Retailers report weak results for December

Jan 10, 2008 Read more: Akron Beacon Journal 17
NEW YORK: An already weak holiday shopping season turned out to be even worse than expected for many of the nation's retailers, who reported Thursday they had sluggish sales results for December. Read more
Kates

Akron, OH

#1 Jan 10, 2008
Doesnt surprise me. Pacific Sunwear is flipping expensive. so are those maternity stores.
What Goes Around

Akron, OH

#2 Jan 10, 2008
No kidding. The same retailers that have been paying minimum wages with no benefits to a work force that is being squeezed out of middle class status into paycheck to paycheck nightmares now complain that people aren't spending enough of their dollars? The same corporations that move their headquarters off shore to avoid paying already reduced taxes, that export jobs to third world countries to avoid paying living wages, that market lead filled plastic crap now complain that Americans don't buy enough?
Remember when Bone Head Bush was first running for President and the debate was over what to do with the budget surplus? Remember when there was a budget surplus? This nation is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy because of the greedheads in Washington. The corporate kleptocrats have gorged at the public trough long enough. People should refuse to spend money to support companies that refuse to return anything to the communities they service. People should boycott WalMart until the company wakes up to the fact that the creation of a generation of economic slaves is not good for the slaves, not good for the country and not good business.

“HOOD TAX!”

Since: Dec 07

OHIO

#3 Jan 10, 2008
We're spending a $ BILLION DOLLARS $ A MONTH....in Iraq.....and over $ 3 dollars for a gallon of gas....No money for anything else!

OCEANA - A CIVILIZED ARMED CAMP
abc

Brunswick, OH

#4 Jan 10, 2008
Why boycott Walmart and not Target? Remember Walmart is an Arkansas based company that had both Hillary and Michelle Obama on their boards.
OMG

Akron, OH

#5 Jan 10, 2008
You can bet OMG only spent limited cash this Christmas. The recession is coming, the recession is coming, so don't spend your money now. You'll need it to pay Bush A$$es friends in Big Oil for Natural Gas & Gasoline to heat your home and drive your car to work if you don't get layed off.

Also, remember Ohio Unemployment Fund is down to $500 million from $2.5 billion only 4 years ago, and will not have enough funds to carry us through the recession without raising taxes.
OMG

Akron, OH

#6 Jan 10, 2008
GHOSTRIDER-OCEANA wrote:
We're spending a $ BILLION DOLLARS $ A MONTH....in Iraq.....and over $ 3 dollars for a gallon of gas....No money for anything else!
OCEANA - A CIVILIZED ARMED CAMP
Retreat and bring the troops home. We can't afford the war in Iraq & Afghanistan like Ron Paul keeps telling us.
A smart Ohioian

Stow, OH

#7 Jan 10, 2008
I went to buy more at the Holidays. Just about everything I picked up was Made in China. I was so disgusted; I put it back on the shelves. I wondered if people in China picked up items at many stores that read Made in U.S.A., and felt the same way. I bought restaurant gift cards, instead; everyone needs to eat. SprWalMart prices were not very good; I could get the same crap at any store closer to home; so I skipped out giving them my money and went to the Mall. How did the W store get such a reputation, when they suck, so bad?
Spirit of Reagan

Redwood City, CA

#8 Jan 10, 2008
Not Stupid wrote:
I went to buy more at the Holidays. Just about everything I picked up was Made in China. I was so disgusted; I put it back on the shelves. I wondered if people in China picked up items at many stores that read Made in U.S.A., and felt the same way. I bought restaurant gift cards, instead; everyone needs to eat. SprWalMart prices were not very good; I could get the same crap at any store closer to home; so I skipped out giving them my money and went to the Mall. How did the W store get such a reputation, when they suck, so bad?
They sure have alot of loyal customers for sucking so bad. Maybe they don't suck. Ever think of that?

