Jammin' concerts canned in center cit...

Jammin' concerts canned in center city Allentown

There are 26 comments on the The Morning Call story from Aug 7, 2009, titled Jammin' concerts canned in center city Allentown. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Jammin' on the Plaza, the free concert series held at PPL Plaza in Allentown, has been canceled for the remainder of the summer over a lack of funds, an organizer said Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WantToKnow

Slatington, PA

#21 Aug 9, 2009
comment wrote:
1. I am no racist.
2. I am no fear mongerer.
3. I am not anti-hispanic.
4. I embrace the arts.
However, I am a realist to why Allentown Symphony Hall, the Community Music Program, Allentown Art Museum, Liberty Bell Shrine and these types of events are struggling and in some cases failing.
For me, it is an issue of individuals actually committing crimes and it is a lack of a large enough population that works downtown.
I believe US Census count had CBD employment around 12,000 for Allentown. The draw for any even may be 1% on any given night. So max, you may have 120 people.
You want these cultural institutions and programming to thrive, you need more employment downtown, which Pawlowski has not delivered in 7 years as Economic Development Director and Mayor, he has been too busy with his HUD progamming and his specialty low-income housing.
Allentown needs 32,000 jobs downtown and then you will have a thriving CBD. Until then, this 3rd largest city which is CBD for a greater region of 1.5 million people will stay a sleepy, dirty, crime infested small town.
Allentown could be a vibrant city, but it sure is heck will not happen under Pawlousy's watch. It takes jobs and this guy doesn't understand finance and economics. His budgets clearly show that.
So, no racism here. I date women of all flavors and sizes, but all good looking. I have had real African girlfriends from Botswona, Ghana, Mozambique, Angola, Sudan, Egypt, Algeria, Morroco. I have had girlfriends from Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Paraguay, Uruguay. I have had Central American and Caribeean girlfriends from Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Trinidad, Jamaica, Turks & Caiccos, Cuba, Dominican Republic, St. Kitt's.
I date all kind of women in Asia. Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Kazahk, Kygyz, Thailand, Viet Nam, Malaysia, Singapore, Russian.
As well as Anglo-Saxon, European women.
This is an issue of actual individuals creating real crime that disourages people from the engaing in risky behavior. The logic is why take a chance? Just work and go home.
I wish this wasn't the case, but it always has been since I can remember in Allentown. Hence, it is why I don't dream of such a city, but why my professional life has been in major cities around the world that can actually deliver it.
By all your posts, we know you are an expert in politics, finance, housing, education, environment, gamblimg, etc. Now we know you are a world-wide "stud" too! One question ... can you also walk on water!
smithy

United States

#22 Aug 10, 2009
Yeah, right, Romeo. You're probably a mouth breathing chud.
comment wrote:
I date women of all flavors and sizes, but all good looking. I have had real African girlfriends from Botswona, Ghana, Mozambique, Angola, Sudan, Egypt, Algeria, Morroco. I have had girlfriends from Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Paraguay, Uruguay. I have had Central American and Caribeean girlfriends from Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Trinidad, Jamaica, Turks & Caiccos, Cuba, Dominican Republic, St. Kitt's.
I date all kind of women in Asia. Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Kazahk, Kygyz, Thailand, Viet Nam, Malaysia, Singapore, Russian.
As well as Anglo-Saxon, European women.
This is an issue of actual individuals creating real crime that disourages people from the engaing in risky behavior. The logic is why take a chance? Just work and go home.
I wish this wasn't the case, but it always has been since I can remember in Allentown. Hence, it is why I don't dream of such a city, but why my professional life has been in major cities around the world that can actually deliver it.
downtown employee

Whitehall, PA

#24 Aug 10, 2009
I work down there, and let me tell you NO ONE from our office would even consider staying for 5 minutes after work. The place is a dump crawling with ghetto dirtbags. The only reason any of us are down there is for a paycheck, if our office ever left I'd never set foot on that God forsaken street again.
downtown supporter

Allentown, PA

#25 Aug 10, 2009
It is a shame that these concerts aren't continuing, but there are still two concerts per week that ARE happening. Summer in the City Concert Series at lunch on Tuesdays and Homegrown Music Series during the Plaza Growers Market on Wednesdays.

Downtown IS turning around.

I count this news as two steps forward, one step back.
comment

Korea

#27 Aug 11, 2009
Ratz Sass wrote:
Wow, can you load any more tar on that brush, Mr Disgusted? If its crime and criminals you want to hate, you don't have to look far from your own main street in the boonies. Seems to be more than enough rapists, robbers and murderers up that way to satisfy your emotions.
And, BTW, did anyone ask for Comment's dating history, Only the Huns had more conquests, it would seem. LOL
Some of us venture more than 15 miles from Nazareth.

I have friends and enough age to warrant attraction. Myopic thought would view dating as conquest. Then again, you are in Nazareth so you are forgiven.
comment

Korea

#28 Aug 11, 2009
WantToKnow wrote:
<quoted text>
By all your posts, we know you are an expert in politics, finance, housing, education, environment, gamblimg, etc. Now we know you are a world-wide "stud" too! One question ... can you also walk on water!
Only on rainy days. You want pictures? I am an expert on financial economics and business stragtegy, it interweaves with every topic, resource optimization.

Yes, I am sharper than the normal tacks in the bunch. You all should be too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PPL Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City lists possible actions on Americus : The M... (Mar '07) Apr '17 silly rabbit 19
News Firefighters Contain East Allentown Blaze (May '08) Sep '16 silly rabbit 2
News PPL Ceo tells shareholders utility is poised fo... (May '15) May '15 logical 1
News PPL nuclear power plant officials detail licens... (Jul '14) Jul '14 BDV 1
News PPL Corp., Allentown, Announces Layoffs: PPL Co... (Feb '09) Nov '13 Scranton 181
News Trial begins for businessmen accused of stealin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 silly rabbit 1
News Allentown fire station roof ripped off by Sandy... (Oct '12) Oct '12 silly rabbit 1
More from around the web