Retailers Report Solid Sales for August

Retailers Report Solid Sales for August

There are 7 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 30, 2007, titled Retailers Report Solid Sales for August. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Consumers undeterred by escalating credit problems and a weakening housing market went on a back-to-school buying spree last month, helping many retailers rebound from July's disappointing sales.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

gle

Hammond, IN

#1 Oct 11, 2007
It's interesting Macy's still blames things like weather for their poor sales performance. Why don't they just learn nobody likes their junk?
FLH

Dixon, IL

#2 Oct 11, 2007
Chicago stores can continue to expect a drop in sales as residents become too broke to buy new clothes, shoes and accessories thanks to Daley's tax hike. Save yourself the money folks... go shop in the burbs and fill your gas tank in the burbs. Stop feeding the beast!
DaveB

Chicago, IL

#3 Oct 11, 2007
gle wrote:
It's interesting Macy's still blames things like weather for their poor sales performance. Why don't they just learn nobody likes their junk?
It seems that macy's fared better than their competitiors, Carson sales down almost 7%, also JCPenney, Dillards, Kohl's all fared worse than Macy's.
DaveB

Chicago, IL

#4 Oct 11, 2007
gle wrote:
I guess nobody likes the other retailers junk even more
Too early for Christmas

Chicago, IL

#5 Oct 11, 2007
Maybe the sales are down because the stores have packed their stores with all the Christmas stuff that very few people want to get this early. I certainly haven't seen any private homes with Christmas decorations yet.
gle

Hammond, IN

#6 Oct 11, 2007
DaveB wrote:
<quoted text> It seems that macy's fared better than their competitiors, Carson sales down almost 7%, also JCPenney, Dillards, Kohl's all fared worse than Macy's.
Big deal. Macy's is still trash.
nam

Howell, MI

#8 Oct 12, 2007
Isn't funny that the discretionary spending stores (Macys, Nordstrom, Penny, Gap, Limited...) had bad sales numbers but the supermarkets (Target, Walmart) had good sales numbers?
Could it be that instead of more volume of sales, prices are actually higher (see latest inflation numbers for energy and food and the increase on credit card debt)?

I would think the journalist would have noticed too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pacific Sunwear of California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Consumer spending outlook hazy despite strong M... (Apr '07) Sep '11 Tax Payer View 3
News Retail sales look grim heading into back-to-sch... (Aug '08) Aug '08 nice 5
News Angst in Teen Retail? (Apr '08) Apr '08 david 2
News Malls losing specialty retailers (Mar '08) Mar '08 Daddy P 1
News Retailers report anemic January (Feb '08) Feb '08 LilOne 2
News Retailers Had Weak Sales in December (Jan '08) Jan '08 gle 12
News Retailers report weak results for December (Jan '08) Jan '08 Nancy 17
More from around the web