'More aggressive' tree trimming raises ire

Q: Can you investigate why someone removed just about all the trees and bushes along Route 33 north near Hecktown Road last year? Shouldn't we be adding more trees and bushes to help the environment in multiple ways, instead of cutting them all down? Debbie Eshbach Bethlehem Township A: Indeed we should, Debbie, in the Warrior's view. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Met Ed

Allentown, PA

#1 May 4, 2009
A couple years ago, and without notice, Met Ed removed a dozen black walnut trees from my lane, AND took the wood. They basically stole hundreds of dollars in wood from me. Par for the course for that company.
Jack

Allentown, PA

#2 May 4, 2009
Met Ed only takes down the good trees that may affect there lines at some point. But the ones that should go, they don't touch. I know of a tree that is broken off and just hanging on by there wires and the won't cut it. Go figure
Matt

Allentown, PA

#3 May 4, 2009
Pensylvania has worse roads than many developing countries..not to mention their inability to clear the snow off of them during the winter.. Yea, I'm jaded, but lets see which PennDot official's brother-in-law owns a tree-trimmming company..
Not Surprised

Sellersville, PA

#4 May 4, 2009
It's not just the highways! They went down our road for the last 3 years trimming the trees around the power lines. Each year they butcher our trees more - they don't just trim - they remove 3/4 of your damn tree!!!

When we went out to tell them to trim with caution, I was told "then I shouldn't have older large trees near the road" - WTF???

Great way to SAVE the environment.
John Birch

United States

#5 May 4, 2009
Check you deed. If PennDot, MetEd or whoever is cutting trees on your property, you have a case. If the tree (or branches) enter a utility right-of-way, they can and will cut whatever they want. Utilities tell you this again and again. If you want a professional job for asthetics, you have to hire your own tree trimmer.
bethlehem

Bethlehem, PA

#6 May 4, 2009
The trees they do trim are butchered and it looks like H*LL.
AnnieB

Easton, PA

#7 May 4, 2009
Have you been on Kreidersville Road lately, over near the covered bridge? PPL cut down what looks like a good portion of a forest and just left the trees lying there helter-skelter. Such arrogance, to destroy a beautiful stand of trees and then walk away, not even clean up after themselves. Now there's an ugly scar on the land.

“Don't Tread on Me”

Since: Jun 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#8 May 4, 2009
To all you tree hugging misanthropes, I have only one thing to say...

TIMBER!
West End Resident

Allentown, PA

#9 May 4, 2009
PennDONT's policy sounds good - except it displays an utter lack of judgment, common sense, and prioritization. They obliterate 100 % of the trees in the area where they're working that day - such as the photo just west of the Rt. 145 interchange. However, on the opposite (south) side of Route 22, and about 2 miles further west - on each side of the Cedar Crest Blvd. interchange (and there's a really noticeable dead one on the northern side there)- and then farther out at the Rt. 309 and Turnpike interchanges by the LV Racquet & Fitness Club - there's still lots of tall trees left to fall on the roadway.

It makes no sense to spend all that money and effort in just one area, and leave other areas with worse problems untouched. It would be better to move around more and get more of the really hazardous and likely-to-fall trees all over, than just concentrating on one area. But that would require using sound judgment and discretion - qualities that that are in all too short supply at PennDONT.

Oh, yeah - now that the treesa re gone, what is pennDOT going to do to control the soil erosion and sedimaentation control on that steep slope just west of Rt. 145 ? Or will we be seeing mudslides onto the roadway there instead ? Just wondering ...
Penn Dont

Sunbury, PA

#10 May 4, 2009
I'm amazed, you mean Penn Dot actually does some work, up here in the coal country they just set up their cones, divert and restrict traffic and then sit around watching the mess they made, at least they seem to be doing something for their paychecks down there.
Likes The Outdoors

Bethlehem, PA

#11 May 4, 2009
The tree triming companies PennDot hires are a joke. They know nothing about how to properly prune a tree. They just cut as much as possible and ruin the view. Bunch of idiots. But then you can tell that by looking at them.
Unhappy in Lehigh

Newtown Square, PA

#12 May 4, 2009
West End Resident wrote:
However, on the opposite (south) side of Route 22, and about 2 miles further west
Uh.. the crews are just working their way westward now... and they've only been working the west-bound lanes... give 'em a bit of time to get there...

