Woodfin nixes power plant

A town board early this morning voted down a proposal by Progress Energy to build a $72 million power plant in Woodfin. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

Asheville, NC

#1 Apr 3, 2007
I'm sure the fact that Reynold's mountain lost a sale or two and another development would probably be cancelled played heavily into this decision.
wnc resident for peace

United States

#2 Apr 3, 2007
Excellent news!!

Poor Reynolds (raper of the mountain - not)

Peace.
Friendly neighbor

Wellford, SC

#3 Apr 3, 2007
I feel so sorry for Mr. Maxwell.

Thanks to all of the volunteers and organizers who helped make this vote happen.
However, let's not forget that Progress is still the big, bad guy. They'll be back, and they'll keep spewing ugliness from the Skyland plant.

As for the new developments, let's work to cancel those, too.

The common denominator for the developers and Progress is outside investment, outside profit. All of the burden (pollution, traffic congestion, change of lifestyle) is externalized onto us with little local benefit.

Let's make real progress and put people before profit. The people of Woodfin, Asheville, and Buncombe County before greed and manipulation.

Hey, Progress. See you in court?????
Mtnbred

Redmond, WA

#4 Apr 3, 2007
Hey, perhaps Woodfin should be the county seat INSTEAD of Asheville---at least they listen to their people
A Neighbor

Manteo, NC

#5 Apr 3, 2007
Yea for Woodfin. They had the wisdom to hear their residents. It's a new day!
Dionysis

Greenville, SC

#6 Apr 3, 2007
Well done, citizens of Woodfin.

Since: Mar 07

Asheville

#7 Apr 3, 2007
Congratulations to the people of Woodfin for standing up to Progress Energy and the Buncombe County Commisioners and protecting your town and our county. Props to Mountain Voices Alliance, Canary Coalition and others for so effectively leading the campaign against this plant.

Now it's back to the drawing board for Progress. This time let us hope that they develop a more creative, rational and sustainable strategy for meeting power demands in Buncombe. Think green!
gingerbread

Candler, NC

#8 Apr 3, 2007
i was at the meeting last night and this morning and anyone who was there could tell you that it was developers that stopped this power plant so before all you anti-growth folks start spewing more faux-environmentalism about "land raping" you might just want to shut up and say thanks to the development community...thanks Woodfin and thank you reynolds Mountain and the River Bluffs and Altura developments for stopping the plant.
Bobbie

AOL

#9 Apr 3, 2007
Has the town of Woodfin and it residents who don't want the power plant decided how they will get the much needed electric energy for all the houses being built in Woodfin? If the town wants to expand to the point I am hearing about then they should want a way to supply power to the additional residents. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I know Woodfin has always been the black sheep of Buncombe County but building houses on the side of mountains or on the banks of a river that is prone to flooding is not a way to improve.
Alpha and Omega

Greensboro, NC

#10 Apr 3, 2007
NC has the biggest smoking epidemic in the country and people are concerned about pollution from an oil burning powerplant? I can only hope that the proposed smoking ban gets passed in this state. That's by far the quickest quality of life improvement we can enjoy and it will reduce the number of poor chaps with cancer. And you know Progress will be "throwing the switch" with some rolling brownouts to bolster support for this new project. Get ready for an interesting summer!
ron

Spartanburg, SC

#11 Apr 3, 2007
Nice to see the people win one for a change! Let's hope the courts don't ignore the will of the people of the area. However, one always has to watch out for corporate chicanery in the courtroom.
Dunnin

Henderson, NC

#12 Apr 3, 2007
While I dont think a power plant would be wanted in my neighborhood, I dont think Progress Energy is inherently evil, either. And when those power bills start going up and up and up, and the common working person thinks they are going to go broke paying for them, remember, PE just puts out a product, and noone wants them anywhere.
reddy kilowatt

