PPL Requests Revenue Increase

PPL Requests Revenue Increase

There are 17 comments on the WFMZ story from Mar 31, 2010, titled PPL Requests Revenue Increase. In it, WFMZ reports that:

PPL Electric Utilities asked the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission today to approve a 2.4% increase in the Allentown-based company's total revenues, beginning in 2011.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

Since: Mar 07

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Mar 31, 2010
They're kidding, right?
Bob

Allentown, PA

#2 Mar 31, 2010
PPL needs to add the name Pig to it's corporate name. Recover their investments??? Investments are a risk. sometimes yu win and sometimes you lose. Why should the customers have to cover their risk taking?

Customers are asked to conserve and now the customers are asked to pay for the electric they are not using and PPL even has the gall to admit it.

All PPL cares about are it's executive salaries, whom are not being asked to conserve, and their stockholders. They have absolutely no concern about the thousands of customers that are struggeliong to survive.
Monroe resident

Allentown, PA

#3 Mar 31, 2010
It's amazing how they are asking for a 2.4% increase but customers will see a 5% increase in their bills. Sounds like fuzzy math!
Judi

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Mar 31, 2010
Are you kidding me!!!! Aren't they getting enough with the last increase? Here's a thought PPL, no one needed that stupid soccer stadium you insisted on having - find another way to pay for it! And let me also suggest what you can do with those soccer balls.
Judi

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Mar 31, 2010
what in the heck is wrong with the word balls?
Judi

Bethlehem, PA

#6 Mar 31, 2010
ba11 ba11 ba11
DMHenrie

Orlando, FL

#7 Mar 31, 2010
And I surely would like to ask MY BOSS for a 2.4% raise as well, and he'll trell me what I tell PPL.
Go to #$%@!!
Who are these people ?
Give me a choice and I'll get rid of them as a provider as well.

They have money for a new stupid soccer stadium though, don't they.

PPL EXECS !! LISTEN
That's you burning down below for burning the rest of us.
PPL Stockholder

Macungie, PA

#8 Mar 31, 2010
Everyone dislikes higher costs, even PPL - when the lights go out because equipment wasn't upgraded, what will we all say then?

p.s.- the soccer stadium has nothing to do with PPL Utilities - do your homework!!
PatnUM

AOL

#9 Mar 31, 2010
Please do yourself a huge favor and go just a little deeper with your questions....in any other year, this rate increase request may not be as painful, as businesses costs increase every year...any increase should be justified by actual inbcrease in costs....but when was the last time you even noticed a large increase in your electric usage and bill....this particularly request happens to be following the 34% increase most of us gulped and swallowed down in Jan of this year....But why was there such a huge 34% increase...Hint: Price Controls put in place by the state government 10 years ago...Now ask yourself what will happen to your electric bill if any Climate Change / Cap & Tax / Carbon Usage bill is passed by government ????

If you are going to be passionate about your contempt for PPL, you better be equally passionate about your contempt for any attempt by government to control prices.

Since: Apr 09

Allentown

#10 Mar 31, 2010
PPL Stockholder wrote:
Everyone dislikes higher costs, even PPL - when the lights go out because equipment wasn't upgraded, what will we all say then?
p.s.- the soccer stadium has nothing to do with PPL Utilities - do your homework!!
Go to hell you greedy degenerate pig.
Elliot

Macungie, PA

#11 Mar 31, 2010
I would love to pay more money AS SOON AS my social security increases and my husband's pension goes up and the cost of gasoline decreases as well as food . I really don't think I have anything left !
No , I don't go on vacation , drink , or go to movies . I exist day to day and IT IS TIME FOR ALL OF CORPORATE AMERICA AND EVERY GOVERNMENT AGENCY AND EACH SCHOOL DISTRICT to make do with what you have . The limit of give me has exceeded the reality that 95% of us endure each day .
I pay to fix my plumbing , peeling paint , medical bills , and replace burnt out light bulbs - there is NO ONE I CAN send these expenses to .
GROW-UP , PPL and deal with what you have . Just think , if you wouldn't HAVE spent SO MUCH MONEY removing the & from your logo and had invested that money - there would be money in your cookie jar !
Solarman

Palm Desert, CA

#13 Mar 31, 2010
DMHenrie wrote:
And I surely would like to ask MY BOSS for a 2.4% raise as well, and he'll trell me what I tell PPL.
Go to #$%@!!
Who are these people ?
Give me a choice and I'll get rid of them as a provider as well.
They have money for a new stupid soccer stadium though, don't they.
PPL EXECS !! LISTEN
That's you burning down below for burning the rest of us.
A choice you do have: www.dsireusa.org click on your particular State of the union and see what programs are available to you.
Common Sense

United States

#14 Apr 1, 2010
PatnUM wrote:
Please do yourself a huge favor and go just a little deeper with your questions....in any other year, this rate increase request may not be as painful, as businesses costs increase every year...any increase should be justified by actual inbcrease in costs....but when was the last time you even noticed a large increase in your electric usage and bill....this particularly request happens to be following the 34% increase most of us gulped and swallowed down in Jan of this year....But why was there such a huge 34% increase...Hint: Price Controls put in place by the state government 10 years ago...Now ask yourself what will happen to your electric bill if any Climate Change / Cap & Tax / Carbon Usage bill is passed by government ????
If you are going to be passionate about your contempt for PPL, you better be equally passionate about your contempt for any attempt by government to control prices.
I'm not quite sure what your point is - I am (and I suspect a lot of other people are) against this increase and also against the bogus cap & trade bill, which will also increase rates. What do the two have to do with each other?

