Seaside Fire Dept. warns JPA plan may...

Seaside Fire Dept. warns JPA plan may cut service

There are 39 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jun 2, 2010, titled Seaside Fire Dept. warns JPA plan may cut service. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Firefighting, it turns out, can be a hot topic. Seaside residents could face a decreased level of fire protection and loss of control if a proposed regional fire services plan is approved, the Seaside Firefighters Association said Tuesday at a meeting at the Embassy Suites Hotel Monterey Bay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
doubtful

Hollister, CA

#22 Jun 5, 2010
PG thinks this is such a wonderful idea b/c it will cost them over one million dollars to bail out of the deal w/ Monterey. It will cost them less if Seaside and Carmel jump into the pit. Monterey thinks this is such a great idea b/c it will make money for their city...and they will not have to lay off any employees. Ask some of the Monterey firefighters who are on the chopping block if this doesn't go through what the real cost is.
When did anyone on the peninsula care about what the citizens of Seaside get...or don't get, other than the residents of Seaside of course. It's a long standing tradition for the citizens of Monterey to trash Seaside residents, do you honestly think that will change w/ a JPA?
And as for Wombacher, he doesn't give a lick about the city of Seaside, it's all about him and what HE has accomplished. He wants his way...always has been his way or the highway!
Test

Berkeley, CA

#23 Jun 5, 2010
To Seaside FD,
After 20 yrs. in the fire service on the Monterey Peninsula I have gotten to know many of you and consider you my brother firemen. For those of you who know me, you know how transparent I am and that my integrity speaks for itself. That being said, let me make it clear that I have nothing to gain by supporting the formation of a JPA. I have to say that I agree with Chris Reitenour's comment about Seaside and Monterey having great fire departments. I want to add to that by saying that every fire department on the peninsula(Carmel, PG, Airport, Marina all included) provides an excellent service to its citizens, but together it could be outstanding. Let's face it guys, we are in unprecedented economical times and it is time that we come up with positive and real solutions. Simply giving back all that we have negotiated for over the last 10-15 years might not be the most wise thing to do here. Let's remember that as a member of the IAFF we have a responsibility to collectively bargain for such items. We are asking you to join us on this journey. None of us should be standing alone to fight off what might be coming. Together we are strong. Let's build something great together. If it doesn't work out, then so be it, at least we can say that we gave it our best shot. But when it does, and I know it will, we can tell the stories to our children, grandchildren, etc. about how we worked together with people of different ideas and backgrounds, made comprimises and sacrifices to achieve a common goal. We can look back and be proud of the legacy that we implemented for our future firefighters. And we did it all in order to provide a better, more efficient and more affordable fire service for all of us here on the Monterey Peninsula.
For those of you who are posting these non-productive messages I ask you to take a minute, step back, set aside the pridefulness and think about rising above such tactics. The opposite of pridefulness is humility. Somewhere in between lies a person of great integrity. To be humble enough to do what is right, and proud of the things which are honorable.
I tell you the truth my firefighter brothers and sisters that we are good departments apart, but we will be awesome together. Let's build this TOGETHER and be proud-I know we can!!

With sincerity and Brotherly Love,
Russell MFD
Disgusted

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#24 Jun 7, 2010
The city leaders of Monterey and Seaside are once again flaunting its me-first culture in their attempts to form a Fire Service JPA.
The decisions being made are from city managers who without considering all the facts feel that this is the way to save costs. The JPA at least this JPA is nothing more than one city trying to build a kingdom by hostile takeovers. The carefully worded merger or consolidation continually seems to arise when speaking of the city’s of Monterey and Pacific Grove and their fire departments, in fact the city of Pacific Grove contracted out its fire services to Monterey.
The original format was to have cities who wanted to join into a JPA do so at their own free will. If the firefighter unions were against the merger then that city would not be included. That’s not the way it is. The city of Monterey is doing everything within their power to force agencies to be part of this so called JPA despite strong opposition of firefighters of certain cities.
The city of Seaside Firefighters recently opposed the JPA concept knowing full well that this was a hostile takeover and not in the best interest for the citizens of Seaside. The idea is to form a JPA and it seems to have already been decided, the fire chief would be non-other than the present fire chief of Monterey. Why not someone from outside of these cities who could oversee this JPA without being the puppet of Monterey city manager Fred Meauer. Are the city of Monterey present Chief Officers going to be displaced or removed or would it be the Seaside Chief Officers. Think about it.
Each time the leadership of the cities puts self-interest ahead of the public interest, it is the citizens who lose and over the years the citizens have lost a lot from its present leadership.
If this was such a great cure all for the cities and fire districts in Monterey County then why are their only a small percentage of cities involved. The cities of Del Rey Oaks and Sand City really have a choice in the matter since they have their fire protection provided by contracts to the cities of Monterey and Seaside. Carmel is looking but has not yet committed. If these leaders wanted one fire department or agency why not CALFIRE. See what the Monterey Firefighters would say about that; see what the city manager of Monterey would say about that. Now that would really be a significant savings since CALFIRE firefighters work a 72 hour work week instead of a 56 hour work week which would reduce the cities from three platoons to two platoons, now that would be a savings. It seems to work for Pebble Beach and other districts within California, why not Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel.
"In my heart of hearts, in their “Seaside Firefighters” heart of hearts, know that this hostile takeover would not be in the best interest for the city of Seaside residents, businesses and those who frequent the city of Seaside.
The leadership of Seaside and their fire chief have never given a damn about their citizens and their ultimate safety. If you dig deep enough there is supporting evidence to that fact. I urge the citizens of Seaside to get with their respective council members and vote no to this shame of a JPA. Listen to the Seaside Firefighters Cost Savings plan and allow them to continually serve you not the puppet master.
WOW

