Letters: Kanalakis has the experience

Full story: Monterey County Herald

This year's elections offer very stark choices for the direction California government will take: Meg Whitman and Gov.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19

Since: Sep 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

THOUGH WELL INTENTIONED, MR. DOMINY IS WRONG

Sheriff Mike Kanalakis has been running the sheriff’s department into the ground for the last eight years, during which time he has been an embarassment to the men and women who serve the general public in Monterey County as Deputy Sheriffs. Mike has shown he has been the wrong choice of voters in the past two general elections. And it is sad that voters are only now recognizing just how bad a sheriff Mr. Kanalakis has been. Mike unfortunately has never stopped politicking, and he has badly neglected the satisfactory performance of his elected duties: no new county jail and no solution to the ongoing problem of the recruitment/retention of deputies. And in fact it is actually time to change our current want-to-be show horse Mr. Kanalakis and employ the capable services of a work horse Mr. Miller. Please join me in voting for Scott Miller as our next sheriff.

Joe

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

I agree, Mike K. has the experience: in fund raising, hob nobbing with rich ag folks, using the Sheriff's office for personal gain, and pretty much being an ass.
Mel

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Helen Rucker, as a Board Member of the MPUSD, should focus on change with the District administration. She has direct control of the direction and transparency of that organization.
no more

Fairfax, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

I WONDER IF in-n-out IS GIVING MONEY TO KANO? after all he apparently loves taking inmates to eat their burgers
Polite letter

Marina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

The supporter of Kanalakis is polite but where does he get his information? Kanalakis a leader in all things law enforcement related? Kanalakis spends most of his time playing politics and low brow tactics in going after anyone who speaks against him - using the power of his office.

The gang problem is out of control and while Kanalakis is busy at fundraisers with certain monied up donors in Pebble Beach, Dave Gill, Tony Lombardo, those good folks at Monterey County Bank, Monterey County continues to suffer a failure in leadership.

Kanalakis has had the same amount of time Norm Hicks had to ruin morale within the sheriff's department and what happened after Norm Hicks' eight years? He was unseated by Deputy Gordon Sonne in a surprise for most of those who counted on Hicks generosity.

According to Fred Garcia the other primary candidate morale within the department is at an all time low (unless you ask Archie Warren or Matt Luther) and the voters soundly rejected Kanalakis in the primary by voting 66% for the other candidates. Kanalakis is in trouble and he should be, he has ruled with impunity, seemingly immune to the law. He breaks legitimate promises as often as most people brush their teeth and makes illegitimate promises that require further investigation.

Kanalakis has a personality unfit for the top law enforcement position in my opinion. These flawed individuals will do anything for them, for the win. It reminds me of a story of another flawed individual. Pablo Escobar. Escobar's son produced a documentary where he speaks of his father and his fathers legacy. The son said Escobar was so intent on winning he would cheat at monopoly by stuffing the couch with monopoly money. No matter how much Escobar would lose he would never run out of money.

Kanalakis reminds me of this personality type. Anything to win, cheat, lie it doesn't matter, all that matters is the win and the power.

If the voters don't set out to remove those who have been in power for many years don't expect things to get better, keeping these ineffective office holders in office validates them and serves to reinforce, in their mind, that they are doing nothing wrong.

Kanalakis has failed to serve Monterey County and deserves to lose this election.

This should apply to any current or future opportunist who uses their office solely for politics and personal aggrandizement rather than getting the job done!
Mel

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

Sounds like Kanalakis and Shepherd would be a match made in heaven.
Truth

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

I am not a Kanalakis supporter. However, I don't believe that Miller will be any better; just different. I think Garcia would have been the best choice, but Miller kept that from happening. In my opinion, Miller is an opportunist who took advantage of all the risk that Garcia took in opposing Kanalikis. If he were so interested and concerned about the Sheriff's performance why did he wait until Garcia had weakened Kanilakis? He has had sufficient time to try to replace Kanilakis on his own. If Miller had not split the vote, Garcia would clearly be the front runner as he deserves to be. Miller is a shameless opportunist who does not deserve to be Sheriff.
What Convoluted Logic

