PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layof...

PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Corp. of Allentown...

There are 181 comments on the The Morning Call story from Feb 24, 2009, titled PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Corp. of Allentown.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

PPL Corp. of Allentown announced today that it will eliminate about 200 management and staff positions across the company's U.S. operations, about 6 percent of the company's non-union U.S. work force, according ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Not Laid Off

Springtown, PA

#163 Feb 27, 2009
Slim the lineman wrote:
<quoted text>
Step up and try you probably sit behind a desk all day. you wouldn't make a pimple on a lineman behind
Let's see, dig some holes, plant some poles and string some wire, how hard can it be? It certainly isn't brain surgery. And, if all the out-of-shape and over-the-hill linemen can do it, it can't be that tough!
Slim the Linemans wife

Harrisburg, PA

#164 Feb 27, 2009
Not Laid Off wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see, dig some holes, plant some poles and string some wire, how hard can it be? It certainly isn't brain surgery. And, if all the out-of-shape and over-the-hill linemen can do it, it can't be that tough!
Well Mr. Never laid off I would much rather be married to a lineman who is not afraid to get dirty, work long hours, and deal with 12,000 volts of electricty. It takes more than a shovel, poles, and wire to be a lineman. What does it take to sit behind a desk in front of a computer and boss people around to feed your arrogance. I am extemely proud of my husband to have the occupation he has and to say he probably makes more than you and didn't go to college and have the student loans to pay back that you do. We don't stand behind the protection of unions. We vote how we want, say want we want, and don't wait for our boss to pull a string like a bobble head or as you call it management.
silly rabbit

Easton, PA

#165 Feb 28, 2009
outsorce all the work to people that except no future for there families the wave of the future!

DA THIS IS NOT THE AMERICA I KNOW DOC?
Proud JL- 30

Allentown, PA

#166 Feb 28, 2009
Not Laid Off wrote:
<quoted text>
Who ever said it was brain surgery? Management is not brain surgery either.
Almost An Engineer

Allentown, PA

#167 Mar 2, 2009
phils2008 wrote:
When you get your "engineer" backside out in an ice storm, then you can comment on what a lineman needs to know.
Apparently, lineman don't need to know how to be polite, either.
I never said engineers were lineman, or could do their job. They are two different jobs, with different skills and knowledge required.
Do you really disagree?
Almost An Engineer

Allentown, PA

#168 Mar 2, 2009
carelessfills wrote:
<quoted text>
So get your head out of your bun ghole, you dumbt werp.
So you're saying that a lineman can design an iPhone?
I disagree. Show me one that can.
Lineman do great things. The world is a better place because they risk life and limb to keep the power on so we don't freeze to death in the dark. But to say that they need to know what an engineer knows is just not true.
At the end of the day, which would I rather have--my electricity, or an iPhone? Guess what? I don't have an iPhone. The electricity works great, and I'm thankful for it.
The statement that linemen need to know what an engineer knows is ignorant. If you disagree, you're wrong.
Almost An Engineer

Allentown, PA

#169 Mar 2, 2009
Slim the Lineman wrote:
So the next time you see a lineman thank him instead of cursing him you don’t have a clue what we do till you do it.
Slim, I would like to be on the record as saying, "Thank you." Sincerely, from my family to yours, thank you for keeping the lights on.
carelessfills

United States

#170 Mar 2, 2009
Almost An Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying that a lineman can design an iPhone?
Most enginerds couldn't either.
Almost An Engineer

Allentown, PA

#171 Mar 2, 2009
carelessfills wrote:
<quoted text>
Most enginerds couldn't either.
Well, I can't speak for most engineers. Obviously, some of them can--because Apple does sell an iPhone, don't they? Or can you not even agree with that?
carelessfills

United States

#172 Mar 3, 2009
Almost An Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I can't speak for most engineers. Obviously, some of them can--because Apple does sell an iPhone, don't they? Or can you not even agree with that?
Some can and have!!!
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#173 Mar 13, 2009
Just a resident wrote:
Just a few things I happen to know:
1.) The chairman, Jim Miller, is not receiving a bonus. He is getting shares of stock, but not a cash bonus.
2.) New linemen/women do not earn $60.00 an hour. Perhaps, after working for a few years, and at midnight during bad weather on a holiday they will see $60.00 an hour. As far as I'm concerned, good - they earn in it. It is a hard and dangerous job.
3.) The layoffs are happening all over the company, including the Service Center. It was across the board.
4.) PPL did not make their stated earnings. They had to re-state earnings more than once. That created investor jitters and a lack of confidence, which resulted in a selloff of stock and the price to drop. The company has also had to deal with some issues that hurt it financially (water cooling platform). It adds up. Without investor confidence, the company stock with continue to remain low.
5.) The rates haven't gone up yet, everyone. They are schedule to go up. The company announced a 'phase in' plan awhile ago. It makes sense and my wife and I are going to take advantage of it. They also just announced a new deferment plan. It sounded good, too. They are trying to do the right thing.
You know, PPL, just like several other Lehigh Valley corporations, are good corporate citizens. They do a lot to help the people of our community. You wouldn't know it, reading the Morning Call. God forbid they actually publish GOOD things about companies like PPL, KidsPeace, Air Products, Lucent/Agere, Olympus, etc.
Instead, people fixate on the garbage being fed to them by the mcall.
What about their charitable causes? Not just the corporate-level stuff, bu the wonderful things that individual employees do each day?
Soup kitchens, walk-a-thons, United Way, tutoring in local schools, mentoring programs, cleaning parks, contributions to the local libraries, and more. The list goes on.
I guess that "GOOD" and uplifting stories don't sell newspapers.
Management had choices to make.