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#25 Jun 7, 2010
Hit the nail on the head Disgusted. This merger is simply a way for the City of Monterey to have someone else foot the bill. This is not a knock against the firefighters, this is a knock against their management and their city leaders. The Monterey leaders found a mouthpiece in Seaside Fire Chief Jerry Wombaucher to do their dirty work without properly consulting the firefighters and the citizens of seaside. Chief Wombaucher has built himself quite a reputation of deciet. If you don't believe me, just ask the Seaside Firefighters, City of Marina Firefighters and the Army. Don't take my word, by all means see for yourself. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck!
No to Wombacher

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#26 Jun 7, 2010
Should we even trust the Seaside City Council to make the right decision on the JPA, look what they have done to our city as it is Auto Mall, Strip Mall (Broadway and Fremont), Measure R all a joke and waste of money. The only thing bright about Chief Wombacher is the Bull /S coming out of his mouth. Same goes for the Rubio, Corpez. They all got to go. Keep Seaside Fire Seaside Fire.
GARCIA NOW

Mill Valley, CA

#27 Jun 7, 2010
AGREED. Seaside City council has screwed up the budget, they spent millions of the auto mall that has almost no customers, they spent public safety money from measure R on whatever they wanted, they fired a great police chief out of revenge, and they hired a scandal ridden city manager.

when november comes, we need to vote out ralph rubio, mancini, bloomer and then fire ray corpuz

they think weve forgotten what theyve done. when november comes, they need to start printing out their resumes.
thelight

Hollister, CA

#28 Jun 9, 2010
for the latest, up to date and factual information go to: www.seasidefirefighters.org
about time

Seaside, CA

#29 Jun 9, 2010
thelight wrote:
for the latest, up to date and factual information go to: www.seasidefirefighters.org
VERY GOOD INFORMATION!
OurHouse

Morgan Hill, CA

#30 Jun 9, 2010
There have been a tremendous outpouring of suport on these pages for our firefighters and the pride we take in calling them our own. But folks, this is just not going to be enough. Everyone of us that feel as though Seaside is and has been our home need to call every person that we know to show up for the council meeting on June 17th. We need to make OUR voice heard and let our elected officials know that we have had enough of them running our city into the ground and we are here to let them know it. It was very obvious after the last council meeting that Ray Corpuz and Ralph Rubio are ready and willing to make another uneducated decision regarding our town and our future
Check it out

Seaside, CA

#31 Jun 9, 2010
www.Seasidefirefighters.org

Make an educated decision. Let your elected officials know you want them to leave your fire department alone!
CalFire is the Option

King City, CA

#32 Jun 9, 2010
Cal Fire is the best option for the City of Seaside. As an employee of Cal Fire I truly feel it is in the best interest of the city to explore all options for fire service, not just an JPA.

We are the largest fire department in California, and provide cities with cost effective service to our communities we serve. We provide Paramedics on our engines which Seaside Firefighters currently do not provide.

Even when both apparatuses from Seaside become committed to fires we can mobilize additional resources into the city to cover the next call. Cal Fire has some of the fastest response times in the country. Look at the facts and visit;

http://www.fire.ca.gov/

In these tough economic times we need to sometimes look outside of the bubble so to speak and look what is best for the Seaside Community as a whole. If not, Seaside will probably become just like Salinas closing down Library’s, and laying off more firefighters.

Additionally, CalFire would bring every firefighter on board from Seaside, who would continue to work in Seaside. How is this cost effective? Having your Firefighters work a 72 hour work week instead of a 56 hour work week will save drastically on salary, and benefits packages.

I will be urging all city council members to make an educated decision. Just inquire with us on what the projected cost would be to provide fire services.
Disgusted

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#33 Jun 10, 2010
As a person who resides within the city limits of Seaside I have grave concerns over the possible loss of the Seaside Fire Department to this so called JPA. I perceive this to be a hostile takeover engineered by the city managers and the fire chiefs of Monterey and Seaside. If you look at the past history over the last seven years the city has taken a dramatic turn for the worst within its fire and police departments. This is not the fault of the dedicated firefighters and police officers who serve the city but by their city manager, mayor, city council and their fire chief. False statements, deception and hidden agenda's seem to be the norm for the city's leadership. I believe strongly that the citizens need to stand-up and let their voices be heard. Attend the council meetings, write your representatives and let them know you want Seaside to keep its fire and police departments under the citys control, the residents control and let your voices be heard.
Watered Down

Seaside, CA

#34 Jun 10, 2010
Getting in bed with the state is real smart?? The State is more unstable then the Cities. In fact the State is the reason many cities are in such trouble.

