A Bad Backroom Deal

A Bad Backroom Deal

There are 20 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jul 16, 2008, titled A Bad Backroom Deal. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

For years, the Bush administration has tried to detour around federal protections and open millions of acres of national forest to road construction and logging.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

SteveGS

New Britain, CT

#1 Jul 17, 2008
Another one of Bush's legacies of favoritism over principles. His presidential tenure will be a text book case of back room deals, obfuscation, outright lies and deceit. It doesn't surprise me in the least. He is a shameful product of a privileged family. May he depart in peace before more damage is done.
Cut their nuts off

Rochelle, VA

#3 Jul 17, 2008
Mark E Rey and George W. Bush out to have their nuts cut off for this eveil backroom deal.
Land Trust

Old Lyme, CT

#4 Jul 17, 2008
Good for Bush
Why is a paved road going to harm anything?. Any subdivision would still have to meet all zoning requirements so who cares if the existing road is paved?.
The environmental extremeists need to be reckoned with. For too long they have kept us from clearing overgrowth on Federal lands and the results have been Massive uncontrolled Forest Fires.
I like that improvements are being made, now these lands will be accesible to more PEOPLE....
GEO

United States

#5 Jul 17, 2008
SteveGS wrote:
Another one of Bush's legacies of favoritism over principles. His presidential tenure will be a text book case of back room deals, obfuscation, outright lies and deceit. It doesn't surprise me in the least. He is a shameful product of a privileged family. May he depart in peace before more damage is done.
You sound like another America Hater!
DOGMA

Newington, CT

#6 Jul 17, 2008
This comes as absolutely no surprise (nor should it). Between now and January, 2009, you will see a rash of similar deals as the 'blue light specials' and closing time fire sales will be available to all 'suitable consultants'(too heavily burdened) with excess political contributions and suitcases of loose cash.
The present nature of our political process is coming into full bloom and this (not the so-called ideal of civil service) is what drives the current apparatus. Some of us have simply chosen to look away from the gross ugliness, but this is American politics today ...... pure and simple. Stripping all greed and avarice from the politician would be a feat equal to developing a most perfect Saint. Human nature remains in its early development.
Jeff H

Hamden, CT

#7 Jul 17, 2008
Which is worse, people using the land in this way, or millions of acres of timberlands burnt up in fires like they were because of Clinton's forest policies?
seen a bit

Glastonbury, CT

#8 Jul 17, 2008
dogma makes an interesting point at the end about the evolution of the human soul. genetics may have the largest role in determining qualities such as altruism. in other words, it is not clear we are CAPABLE of doing any better in this present genetic format.
Pardon Me

Old Lyme, CT

#9 Jul 17, 2008
DOGMA wrote:
This comes as absolutely no surprise (nor should it). Between now and January, 2009, you will see a rash of similar deals as the 'blue light specials' and closing time fire sales will be available to all 'suitable consultants'(too heavily burdened) with excess political contributions and suitcases of loose cash.
The present nature of our political process is coming into full bloom and this (not the so-called ideal of civil service) is what drives the current apparatus. Some of us have simply chosen to look away from the gross ugliness, but this is American politics today ...... pure and simple. Stripping all greed and avarice from the politician would be a feat equal to developing a most perfect Saint. Human nature remains in its early development.
Or maybe putting in a road so people can access public lands is just a good idea. Not everything is as portrayed by the liberals at the Courant, check their declining readership for proof.
If you think that paving a road is the end of the world, I hope you were as mortified by the Clinton's selling of their office. From the selling of the Lincoln Bedroom for political contributions to the selling of Pardons, everything was up for sale. Even Hillary's brother got in on the gig and had to return a $400k payoff when his promiss of a pardon got picked up by the press.
If you really want change try staying clear of Chicago politicians who can't tell the truth about everthing from their War stance to if they were in Church while their pastor screeched "God Damn America"....
Jeff H

Hamden, CT

#10 Jul 17, 2008
seen a bit wrote:
dogma makes an interesting point at the end about the evolution of the human soul. genetics may have the largest role in determining qualities such as altruism. in other words, it is not clear we are CAPABLE of doing any better in this present genetic format.
Also, a lot of those who claim to have altruistic goals are actually greedy little skum, who think it's OK to take, at the point of a gun, what others make and give it away to lazy people. That's not at all altruistic, nor compassionate.
FAV