Pacific Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

Ok, "Truth". So you think Miller is not much better. Kanalakis is a terrible Sheriff. Garcia didn't get into the finals. I for one know that I'm not voting for another 4 years of Kanalakis' defective regime. If Miller's no better, we'll have the opportunity to vote him out in 4 years. Garcia, took the high road and backed Miller. Maybe you should take a clue from him and quit pouting. The goal now is to get rid of Kanalakis. Call Fred. He'll tell you the same thing.
yup

Fairfax, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

What Convoluted Logic wrote:
Ok, "Truth". So you think Miller is not much better. Kanalakis is a terrible Sheriff. Garcia didn't get into the finals. I for one know that I'm not voting for another 4 years of Kanalakis' defective regime. If Miller's no better, we'll have the opportunity to vote him out in 4 years. Garcia, took the high road and backed Miller. Maybe you should take a clue from him and quit pouting. The goal now is to get rid of Kanalakis. Call Fred. He'll tell you the same thing.
agreed. the goal is to get miller elected, and get rid of kano
Truth

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

If you think I am pouting over this, you have chosen the correct name. I will say again, I am not a Kanalakis supporter. I was expressing my opinion of Miller. As for Garcia taking the high road, what else would he do? He wants to beat Kanalakis more than he wants to beat Miller. I wonder why the Deputies didn't support Miller. I know they really didn't support Kanalakis either, but if Miller is such a great choice, why didn't they support him? We will learn all about Miller in the next four years if he is elected.
Bob Loblaw

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Oh yes, K has experience. So do we. We have experienced out-of-control gang violence and lack of deputies in unincorporated areas for years and years and years. How about trying something different?
HEIL THE FUHRER

Fairfax, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

KANO HAS THE EXPERIENCE....TO COMMAND THE SS WAFFEN, thats about it
What Convoluted Logic

Pacific Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Dear "Truth". The majority of the deputies didn't support Kanalakis because but they were afraid of repercussions. Their vote was not anonymous...it was done by email! That's not healthy for the department. They are probably wary of an outsider like Miller, but at some point....grow up. As I said, we know Kanalakis is a failure. Miller is the only other option. Give him 4 years, then keep him or throw him out. That's our choice. Please do not vote to continue Kanalakis. He's a failed, vindictive politician who does not have the Monterey County residents' best interest at heart. He politics constantly and he's a lawsuit waiting to happen on many levels. You could abstain for voting for either, but that would be stupid. Give Miller a chance to succeed or fail. We know Kanalakis is a failure...8 years is the proof in the pudding.
Truth

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Dear "Truth". The majority of the deputies didn't support Kanalakis because but they were afraid of repercussions. Their vote was not anonymous...it was done by email! That's not healthy for the department. They are probably wary of an outsider like Miller, but at some point....grow up. As I said, we know Kanalakis is a failure. Miller is the only other option. Give him 4 years, then keep him or throw him out. That's our choice. Please do not vote to continue Kanalakis. He's a failed, vindictive politician who does not have the Monterey County residents' best interest at heart. He politics constantly and he's a lawsuit waiting to happen on many levels. You could abstain for voting for either, but that would be stupid. Give Miller a chance to succeed or fail. We know Kanalakis is a failure...8 years is the proof in the pudding.
"Miller is the only other option". Exactly, and it is because of Miller. It is just that I hate to see such sleazy tactics rewarded. He tubed Garcia by splitting the vote and now he gets the plum! Garcia sacrificed his career and I doubt that Miller's warm and fuzzy "holistic" approach is going to be better than Kanalakis'. That is the same approach as Donahue. You see how well that has worked. I haven't decided yet, but Miller shouldn't make plans based on my vote. We deserve better.
To truth

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

It seems that anyone who challenges Kano sacrafices their career on some level. There is a time frame to get your name on the ballot and begin campaigning. Miller began his campaign for a primary in Dec 2009 well before the June 2010 primary so Truth's logic escapes me. Also, as Kano knows, Miller said he might run for sheriff in 2008 in a published news story on what he might do after ending his run on the city council.

Kano read all this of course and set on a mission to begin digging for dirt as he is known to do, he enlisted all those he could. Kano's goal is to dirty up the enemy with misleading information. It seems the information about Kano, lying to the media, offering jobs or promostions to others for their support, working with Tony Lombardo the slimely land use attorney on special deals is Kano's style.