Personally--I like the new look between 145 and 15th Street... doesn't feel so claustrophobic now...

Oh, an I like trees... when cut-up and dried, they burn really nicely in my fire pit :-P
Unhappy in Lehigh

Newtown Square, PA

#13 May 4, 2009
Penn Dont wrote:
I'm amazed, you mean Penn Dot actually does some work, up here in the coal country they just set up their cones, divert and restrict traffic and then sit around watching the mess they made, at least they seem to be doing something for their paychecks down there.
PennDOT isn't actually doing the work--they are using sub-contractors for the brush-cutting.... In Friday's article, RW pointed out that the PennDOT workers are there to oversee operations and (when not busy) pick up litter...
Da Bird from 18018

United States

#14 May 4, 2009
Trees on the side of the road are also a liability for the Commonwealth.

In NJ a few years ago a tree fell over on the side of Route 80 and crushed a passing car on a windy day. There was 1 fatality and the state paid millions of dollars to settle the lawsuit the victims husband filed.

I have seen all of the trees cut down lately and that is the first thing that pops into my mind. One less tree to fall and potentially kill someone.
West End Resident

Allentown, PA

#15 May 4, 2009
Unhappy in Lehigh wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh.. the crews are just working their way westward now... and they've only been working the west-bound lanes... give 'em a bit of time to get there...
Personally--I like the new look between 145 and 15th Street... doesn't feel so claustrophobic now...
OK, fair enough - but the all trees I've seen down in that portion of 22 - and I called 1 in myself a couple years ago - were all on the *south* side, not the north side. SO why did PennDONT start on the north side ? And I'll bet PennDONT's crews go and do something else - like patching potholes - long before they're done wiht this portion, and long before all of the dangerous trees are taken care of on the rest of the admittedly extensive District 5-0 roadway network. At best, this seems to be just a "Band-Aid", make-work kind of project.
comment

Reading, PA

#16 May 4, 2009
Shouldn't the herbicide effect on plant and animal life be examined before officials allow this treatment to expand?
PennDot Worker

Allentown, PA

#17 May 4, 2009
Penn Dont wrote:
OK wise guy. Next time I'm near your house, don't be surprised if my rear tires accidently go over your lawn.
Hello

New Oxford, PA

#18 May 4, 2009
comment wrote:
Shouldn't the herbicide effect on plant and animal life be examined before officials allow this treatment to expand?
Sadly there is an easy answer to this one.

No one cares.

Easier to dump herb/pesticides onto our ground to seep into the water tables than to hire people to actually trim back and keep things in check.

No one cares.
Dynamite Monkey

Allentown, PA

#19 May 4, 2009
comment wrote:
Well, we know the effect on plants!

But agreed on the animal life and more importantly ground water. If those guys apply herbicide in the same careless way they hack trees, they probably use way too much herbicide.
RonMania

Easton, PA

#20 May 4, 2009
Get the trees away from the roads. Then we can see those "RAT" bambi types better before they crash into us!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PPL Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PPL nuclear power plant officials detail licens... Jul '14 BDV 1
PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Co... (Feb '09) Nov '13 Scranton 181
Trial begins for businessmen accused of stealin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 silly rabbit 1
Allentown fire station roof ripped off by Sandy... (Oct '12) Oct '12 silly rabbit 1
PPL Holds First Co-Op Community Day - Regional ... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Future not so bright 1
Power Out In Section Of Allentown - Regional Ne... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Lance Smith - All... 4
PPL Chooses 6 Possible Routes For New Power Lin... (Jun '11) Jun '11 My Name 1
•••

PPL Corp People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••