PPL salary: PPL CEO salary

PPL salary: PPL CEO salary

There are 39 comments on the The Morning Call story from Apr 9, 2009, titled PPL salary: PPL CEO salary. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The chairman, president and chief executive of energy and utility holding company PPL Corp.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WOW

Roseland, NJ

#1 Apr 9, 2009
these guys should be treated just like AIG's executives, our rates are going up sky high and they are getting compensated like this, bull ----
Uh Oh

United States

#2 Apr 9, 2009
Oh no! How will he ever pay for the utilities in his mansion that has 7 bathrooms and a heated driveway? He's still raping the customers. Bottom line!
woof

Bethlehem, PA

#3 Apr 9, 2009
How on Earth does anyone deserve to get paid this much? So many people struggling, living from paycheck to paycheck, and then you hear something like this. No wonder our rates are going up!
Patti

Allentown, PA

#4 Apr 9, 2009
The retired and unemployed are struggling to keep their lights and heat on, and this guy is worth that much money? Something is very wrong here.
Casual Observer

Allentown, PA

#5 Apr 9, 2009
If you don't like paying for his salary, have your service disconnected.

Or, call your reps in Harrisburg and ask them why deregulation was such a great idea in 1998? You never saw multi-million dollar compensation packages before deregulation.
amazed

Allentown, PA

#6 Apr 9, 2009
Do the math, Einsteins. If JimM turned down his $5.6mil and returned it to the 1.4 million ppl customers, each customer would receive $4.00. That would be a real big help, wouldn't it?
Drew

Whitehall, PA

#7 Apr 9, 2009
I'm really getting sick of reading all these jealous people whining about how much executives make. Whats pathetic is that you idiots actually believe his salary is a reason rates are higher. Look at PPL's financial reports and look at how much that company is worth. What he makes is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall net income of the company. The problem is you people compare it to your own salary which is significantly less and you think its not fair. You don't look at the financials of the company or the free market to justify his salary. Rather you rely on your own twisted moral fiber and emotions.
Freedom Fighters

Allentown, PA

#8 Apr 9, 2009
Its a monopoly jakazz. Ura POS just like Miller.
Drew wrote:
I'm really getting sick of reading all these jealous people whining about how much executives make. Whats pathetic is that you idiots actually believe his salary is a reason rates are higher. Look at PPL's financial reports and look at how much that company is worth. What he makes is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall net income of the company. The problem is you people compare it to your own salary which is significantly less and you think its not fair. You don't look at the financials of the company or the free market to justify his salary. Rather you rely on your own twisted moral fiber and emotions.
King of Blah

Allentown, PA

#9 Apr 9, 2009
Drew wrote:
AMEN!!!!!
woof wrote:
How on Earth does anyone deserve to get paid this much? So many people struggling, living from paycheck to paycheck, and then you hear something like this. No wonder our rates are going up!
Are you also out there complaining about professional athlete's salaries? Decisions Jim Miller makes effects millions of people. Not something many people could handle.
Freedom Fighters

Allentown, PA

#10 Apr 9, 2009
King of Blah wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN!!!!!
<quoted text>
Are you also out there complaining about professional athlete's salaries? Decisions Jim Miller makes effects millions of people. Not something many people could handle.
How? U R retauded? U should take a trip to the VA hospital how much do soldiers get for having their limbs blown off so Mr. Miller anf Mr. Bush can live THEIR Amreican dream at honest Americans' expense. United States of Corruption fighting for the greedy filthbags of American.
Change

Bethlehem, PA

#11 Apr 9, 2009
Drew wrote:
Well said. Any one of us in here would take his job and compensation if we could. Go out and get a job as CEO or CFO and see how easy it is. I wish I made his money and I am trying to make more every year and it takes hard work. Pissing and moaning on the mcall comments section wont get you there. Do something to change your life!

“BORN TO UNDULATE !!”