Unfit for office should be the Kano label.

This election should so to the Kano supporters that all the special interest money can't buy you the sheriff's office and no matter how many Det Sgt Archie Warrens or Det Sgt Matt Luthers you have helping you, doing anything for you, rigging a no-vote with the DSA, you just can't put old humpty dumpty back together again.

Bye bye Kano. The public is about to hand you their vote of no-confidence.

Althought watch for last minute political stunts from Kano. Sudden gang sweeps, big announcements of news things at the sheriff's department. All to keep Kano in power. Like his not so successful, not involved in Operation Knockout.
No to Kano

Pacific Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

"Truth" is whining about Miller's right to enter into a democratic process to replace the current sheriff. Sorry "Truth" that it upset your applecart where you wanted Garcia to replace the sheriff. It still doesn't detract from the fact that Mike Kanalakis needs to be replaced.

I'm sure Miller would like your vote. If you want to obstinately vote to continue with Kanalakis just because you're miffed at Miller for entering the race, then you are one uninformed voter. Ask Fred Garcia. There are plenty of other voters out there, including Fred, that are begging to and already voting to get rid of Kanalakis.

If you really want to get some answers, contact Scott Miller. I did. I listened to his plan for the Sheriff's department and also his answers to some of my particular concerns. Scott got right back to me and we had an intelligent discussion on my issues. By the way, I tried to get feedback on my same questions from Kanalakis. Never got a return call. Guess he's too busy putting up his yard signs.

If you have real questions, go to the source and quit whining.
Truth

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

No to Kano wrote:
"Truth" is whining about Miller's right to enter into a democratic process to replace the current sheriff. Sorry "Truth" that it upset your applecart where you wanted Garcia to replace the sheriff. It still doesn't detract from the fact that Mike Kanalakis needs to be replaced.
I'm sure Miller would like your vote. If you want to obstinately vote to continue with Kanalakis just because you're miffed at Miller for entering the race, then you are one uninformed voter. Ask Fred Garcia. There are plenty of other voters out there, including Fred, that are begging to and already voting to get rid of Kanalakis.
If you really want to get some answers, contact Scott Miller. I did. I listened to his plan for the Sheriff's department and also his answers to some of my particular concerns. Scott got right back to me and we had an intelligent discussion on my issues. By the way, I tried to get feedback on my same questions from Kanalakis. Never got a return call. Guess he's too busy putting up his yard signs.
If you have real questions, go to the source and quit whining.
You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I am not whining, I have said repeatedly that I am not a Kanalakis supporter. Well for your information, I am not a Garcia supporter either. My opinion was about the timing of Miller's entry into the race. According to an article in the Monterey County Weekly by Jude Joffe-Block, "Miller threw his hat into the ring seven months after the race had already been defined as a contest between the Sheriff and one of his Commanders". Again, in my opinion, Miller took advantage of the situation. Do you believe for an instant that Miller wasn't smart enough to calculate that he only had to beat one man to be in a run-off? Fortunately for Miller, he drew Kanalakis, the weakened Sheriff. I doubt that he could beat Garcia. It is about fairness; and yes I know life is not fair.
I approve this comment

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

I don't trust Kanalakis.

I don't believe in Kanalakis.

I have never voted for Kanalakis.

I will not vote for Kanalakis.
duhh

Fairfax, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

hell no to kano

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Monterey Pasta Discussions

Search the Monterey Pasta Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Cannery Row - Monterey Bay Adventures (Dec '09) Sep '13 Old Timer 5
Roshni Singh was strangled (Oct '08) Oct '12 denu 17
Salyer American shuts its doors (May '09) Jul '12 A Ghost From the Past 14
Monterey Sheriff's Son Arrested After Drugs Found (Jun '11) Jun '11 Freebo 2
Letters: Mayor says numbers are wrong (Feb '09) Jun '11 jamie farr 15
Support strong for MPUSD bond (Nov '10) Apr '11 Dixie 64
Hammonds' travels take couple all over the world (Jan '11) Apr '11 Woody Woodward 6
•••
•••
•••
•••