Americus owner seeks help in fight : ...

Americus owner seeks help in fight : The Morning Call Online

There are 20 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 9, 2007, titled Americus owner seeks help in fight : The Morning Call Online. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The owner of the Americus Center hotel has asked the state to stop Allentown from turning off water and power to the downtown high-rise. Americus Center Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

pathfinder

Allentown, PA

#1 Mar 9, 2007
Mendelson has proven himself to be nothing more than a slumlord in both Allentown and Philadelphia. Allentown has given him plenty of opportunity to rehabilitate or sell the Americus and he constantly refuse to do either. The city has the right to shut off utilities to this structure if it poses a hazard, as this one does. The recent failure of another purchase attempt shows that Mendelson has no interest in selling, he just wants to prolong things so he can continue to receive payments from the towers installed on the roof of the building.
I am me

United States

#2 Mar 9, 2007
Allentown likes to play the" BIG BULLY". Gee, just the other day I saw the other "SAM SPAGHETTI HOUSE" blighted property still standing. The BIG CITY BULLIES insisted it MUST COME DOWN NOW!!! How long ago was that??? For a city that has claimed poverty, they sure do enough $$$$ for this kind of crap. Lets not pay better wages,health ins,retirement,etc. We need to keep the attorneys working!!

“Cool Logic - Burning Passion”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#3 Mar 9, 2007
Will someone with some brains, logic, and the energy to clear the facts step forward here?

I am getting so tired of "he said, she said, they said" articles poorly and incompletely researched and then hastily written by the MCall's cub reporters. Who to believe here? These articles aren't reporting, they're gossip puff pieces.
Susan

Moorestown, NJ

#4 Mar 9, 2007
The Americus was a beautiful hotel and can be again. We need to ask why the owner of the building will not fix the property and reestablish it as a business or even an apt. bldg and if he cannot afford to redevelope the Americus why doesn't he want to sell it? There are too many people in Allentown that own these wonderful buildings and let them just sit there and rot. Look at the Colonial Theatre...an owner who did not care and the building just sat there and rotted until it was finally torn down many years later. The city is doing what is should be doing which is making an owner of a downtown property responsible. It is time someone in this town does the right thing and make a property owner responsible. The owner of the property and other rotting properties SHAME ON YOU.

Location hidden

#5 Mar 9, 2007
The impression I get, wrongly or rightly from other articles (puff pieces?)is that Mendelson is a nut job. Is that a fiar assessment or not? Reading this paper? How to really know?
col2072

Whitehall, PA

#6 Mar 9, 2007
So the owners have had 5 years to turn The Americus around and still haven't. What's the problem? If your not going to fix up what used to be a beautiful hotel, that held a majority of functions...then sell it.
AllentownLvr

United States

#7 Mar 9, 2007
The mayor BETTER do what he has been threating! Mendelson is a slumlord and the city would do this to any other property owner in the same situation. No matter what the case, Mendelson will sue Allentown. Look at the suits on the Colonial. Come on Allentown, do it! For the sake of saving an historic structure, DO IT. The City has the right to enforce codes, so enforce them. If they've done this to other property owners, the stage has been set.

Come on Mayor, show us you got the you-know-whats to do something where all of the other administrations have failed.

Allentown

#8 Mar 9, 2007
Mendelson has done nothing but let his properties rot since Corporate Plaza collapsed. He has owned the Americus for many years and has done nothing with it. He has done the same with some properties in Philadelphia. Every attempted sale has not been successful because during the negotiations he pulls out. The Americus was a beautiful building and can be so again if it is saved in time. OTherwise it will suffer the same fate as the Colonial Theater, which was another beautiful building.
David-6199

United States

#9 Mar 9, 2007
Something occurred to me that may be true. I have read twice now in posts here that there are towers on the building. I assume that means cell phone and other type of communication towers. Is the city leasing space on one of these towers for their emergency communication systems. Often times a tower has multiple tenants leasing dish, receiver, transmitter, etc. space. Is part of the reason they won't cut off the electricity is because of fear of litigation? OK, no need to answer that.

Staber, I feel your pain in getting the whole story about things. Reminds me of a quote that I will paraphrase and wish I could remember by whom it was said, "imagine all the things we could accomplish in a short amount of time if no one worried about who would get credit for the solution"

No editting done.

“If you can't take the heat....”

Lower Macungie

#10 Mar 9, 2007
Susan wrote:
The Americus was a beautiful hotel and can be again. We need to ask why the owner of the building will not fix the property and reestablish it as a business or even an apt. bldg and if he cannot afford to redevelope the Americus why doesn't he want to sell it? There are too many people in Allentown that own these wonderful buildings and let them just sit there and rot. Look at the Colonial Theatre...an owner who did not care and the building just sat there and rotted until it was finally torn down many years later. The city is doing what is should be doing which is making an owner of a downtown property responsible. It is time someone in this town does the right thing and make a property owner responsible. The owner of the property and other rotting properties SHAME ON YOU.
That Colonial Theater owner was the same jerk that owns the Americus. Just another property purchased then let rot.

