PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layof...

PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Corp. of Allentown...

There are 181 comments on the The Morning Call story from Feb 24, 2009, titled PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Corp. of Allentown.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

PPL Corp. of Allentown announced today that it will eliminate about 200 management and staff positions across the company's U.S. operations, about 6 percent of the company's non-union U.S. work force, according ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Wondering

Norristown, PA

#1 Feb 24, 2009
Wow, when that Sacred Cow is laying off, it's getting really scary. How can an electric company be doing badly. I guess most of us are reducing our consumption but I don't remember that ever having this kind of an effect before.
David J Bhaltazhar Esq

AOL

#2 Feb 24, 2009
This is a terrible shame.
Kate

United States

#3 Feb 24, 2009
I thought they made a profit last year? Non-union people! Nice...how about laying off some of the lazy, over paid union people? Oh and Miller...you willing to take a cut? Or give back some of your ridiculous bonus...I bet not! Most of the guys at the top are real P words!
Zot

Lansdale, PA

#5 Feb 24, 2009
No company is immune in this economy.
emjoy

Northumberland, PA

#6 Feb 24, 2009
PPL had world-wide positions?! Why is PPL providing service to Great Britain? 200 people world-wide is not a lot. How is that 6% of the staff? I'm feeling ignorant, which usually happens when someone is trying to run a scam on me.
Human Being

Allentown, PA

#7 Feb 24, 2009
How can a utility with a captive audience be doing so bad with looming rate hikes and records profits that they need to lay off people? It's only since Miller took over. Will he crash the company into the ground single handedly? is he worth the 5 million the board gave him? Stay tuned.
Big Blue Wrecking Crew

Keyport, NJ

#8 Feb 24, 2009
Hopefully PP&L can weather the recession. Next year I doubling my christmas light display and will have it on twice as long.
skeptic

Allentown, PA

#9 Feb 24, 2009
It says they announced they WILL lay off these people... They already DID. They let a whole bunch of people go over the course of the last two days.
Tom

United States

#10 Feb 24, 2009
All they have to do is eliminate: James Miller, chief executive officer and there would be no more need to lay anyone else off.
WOW

Roseland, NJ

#11 Feb 24, 2009
But he will still take his $9,000,000 ever year, who cares about the share holders, let them get hit also, remember people, we are getting that rediculous price increase
Wants to know

Kernersville, NC

#12 Feb 24, 2009
How many people got the axe at the 9th and Hamilton location ?
Wake up

Allentown, PA

#13 Feb 24, 2009
Tom wrote:
All they have to do is eliminate: James Miller, chief executive officer and there would be no more need to lay anyone else off.
He voted himself a $9mil bonus and didn't get it. Now he's upset. He thinks the shareholders are dumb enough to thing that firing people who have been loyal to him will raise the earnings per share. Maybe another company will buy them now.
Wake up

Allentown, PA

#14 Feb 24, 2009
Wants to know wrote:
How many people got the axe at the 9th and Hamilton location ?
200, they are not touching the power plants or service centers. They are only 2 days of 5 into the firings. It's not a lay off since workers will be treated like anyone on the street and not brought back ever.
Do the math

United States

#15 Feb 24, 2009
If PPL got rid of it's top 6 executives and their enormous salaries, the company would have enough money to employ 258 people at $40,000 a year.
YODa

Long Island City, NY

#16 Feb 24, 2009
unions suck. all these people making $60 an hour on line crew...give me a break. I know people that grad from ivy league schools who don't make that. Now some votech grad is making that? There is a problem.It's time to live in the real world. This douche prez needs to take a huge cut, his salary is a driving force to this as well.
jrk

Allentown, PA

#17 Feb 24, 2009
Big Blue Wrecking Crew wrote:
Hopefully PP&L can weather the recession. Next year I doubling my christmas light display and will have it on twice as long.
No you wont because your giants will be in the toilet and you'll be home crying!
Tom Paine

Allentown, PA

#18 Feb 24, 2009
emjoy wrote:
PPL had world-wide positions?! Why is PPL providing service to Great Britain? 200 people world-wide is not a lot. How is that 6% of the staff? I'm feeling ignorant, which usually happens when someone is trying to run a scam on me.
200 employees is 6% of the management workforce
Business as Usual

Allentown, PA

#19 Feb 24, 2009
1. 200 people in the office. No power plants or service centers effected.
2. No union people effected at this time.
3. Miller got no bonus this year.
4. Tom should just shut up. He knows nothing and proves it with every work in his notes.
Um No

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Feb 24, 2009
Wake up wrote:
<quoted text>
200, they are not touching the power plants or service centers. They are only 2 days of 5 into the firings. It's not a lay off since workers will be treated like anyone on the street and not brought back ever.
Actually, they made cuts this week at the service centers. Not everyone getting axed is at 9th & Hamilton.
CoCo

Allentown, PA

#21 Feb 24, 2009
I believe a lot of companies are jumping on the "bad economy" band wagon. This is an excuse to get rid of "unwanted" employees without firing them and without reprecussions of a labor dispute (lawsuit). It is also a way to get employees to take a paycut. Most employees feel, at least I have a job. Companies will take advantage of this opportunity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PPL Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PPL Ceo tells shareholders utility is poised fo... (May '15) May '15 logical 1
News PPL nuclear power plant officials detail licens... (Jul '14) Jul '14 BDV 1
News Trial begins for businessmen accused of stealin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 silly rabbit 1
News Allentown fire station roof ripped off by Sandy... (Oct '12) Oct '12 silly rabbit 1
News PPL Holds First Co-Op Community Day - Regional ... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Future not so bright 1
News Power Out In Section Of Allentown - Regional Ne... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Lance Smith - All... 4
News PPL Chooses 6 Possible Routes For New Power Lin... (Jun '11) Jun '11 My Name 1
More from around the web