Protesters shut down bank

Protesters shut down bank

There are 81 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Aug 13, 2007, titled Protesters shut down bank. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

An environmental group protesting the fossil fuel industry shut down a downtown bank for about two hours Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Huggable

Asheville, NC

#1 Aug 14, 2007
What a bunch of damn nuts. They should be charged with the cost of all the police time in this situation.
The bank should sue them for any disruption of business, but won't for fear of "bad publicity".
Nut cases.

“Fourth Estate = Fifth Column”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#2 Aug 14, 2007
The goofballs should be exterminated and turned into fertilizer where they would actually do some good.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#3 Aug 14, 2007
".“Bank of America is heavily invested in Massey Energy, which funds a lot of strip mining and mountaintop removal mining sites in southern Appalachia, which is extremely devastating to the communities and the environment,” group media liaison Reagan Richmond said.""

and isn't the Bank of America the ones who help to fund 'illegals' with credit cards and the like? I saw this on this morning news and it looked to me as if APD was ready for a riot.'Intimidation' is more the word.

lokel

Weaverville, NC

#4 Aug 14, 2007
No, the protesters did not shut down the bank: bank management shut down the bank.

“Fourth Estate = Fifth Column”

Location hidden

#5 Aug 14, 2007
BofA has some flaws, especially the credit card money laundering thing for illegals, but they pay off mortgages on homes owned by cops and firemen killed in the line of duty. Sophie's choice.
Janet

Shreveport, LA

#6 Aug 14, 2007
Before these people shut down Massey, they should live and WORK for at least 5 years in West Virginia. They will see how dependent West Virginians (and almost every other person in this country) are dependent on coal. When they shut down the power plant in NC, they can go back to cooking over a COAL or WOOD fire or burning natural gas to keep warm and have air conditioning. I just don't know where they think they're going with these ideas.
lokel

Weaverville, NC

#7 Aug 14, 2007
So here is the response by the police department to this "peaceful protest," of around 50 protesters:

18 Asheville Police in riot gear.

3 Canine Officers and dogs.

19 "other personnel" from the APD.

and 25 (yes, 25) Police cruisers, used to block Patton Avenue.

43 Officers (including 3 dogs) were necessary to watch over about 50 protesters: that's almost a 1 to 1 ratio!!

Tim Splain,(spokesperson for the APD), said they wanted to make sure no one was injured or that traffic wasn't blocked by the protesters!

Yet, the 25 police cruisers certainly blocked traffic!

Typical over reaction by the APD.
earthtrekker

United States

#8 Aug 14, 2007
lokel wrote:
So here is the response by the police department to this "peaceful protest," of around 50 protesters:
43 Officers (including 3 dogs) were necessary to watch over about 50 protesters: that's almost a 1 to 1 ratio!!
Tim Splain,(spokesperson for the APD), said they wanted to make sure no one was injured or that traffic wasn't blocked by the protesters!
Yeah, I watched the video. All the police in the protective gear looked scary. Asheville is a small town. No need to act like big city cops.
David C

Casar, NC

#9 Aug 14, 2007
And these idiots wonder why they are called the "loony left".

These st-ooo-ooo-ooo-pid people have
made "environmentalism" a complete joke and have done way more harm than good.

PS

throwing objects at bank tellers IS NOT free speech
it's assault & battery.

If I were a judge, I'd give them the maximunm sentence for assault & battery

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Leicester

#10 Aug 14, 2007
retiredlawman wrote:
BofA has some flaws, especially the credit card money laundering thing for illegals, but they pay off mortgages on homes owned by cops and firemen killed in the line of duty. Sophie's choice.
Yes, they do pay off mortgages for those killed in the line of duty, but they give all credit earned for that away by not requiring ss#s for credit cards for illegals. Doesnt make them a good bank.

However, that is still no reason for someone to accost their hourly tellers just doing their jobs.
David C

Casar, NC

#11 Aug 14, 2007
This evening, I am going to exercise my "free speech rights" and protest these idiots,
by grilling chicken over a bed of charcoal when I get home tonight.

That's right, I'm gonna eat meat cooked by charcoal.