East Hartford, CT

#11 Jul 17, 2008
Jeff H wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, a lot of those who claim to have altruistic goals are actually greedy little skum, who think it's OK to take, at the point of a gun, what others make and give it away to lazy people. That's not at all altruistic, nor compassionate.
Hey, Jeff, do you feel the same way about the altruistic motive to save the Iraqis from Saddam that was put forth by the neocons after their WMD lies disappeared? How is it that you never refer to those war criminals as scum, since it's obvious to the rest of the world that "it's taking at the point of a gun"? Need I say taking what? As for the topic at hand, the usual "welfare for the rich" which our corporocracy is famous for. The taxpayers pay for the road, and Plum Creek Corp gets the benefit.
ALS

Chicago, IL

#12 Jul 17, 2008
Pardon Me wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe putting in a road so people can access public lands is just a good idea. Not everything is as portrayed by the liberals at the Courant, check their declining readership for proof.
If you think that paving a road is the end of the world, I hope you were as mortified by the Clinton's selling of their office. From the selling of the Lincoln Bedroom for political contributions to the selling of Pardons, everything was up for sale. Even Hillary's brother got in on the gig and had to return a $400k payoff when his promiss of a pardon got picked up by the press.
If you really want change try staying clear of Chicago politicians who can't tell the truth about everthing from their War stance to if they were in Church while their pastor screeched "God Damn America"....
You crack me up with your use of the word "liberal." Declining readership has nothing to do with anyone's liberal or conservative stance at any newspaper. It's just the way of the industry. Try reading more about it before you blast off about something you are obviously so clueless about. The ironic part of this story is they want to clear lands for more subdivisions when our country is in a complete housing crisis. People can't get loans, tons of houses are on the market and just sitting there, and all we want to do is build more houses that no one can buy right now. Yes I know the market is cyclical. But why don't we try to get out of this cycle before we start clearing more habitats in order to build homes? When there is demand, then we should act. I am not a liberal but I do believe in preservation, if we can do it. God put us and all of his species on Earth to live together. We need to keep that in the backs of our minds when we start taking over forests and land with homes and commercial properties. It's all about proper coexistence and sustainability!
Over Taxed

Old Lyme, CT

#13 Jul 17, 2008
FAV wrote:
<quoted text> Hey, Jeff, do you feel the same way about the altruistic motive to save the Iraqis from Saddam that was put forth by the neocons after their WMD lies disappeared? How is it that you never refer to those war criminals as scum, since it's obvious to the rest of the world that "it's taking at the point of a gun"? Need I say taking what? As for the topic at hand, the usual "welfare for the rich" which our corporocracy is famous for. The taxpayers pay for the road, and Plum Creek Corp gets the benefit.
Fav Fav Fav....America has the second highest corporate tax rate in the civilized world and the Democrats want to raise it higher.
Tell me how this will attract foreign companies looking to relocate. The world is a competeitve place and Ireland has an 11% corporate tax rate. Obama wants a 35% corporate rate and liberals wonder why good jobs are being outsourced overseas.
Before you cry for change please understand that the liberal playbook Barry is pushing for will cost Americans jobs and lower our standard of living.
Forget the class warfare schtick, lower taxes create jobs and improve working peoples standard of living.
Vassar Clements

Newington, CT

#14 Jul 17, 2008
Over Taxed wrote:
<quoted text>
Fav Fav Fav....America has the second highest corporate tax rate in the civilized world and the Democrats want to raise it higher.
Tell me how this will attract foreign companies looking to relocate. The world is a competeitve place and Ireland has an 11% corporate tax rate. Obama wants a 35% corporate rate and liberals wonder why good jobs are being outsourced overseas.
Before you cry for change please understand that the liberal playbook Barry is pushing for will cost Americans jobs and lower our standard of living.
Forget the class warfare schtick, lower taxes create jobs and improve working peoples standard of living.
Fav doesn't let facts get in the way of a good cause.
Over Taxed

