Qwest cuts retiree benefits

Qwest cuts retiree benefits

There are 21 comments on the Denver Post story from Oct 25, 2006, titled Qwest cuts retiree benefits. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Despite posting two straight quarterly profits and initiating a stock buyback of up to $2 billion, Qwest plans to cut health-care and life-insurance benefits for thousands of retirees.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nancy

AOL

#1 Oct 29, 2006
Keep this in mind; when a company treats its retired employee the way Qwest is doing now, what place do you think the customers hold with Qwest?

Yep your right, bottom rung of the ladder!!

Nancy
Jeff

Layton, UT

#2 Mar 23, 2007
23 March 07
My wife's mother, a Qwest retiree, died in February. My wife was told today, by a Qwest service center representative, that her mother's life insurance benefit was cut from $20,000.00 to $10,000.00. No explanation. When my wife asked why this benefit was cut in half, she was told that to get an explanation, she'd need a power of attorney. This was general information I found out in 5 minutes on the internet. Is this company trying to hide something? It is balancing its books on the backs of its deceased employees? Shame on you, Qwest!
If anyone knows about a lawsuit or an appeal to Qwest's decision to drastically reduce retiree life insurance benefits, my wife & I would like to hear about it.
Jeff, Utah
[email protected]
Kitty Kennedy

Tucson, AZ

#3 Jul 14, 2008
Jeff - yes, there is a lawsuit pending in Denver Federal Court to challenge the arbitrary reduction Qwest made to life insurance for all retirees to $10,000. During our working years we were promised one year's salary or a minimum amount (depending on retirement date). Go to our website to track the Kerber v. Qwest Life Insurance Plan lawsuit. www.uswestretiree.org .
Feel free to contact me Kitty Kennedy, President Telephone Retirees Assn of Arizona at: [email protected]
Jim K

Sandy Ridge, NC

#4 Feb 1, 2009
First they reduces my life insurance from 49,000 a year. Then the health care premium now costs a 150.00 a month. This was not that large of a retirement package in the first place and it is getting much smaller. Prices are going up and I feel that the employee's are getting a raw deal. No raise in pention after 8 years. They stoled most of our 401k's by allowing Nachio and the rest vote millions in stock options and telling the employees everything was fine. Their eyes are now on the pension fund and it is my opinion that Qwest never had the money to purchace U.W. West in the first place. I hope they begin to see the error in their decisions. Seeing a once strong company that cared about their people handed over to a bunch of thugs is a sad thing.Its not only this company but you see it all over the U.S. it is the due to terrible greed and they should be ashamed of themselves.
Jim K

Sandy Ridge, NC

#5 Feb 1, 2009
Correction for above from 49,000 to 10,000
R an

Rossville, GA

#6 Mar 6, 2009
I Retired from Qwest in 2001. I made the decision not to pay the 150 a month health fee charge.They can go pound sand. I do have excellent health care from the Department of Vet. affairs. ,for past military service. Good Luck all...
3rd generation employee

Cedar City, UT

#7 Jun 7, 2009
i retired in 1996...my pension is tiny, trust me. they've reduced my life insurance to $10k, and, because i am a cancer survivor, i can't get more life insurance.
now, i pay 1/4 of my monthly pension to pay for the medical benefits, which i DO need.
on top of that, they fubar'd my health benefit payments, denying me health insurance until i appealed... i have had to go without my necessary meds because without the benefits i can't afford them.
so glad i gave 24 years of my life to them.
Kirby G

Watertown, SD

#8 Jun 15, 2009
My mother retired in the early 82 from US West. She accepted a life policy of $20,000 just like Jeff noted above. This is the only job my mother had working for NWBell/USWEST.. for nearly 40 years. I was shocked to fine her life limits were changed to $10,000 without any such notice. Then I read stories like this:

DENVER -- Qwest Communications chief executive Richard Notebaert received a 2006 compensation package valued by the company at $22,705,903 including salary and other payments, according to a regulatory filing on Thursday.(21.6 Million from bonus payments).

I will spend the rest of my life hating Qwest. They take money from pensions and life to show profits just so the CEO can get bonus payments like this. VERY SAD...

The class action status hearing will go on for years. In the end we will see little or nothing of money.

Kirby
South Dakota
Dan - Michigan

Battle Creek, MI

#9 Oct 28, 2009
I too am very disappointed about how retirees are being treated by Qwest. I retired on a disability, purchased additional life insurance. Now I understand the portion they were to cover equal to 1 years salary is reduced to $10,000. The other day I was told by the benefit dept that when I turn 65, the additional life insurance I have been paying for will go out the window. I will have to pay more $ to get the coverage. When retirees leave the company we think that the beneift coverage in place at the time is a done deal. But as you can see, the company made on our backs, from our blood & sweat has decided to screw us. They should be ashamed to treat their former employees with such disrespect.
No Name

