Progress Energy may build nuclear plant in Levy County

Full story: WSVN-TV Miami Beach

Progress Energy Florida says it may build a nuclear power plant in Levy County a few miles north of its existing Crystal River plant.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Jun 27, 2009
John Salmeier

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2006

So long as the people who will have this hazard in our back yards receive the benefit of lower than average energy cost, no problem. If not move it to downtown MIAMI, TAMPA or ORLANDO.
John

Middletown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2006

If your hazard is nuclear instead of a coal power plant your hazard is much to be preferred. A coal plant emmisions are orders of magnitude more hazardous. Harvard School of Public Health found that emmisions from coal plants cause 15,000 premature deaths in the USA anually. Living near a coal plant also means that you will receive 100 times more radiation than living near a nuclear plant. That's right Uranium comes out of the stack. The energy in the fissionable material from coal smoke is greater than the energy released in burning the coal. No one has died prematurely from a nuclear power plant in the USA. Nuclear is by far the safest form of energy.
still john

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2009

Grew up in the shadow of the Zion Nuclear Power Station, which had one of the worst safety records in the USA(if not the world). It had to shut down due to it's technicians (human) errors.

We already have one nuclear plant in the area why add another to bail out Gainesvile, Miami, Tampa, or Talahassee? They want the power, but don't want the risk in "thier" backyard.
Truth monger

Waldo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

does anyone know about the huge amounts of money that was spent to test out the concept to make the power plants completely safe and much lower cost? I saw a special on discovery are learning channel years ago about the concept that instead of having Water cooled that they simply spread the rods so far apart and then they use a liquid that allows the nuclear reaction if there was a problem the Liquid would evaporate off and the reaction immediately stopped. They made a real miniature mockup of it in Alaska I think it was and as soon as it was completely successful proved it worked very efficiently and very well they shutit down Never to be heard of again and not to be used because Congress decreed that no more funds can be spent towards it and therefore was a failure. Go figure. They also came up with a way to make use of the spent fuel by converting it into something else that was harmless. Just for your information there are many forms of free energy devices out there the problem is that there's not enough people willing to get off their donkeys and do something about it. Well I got ago I think there's a soap opera on TV, much more important of course, not! why is it that the sheep continuously blame the wolves for being Wolves and not blaming themselves for continuing to be sheep ? Baaaaa ..not Me !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Progress Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Progress seeks rate hikes; New Bern electric co... (Feb '13) Feb '13 ann sorocki 1
Power companies want to pay less for solar energy (Dec '12) Dec '12 Solarman 2
Feds launch special inspection at Shearon Harri... (May '12) May '12 Charles 1
Is this a power line hazard? (Apr '12) Apr '12 Howard 2
SC, NC Regulators OK Duke-Progress Merger Accord (Sep '11) Sep '11 DENO 1
Progress Energy aiming for 96% restoration by m... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rhu 1
Crews from around the nation help to get power ... (Aug '11) Aug '11 marinda lewis get... 1

Search the Progress Energy Forum:
•••