Authorities ready for protests at Pro...

Authorities ready for protests at Progress plant

There are 23 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Aug 13, 2007, titled Authorities ready for protests at Progress plant. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Local law enforcement agencies are stationed at Progress Energy's Skyland plant in anticipation of possible protests there today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lokel

Weaverville, NC

#1 Aug 13, 2007
Quick get deputy Brian Scarborough out there to make some arrests!

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#2 Aug 13, 2007
Sounds like another group of nutzoids with nothing better to do. Shut it down for a few days and let these nuts sweat it out without AC, TV, Internet and other convinces and then see if they are interested in moving back to the cave days. Or perhaps offer them a nice clean nuke plant as an alternative to fossil fuels. The same nuts would be Johnny- on- the spot to protest that as well. For the most part these folks don't know what they outside of wanting attention.
Ben

Asheville, NC

#3 Aug 13, 2007
Two weeks ago hippies protested at a nuclear power plant in Tennessee. This week, hippies will protest at Skyland's coal plant. Since hippies do not like dams, how do they expect people to generate electricity? Wind farms and solar panels alone are not capable of powering America.

Just a FYI...the Skyland coal plant is one of the cleanest facilities around. It is hardly a worthwhile target for protests. Instead, hippies should go to the factories of Ohio, Indiana, Illinios, and Michigan, since they contribute far more pollution to the NC air.
Dumb Redneck

Greensboro, NC

#4 Aug 13, 2007
Wind mill farms have proven dangerous to migratory birds who unknowingly fly into harms way.
jcreek

United States

#5 Aug 13, 2007
Hippies? Many of these who protest are older senior citizens like myself who should be respected not nutzoids.
Jaybird

Lyman, SC

#6 Aug 13, 2007
jcreek wrote:
Hippies? Many of these who protest are older senior citizens like myself who should be respected not nutzoids.
jcreek-Thanks for your efforts and i do indeed hold a tremendous amount of respect for folks like you who have the gumption to get out there and speak up. Otherwise, this country would indeed be left behind the rest of the world...or, as a previous poster said, left in the 'cave' days.

if you're looking for intelligent discourse and respectful discussions consisting of ideas and opinions, the folks on this forum are not capable of such exchanges. But if you're looking for name-calling, mud-slinging, and knee-jerk reactions you've come to the right place (also try a McDonald's play area).

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#7 Aug 13, 2007
I am considered a senior citizen as well but have better things to do than to protest a power facility and damn better sense as well. Want to protest something. Protest why the dang Congress sits on their butts and does nothing in the way of finding more energy sources in this country rather than finger pointing, posturing and running for re-election from the time they get elected until next election ad nausem.

For the past 35 plus years Congress has done little or nothing except to cave into nutzoid groups like those protesting , and no new refineries have been built, no new sources of energy have been worked out, such as clean, safe nuke power plants etc etc etc. I can think of a heck of a lot more important things than to waste time at a power plant that depends on fossil fuels , which actually as one writer stated is cleaner than most.. You go stand in the heat like a dummy and suffer heat exhaustion. Dang, you'd think as old as you are, you'd have better sense. Now if you will excuse me I will go outside and enjoy myself in a solar power heated spa. Yep, installed it last week and it sure helps the pain and stiffness. Got to get that in before the temp hits the 90's which by the way is the coolest it's been in Texas in ages.
power

United States

#8 Aug 13, 2007
Jaybird wrote:
<quoted text>
jcreek-Thanks for your efforts and i do indeed hold a tremendous amount of respect for folks like you who have the gumption to get out there and speak up. Otherwise, this country would indeed be left behind the rest of the world...or, as a previous poster said, left in the 'cave' days.
if you're looking for intelligent discourse and respectful discussions consisting of ideas and opinions, the folks on this forum are not capable of such exchanges. But if you're looking for name-calling, mud-slinging, and knee-jerk reactions you've come to the right place (also try a McDonald's play area).
and if you are looking for "intelligent discourse and respectful discussions consisting of ideas and opinions" don't go to the convergence. they state that they have a NO-COMPROMISE philosophy. which is worse???????
Dan Coates

Sanford, FL

#9 Aug 13, 2007
The oil companies closed a lot of refinery's, their purpose, greed! It is a tool used to jack up the price of gas, "we can't produce/refine" what is needed. What they want is a government handout to build a new refinery and exemption from regulation. If people really want to see pollution, go to Sheng Yang, China, their industrial capitol, now there is some polution, but, you can't protest. Protest is good for America, keeps the spotlight on politicians but sometimes is misguided. We should invest more in hydro-electric power, provisions can be made for fish to get around the dams, that was done for salmon in some area, then there is geo-thermal energy, just got to dig a little but the cool air, about 55 degrees, can replace air conditioning, just need fan power to move the air. Better still are underground homes, properly designed, take little to heat and cool is always there. You can park or grow veggies on top! All people, including Ticker have agenda, his just seems to be attacking anyone that doesn't go along with his viewpoint, sort of an old codger with an attitude. Can't accept that others might know better. The nutzoids are the ones that are "loyal bushies" and support corporate lobbying at the expense of the American citizens. Nuclear Power? Now, that is a dangerous, expensive way to produce energy!

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#10 Aug 13, 2007
Hey jaybird, I beleive I offered several good suggestions. Where is your input or are you too busy policing the playground at Mickey D's.

Maybe you can go out and tell the nutzoids how to have a conversation. I believe power stated their plan, NO-COMPROMISE . Maybe when you get through policing the playground you will have time explain to them how things should work since you seem to be wanting to tell everyone on this forum how to do so.

