Local Catholics address gang violence...

Local Catholics address gang violence by taking part in Salinas...

There are 32 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Mar 26, 2010, titled Local Catholics address gang violence by taking part in Salinas.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Holy Cross Catholic Church parishioners are heeding a new call this weekend. A delegation of churchgoers will travel to Salinas on Saturday morning to take part in the Stand Up for Peace procession, an anti-gang violence event organized by the Diocese of Monterey and Communities Organized for Relational Power in Action.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#1 Mar 26, 2010
And will they also participate in the mayor's
"Fast for Peace"? I hear that really helps too.
Look, the cops know who the gang bangers are, and where they live... why do they let them???
Responsible Republican

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Mar 26, 2010
As always, the catholic church sticking their noses in a matter that is "plaguing" the community and pretending to care. NOBODY cares that **** priests go around pretending to care whilst hiding their sins.
Gordo Honky

United States

#3 Mar 26, 2010
Carl Bendix wrote:
And will they also participate in the mayor's
"Fast for Peace"? I hear that really helps too.
Look, the cops know who the gang bangers are, and where they live... why do they let them???
The gang bangers are the alternative pharmacy for Americans. They live a tough life and have to carry weapons unlike our friends at Walgreens and CVS. So, why should the cops make a big deal out of it? The Americans clearly want their illegal prescriptions and narcotics, so why should the police get in the way?

The DEMAND for pills and narcotics is because people in the USA have MONEY!!!! That money is what puts bread on the table for our (not so) friendly pharmacy people from the south of the boarder. The cops are not about to risk their lives (100k a year - not bad, copper) just to stop this alternative pharmacy. Heck, gosh, this alternative pharmacy has locations all over the country, so it's not like the coppers can get rid of them all.

So, if you see someone doing drugs which originated from the cartels, blame THEM for bringing them over here.
Gordo Honky

United States

#4 Mar 26, 2010
Responsible Republican wrote:
As always, the catholic church sticking their noses in a matter that is "plaguing" the community and pretending to care. NOBODY cares that **** priests go around pretending to care whilst hiding their sins.
Give the church some credit. Few priests are perverts, and the vast majority DO practice peaceful and useful love to all. It's always one bad apple (1 of 1000?/1 of 10,000?) that spoils the whole dang bunch.

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#5 Mar 26, 2010
Gordo Honky wrote:
<quoted text>The gang bangers are the alternative pharmacy for Americans. They live a tough life and have to carry weapons unlike our friends at Walgreens and CVS. So, why should the cops make a big deal out of it? The Americans clearly want their illegal prescriptions and narcotics, so why should the police get in the way?
The DEMAND for pills and narcotics is because people in the USA have MONEY!!!! That money is what puts bread on the table for our (not so) friendly pharmacy people from the south of the boarder. The cops are not about to risk their lives (100k a year - not bad, copper) just to stop this alternative pharmacy. Heck, gosh, this alternative pharmacy has locations all over the country, so it's not like the coppers can get rid of them all.
So, if you see someone doing drugs which originated from the cartels, blame THEM for bringing them over here.
All very interesting, but this is an oversimplification of the scope of the problem.(sorta like blaming the car owner for leaving his fancy car parked on the street and having it stolen) I blame our federal gubmint for not controlling what comes across our border. They are charged with maintaining our national security and they have failed big time. The states have attempted to mitigate the impact of the fed's unfunded mandates regarding illegals but have been over ruled every single time. And it is costing us all. And it is especially visible when money is tight. Try sneaking into Australia and see what happens.
Chavo del eight

Andover, MA

#6 Mar 26, 2010
Gordo Honky wrote:
<quoted text>Give the church some credit. Few priests are perverts, and the vast majority DO practice peaceful and useful love to all. It's always one bad apple (1 of 1000?/1 of 10,000?) that spoils the whole dang bunch.
Yes it may be 1 out of 1000, but the problem is that many many more priests know about it and choose to keep it quiet. It's funny how the Catholic religion denounces homosexuality yet the vast majority of sex scandals they are involved in are homosexual acts. I rarely go to church now and when I do I don’t donate any money because I know the money I’ve donated before has gone to pay off families of victims.
Fran Lomond

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Mar 26, 2010
It is also interesting that this is a COPA church coalition which advocates for illegal immigration.

