For green believers, Turkey Point win...

For green believers, Turkey Point wind turbines cause some internal...

There are 2 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Aug 24, 2010, titled For green believers, Turkey Point wind turbines cause some internal.... In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Paul Kautz Jr. comes to the Lake Clarke area of the Susquehanna River regularly during the summer, sometimes with his boat, and fishes for catfish.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Wilkes Barre, PA

#1 Aug 24, 2010
The article does not mention that the turbines will each be nearly 400 ft. tall. Those are some pretty big structures on one of the area's most treasured vistas. How does this happen after millions of state and private dollars have been pumped in to the area to preserve its scenic integrity?

I see a huge conflict with Lancaster County Solid Waste Management Authority CEO Jim Warner sitting on the board of Susquehanna Gateway Heritage Area and with the Authority pumping that organization $55,000 each year. Wouldn't they otherwise be the organization that is trying to protect the scenic heritage of this area of the Lower Susquehanna? It's a real shame in my eyes.
Wendy Gulliver

Allentown, PA

#2 Aug 26, 2010
The problem with birds of prey is easily resolved. Birds of prey have a longer eye persistence than humans. Because of this, a spinning wind turbine appears as a solid disk to them. When hunting a bird of prey will perch on the highest point in a area, which is often the turbine “disk”, thus killing them. The solution is to mount bird perches on the turbines above the blades. The birds will perch on these rather than the lower blades. This solution has been used with success in many places.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PPL Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PPL Ceo tells shareholders utility is poised fo... May '15 logical 1
News PPL nuclear power plant officials detail licens... (Jul '14) Jul '14 BDV 1
News PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Co... (Feb '09) Nov '13 Scranton 181
News Trial begins for businessmen accused of stealin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 silly rabbit 1
News Allentown fire station roof ripped off by Sandy... (Oct '12) Oct '12 silly rabbit 1
News PPL Holds First Co-Op Community Day - Regional ... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Future not so bright 1
News Power Out In Section Of Allentown - Regional Ne... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Lance Smith - All... 4
More from around the web