Seaside Fire Dept. warns JPA plan may...

Seaside Fire Dept. warns JPA plan may cut service

There are 39 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jun 2, 2010, titled Seaside Fire Dept. warns JPA plan may cut service. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Firefighting, it turns out, can be a hot topic. Seaside residents could face a decreased level of fire protection and loss of control if a proposed regional fire services plan is approved, the Seaside Firefighters Association said Tuesday at a meeting at the Embassy Suites Hotel Monterey Bay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
For Consolidation

Marina, CA

#1 Jun 2, 2010
This sounds like the tail wagging the dog. Don't the firefighters know that Seaside and all other municipalities throughout the state are facing severe budget constraints and are considering similar consolidations with fire and police services? Yes, they know, this was more of a rhetorical question. Consolidation is the only way to go, should have been considered 20+ years ago for many of the municipal servives provided on the peninsula. To Seaside firefighters: Yes I know change is difficult, but get on the bandwagon of change. Your political tactic by going to the citizens with your one sided story was wrong. Citizens of Seaside and other cities on the peninsula: You will be better served by a consolidated peninsula fire department instead of all these smaller fifedoms that believe they are the top dog in the fight. In reality, there is no fight, consolidation is about providing the best service, which is consolidated services. Council and city manager, time to make the decision to proceed forward. The fire folks will get on board when they see how well it works.
FarrfromTruth

Monterey, CA

#2 Jun 2, 2010
If you think consolidation is a new idea, you are mistaken. Consolidation has been considered many times for probably thirty years or more. It has been rejected each time, mainly because of loss of local control. I am sure the firefighters, after losing three firefighters to layoffs, are well aware of the serious budget problems. Also while consolidation sounds good, it could actually be more expensive. Because of negotiated contracts it will be difficult to eliminate or reduce positions and/or salaries and benefits. You will probably end up with the same people in the same positions with unchanged salaries and benefits, but different position titles. Such as Assistant Chiefs instead of Chiefs. You will certainly be paying more for the management of the larger department, which will undoubtedly in my opinion, go to Monterey. The firefighters are right, Seaside residents will not be as well served. Also, when was the last time that you know of, when a governmental agency reduced it's budget by becoming larger? Not in my lifetime!!
Monterey Taking Advantage

United States

#3 Jun 2, 2010
It seems like the City of Monterey is calling all the shots & taking advantage of other cities budget problems.
PG was/is in a terrible budget bind & here comes Monterey swooping up their fire dept with a contract that is very financially advantageous to Monterey at PG's expense.
Now here again comes this JPA, spearheaded by Monterey with their chief to take the head chief position, none the less. Not unlike PG, Seaside is in a bind, having just lost 3 firefighters & Monterey is putting the squeeze on with a rushed plan. Monterey Fire is already overstaffed with chiefs & firefighters. I don't see any layoffs there!
Whatever happens needs to be in the best interest of SEASIDE, not a bunch of JPA chiefs wanting an extra fat retirement.
Real Bad

San Pedro, CA

#4 Jun 2, 2010
Sure are some short sighted people on the fire union. I suspect they will save their own jobs, long term by this JPA. Chief Wombacher is apparently pretty bright and trying to do what is in the best interest of his city and dept.
Commonsense

Risingsun, OH

#5 Jun 2, 2010
If you really want to save money how about training cops to fight fires like in Sunnyvale. No more paying firefighters to sleep, cook, and work out. Total scam.
Farrfromtruth

Monterey, CA

#6 Jun 2, 2010
Real Bad wrote:
Sure are some short sighted people on the fire union. I suspect they will save their own jobs, long term by this JPA. Chief Wombacher is apparently pretty bright and trying to do what is in the best interest of his city and dept.
Don't give too much credit to Wombacher. He is retired, but continuing to draw a nice salary. He has got his and is not too concerned with anybody else, or the City.
Tired

San Clemente, CA

#7 Jun 2, 2010
I don't know much about this proposed consolidation but I do know a lot about public safety unions. Sitting in months of meetings to only express concerns at the 11th hour is a typical union tactic. The idea is to learn as much as possible by appearing to collaborate and to then work behind the curtain to influence the elected policy makers as desired. If the union says this proposal is a bad idea then I would urge all Seaside voters (aka taxpayers) to immediately contact members of the city council and demand that the proposed consolidation be approved.
YesWay

Monterey, CA

#8 Jun 2, 2010
Farrfromtruth wrote:
<quoted text>Don't give too much credit to Wombacher. He is retired, but continuing to draw a nice salary. He has got his and is not too concerned with anybody else, or the City.
Yeah but I would assume he would be leaving if Seaside joined a JPA. He's got his but it's not like he's trying to save his job or make any more money out of the merger. I think he's trying to do the RIGHT thing.
Farrfromtruth