I was going to say they just don't get it, then it occurred to me, that yes, they know exactly what they are doing. Justifying their RDA funding by increasing a problem and pretending to solve it.
Chavo del eight

Andover, MA

#8 Mar 26, 2010
Too add to my comment-

Not saying the families didn't deserve something, I just don't want to be a part of an organization that pays people off to keep quiet.
Another COPA Grab

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Mar 26, 2010
Fran Lomond wrote:
It is also interesting that this is a COPA church coalition which advocates for illegal immigration.
I was going to say they just don't get it, then it occurred to me, that yes, they know exactly what they are doing. Justifying their RDA funding by increasing a problem and pretending to solve it.
I agree with you - as an affiliate of Industrial Areas Foundation, COPA wants power and money. Actually they want public money to pay for their "training" of community "leaders."

And the two things COPA advocates for are low-income housing and "immigrant" rights. Witness how the COPA woman referenced the children of non-Emglish speaking illegal alians - "children of monolingual immigrant parents."

COPA claims that the Live Oak Family Resource Center is working wonders there - they get a lot of county moneey, are angling for even more but check out all the graffiti and increased gang activity in Live Oak.
I've become totally
distrustful and resentful of anything that group's name is associated with.
Double Shot

San Francisco, CA

#10 Mar 26, 2010
You DO realize that those who oppose homosexuality are not just Catholics? They may not even be Jewish. In fact, they don't particularly belong to a church. Stay on topic.

On the flip side, you don't have to go to church to be religious. In addition, giving back to your community does not equate to donating to church.
Chavo del eight wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it may be 1 out of 1000, but the problem is that many many more priests know about it and choose to keep it quiet. It's funny how the Catholic religion denounces homosexuality yet the vast majority of sex scandals they are involved in are homosexual acts. I rarely go to church now and when I do I don’t donate any money because I know the money I’ve donated before has gone to pay off families of victims.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#11 Mar 26, 2010
Chavo del eight wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it may be 1 out of 10000, but the problem is that many many more priests know about it and choose to keep it quiet. It's funny how the Catholic religion denounces homosexuality yet the vast majority of sex scandals they are involved in are homosexual acts. I rarely go to church now and when I do I don’t donate any money because I know the money I’ve donated before has gone to pay off families of victims.
I've noticed, however, that since the Church has been working to get rid of the homosexual Priest that there are almost no new instances of abuse. The lawsuits that have been filed involve people who just now remember being abused decades ago. I realize that the gays and gay lovers will say this is not a homosexual problem. But the fact is that about 92% of the abuse involved a male priest and a teenager. Also since the Catholic Church has been removing the gay Priest, new abuse reports have dropped to almost zero.
Ex-Catholic

United States

#12 Mar 26, 2010
They should tell their followers to only have as many children as they can properly raise. The way it is now they teach that god wants them to have as many as possible.
Forrest

Vancouver, WA

#13 Mar 26, 2010
We are Catholic, but no longer go to church. We try to always practice our religion but cannot in conscious support the church. Repeatedly the Catholic church has made it glaringly obvious that they are about one thing, and only one thing, MONEY. So we aren't impressed with this show, supporting many people who are here illegally is against the law. Yes, we'd all like to see the gangs go back to wherever the heck they came from, let decent law abiding people live their lives without being in fear, but I doubt that is what this drama is all about.
Chavo del eight

