get into church too and do use "religion" as a justification for many things, but not all christians are zealots gone wild, the 'zealot's actions can and do paint the sensible christians with the same brush.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2010

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't protesting foreign policy, it's about America & the military's policy of tolerating gays (according to Phelps).
the thing I never understood is that gays know they are not really welcome in the military but knowing that they run to join and when they feel unwelcome they cry foul.bottom line is that no law can legislate morality. The 10 commandments sure did not stop the no-no's listed therein.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2010

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>the thing I never understood is that gays know they are not really welcome in the military but knowing that they run to join and when they feel unwelcome they cry foul.bottom line is that no law can legislate morality. The 10 commandments sure did not stop the no-no's listed therein.
Then there are 2 things you obviously don't understand-

1. Patriotism- it's not just straight people who want to serve their country.
2. Equal rights- if heteros can flaunt their sexuality, then so can the gays.
Speeders Kill Kids

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2010

Patriot wrote:
<.bottom line is that no law can legislate morality..
Now that's a silly thing to say. You think laws against murder and rape should be taken off the books because they are attempts to legislate morality??
Patriot

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

<quoted text>
Now that's a silly thing to say. You think laws against murder and rape should be taken off the books because they are attempts to legislate morality??
as usual you missed the point. You seem to uphold gays..are you one?
Patriot

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then there are 2 things you obviously don't understand-
1. Patriotism- it's not just straight people who want to serve their country.
2. Equal rights- if heteros can flaunt their sexuality, then so can the gays.
sounds like you are bitter toward heterosexuals...for just one day I would like to see you in a combat zone, if you did survive hopefully the limpness would be gone from your wrists.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2010

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>sounds like you are bitter toward heterosexuals...for just one day I would like to see you in a combat zone, if you did survive hopefully the limpness would be gone from your wrists.
Sorry to burst your effort to stereotype, but after 20 years in the military I've already served my share of time in combat zones, including Iraq. I'm in no way bitter toward heterosexuals, I'm simply tired of them getting special rights just for being straight.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Raytheon Discussions

Search the Raytheon Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Boeing, Lockheed Martin teams submit proposals ... (Jan '11) Apr '11 From the Island 25
Mechdyne, Raytheon and Rockwell Collins Demonst... (Dec '10) Dec '10 any lead poisoning there 1
Military contracts add up for Raytheon (Dec '10) Dec '10 any lead poisoning there 1
Study: Defense Industry Booms In Mass. (Dec '10) Dec '10 any lead poisoning there 1
Report: Raytheon received $4.58B in federal con... (Dec '10) Dec '10 any lead poisoning there 1
Tomgram: Fatima Bhutto, The War Against Pakistan (Dec '10) Dec '10 any lead poisoning there 1
USA: 2001 Pursuit 3400 Express Fisherman (Dec '10) Dec '10 any lead poisoning there 1
•••
•••