I like Wal Mart and Sam's. I like deals. Saves me money to invest.
mamalu

Columbus, OH

#9 Jan 10, 2008
right on what goes around! Ron Paul for prez..it's your world people...pay attention!

“HOOD TAX!”

Since: Dec 07

OHIO

#10 Jan 10, 2008
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
Retreat and bring the troops home. We can't afford the war in Iraq & Afghanistan like Ron Paul keeps telling us.
but....but bushie/halliburton WON'T LET ANYONE LEAVE!

bushie IS NOW GOING TO "INSTALL" PEACE IN ISRAEL .....OMG! WHAT'S THAT GONNA COST US...?
Spirit of Reagan

Redwood City, CA

#11 Jan 10, 2008
GHOSTRIDER-OCEANA wrote:
<quoted text>
but....but bushie/halliburton WON'T LET ANYONE LEAVE!
bushie IS NOW GOING TO "INSTALL" PEACE IN ISRAEL .....OMG! WHAT'S THAT GONNA COST US...?
Funny to watch the intellectual flailing of the Bush Haters. Bottom line - we are winning and you Libs absolutely hate it.
what the_

Norwalk, OH

#12 Jan 10, 2008
What Goes Around wrote:
No kidding. The same retailers that have been paying minimum wages with no benefits to a work force that is being squeezed out of middle class status into paycheck to paycheck nightmares now complain that people aren't spending enough of their dollars? The same corporations that move their headquarters off shore to avoid paying already reduced taxes, that export jobs to third world countries to avoid paying living wages, that market lead filled plastic crap now complain that Americans don't buy enough?
Remember when Bone Head Bush was first running for President and the debate was over what to do with the budget surplus? Remember when there was a budget surplus? This nation is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy because of the greedheads in Washington. The corporate kleptocrats have gorged at the public trough long enough. People should refuse to spend money to support companies that refuse to return anything to the communities they service. People should boycott WalMart until the company wakes up to the fact that the creation of a generation of economic slaves is not good for the slaves, not good for the country and not good business.
BINGO!
what the_

Norwalk, OH

#13 Jan 10, 2008
abc wrote:
Why boycott Walmart and not Target? Remember Walmart is an Arkansas based company that had both Hillary and Michelle Obama on their boards.
yes, but most-if not all-of their consumer goods, apparel, toys, personal care products, tools, everything we use is manufactured in china and elsewhere off-shore.
ramon

Cleveland, OH

#14 Jan 10, 2008
Spirit of Reagan wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny to watch the intellectual flailing of the Bush Haters. Bottom line - we are winning and you Libs absolutely hate it.
Keep spending at Walmart but do biotch and moan when Reagan tells them to tear down that wall and they say stick it.

China owns us and Reagan would have never permitted it moron.
Jack

AOL

#15 Jan 10, 2008
The increase in sales at Walmart only demonstrates the increase in the percentage of the population that is trailer trash.
SDespot

Hudson, OH

#16 Jan 10, 2008
abc wrote:
Aren't these two stores ones that decide NOT to use the word "Christmas?" I'd boycott anyone who wants to be so politically correct that it is borderline insane.
Nancy

Akron, OH

#17 Jan 10, 2008
Got to love Walmart, I bought a pair of jeans
there once and when I dryed them in the dryer
they looked like a crumpled mess and then they
had all these white lines> love Wally
World! Hey they were cheap and made in Good Old
China!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pacific Sunwear of California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Consumer spending outlook hazy despite strong M... (Apr '07) Sep '11 Tax Payer View 3
News Retail sales look grim heading into back-to-sch... (Aug '08) Aug '08 nice 5
News Angst in Teen Retail? (Apr '08) Apr '08 david 2
News Malls losing specialty retailers (Mar '08) Mar '08 Daddy P 1
News Retailers report anemic January (Feb '08) Feb '08 LilOne 2
News Retailers Had Weak Sales in December (Jan '08) Jan '08 gle 12
News Retailers Report Solid Sales for August (Oct '07) Oct '07 nam 7
More from around the web