Andover, MA

#14 Mar 26, 2010
Double Shot wrote:
You DO realize that those who oppose homosexuality are not just Catholics? They may not even be Jewish. In fact, they don't particularly belong to a church. Stay on topic.
On the flip side, you don't have to go to church to be religious. In addition, giving back to your community does not equate to donating to church.
<quoted text>
I was responding to somebody that made a comment regarding Catholic priests
And who said I wasn't religious? I just said I don't go to church that often... gees
I'm sorry if my comment offended you for some nebulous reason.
Gordo Honky

United States

#15 Mar 26, 2010
the reason that US is the biggest consumer of drugs is because the people there are completely dissatisfied with their superficial materialistic lives in such a rat race competitive society. nto Australia and see what happens

(from another post)
Chavo del eight

Andover, MA

#16 Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Catholic wrote:
They should tell their followers to only have as many children as they can properly raise. The way it is now they teach that god wants them to have as many as possible.
Thank you!! I grew up in Watsonville and I know this too often. People raising families out of their means. But they sure can slap some DUBs on their cars.
Chavo del eight

Andover, MA

#17 Mar 26, 2010
Gordo Honky wrote:
the reason that US is the biggest consumer of drugs is because the people there are completely dissatisfied with their superficial materialistic lives in such a rat race competitive society. nto Australia and see what happens
(from another post)
I'm going to take a shot in dark and say you're a religious person.
if Australia was land locked with Mexico they'd have a similar problem we have here.
cashedout

Hurleyville, NY

#18 Mar 26, 2010
The Catholics are a part of the problem in the first place.

They want to no boarders, no birth control, to open the flood gates, for the benefit of their church..To be a Catholic you have to tithe you know.. Its all big organized, religious, tax free, hypocrite business.
dionisio

Millbrae, CA

#19 Mar 26, 2010
Since ALL the gang turds are good Catholics, why not let them march as well?
Catholic Teacher

San Francisco, CA

#21 Mar 26, 2010
NiteClerk wrote:
<quoted text>
I've noticed, however, that since the Church has been working to get rid of the homosexual Priest that there are almost no new instances of abuse. The lawsuits that have been filed involve people who just now remember being abused decades ago. I realize that the gays and gay lovers will say this is not a homosexual problem. But the fact is that about 92% of the abuse involved a male priest and a teenager. Also since the Catholic Church has been removing the gay Priest, new abuse reports have dropped to almost zero.
A Lack of reports does not mean that the abuse has stopped. Many victims are too ashamed to report what has happened to them, and it can take years to get these things disclosed. In the past 20 year, I have been lucky to have worked with a number of outstanding nuns and priests. I have also, however, worked with a very small handful of unethical and dishonest clergy or lay teachers who have committed acts unbecoming to their faith. Some were cited, but none were removed from their order or fired - just sent to other parishes or schools. It is like any other educational institution - there are always a very few educators or administrators who behave badly and/or mistreat children. They are also usually ferried around to other schools.
Talk to the children - they will tell you the truth. Whatever is told to me - I report - but after that, it turns political, both with CPS and the district or diocese.
It is enough to lose your faith, but honestly, there are so many good and kind Catholics.
I have been ostracized for reporting, by the way, by practicing Catholics who faithfully attend Church and raise their children in the faith.
I am currently teaching in a non-religious school and practice my Catholic Faith in my own way. I refuse to let people behaving badly drive me away from my beliefs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Pasta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Business on hold for P.G. pot club (Mar '10) May '15 Mike 8
News Mills brothers face new lawsuits over loans (Nov '08) Aug '14 Plain Simple 16
News Cannery Row - Monterey Bay Adventures (Dec '09) Sep '13 Old Timer 5
News Roshni Singh was strangled (Oct '08) Oct '12 denu 17
News Salyer American shuts its doors (May '09) Jul '12 A Ghost From the ... 14
News Monterey Sheriff's Son Arrested After Drugs Found (Jun '11) Jun '11 Freebo 2
News Letters: Mayor says numbers are wrong (Feb '09) Jun '11 jamie farr 15
More from around the web