NC utility to switch plant from coal ...

NC utility to switch plant from coal to gas

There are 4 comments on the www.forbes.com story from Oct 2, 2009, titled NC utility to switch plant from coal to gas. In it, www.forbes.com reports that:

Progress Energy Inc. said it has won regulatory approval to replace a North Carolina coal-fired power plant with one that will burn natural gas to generate electricity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.forbes.com.

“Love of $ is the Root of Evil”

Since: Sep 08

Gotham City

#1 Oct 2, 2009
Wow.. It took them this long to switch out coal to gas?

In my sim-city, I made the switch in 1943...

It's almost 2010.... No wonder every major industry publication says were are behind the times...

lol.
frank miller

United States

#2 Oct 2, 2009
There is not enough natural gas {methane} to run a 24/7/365 power plant, without Venezuelan gas,
Gulf gas, and Mexican gas; and leave enough for
consumer stove-top/gas fire places/central Winter
heating! There is just as much CO2 from CH4 {methane} as coal! The only advantage is no fly ash residue!
F.M.
frank miller

United States

#3 Oct 3, 2009
Continuation of my #2 post: With practically all
residential, institutional, commercial, industrial, hospital, hotels, and miscellaneous
hot water heaters run on natural gas {methane}
along with the above applications its even more
doubtful that this new converted plant can sustain itself solely on natural gas 24/7/365
a year! Now if some of the stack carbon dioxide
could be catalyticaly recirculated by reducing to carbon monoxide {CO}, and somehow reduce that
further to carbon, and hydrogen to reform into
some methane {CH4}, or other combustible homolo-
gues, and burnt along with some coal, with brand
new modern state-of the-art tall stack clean-up
retrofitted with clean EPA emissions limits
modules, while a new 75 coal/25 CH4 plant is being rebuilt, it may be long-term self sustainable!
F.M.

BHOsux

Denver, CO

#4 Oct 3, 2009
This ought to drive the price of natural gas up so noone can afford it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Progress Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Progress seeks rate hikes; New Bern electric co... (Feb '13) Feb '13 ann sorocki 1
News Power companies want to pay less for solar energy (Dec '12) Dec '12 Solarman 2
News Feds launch special inspection at Shearon Harri... (May '12) May '12 Charles 1
Is this a power line hazard? (Apr '12) Apr '12 Howard 2
News SC, NC Regulators OK Duke-Progress Merger Accord (Sep '11) Sep '11 DENO 1
News Progress Energy aiming for 96% restoration by m... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rhu 1
News Crews from around the nation help to get power ... (Aug '11) Aug '11 marinda lewis get... 1
More from around the web