Weaverville, NC

#13 Apr 3, 2007
where will you be when the lites go owt?
in the dark!
smith

Sylva, NC

#14 Apr 3, 2007
somebody is going to have to explain to me why this power plant would have such economic impact. The power plant at skyland is close to Biltimore Park and it does not seem to matter to those people that the power plant is there. I guess who is there first wins. Anyway I don't have to worry about my electricity. Everytime I flip the switch my lights come on.
Kilgore

Asheville, NC

#15 Apr 3, 2007
Friendly neighbor wrote:
However, let's not forget that Progress is still the big, bad guy. They'll be back, and they'll keep spewing ugliness from the Skyland plant.
I wasn't a big fan of the power plant plans in Woodfin, but lets not get carried away. Progress has added new technology at the Skyland plant that has had significant reductions in NOX and SO2, and they began work on this before the Clean Smokestacks bill was passed (which they helped work on with the state). Right now, a coal fired plant is a necessary evil until we can come up with an inexpensive and cleaner alternative. Until then, everyone can do their part by conserving their own energy use.
John

United States

#16 Apr 3, 2007
I 've read the article and I realize that some comments can be taken out of context, however, to conclude that property values will go down if this power plant is built is very disingenuous. Do you think the properties at Biltmore Park have decreased or increased? The grand view from the million dollar homes out there is the first FGD scrubber built in NC. The reason property values will stagnate in Woodfin is because they treat sewage there and they have a landfill. The environmental lobby stirred up a tempest in a teapot and won again. The bottom line is Progress Energy isn't the bad guy here and Professor Kask was way off with her remarks. She knows why. To the residents of Woodfin, who are you going to blame now for the decrease in your property values?;
maybe the guy who puts in the trailer park next to you.
Blueberry

United States

#17 Apr 3, 2007
Business
Nation's largest health insurer ties employee bonuses to health of its members
by Tom Murphy, Associated Press Writer
updated April 3, 2007 8:04 am

Progress Energy will continue to try and build more fossil fuel power plants until they do what Wellpoint Health Insurance did and that is tie their employees' performance bonuses to measures such as improved air and water quality, increased use of wind and solar energy, decreased electricity demand, etc.
Michele Schrader

AOL

#18 Apr 3, 2007
When I woke up this morning, I thought it was a dream......then the great news was confirmed on TV.
My husband and I wish to thank all the activists who worked so hard on gathering evidences against this project......
Nothing could have been done without their help and....stamina!!
Michelle

Cullowhee, NC

#19 Apr 3, 2007
This is ridiculous! I can't believe Woodfin voted against the power plant yet lets the developers continue to build big houses. Big houses equal more energy use! Duh! Until we can get more renewable and alternative energy on-line, those coal-fired plants are indeed, a necessary evil. We as consumers, are in control of companies like Progress Energy because of the little understood concept of supply and demand. We just don't want to have to lower our 'standard of living' whatever that means. We're entitled to all the energy we want (not need) but we don'
t think we should have to suffer the consequences. There's something fundamentally wrong with our values and culture.
Anne Craig

United States

#20 Apr 3, 2007
This is great news for the people of Woodfin and all of us! It is past time that we consider efficiency, conservation and clean, renewable sources of energy when looking at our energy use. Woodfin's leaders made a wise decision for their community and are an example for the rest of us. Kudos!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Progress Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Progress seeks rate hikes; New Bern electric co... (Feb '13) Feb '13 ann sorocki 1
Power companies want to pay less for solar energy (Dec '12) Dec '12 Solarman 2
Feds launch special inspection at Shearon Harri... (May '12) May '12 Charles 1
Is this a power line hazard? (Apr '12) Apr '12 Howard 2
SC, NC Regulators OK Duke-Progress Merger Accord (Sep '11) Sep '11 DENO 1
Progress Energy aiming for 96% restoration by m... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rhu 1
Crews from around the nation help to get power ... (Aug '11) Aug '11 marinda lewis get... 1
More from around the web