Denver, CO

#10 Dec 16, 2009
I previously worked for Qwest /(Dex Media)- we were brought out by R.H. Donnelley. I retireed early this year - I was paying about $41.00+ for Medical and Dental - When benefits start in 2010 the charge went to approx.$430.00 per month (this is after 30 years)- I think they have discontinued our Life insurance for 2010 = 2011 I was told that there will be no more benefits for retirees - THIS IS DIRT WRONG - DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT A CLASS ACTION LAWSUITE - REGARDING R.H. DONNELLEY??? Qwest - Donnelley - Idearc - different companies are really hurting their former employees.
Sandra Purdom

Seattle, WA

#11 Dec 18, 2009
I retired from U S West in 1999. I just received my coupons to pay a monthly fee for my health insurance. Last year I paid $9 per month, which was fine but the 2010 monthly fee has now gone up 300 percent to $27 per month. Shame on Qwest. The monthly pension doesn't change for cost of living - you'll receive the same amount until the day you die!
Cheryl Kingsford

Denver, CO

#12 Dec 30, 2009
How can they do this? Wasn't this money deducted from our paychecks?
So, not only was I forced to retire, benefits upon benefits have been gradually taken away and now this!!! Pretty soon I'll have to send them a monthly check because I worked there for 30 years. Just give me the money I paid in. If there is a class action law suit, count me in!!!!!!!!!!
Colleen _Longmont

Franktown, CO

#13 Dec 30, 2009
This is just another injustice that big corporations are getting away with. Where is the regulation of these companies. I am distraught that any company can take away benefits that have been earned by employees. I worked for the company for over 34 years and part of my overall income included the life insurance benefit. I think this company, and any company should be restricted in the ability to take away benefits that employees contributed to during their employment.
WILL in Oregon

Waterloo, Canada

#14 Jan 2, 2010
My mistake for thinking The Pension
Fund paid out for all things retiree.
So much for the $10K death benefit.
I suppose it's too late for the people
of the town to take up torches and
pitchforks and set out after the
scoundrel who plundered our coffers
and made off for the South of America.
How I dread those Qwest envelopes
that land in my mailbox!
Stan

Ashburn, VA

#15 Jan 11, 2010
Qwest is placing itself into a position of being for sale. Cutting pension benefits. Reducing insurance limits. Absorbing Malheur Bell while getting rid of 15 out of 17 jobs there. No raises for management nor end of year bonuses. Cutting craft hours to minimums. Qwest has placed its core business at risk by refusing to repair and update its infrastructure. Qwest may be sold but, not as a complete company. It will be sold in pieces with the company being a hollow shell with no assets and no way to payout promised benefits. I believe more is coming.
Shersher

Scottsdale, AZ

#16 Mar 22, 2010
Well Nancy, our company is one of those customers you talk about. We are currently in a lawsuit against Qwest and have been shocked at the indifference of the company. Briefly, we were sold HSI service and when our business relocated, there was NO SERVICE. They acknowledged that 'mistakes' were made but have no interest in making it right other than to sell us less speed at 25 times the cost.
For a business, client goodwill is silver but employee loyalty is gold. Reading these postings by loyal workers is so sad and only adds to our cynicism that this matter will settle.
But at least you have the freedom to complain. Check out jobvent.com for the circumstances of Current Employees.
Mary

United States

#17 Aug 17, 2010
I am shocked at the way Qwest has treated their retirees and beneficiaries. My father passed away last month and that was the first I heard about the cutting of the pension benefits and reducing the life insurance. My mother is the beneficiary and this has drasticlly cut her income. When I originally spoke to a Qwest rep they told me a benefits package would be coming. That was a month ago and still have not received anything. They also dropped my mothers health and dental and when I try to speak with someone I get the run around. Shame on them.
Gary

Phoenix, AZ

#18 Aug 23, 2010
The company is in a state where they have no regard for their past employees. I have not received my new insurance fro the company adminstering the health plan. They did send me a new insurance card, but tell me I have no insurance.
Karen

West Linn, OR

#19 Oct 10, 2010
I moved from Medford to the Portland area in May of this year. I received a letter in early June telling me the medical coverage I had in Medford wasn't available here and I had 20 days to change it. I called immediately and changed to a different plan. It is now October 10th and I have still not been changed to the new plan. My husband and I have been without any insurance for 3 months now. They call me once a week to tell me they are "investigating" my case. There is nothing to investigate, just give me the insurance that I earned for over 30 years of work with Qwest.
I have contacted an attorney and he seems to be licking his lips at taking on my case. He says no one has the right to keep me from coverage I have earned. I'm thinking of making this a class action suit if anyone else is interested.
Jennifer

Seattle, WA

#20 Oct 22, 2010
Does anyone have a copy of the most recent (2010) severance package?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Qwest Communications Intl Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UPDATE: Failure to communicate? Qwest service r... (Dec '10) Nov '14 Gregory362 80
News SkyWi president fears loss of trust (Jan '09) Jun '13 zintel 16
News 'Free' chat lines cost Qwest (May '07) Aug '11 a shawty 223
News Streets project frustrates area business owners (Jun '11) Jun '11 Honest Chopo 18
News Merged Qwest customer service likely to suffer,... (Apr '11) Apr '11 jeff 6
News CenturyLink completes $12.2 billion acquisition... (Apr '11) Apr '11 the other jim 1
News Qwest fading away into the future (Mar '11) Mar '11 Skippy 10
More from around the web