Monterey, CA

#9 Jun 2, 2010
YesWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but I would assume he would be leaving if Seaside joined a JPA. He's got his but it's not like he's trying to save his job or make any more money out of the merger. I think he's trying to do the RIGHT thing.
Your assumption that he is leaving may be right, but then why should he leave if he is drawing a 90% retirement plus a very good salary from the city at the same time? It may be just as likely that your assumption is wrong. Why do you think he is trying to do the right thing for anyone but himself?
NO JPA WITH MONTEREY

Mill Valley, CA

#10 Jun 2, 2010
A JPA WITH MONTEREY INVOLVED ONLY SERVES THE INTERESTS OF MONTEREY
AND SCREW RAY CORPUZ, HE AND FRED MEUER ARE IN CAHOOTS TO TAKE DOWN THE SEASIDE FIRE DEPT AS WELL AS THE SEASIDE POLICE DEPT.
DONT FORGET TO VOTE AGAINST RALPH RUBIO IN NOVEMBER. HE AND CORPUZ ARE BAD FOR SEASIDE..........
YesWay

Monterey, CA

#11 Jun 2, 2010
NO JPA WITH MONTEREY wrote:
A JPA WITH MONTEREY INVOLVED ONLY SERVES THE INTERESTS OF MONTEREY
AND SCREW RAY CORPUZ, HE AND FRED MEUER ARE IN CAHOOTS TO TAKE DOWN THE SEASIDE FIRE DEPT AS WELL AS THE SEASIDE POLICE DEPT.
DONT FORGET TO VOTE AGAINST RALPH RUBIO IN NOVEMBER. HE AND CORPUZ ARE BAD FOR SEASIDE..........
I find it really hard to belive that everyone is just out to "take down" Seaside.... It is hard to belive that Seaside's own city manager, own fire cheif, and Monterey's city manager all have it out for Seaside. Sounds a bit schitzophrenic to me...And if Pacific Grove got such a bad deal why did they vote to continue the process. If the water is bad, you don't keep drinking the water!
Eyes Wide Open

Soledad, CA

#12 Jun 2, 2010
Commonsense wrote:
If you really want to save money how about training cops to fight fires like in Sunnyvale. No more paying firefighters to sleep, cook, and work out. Total scam.
There's a reason why there are only two "True" Departments of Public Safety in this state!
WORST EVER

Mill Valley, CA

#13 Jun 3, 2010
YesWay wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it really hard to belive that everyone is just out to "take down" Seaside.... It is hard to belive that Seaside's own city manager, own fire cheif, and Monterey's city manager all have it out for Seaside. Sounds a bit schitzophrenic to me...And if Pacific Grove got such a bad deal why did they vote to continue the process. If the water is bad, you don't keep drinking the water!
You apparently dont know about the Seaside city manager and how he fired the police chief out of revenge. Corpuz also does not like the Fire Dept either. In 2008 Seaside voters passed Measure R, which was supposed to go to police and fire to hire more people, but thanks to Corpuz it never happened.

but you know what. you have your opinion, and others have theirs. go ahead and be pro JPA, you wont change ONE mind on this board.
thats just the bottom line.
Working together

Berkeley, CA

#14 Jun 3, 2010
I just wanted to say a little about the mudslinging going on. I'm one of the other guys. I'm all for this to work out between us. Us being Monterey, Seaside, Carmel and whatever Departments decide to get on board. We already work together daily , how about yesterday morning at the fire? We train together, we go on strike teams together. Is this really such a big jump? Do we want bad blood between us when we're all one Department? Think about it for a minute. Monterey is not the 'Bad Guy'. Let's work together to make the future of the peninsula fire service cooperative and positve.
Now Hear This

Frazier Park, CA

#15 Jun 3, 2010
I’ve momentarily become irrational and I’ve fallen victim to the curiosity of looking at this series of ridiculous blogs regarding the fire merger. It’s too bad, because in doing so I’ve become somewhat disheartened over certain comments, some of which are obviously from members of the fire service.
First of all, the fire department of Seaside didn’t warn anyone that a JPA is a terrible idea. In some places it has worked well and in others it has not. Seaside’s fire fighters have legitimate concerns about maintaining response times and other terms contained in the JPA document. These are all issues that can be addressed, and should logically be evaluated by each partner before the JPA is approved. Monterey and Pacific Grove seem satisfied that the JPA meets their needs and that’s fine. Now, Seaside and Carmel should be allowed to evaluate whether the JPA meets their needs as well.
In regards to the fire fighters, the truth is that the majority are dedicated, hard working professionals, regardless of the name on the badge or patch they wear. And while I too have my opinion, it’s important to maintain integrity and not allow a few idiots to make rash comments and start a feud! There are negative comments bantered back and forth daily about one group being better or worse than another, and the dumb statements accomplish absolutely nothing positive. The truth is that every fire department, small, medium, or large has its problems. And, none of ours is perfect.
Obviously, there are many folks who have strong feelings for or against the proposed JPA. Is it good, or bad? Will it save money, or cost more? Will it increase service, or decrease service? The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The official fire association position from Seaside is Neutral. If the JPA has safeguards in place that ensure an equal or improved level of protection to the citizens of Seaside and Del Rey Oaks, then the Seaside Fire Firefighters will stand behind it.
We may approach things from a different perspective, but when it comes right down to it, Monterey has a god fire department, and so does Seaside. For those of you who want to make stupid statements, do us all a favor and apply to Geico. They are searching for a fresh crowd of Neanderthals who can dress as cavemen and make insurance commercials for a living!
Chris Reitenour
OH BOY