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#11 Aug 13, 2007
Hey Coates how about some facts to go along with your statements on Nukes. Start up cost are high, yes but overall operational expenses are cheaper. Now try again. Oh and you won't find your facts in fiction like Iron Gate but nice try anyhow.
Jason

Asheville, NC

#12 Aug 13, 2007
jcreek wrote:
Hippies? Many of these who protest are older senior citizens like myself who should be respected not nutzoids.
The hippy can come in all shapes and sizes. Do not let one's age fool you into thinking that they do not smoke and smell bad.
Anti everything

Casar, NC

#13 Aug 13, 2007
jcreek wrote:
Hippies? Many of these who protest are older senior citizens like myself who should be respected not nutzoids.
Cancel your power service and turn off that computer nutzoid.
Dumb Redneck

Greensboro, NC

#14 Aug 13, 2007
Drill the arctic refuge, don't wait, drill that refuge now.

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Since: Feb 07

Leicester

#15 Aug 13, 2007
Anti everything wrote:
<quoted text>
Cancel your power service and turn off that computer nutzoid.
LOL. Wont bother me at all...but this is out there as far as Im concerned. How about protests at the ugly development out here in Leicester? I would drive down the road in my airconditioned vehicle to see that. Leave Progress Energy alone. They have a lot of good people working for them. And its hot, maybe these crazies wont suffer too long.
Dan Coates

Sanford, FL

#16 Aug 13, 2007
"Operational costs are cheaper"? What are you drinking today? Nuclear energy is the source that keeps on giving and giving and never goes away. How much does it cost to store and transport the spent fuel rods? Costs keep rising! Nuclear energy is not cheaper than other forms, that is just one of your pipe dreams!

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#17 Aug 13, 2007
Coates you are still reading fiction and trying to pass things off as fact. You evidently forgot the recent discussion on this forum where you brought up the same lame comment and it was shot down and trampled. Spent fuels can be used and that cuts down on storage.There was more but I have not found it yet. You could but then I doubt if you wish to be shot down in flames once again. I believe there were some folks with much greater knowledge than you on the subject who pretty much showed the safety as well as cost benefits in the long run. I suggest you do some reading Coates other than Iron Gate and other such fiction and believing it to be factual.
Jaybird

Lyman, SC

#18 Aug 13, 2007
power wrote:
<quoted text>
and if you are looking for "intelligent discourse and respectful discussions consisting of ideas and opinions" don't go to the convergence. they state that they have a NO-COMPROMISE philosophy. which is worse???????
Power: Excellent point!! But i still contend that folks on this forum can't get past what others (conservative or liberal) feed them. It's easy to spew conventional wisdom and not take other's ideas and opinions into account.
Pooter

Morganton, NC

#19 Aug 13, 2007
Dan Coates wrote:
The oil companies closed a lot of refinery's, their purpose, greed! It is a tool used to jack up the price of gas, "we can't produce/refine" what is needed. What they want is a government handout to build a new refinery and exemption from regulation. If people really want to see pollution, go to Sheng Yang, China, their industrial capitol, now there is some polution, but, you can't protest. Protest is good for America, keeps the spotlight on politicians but sometimes is misguided. We should invest more in hydro-electric power, provisions can be made for fish to get around the dams, that was done for salmon in some area, then there is geo-thermal energy, just got to dig a little but the cool air, about 55 degrees, can replace air conditioning, just need fan power to move the air. Better still are underground homes, properly designed, take little to heat and cool is always there. You can park or grow veggies on top! All people, including Ticker have agenda, his just seems to be attacking anyone that doesn't go along with his viewpoint, sort of an old codger with an attitude. Can't accept that others might know better. The nutzoids are the ones that are "loyal bushies" and support corporate lobbying at the expense of the American citizens. Nuclear Power? Now, that is a dangerous, expensive way to produce energy!
Nah, bud, they closed and refused new refineries because they were DIMwitted...oh yeah, they were democrackkks...they were the ones who outlawed new refineries!!!
Jaybird

Lyman, SC

#20 Aug 13, 2007
Ticker wrote:
Hey jaybird, I beleive I offered several good suggestions. Where is your input or are you too busy policing the playground at Mickey D's.
Maybe you can go out and tell the nutzoids how to have a conversation. I believe power stated their plan, NO-COMPROMISE . Maybe when you get through policing the playground you will have time explain to them how things should work since you seem to be wanting to tell everyone on this forum how to do so.
Dang, Ticker. I've got a day job. I can't spend hours on this forum responding to comments such as yours...i read your above 'good suggestions' but i can't seem to tease the suggestions out of the rest of stuff you wrote. You said to protest the congress (do you do that by voting?? Participating on this forum by name-calling and spewing rhetoric?). Just what are the suggestions (less the extraneous nutzoid comments). Seriously, what are you doing to solve the energy problem??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Progress Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Progress seeks rate hikes; New Bern electric co... (Feb '13) Feb '13 ann sorocki 1
News Power companies want to pay less for solar energy (Dec '12) Dec '12 Solarman 2
News Feds launch special inspection at Shearon Harri... (May '12) May '12 Charles 1
Is this a power line hazard? (Apr '12) Apr '12 Howard 2
News SC, NC Regulators OK Duke-Progress Merger Accord (Sep '11) Sep '11 DENO 1
News Progress Energy aiming for 96% restoration by m... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rhu 1
News Crews from around the nation help to get power ... (Aug '11) Aug '11 marinda lewis get... 1
More from around the web