Sounds like a plan:

Continue to take money from cities and counties until they cant sustain themselves. Once that happens come in and offer to save them with a watered down version of what they had before.

From what I have been told, Cal Fire should stay out of local issues unless they are invited. If you are truly a Cal Fire employee then you should not overstep your bounds.

OR, is this the fear mongering, lying, manipulating Wombacher (notice I didn't say Chief)? Dont let the door hit you on the way out.
Agree

Seaside, CA

#35 Jun 10, 2010
Watered Down wrote:
Getting in bed with the state is real smart?? The State is more unstable then the Cities. In fact the State is the reason many cities are in such trouble.
Sounds like a plan:
Continue to take money from cities and counties until they cant sustain themselves. Once that happens come in and offer to save them with a watered down version of what they had before.
From what I have been told, Cal Fire should stay out of local issues unless they are invited. If you are truly a Cal Fire employee then you should not overstep your bounds.
OR, is this the fear mongering, lying, manipulating Wombacher (notice I didn't say Chief)? Dont let the door hit you on the way out.
That is so true. The city would have NO control at that point. Take a look at what is being talked about in Riverside County. Riverside is a Cal Fire Contract and it has become so expensive for the County that they are looking to drop Cal Fire. The state will have its way with whoever will let them.

Read This;

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/swcounty/ar...
hmmmm

Seaside, CA

#36 Jun 10, 2010
Agree wrote:
<quoted text>
That is so true. The city would have NO control at that point. Take a look at what is being talked about in Riverside County. Riverside is a Cal Fire Contract and it has become so expensive for the County that they are looking to drop Cal Fire. The state will have its way with whoever will let them.
Read This;
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/swcounty/ar...
Interesting
Shocker Not

Seaside, CA

#37 Jun 10, 2010
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting
What did you expect?
watching what happens

Salinas, CA

#38 Jun 11, 2010
Watered Down wrote:
Sounds like a plan:
I guess a CAL FIRE employee loses his/her right to voice an opinion? I'm not the letter writer, I'm not a CAL FIRE employee, but I know several (as well as city and fire district employees). I find all of the firefighters I know to be dedicated and sincere, so please don't be short-sighted and forget to look at all options. Riverside County has a good department, they (county board of supervisors) are the ones who established staffing levels that are now unsustainable with the current economy. They do have local control; all they would need to do to save money is decide which positions to uncover (sound familiar?)
If they established their own department, mark my words, it will be a LOT more than what CAL FIRE is doing it for.(check out Tulare County if you want to see a comparison of before and after).
Seaside has an excellent department.....I think going with Monterey would be a mistake.
NO TO JPA

Mill Valley, CA

#39 Jun 11, 2010
monterey doesnt give a damn about service in seaside. fred meurer only has montereys interest in mind and if seaside suffers then so what because its just a middle class community. monterey is a predator looking to take advantage of cities with budget problems, and they are trying to sell seaside a dream.

support the seaside firefighters. vote out rubio, bloomer, mancini and fire corpuz.
Investigator

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#40 Jun 12, 2010
After doing some research into this JPA issue with the cities of Monterey and Seaside I found that there are many issues not being addressed in this proposed consolidation. A Preliminary Analysis into what is factual shows that this JPA should not even begin at this point in time. There are so many unanswered questions and many issues associated with a proper JPA that the proponents of this have not even began to address. I feel that it would be very careless for the city of Seaside to venture into such an agreement at this time and most likely ever join into this JPA. So far with the emphasis to fast track the signing of such an agreement with so many open and unanswered questions it appears that this is designed by the city managers and chiefs designated to design this JPA to intentionally deceive and deprive the citizens of the city of Seaside and others to fully study this option and make an informed decision to present to their respective councils. Given the history of the current city leaders for Seaside and making choices which have placed their city into this financial bind you would think they would want to see an established successful and fully functional JPA separate from one cities control before entering into such an agreement. The citizens of Seaside should be privileged to a cost versus benefits analysis to ensure that the so called reduction of costs will not lead to a reduction of services, especially life safety services. The citizens of Seaside need to insure that their elected officials do not further add to the financial burden by blindly voting to enter into to this. Make your concerns and voices heard by writing your council members and attending the July 17th meeting to stop your city from making another mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Pasta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Business on hold for P.G. pot club (Mar '10) May '15 Mike 8
News Mills brothers face new lawsuits over loans (Nov '08) Aug '14 Plain Simple 16
News Cannery Row - Monterey Bay Adventures (Dec '09) Sep '13 Old Timer 5
News Roshni Singh was strangled (Oct '08) Oct '12 denu 17
News Salyer American shuts its doors (May '09) Jul '12 A Ghost From the ... 14
News Monterey Sheriff's Son Arrested After Drugs Found (Jun '11) Jun '11 Freebo 2
News Letters: Mayor says numbers are wrong (Feb '09) Jun '11 jamie farr 15
More from around the web