Since: Mar 07

Proud resident of the Valley

#12 Apr 9, 2009
Drew wrote:
Free market? Power...PPL...is a free market? Last time I looked the ONLY way I will get the power I need is if I buy it from a locked and captured market owner like PPL. Sure...sure...I can go to an outside company to buy generation you say. But the bulk of the end user cost still goes to PPL for transmission and other costs.

How does PPL further save their financial azz? By laying off a few hundred support workers, thats how. Its all a numbers game. I am just glad a lot of people believe the BS they are spoon fed about PPL.

And then we have other CEO's making millions and millions of dollars...which brings up my next question; if they are sooooo very good at what they do, then why are companies all over the world with million dollar CEO's going belly up? If they are sooooo good at what they do to deserve the millions they are making, why can't they save their precious companies? It is pretty damnn hard not to do a good job over the previous 15 or so years as a CEO when times were good, people were blowing through their money (and borrowed money) like there was no tomorrow...but guess what? It ended. And it ended in a heartbeat. And just in case this was ever to happen...these CEO's thought ahead; golden parachutes and contract bonuses to exersize at any time. How paid? Anyway the CEO can get it.

A CEO is born. We'll see after June this year how many CEO's are left that are any good...and in my opinion...worth the money they are being paid.
Suz

Schnecksville, PA

#13 Apr 9, 2009
Well said! Remember 200 employees @ PPL lost their jobs in Feb/March. Not sure how Miller can sleep at night. I see a great company going to dogs! Before he built his mansion and yes his heated driveway he should have made some effort and yes, maybe give up some of his perks. He would have inspired many people. He should have found a way to keep the employees. Let those who volunteered, retire. So now many many people who spent most of their careers at PPL, are out on the street. I have a very hard time believing electrical usage is down. You know the saying "What goes around, comes around"!
Drew

Whitehall, PA

#14 Apr 9, 2009
Suz wrote:
Well said! Remember 200 employees @ PPL lost their jobs in Feb/March. Not sure how Miller can sleep at night. I see a great company going to dogs! Before he built his mansion and yes his heated driveway he should have made some effort and yes, maybe give up some of his perks. He would have inspired many people. He should have found a way to keep the employees. Let those who volunteered, retire. So now many many people who spent most of their careers at PPL, are out on the street. I have a very hard time believing electrical usage is down. You know the saying "What goes around, comes around"!
Another useless idiot. Mr. Miller could work for nothing and spread what he earns among all those 200 people and they would make a whopping $28K a year.

You people are such hypocrites. As one previous poster stated if you could take his job and earn his salary you know you would.
Drew

Whitehall, PA

#15 Apr 9, 2009
Bar_keep wrote:
<quoted text>
Free market? Power...PPL...is a free market? Last time I looked the ONLY way I will get the power I need is if I buy it from a locked and captured market owner like PPL. Sure...sure...I can go to an outside company to buy generation you say. But the bulk of the end user cost still goes to PPL for transmission and other costs.
How does PPL further save their financial ****? By laying off a few hundred support workers, thats how. Its all a numbers game. I am just glad a lot of people believe the BS they are spoon fed about PPL.
And then we have other CEO's making millions and millions of dollars...which brings up my next question; if they are sooooo very good at what they do, then why are companies all over the world with million dollar CEO's going belly up? If they are sooooo good at what they do to deserve the millions they are making, why can't they save their precious companies? It is pretty damnn hard not to do a good job over the previous 15 or so years as a CEO when times were good, people were blowing through their money (and borrowed money) like there was no tomorrow...but guess what? It ended. And it ended in a heartbeat. And just in case this was ever to happen...these CEO's thought ahead; golden parachutes and contract bonuses to exersize at any time. How paid? Anyway the CEO can get it.
A CEO is born. We'll see after June this year how many CEO's are left that are any good...and in my opinion...worth the money they are being paid.
My reference to free market really meant the individual market of energy and comparing what Jim Miller makes in comparison to other CEOs in the same industry. I should have worded that better, I apologize for the confusion.