You can throw out whatever explanation you want, but the fact is that the power generation side of PPL is making 30% more for it's product than it was last year. The company wasn't exactly going poor at the old rates, and has to be flush with money at the current rates. This windfall also can't be explained away by electric choice - the large majority of customers are still with PPL (due to simple inertia - people don't want to take the time to investigate their options), and more would have stayed there if PPL would have chosen to compete with the other power generation companies instead of grabbing everything they could get.

Yes, they are prohibited by law from moving money between the distribution and the generation sides of the company, but all that effects are the supporting numbers on their balance sheet. The bottom line commingles everything anyway!
Common Sense

United States

#15 Apr 1, 2010
Elliot wrote:
I would love to pay more money AS SOON AS my social security increases and my husband's pension goes up and the cost of gasoline decreases as well as food . I really don't think I have anything left !
No , I don't go on vacation , drink , or go to movies . I exist day to day and IT IS TIME FOR ALL OF CORPORATE AMERICA AND EVERY GOVERNMENT AGENCY AND EACH SCHOOL DISTRICT to make do with what you have . The limit of give me has exceeded the reality that 95% of us endure each day .
I pay to fix my plumbing , peeling paint , medical bills , and replace burnt out light bulbs - there is NO ONE I CAN send these expenses to .
GROW-UP , PPL and deal with what you have . Just think , if you wouldn't HAVE spent SO MUCH MONEY removing the & from your logo and had invested that money - there would be money in your cookie jar !
Elliot, you're mostly right and I agree with your conclusion, but you go off the rails a little bit in your post. While I sympathize, the fact that times are hard and your SS and Pension haven't increased isn't, in and of itself, a reason for a private company not to raise it's prices, IF you have a realistic choice not to patronize that company.

Let's start by taking taxes out of the equation, since they are a bit of a different animal. Every level of the government has a responsibility to keep taxes as low as possible, while providing the services that the community feels it needs. Each elected official balances these two goals, and those elected officials that fail to strike the right balance for their community should be voted out of office.

The government also has a responsibility to oversee industries, such as electric, where the market conditions (due to infrastructure requirements, in this case) are such that a company providing a key necessity of life and does not have any competition. In these areas, the government has a responsibility to ensure that the need of the carrier to make a profit is properly balanced with the needs of the consumer to have the service provided at a reasonable price.

The onset of electric GENERATION competition is generally a good thing (in theory)- it takes this component out of the category listed above and allows market forces to set the price for a product. The fact that PPL chose to grab everything it could out of it, however, is a negative. The fact that other carriers are electing to undercut PPL's rates show that this service can be provided more cheaply. PPL has simply made a market decision to get everything it can before customers realize they have other options. Within a couple of years, they will have to begin legitimate competition, and rates should come down (or at least stabilize).

However, this increase goes back to the DISTRIBUTION side, which is still in the government controlled sitaution because there is no competition. In reviewing this increase, the government must consider that PPL, as a whole, is (or should be) flush with cash (see my post above) and that customers are still reeling from a 30% increase earlier this year. Given this situation, the decision by the PUC should be to not permit this rate increase.
PPL Scumbags

United States

#16 Apr 25, 2010
Greedy scum, when will it ever end ? I'm surprised they even have to get approval. Scumbags. Scumbags. Scumbags.
NOT a PPL Stockholder

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Apr 26, 2010
PPL Stockholder wrote:
Everyone dislikes higher costs, even PPL - when the lights go out because equipment wasn't upgraded, what will we all say then?
p.s.- the soccer stadium has nothing to do with PPL Utilities - do your homework!!
Gee, what a shock, a stockholder sticking up for the greedy PPL pigs!! What, they don't have enough money to upgrade equipment, but have $20 million for a stadium sign. Keep drinking that PPL koolaid buddy. PPL used to be a decent company and cared about the community, not just their overly paid execs and their greedy stockholders.

“Learning from others is good.”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#18 Apr 27, 2010
I feel like venting today.

PPL is full of greed. This last increase of 30% is too much. Wasn't the other half dozen increases enough this year ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PPL Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PPL Ceo tells shareholders utility is poised fo... (May '15) May '15 logical 1
News PPL nuclear power plant officials detail licens... (Jul '14) Jul '14 BDV 1
News PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Co... (Feb '09) Nov '13 Scranton 181
News Trial begins for businessmen accused of stealin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 silly rabbit 1
News Allentown fire station roof ripped off by Sandy... (Oct '12) Oct '12 silly rabbit 1
News PPL Holds First Co-Op Community Day - Regional ... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Future not so bright 1
News Power Out In Section Of Allentown - Regional Ne... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Lance Smith - All... 4
More from around the web