PPL plan calls for reduced power usage

PPL plan calls for reduced power usage

There are 66 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jul 9, 2009, titled PPL plan calls for reduced power usage. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

PPL's plans to help its customers reduce the amount of electricity they use are now on file with the Public Utility Commission as required by state law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dennis L Pearson

Allentown, PA

#1 Jul 9, 2009
Government mandated programs are fun ... A lot of times we hear of times in industry at high use times in summer where industry has to turn off as much juice as possible to help a ultitity out ... But to do this in the winter time on the coldest day and at night is nonsense ... That happened in our department where night personnel had to do their jobs completely in the dark and heat coils where turned off exposing pipes to countervailing heats ... The End result - dangerous conditions for employees and pipe crackage ... Because of cracks in the base of a settling tank which heated unfiltered river water coming into our process, I refused to open it and blow down the tank as is required manually from time to time. I did that for my own safety ... I didn't want to become a statistic because of some government administrator who thought it cool that we reduce energy so much by turning off certain processes in what they called planned rolling blackouts
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#2 Jul 9, 2009
Here's an idea -- Send every household 20 energy-efficient bulbs. Problem solved.

Send every household 40, and how much power would the country save?

A lot.
Down this year

Bethlehem, PA

#3 Jul 9, 2009
Electric use has to be down more than 5 or 6% this cool summer. It's July and I know many people who have commented on their non-use of air conditioning. My bills are down 25% from last summer. The point is, this should be considered in the goals stated in the article. Get a cool summer and the goals are easily met. Get an extra-hot summer and goals won't be met. And no mention about alternate energy - where is the wind and solar? What is PPL doing?
Jack Sparrow

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Jul 9, 2009
And where are the incentives or even a recommendation or guidelines for folks to add solar or wind power? PPL could inform their customers how to do this, but no, that wouldn't be profitable, because PPL wants only coal to supply our energy. Where is the leadership there, or in fact, in PA?
Penn Act 129

Macungie, PA

#5 Jul 9, 2009
The PPL plan does have a few sections that promotes alterntatives and renewables but to be honest, they'd rather let the state deal with those programs.
Passing out CFLS is a great first step, dealing with the bad bulb (I have two in my house) that need to be professionally re-cycled due to mercury content is another problem they won't talk about.
Taking a year, hearings, questions, etc. is ridiculous! YoOu should be putting in these programs ASAP, what is to debate? They will tie this up in red tape and drag it out and oh yeah, then charge you $2 a month for the plan? What a deal/business model.
You watch, Power companies are next for Mr. O to go after. Or of course follow the lead of power companies who understand where they need to be on this issue: SCE, PGE, PSEG, Duke, etc. We/PPL are way behind and only doing this because of the PUC and you pay for it... WTF?

“Cool Logic - Burning Passion”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#6 Jul 9, 2009
Jack Sparrow wrote:
And where are the incentives or even a recommendation or guidelines for folks to add solar or wind power? PPL could inform their customers how to do this, but no, that wouldn't be profitable, because PPL wants only coal to supply our energy. Where is the leadership there, or in fact, in PA?
Wind power? Look at the wind maps for the US. Do you see something that the rest of us do not in our immediate area? There are wind mills on a ridge in the Mahanoy City area. They do have their place (look at the wind maps!)around the US. PPL CAN invest in alternate sources of energy. Are you willing to pay for it? TINSTAAFL!!!

Why not do your own research? You are already on the web!

Where We Produce Power
PPL Corporation has significant experience in power plant operation. PPL controls or owns more than 12,000 megawatts of generating capacity in the northeastern and western United States.

Our power plants are low cost, use multiple fuels (coal, natural gas, oil, uranium and water) and are strategically located to provide PPL access to various markets. In addition, PPL develops, owns and operates a varied and growing portfolio of renewable energy projects.

Nuclear
PPL Susquehanna, Berwick, Pa.

Coal
Colstrip, Colstrip, Mont.
Conemaugh, Johnstown, Pa.
J.E. Corette, Billings, Mont.
Keystone, Johnstown, Pa.
PPL Brunner Island, York Haven, Pa.
PPL Montour, Washingtonville, Pa.

Hydro
PPL Holtwood, Holtwood, Pa.
PPL Maine - Hydro
PPL Montana - Hydro
Wallenpaupack, Wallenpaupack, Pa.
Safe Harbor, Conestoga, Pa.

Natural Gas and Oil
Combustion Turbines, Pa.
Lower Mount Bethel Energy, Martins Creek, Pa.
PPL Long Island Power Projects, Long Island, N.Y.
PPL Maine - Wyman, Yarmouth, Maine
PPL Martins Creek, Martins Creek, Pa.
PPL University Park, University Park, III.
PPL Wallingford Energy, Wallingford, Conn.

Location hidden

#7 Jul 9, 2009
Penn Act 129 wrote:
The PPL plan does have a few sections that promotes alterntatives and renewables but to be honest, they'd rather let the state deal with those programs.
Passing out CFLS is a great first step, dealing with the bad bulb (I have two in my house) that need to be professionally re-cycled due to mercury content is another problem they won't talk about.
Taking a year, hearings, questions, etc. is ridiculous! YoOu should be putting in these programs ASAP, what is to debate? They will tie this up in red tape and drag it out and oh yeah, then charge you $2 a month for the plan? What a deal/business model.
You watch, Power companies are next for Mr. O to go after. Or of course follow the lead of power companies who understand where they need to be on this issue: SCE, PGE, PSEG, Duke, etc. We/PPL are way behind and only doing this because of the PUC and you pay for it... WTF?
The state will just tax you! PPL has to go through a process to raise your rates and you know how popular those electric rate increases are. My God! once again! TINSTAAFL!!!