Of course the hundreds of workers will be the first to be layed off, their salaries and benefits collectively dwarf Jim Miller's salary alone. Again spreading out 5.6 million over PPL's entire payroll is just not that significant. It looks generous publically but realistically it will hardly make a dent.

I've seen your other posts and many times I agree with you. I am surprised you are getting caught up in the class warfare nonsense.
Vinny A

Allentown, PA

#17 Apr 9, 2009
Let's see. Drop his salary to 1 mil per year (enough for ANYONE)
With 2.6 mil saved, you could save each of their 4 million customers $.50 per year on electric. Now, do this for ALL the top executives at ALL major utilities, hospitals, schools, and corporations in the business of lending money, providing insurance, and generally leeching on the needs of others. Imagine the savings to the average family. Imagine, if people like Paris Hilton didn't exist as bored heiress's just because Daddy got EVERY PENNY he could out of his business.
Big business needs to limit compensation to the CEO's and upper management. How about a $1,000,000/year national salary cap? If you can't live on a million bucks a year, you are just greedy or foolish. NO one is worth that, with the possible exception of talented surgeons.
Vinny A

Allentown, PA

#18 Apr 9, 2009
Drew wrote:
<quoted text>
Another useless idiot. Mr. Miller could work for nothing and spread what he earns among all those 200 people and they would make a whopping $28K a year.
You people are such hypocrites. As one previous poster stated if you could take his job and earn his salary you know you would.
Better 28K per year than NOTHING. Think if ALL the top executives at all the companies limited their compensation. Good jobs for EVERYONE. Less crime, drug abuse, welfare because people would be WORKING. He can afford to lose a few million and so can thousands of executives around the world.
Jester

Macungie, PA

#19 Apr 9, 2009
I'll go get some cheese for all this whine.
Board

Allentown, PA

#20 Apr 9, 2009
How comes we never get the names of the people on the board of directors who approve this nonsense? Start showing up at their houses like the AIG execs.
mc_KiND_Atown

Allentown, PA

#21 Apr 9, 2009
Vinny A wrote:
Let's see. Drop his salary to 1 mil per year (enough for ANYONE)
With 2.6 mil saved, you could save each of their 4 million customers $.50 per year on electric. Now, do this for ALL the top executives at ALL major utilities, hospitals, schools, and corporations in the business of lending money, providing insurance, and generally leeching on the needs of others. Imagine the savings to the average family. Imagine, if people like Paris Hilton didn't exist as bored heiress's just because Daddy got EVERY PENNY he could out of his business.
Big business needs to limit compensation to the CEO's and upper management. How about a $1,000,000/year national salary cap? If you can't live on a million bucks a year, you are just greedy or foolish. NO one is worth that, with the possible exception of talented surgeons.
i agree.. doctors in the european union work off of 1 mil/year in their unified healthcare.. 1 mil a year for a doctor is a little low considering they save lives but they do it because they love their line of work..they dont do it cuz its a job, its a lifestyle for them.. if only americans werent so greedy but wat ya gonna do but complain...

j miller is drivin PPL into the ground.

his salary doesnt effect the rise of rates in 2010. thats just stupid to think.

his stock options is what to be mad about. at least half of his stocks he cashed in before PPL stock even dropped below $50/share.
insider trading?? mish should be investigated but will it?? probably not..

keep on b_-chin n moaning, bottom line..... NOBODY CARES

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PPL Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City lists possible actions on Americus : The M... (Mar '07) Apr '17 silly rabbit 19
News Firefighters Contain East Allentown Blaze (May '08) Sep '16 silly rabbit 2
News PPL Ceo tells shareholders utility is poised fo... (May '15) May '15 logical 1
News PPL nuclear power plant officials detail licens... (Jul '14) Jul '14 BDV 1
News PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Co... (Feb '09) Nov '13 Scranton 181
News Trial begins for businessmen accused of stealin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 silly rabbit 1
News Allentown fire station roof ripped off by Sandy... (Oct '12) Oct '12 silly rabbit 1
More from around the web