They've got other areas to cut besides headcount.

@Ex APCI poster -- I know some of those people, too. They treat you better than most companies do, so you're actually lucky.

And they've been bridging people with rule of 80 for a couple of decades, at least.
corruption

Philadelphia, PA

#174 Mar 14, 2009
In general, PPL (monopoly like the old AT&T) workers are overpaid bimbo's who got in through a connection somewhere, and never quit and never get fired. Wow, layoffs. Hmmm. Time to get rid of whomever you don't get along with, maybe ?
RASBUTON

Easton, PA

#175 Mar 15, 2009
yet the city is still catering to PPL by using tax dollars for sucerity and JERKOFFSKY is improving the quality of life in allentown LOL?
Another View

Allentown, PA

#176 Mar 16, 2009
RASBUTON wrote:
yet the city is still catering to PPL by using tax dollars for sucerity
True, true... but all those PPLers pay taxes to Allentown. I think the Allentown occupational privilege tax is $50 or $100. Multiply that by a thousand people or whatever, and you get the idea that Allentown can probably afford an officer in the area for a couple of hours a day to ensure those folks don't continue to get held up at gunpoint just walking from their car to the door and back. We do want jobs in Allentown, right? If the city cannot enforce the rule of law, then PPL will probably pack up and go somewhere else.
Like any other company

High Point, NC

#177 Mar 16, 2009
I just saw a PPL ad for a position they just eliminated. They simply got rid of a more expensive person, to replace that person with a cheaper individual.

Just like any other company. Nothing special about PPL.
RASBUTON

Easton, PA

#178 Mar 17, 2009
Like any other company wrote:
I just saw a PPL ad for a position they just eliminated. They simply got rid of a more expensive person, to replace that person with a cheaper individual.
no not a cheaper person a few to replace oneand than they will have to rehire the same one back after they screw all the one has kept in order!i know this is not economical but it corprate america since the steal done this. is this truely a good move or is this what is helping in the state of the world today. to me this is pure capitalism not a democracy.
Concerned

Kernersville, NC

#179 Mar 17, 2009
Wait until you find out they sold your office building like Mack did....then what?..this is only the beginning !
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#180 Apr 4, 2009
I think PPL will sell itself in about a year.
Scot

Chambersburg, PA

#181 Jan 23, 2012
Kate wrote:
I thought they made a profit last year? Non-union people! Nice...how about laying off some of the lazy, over paid union people? Oh and Miller...you willing to take a cut? Or give back some of your ridiculous bonus...I bet not! Most of the guys at the top are real P words!
The IBEW was established because there was a death rate of one out of every three outside electrical workers, or powerlineman, that engaged in work. It created safety standards that companies were unwilling to address. It has taken a hundred years to get things to the place where they are now. Trust me, we are getting crunched on the labor side of things; more responsibility for the same day. I worked this year during many storms, sleep deprived, out in the mountains and hills by myself trying to get as many customers back in power as I physically could. It is dangerous, exhausting, and unpredictable. Union workers are not not all lazy, just as all non-union or corporate employees aren't.
Hipster Home Boy

Frisco, TX

#182 Jan 24, 2012
Like any other company wrote:

There all doing it. Lower average employee age means lower health care costs and salaries. Usually results in decreased efficiency etc as well. Go figure. It is the rage now. Probably offer courses on it at the brew works.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PPL Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PPL Ceo tells shareholders utility is poised fo... (May '15) May '15 logical 1
News PPL nuclear power plant officials detail licens... (Jul '14) Jul '14 BDV 1
News Trial begins for businessmen accused of stealin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 silly rabbit 1
News Allentown fire station roof ripped off by Sandy... (Oct '12) Oct '12 silly rabbit 1
News PPL Holds First Co-Op Community Day - Regional ... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Future not so bright 1
News Power Out In Section Of Allentown - Regional Ne... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Lance Smith - All... 4
News PPL Chooses 6 Possible Routes For New Power Lin... (Jun '11) Jun '11 My Name 1
More from around the web