Maribeth dishes
Debbie Haugh

Satellite Beach, FL

#1 Sep 22, 2010
I bought a whole set of Maribeth print dishes: 8 lg. & small plates, bowls,& mugs. Love the pattern, but they chip really easy. Wouldn't have spent that much money for chippy dishes. FYI
corrina

United States

#2 Nov 3, 2010
Chipped from what? I love these but am rethinking b/c of your comment. How long did u have before they chipped?
pghguy

Odon, IN

#3 Dec 5, 2010
chipped because they are earthenware, and you need to know that the beautiful color is only "chip deep". Earthenware retains its vibrant colors because it is not fired at an intensively high temperature. Your expectations of earthenware show you are not knowledgeable of the difference between earthenware, stoneware, porcelain etc. Educate yourself. chipping does not occur unless you chip it. if it is not clunked against another harder object, then it will not chip. you are not buying lenox china and nothing lasts forever. "How long did u have before they chipped?" "how long did you have them before you chipped them?"..... is the more appropriate question
Ally

United States

#4 Dec 15, 2010
Wow. Ok, so she didn't know the difference between earthenware, stoneware and porcelain- does that require a beating over the head with your knowledge?

Wouldn't it have been nicer to explain the difference and what she can expect from all the different materials.

Can't people just be nice anymore.

Debbie, I am sorry your plates got chipped, I can imagine how frustrated I would be if I were in your position- after all, these things do nto come with instructions do they. Perhaps Pier1 will take them back.
jsmith

Thornville, OH

#5 Mar 22, 2011
Maribeth dishes chip from normal use, really badly!
Wouldn't buy any dishes from Pier 1 again!
jsmith

Thornville, OH

#6 Mar 22, 2011
I informed Pier 1 about the problem with the Maribeth dishes, and they thanked me and
offered a store credit. They are a reputable company that stands behind their products.
john

New York, NY

#7 Apr 25, 2011
I love the pattern as all of you who are commenting. Yes, I've had problems with chipping as well, but just have learned to be as delicate with them as possible & not use them for everyday use. I have bought a few extras because of the problem & some I'm planning to do a little touch-up on. I noticed in the store there were a few edge chips as well. I will occasionally buy more pieces until they are finished with the run.
Georgia

Canada

#8 May 24, 2011
I just bought the Mirabeth set from Pier 1 as well.(No chipping yet!) However, it says "Ironstone" on the bottom, and on their web site, they explain the difference between earthenware, porcelain stoneware and Ironstone. Having said that, I welcome this warning and will try to handle thenm with care. I am using then for every day dishes. I am using the smaller plates as dinner plates (for portion control)- and it seems to work for my gang.
Savannah GA

Muskegon, MI

#9 Oct 18, 2011
Debbie Haugh wrote:
I bought a whole set of Maribeth print dishes: 8 lg. & small plates, bowls,& mugs. Love the pattern, but they chip really easy. Wouldn't have spent that much money for chippy dishes. FYI
I bought Maribeth place settings for 12, loved the pattern, but every time we use them, we end up with chips. The clay used for the dishes is not sturdy or something.(I had a set of dishes years ago that chipped real bad also.) My last set I had for 20 years with only 1 or 2 peices getting broke and no chips. With close to 400.00 invested in these " everyday " dishes, I have started using them only occasionally. Am very disappointed, as I really love the pattern on the dishes.
Savannah GA

Muskegon, MI

#10 Oct 18, 2011
Debbie Haugh wrote:
Mine started chipping after the first week, I have now had them a year and have replaced several pieces. Yesterday I was drinking coffee and a nice little chunk came off with my sip of coffee. That's a first however.
Nancy

Jamesville, NY

#11 Apr 13, 2012
I too spent a great deal of money on this great looking dinnerware. I loved the pattern but the chipping is unbelievable. My husband and I use the dishes everyday and I have had more chips with this dinnerware than I have had total number of chips from the 4 or 5 other sets of dishes from other manufacturers in our 35 years of marriage! Pier I first replaced each piece that I returned, but after so many chips, I questioned the product. The store offered to give me a credit for all of the pieces that I have purchased. I will shop elsewhere for dinnerware.
R Mckinney

Greensboro, NC

#12 Jun 20, 2014
I too have had the same problem so now I just use them for decoration. All my bowls chipped right away. But, I must say they look beautiful in my display.:)
Bette

Lewiston, ID

#13 Jul 21, 2014
I have had six sets of Maribeth dinnerware for two years now and haven't had a single chip. Admittedly they don't get heavy use in my small household but I don't give them special care either.
Katy

San Diego, CA

#14 Aug 4, 2014
I have a set and they have chipped a lot! I want to get another set but now I am afraid all Pier 1 stuff will be the same. Maybe just the Ironstone is the problem? It is a drag.
Luv2sail

Arlington, TX

#15 Jan 9, 2015
Purchased Maribeth Ironstone dinner plates, mugs, salad plates, saucers and serving pieces in September 2013 from Pier1. Use these often for entertaining and there has been no chipping. I Do hand wash all my special entertaining pieces so possibly deleting the use of a dishwasher has prevented chipping.
Diane Wilson

Cape Coral, FL

#16 Oct 30, 2015
I bought the whole set, including platter and serving bowl in December 2011. I love them in spite of the chipping problem. A couple of pieces chipped because of putting them in dishwasher and clinking them on other dishes. I am much more careful with them now, and will still use them everyday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pier 1 Imports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pier 1 Imports Inc (PIR) Shares Bought by Ameri... May '16 ELISE GINGERICH 1
News Pier 1 Imports Inc (PIR) Earns "Hold" Rating fr... May '16 ELISE GINGERICH 1
So, what's the current deal? Mar '16 AtTheBeach 1
Pier 1 survival (Feb '09) Jan '16 ugh 91
Dress code change (Jun '08) Jun '15 Cb2angel 61
music (Apr '07) Jun '15 pclassey 86
News Pier 1 to close some 60 stores (Apr '07) Jul '14 Rachal 382
More from around the web