Location hidden

#11 Mar 9, 2007
AllentownLvr wrote:
The mayor BETTER do what he has been threating! Mendelson is a slumlord and the city would do this to any other property owner in the same situation. No matter what the case, Mendelson will sue Allentown. Look at the suits on the Colonial. Come on Allentown, do it! For the sake of saving an historic structure, DO IT. The City has the right to enforce codes, so enforce them. If they've done this to other property owners, the stage has been set.
Come on Mayor, show us you got the you-know-whats to do something where all of the other administrations have failed.
Would you not like to see some cajones and well researched positions before the local government (authority?) acting on issues such as these? Shut down Mendelson's paid lap dog lawyers by giving them NO WIGGLE ROOM and steamroll the slum lord, send him packing!

In olden days we'd find Mendelson's head on pike at the entrance to the city. He should be so lucky!

“formerly elizabeth-bunch o' #s”

Since: Mar 07

Allentown

#13 Mar 9, 2007
i do'nt understand what he gets out of owning properties and letting them rot.
Observer

Allentown, PA

#14 Mar 9, 2007
Can we say drugs are a part of this scenario?
klz1234

Etters, PA

#15 Mar 9, 2007
I am me wrote:
Allentown likes to play the" BIG BULLY". Gee, just the other day I saw the other "SAM SPAGHETTI HOUSE" blighted property still standing. The BIG CITY BULLIES insisted it MUST COME DOWN NOW!!! How long ago was that??? For a city that has claimed poverty, they sure do enough $$$$ for this kind of crap. Lets not pay better wages,health ins,retirement,etc. We need to keep the attorneys working!!
It's Sal's Spaghetti House not Sam's and there has been a huge amount of structural steel set in the basement of Sal's to stop the building from collapsing. The building would be on the ground had those provisions not been taken. The city was correct with their structural assessment of Sal's. The city is also working with a developer to renovate the site. I belive construction will is set to start by early summer.
Susan

Moorestown, NJ

#16 Mar 9, 2007
Harvey Wallbanger wrote:
<quoted text>
That Colonial Theater owner was the same jerk that owns the Americus. Just another property purchased then let rot.
Figures....the city should take all the properties this jerk has. And all the properties these slum lords in this town have. When we have people in our town who do not care about the properties and the beauty in alot of these old buildings then all this town will ever get is the scum that is here already.
get it right

Etters, PA

#17 Mar 9, 2007
Mendelson sure spends alot of money on lawyers to keep from doing what he is responsible for. Give him a final ultimatum with a schedule to get it done. First time he doen't meet a mandated deadline (and he is famous for not meeting them), shut it down.) I hope he got the bill for the scaffolding erected around the building. Time for Mendelson to put up or shut up!!
Brent

Grovetown, GA

#18 Mar 12, 2007
Mark Medleson needs to be run out of Allentown on a rail.

He has done nothing to improve the city Instead everything he has touched has turned into a slum.

I miss the Colonial Theater.
Clear

Conshohocken, PA

#19 Dec 12, 2007
Oh Dear
C Ruben

Washington, DC

#20 Jun 22, 2009
This is certainly not a reply to previous comments, but I remember this hotel before it was closed and can imagine how grand it used to be. Its a shame that the property has been so neglected. I am an Allentown native who recently moved to Maryland to pursue a teaching career. I now live in an apartment on the second floor of a circa. 1880's mansion and the case is the same here. I fell in love with the place but the landlord is either running out of money or simply complacent/indifferent. My next move will certainly be to a historic home which I will lovingly restore and care for. Preserve our historic buildings and my home town of Allentown.
ImTiredOf_It

Pottsville, PA

#21 Jun 22, 2009
Yes, this guy needs to lose the Americus and, somehow we need to preserve it. Regarding Allentown, they have completely DESTROYED Hamilton Street. Our old buildings are gone, replaced by big concrete boxes. It's a shame. And look at Muhlenberg Lake. They DESTROYED IT!
I am not exaggerating. Old Allentown was beautiful. Check out some old photos of 7th street, for instance.
For the oldtimers, it is no longer home.
Stop the b_stards from destroying what is left.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PPL Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City lists possible actions on Americus : The M... (Mar '07) Apr '17 silly rabbit 19
News Firefighters Contain East Allentown Blaze (May '08) Sep '16 silly rabbit 2
News PPL Ceo tells shareholders utility is poised fo... (May '15) May '15 logical 1
News PPL nuclear power plant officials detail licens... (Jul '14) Jul '14 BDV 1
News PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Co... (Feb '09) Nov '13 Scranton 181
News Trial begins for businessmen accused of stealin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 silly rabbit 1
News Allentown fire station roof ripped off by Sandy... (Oct '12) Oct '12 silly rabbit 1
More from around the web