Old Lyme, CT

#15 Jul 17, 2008
ALS wrote:
<quoted text>
You crack me up with your use of the word "liberal." Declining readership has nothing to do with anyone's liberal or conservative stance at any newspaper. It's just the way of the industry. Try reading more about it before you blast off about something you are obviously so clueless about. The ironic part of this story is they want to clear lands for more subdivisions when our country is in a complete housing crisis. People can't get loans, tons of houses are on the market and just sitting there, and all we want to do is build more houses that no one can buy right now. Yes I know the market is cyclical. But why don't we try to get out of this cycle before we start clearing more habitats in order to build homes? When there is demand, then we should act. I am not a liberal but I do believe in preservation, if we can do it. God put us and all of his species on Earth to live together. We need to keep that in the backs of our minds when we start taking over forests and land with homes and commercial properties. It's all about proper coexistence and sustainability!
All they want to do is pave an existing road, right?. Why the melodrama and false interest in the builders well being. This is just a smokescreen.
If you look real close you will see that the most liberal media outlets are the ones that are doing the worst. Air America vs. Rush Limbaugh is the best example. The lefties are bankrupt but Limbaugh just inked a $400 million 8 year deal. Figure it out for yourself.
Tribune companies own some of the most liberal papers in America. From their flagship N.Y. Times to the lowly Courant, readership is in the tank and ad revenue is way down.
The Liberal Big three Network news shows have declining viewership and falling ad revenues. Meanwhile over at Fox the viewership is up again and THEY NOW HAVE THE HIGHEST RATED NEWS SHOW ON CABLE...
Please learn some facts before trying to pretend you aren't a liberal
Smokey

Waterbury, CT

#16 Jul 17, 2008
The Forest Service always gets the "kid glove" treatment by the media. An in depth report regarding its abuses and downright stealing of land throughout the 90's in Montana and Idaho would provide balance. Many people's lives were ruined by the Forsest Serveice under the Clinton administration. This fact is always missing by the left wingers.
Freddy Killowat

Hope, ME

#17 Jul 17, 2008
Plum Creek hired the large Lawyer outfit that former Sen George Mitchell use to belong to. They are still powerfull and installed their young lawyer as an adviser to the Governor Baldacci.
They were recently involved in what is considered a serious conflict on interest with a state senator.
Plum Creek wants to build some 900 houses, and other business buildings
all on and around Moosehead Lake, in a move that will destroy this area.
They have been doing some clear-cutting in the meantime.
Who will save us from these "New World Order" profiteers?
Don Nix

Arlington, TX

#18 Jul 17, 2008
Cut their nuts off wrote:
Mark E Rey and George W. Bush out to have their nuts cut off for this eveil backroom deal.
Your opinion would be better received if you could spell and weren't so crude.
Don Nix

Arlington, TX

#19 Jul 17, 2008
Your opinion would be better received if you could spell and weren't so crude.
Over Taxed

Old Lyme, CT

#20 Jul 18, 2008
Freddy Killowat wrote:
Plum Creek hired the large Lawyer outfit that former Sen George Mitchell use to belong to. They are still powerfull and installed their young lawyer as an adviser to the Governor Baldacci.
They were recently involved in what is considered a serious conflict on interest with a state senator.
Plum Creek wants to build some 900 houses, and other business buildings
all on and around Moosehead Lake, in a move that will destroy this area.
They have been doing some clear-cutting in the meantime.
Who will save us from these "New World Order" profiteers?
Mmmm...did you say 900 new houses on Moosehead Lake?. I think I may buy one when I retire and leave Ct in 5 years. The taxes can't be as bad as here, right?
Frank Sinatra

Winsted, CT

#21 Jul 18, 2008
Land Trust wrote:
Good for Bush
Why is a paved road going to harm anything?. Any subdivision would still have to meet all zoning requirements so who cares if the existing road is paved?.
The environmental extremeists need to be reckoned with. For too long they have kept us from clearing overgrowth on Federal lands and the results have been Massive uncontrolled Forest Fires.
I like that improvements are being made, now these lands will be accesible to more PEOPLE....
Extremists? YOU are the extremist. There is a rich collection of scientific studies about the ecological impact of roads, their effect as a driver of forest fragmentation, their radiant impact into surrounding lands, their role as ecological traps, etc.

You're too freaking ignorant to think that the science should come first in policy decisions. You think that just because YOU think something, it's right, facts be damned.

We are so screwed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swiss-born billionaire Wyss puts $35M into US f... (Dec '10) Dec '10 ZENmud 43
News SADIF Analytics rates Vulcan Materials Company ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 John Smith 1
Software (Aug '10) Aug '10 Need input 1
News Lynx critical habitat increases (Feb '09) Feb '09 Just wondering 1
News View Comments (Jan '09) Jan '09 John G 1
News Secret Deal May Open Prime Land in Montana (Jul '08) Jul '08 jim moose 2
News Plum Creek Proposes Affordable Housing In Moose... (Dec '07) Dec '07 hiz 1
More from around the web