Using liberal logic, it's called "free speech"

TurnThePage

Medina, OH

#12 Aug 14, 2007
Huggable wrote:
What a bunch of damn nuts. They should be charged with the cost of all the police time in this situation.
The bank should sue them for any disruption of business, but won't for fear of "bad publicity".
Nut cases.
Perhaps Bank of America should be charged with the cost of the environmental and community destruction caused by mountaintop removal coal mining. Currently the costs for this destruction is externalized onto some of the the poorest communities in Appalachian region. Who pays for the flooding that occurs off of these sites due to the moonscape that's left behind and watershed destruction? Who pays for the contaminated wells due to water table disruption and abandoned mine coal sludge injection? Who pays for the changes occurring to global climate and the consequences? It's not the coal companies and it's not their financial backers. They are taking their profits out of the region and leaving behind a crumbling infrastructure, a destroyed environment and broken communities and accelerating the path to the climate crisis tipping point.
What is truly nuts is that America is allowing this to happen. Not addressing these issues is cowardly. I applaud those who have the courage to learn and take a stand.
Anti everything

Casar, NC

#13 Aug 14, 2007
I say let them act that way. The way they acted and dressed, the way they cursed throwing the f bomb around, throwing coal at the tellers who are just trying to make a living.That people is your liberal Democrats in action. Who in the bowls of hell other than fellow kooks could take those loses serious.
lee

York, SC

#14 Aug 14, 2007
lokel wrote:
No, the protesters did not shut down the bank: bank management shut down the bank.
I wasn't able to get in the bank during my break THANK YOU, YOU @&*!%@ idiots! A**HOLES!

Since: May 07

West Carolina

#15 Aug 14, 2007
lokel wrote:
When is throwing things at tellers peaceful? Officers responding to a disturbance at a bank. Of course the Police being psychic know it’s only a "peaceful protest" and not a bank robbery. The Canaries looked more like Ducks to me.

“"We have come too far, ”

Corinth, Texas

#16 Aug 14, 2007
As I said yesterday: nutzoids with too much time on their hands and too little sense to do much else. And to think they breed and vote.
OUTSPOKEN

United States

#17 Aug 14, 2007
I do not understand where the protesters go the time to protest. Does anyone know?
Why do tax payers put up with such foolishness - tax payers had to pay - police was taken from other duties - peoples every day activity was disrupted.
LOOSER - YOU AND I - THE TAX PAYER
Fletcherite

Mitchell, GA

#18 Aug 14, 2007
I support protesting and environmentalism in the right situations in the right manner. But my question is why choose Bank of America locally to protest? Perhaps Bank of America corporate headquarters might be a more logical choice as opposed to disrupting the workplace of local people. I don't think bank tellers are calling the shots for the robber barons of America as far as I know. If Michael Moore was going to protest the policies of Walmart, I doubt he would do it in Asheville, North Carolina. People need to be more aware of all environmental concerns, but I'm not sure this was the way to do it based upon some of the reports I have heard. I don't think I agree with how it was handled by the protestors or the police. Just food for thought ...
Jack Johnson

Casar, NC

#19 Aug 14, 2007
Even if these kooks had a good cause to protest they lost me with the way they acted. Stupid people playing their part to the tee.

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Leicester

#20 Aug 14, 2007
Jack Johnson wrote:
Even if these kooks had a good cause to protest they lost me with the way they acted. Stupid people playing their part to the tee.
I will agree with you, on this. You can act civil and get your point across much better than acting like a fool and then becoming a laughing stock.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Progress Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Progress seeks rate hikes; New Bern electric co... (Feb '13) Feb '13 ann sorocki 1
News Power companies want to pay less for solar energy (Dec '12) Dec '12 Solarman 2
News Feds launch special inspection at Shearon Harri... (May '12) May '12 Charles 1
Is this a power line hazard? (Apr '12) Apr '12 Howard 2
News SC, NC Regulators OK Duke-Progress Merger Accord (Sep '11) Sep '11 DENO 1
News Progress Energy aiming for 96% restoration by m... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rhu 1
News Crews from around the nation help to get power ... (Aug '11) Aug '11 marinda lewis get... 1
More from around the web