Mill Valley, CA

#17 Jun 3, 2010
Now Hear This wrote:
I’ve momentarily become irrational and I’ve fallen victim to the curiosity of looking at this series of ridiculous blogs regarding the fire merger. It’s too bad, because in doing so I’ve become somewhat disheartened over certain comments, some of which are obviously from members of the fire service.
First of all, the fire department of Seaside didn’t warn anyone that a JPA is a terrible idea. In some places it has worked well and in others it has not. Seaside’s fire fighters have legitimate concerns about maintaining response times and other terms contained in the JPA document. These are all issues that can be addressed, and should logically be evaluated by each partner before the JPA is approved. Monterey and Pacific Grove seem satisfied that the JPA meets their needs and that’s fine. Now, Seaside and Carmel should be allowed to evaluate whether the JPA meets their needs as well.
In regards to the fire fighters, the truth is that the majority are dedicated, hard working professionals, regardless of the name on the badge or patch they wear. And while I too have my opinion, it’s important to maintain integrity and not allow a few idiots to make rash comments and start a feud! There are negative comments bantered back and forth daily about one group being better or worse than another, and the dumb statements accomplish absolutely nothing positive. The truth is that every fire department, small, medium, or large has its problems. And, none of ours is perfect.
Obviously, there are many folks who have strong feelings for or against the proposed JPA. Is it good, or bad? Will it save money, or cost more? Will it increase service, or decrease service? The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The official fire association position from Seaside is Neutral. If the JPA has safeguards in place that ensure an equal or improved level of protection to the citizens of Seaside and Del Rey Oaks, then the Seaside Fire Firefighters will stand behind it.
We may approach things from a different perspective, but when it comes right down to it, Monterey has a god fire department, and so does Seaside. For those of you who want to make stupid statements, do us all a favor and apply to Geico. They are searching for a fresh crowd of Neanderthals who can dress as cavemen and make insurance commercials for a living!
Chris Reitenour
NOTHING BUT ANOTHER MONTEREY MOUTHPIECE. save it were have our own opinions
Farrfromtruth

Monterey, CA

#18 Jun 3, 2010
OH BOY wrote:
<quoted text>
NOTHING BUT ANOTHER MONTEREY MOUTHPIECE. save it were have our own opinions
Chris Reitenour has demonstrated a great deal of integrity and told you that all the firefighters will do the right thing. He is a SEASIDE firefighter, not a Monterey mouthpiece. He also happens to be right and telling the truth.
WOW

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#19 Jun 4, 2010
Real Bad wrote:
You sure don't know Jerry Wombacher! A merger sounds great, so I guess we should consolidate all of the mayors, city councils, public works and police depts. as well. While we are at it, lets get rid of all of the small buisnesses in the area and just build a walmart to consolidate buisnesses. What do you do for a living? Maybe we can consolidate your job with a competitor who wants to lower the level of service provided to customerswhile possibly eliminating your position all in the name of saving money!
bauer107

Mill Valley, CA

#20 Jun 5, 2010
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure don't know Jerry Wombacher! A merger sounds great, so I guess we should consolidate all of the mayors, city councils,
HAHAHAHA! im with that. lets merge political offices, get rid of our worthless public leaders, like Ralph Rubio, Ray Corpuz, Fred Meurer, and the who PG Council.

Test

Berkeley, CA

#21 Jun 5, 2010
TEST

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Pasta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Business on hold for P.G. pot club (Mar '10) May '15 Mike 8
News Mills brothers face new lawsuits over loans (Nov '08) Aug '14 Plain Simple 16
News Cannery Row - Monterey Bay Adventures (Dec '09) Sep '13 Old Timer 5
News Roshni Singh was strangled (Oct '08) Oct '12 denu 17
News Salyer American shuts its doors (May '09) Jul '12 A Ghost From the ... 14
News Monterey Sheriff's Son Arrested After Drugs Found (Jun '11) Jun '11 Freebo 2
News Letters: Mayor says numbers are wrong (Feb '09) Jun '11 jamie farr 15
More from around the web