Location hidden

#8 Jul 9, 2009
I investigated replacing all of my outside fluorescent lights (replaced the incandescent ones about five years ago) with equivalently bright LED assemblies. Power saved? Significant. Lighting longevity? High. Cost of a single LED replacement plug in?$95! Where is the payback?
Electric Rate Payer

Easton, PA

#9 Jul 9, 2009
When will these rate increases end? On 1/01/2010 the PA Electric Rate Caps will expire in PPLís service territory. Resident electric will increase 35% and much higher for school districts, hospitals, social services, government agencies, and businesses. Net results household budgets will be hit twice by increase residential electric bill and higher taxes and services caused by higher electric bill from PPLís commercial customers. Higher electric cost for commercial and industrial accounts also put jobs at risk.
The good news is that it may not be to late to slow down these increases. Contact your State Representatives and ask then to support Electric Rate Cap Phase-in including all customer classes.
Um no

Florham Park, NJ

#10 Jul 9, 2009
If only PPL had a website about their alternative energy...

http://www.pplrenewableenergy.com/
Big Weinie

Allentown, PA

#11 Jul 9, 2009
Jack Sparrow wrote:
You have no guarantee that the wind blows enough around here to ever recover your investment and Solar is fine but you will still need to buy power in the fall and winter months.
Big Weinie

Allentown, PA

#12 Jul 9, 2009
StaberDearth wrote:
I investigated replacing all of my outside fluorescent lights (replaced the incandescent ones about five years ago) with equivalently bright LED assemblies. Power saved? Significant. Lighting longevity? High. Cost of a single LED replacement plug in?$95! Where is the payback?
Just like everything else, the price will come down once they find a way of making it cheaper and competition evolves.
Notorious Deuce Dropper

Somerset, NJ

#13 Jul 9, 2009
There is absolutely no reason not to make solar energy affordable NOW. The technology is available and should be a viable option for many. There is no way PPL is going to get behind solar, why would they?
Tom Payne

Allentown, PA

#14 Jul 9, 2009
Notorious Deuce Dropper wrote:
There is absolutely no reason not to make solar energy affordable NOW. The technology is available and should be a viable option for many. There is no way PPL is going to get behind solar, why would they?
Actually there are two reasons,economics and efficiency. Pretty simple.
Common Sense

United States

#15 Jul 9, 2009
StaberDearth wrote:
<quoted text>
The state will just tax you! PPL has to go through a process to raise your rates and you know how popular those electric rate increases are. My God! once again! TINSTAAFL!!!
I'm agreeing with most of your comments, but what's up with TINSTAAFL? I suspect I can translate most of it from context, but I can't seem to get all the letters. I suspect some (like the "f") may be unprintable, but curiosity is getting the best of me!
Tom Payne

Allentown, PA

#16 Jul 9, 2009
Electric Rate Payer wrote:
When will these rate increases end? On 1/01/2010 the PA Electric Rate Caps will expire in PPLís service territory. Resident electric will increase 35% and much higher for school districts, hospitals, social services, government agencies, and businesses. Net results household budgets will be hit twice by increase residential electric bill and higher taxes and services caused by higher electric bill from PPLís commercial customers. Higher electric cost for commercial and industrial accounts also put jobs at risk.
The good news is that it may not be to late to slow down these increases. Contact your State Representatives and ask then to support Electric Rate Cap Phase-in including all customer classes.
When contacting you reps, don't forget to let them know how you feel about cap and trade. This will really hike your rates!
Penn Act 129

Macungie, PA

#17 Jul 9, 2009
Weak... 4 solar projects, 3 are in NJ... 3 Wind projects, 2 in PA, 1 in WVA... rest is all cut out pics you can find on any website.

Where is the link to incentives, how about a solar calculator, helpful links.

Is that site even linked to www.PPL.com . I've clicked on three layers and gave up. Should be on the quick links page. If they are serious about it.

Um no wrote:
If only PPL had a website about their alternative energy...
http://www.pplrenewableenergy.com/
Google it

Macungie, PA

#18 Jul 9, 2009
... it pops right up. F is clean, stands for free.
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm agreeing with most of your comments, but what's up with TINSTAAFL? I suspect I can translate most of it from context, but I can't seem to get all the letters. I suspect some (like the "f") may be unprintable, but curiosity is getting the best of me!
hysterical

United States

#19 Jul 9, 2009
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm agreeing with most of your comments, but what's up with TINSTAAFL?
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
Big Weinie

Allentown, PA

#20 Jul 9, 2009
Penn Act 129 wrote:
Weak... 4 solar projects, 3 are in NJ... 3 Wind projects, 2 in PA, 1 in WVA... rest is all cut out pics you can find on any website.
Where is the link to incentives, how about a solar calculator, helpful links.
Is that site even linked to www.PPL.com . I've clicked on three layers and gave up. Should be on the quick links page. If they are serious about it.
<quoted text>
The high cost to generate a smidge of energy is not a worthy investment for a company. Wait until Act 129 threatens the health of the utilities in PA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PPL Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City lists possible actions on Americus : The M... (Mar '07) Apr '17 silly rabbit 19
News Firefighters Contain East Allentown Blaze (May '08) Sep '16 silly rabbit 2
News PPL Ceo tells shareholders utility is poised fo... (May '15) May '15 logical 1
News PPL nuclear power plant officials detail licens... (Jul '14) Jul '14 BDV 1
News PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Co... (Feb '09) Nov '13 Scranton 181
News Trial begins for businessmen accused of stealin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 silly rabbit 1
News Allentown fire station roof ripped off by Sandy... (Oct '12) Oct '12 silly rabbit 1
More from around the web