Boy in South Barrington jumps at chan...

Boy in South Barrington jumps at chance to help girls in Africa

There are 9 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 10, 2008, titled Boy in South Barrington jumps at chance to help girls in Africa. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Providing sanitary protection to young girls in sub-Saharan Africa is a cause that has yet to make it onto a lot of radar screens.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

for real

Chicago, IL

#1 Feb 10, 2008
is this kids dad a polotician that he wants to follow in his footsteps??? because i would like to know how much money this rich kids parents donated for good cause or for tax deferments...4 mill house sons yale school paid for hhhmmm...nice tax break mom and dad
Pat

United States

#3 Feb 10, 2008
Wow, what a wonderful young man. Thanks kid and you will be the next big thing out of our state. I am biased because I live in South B. too and understand that he could have been self centered, self focused, and self concerned; but he was not !!!
mimi

Chicago, IL

#5 Feb 11, 2008
I think this is too cool on a lot of levels.

I'm glad to see that adolescent males are learning what challenges their female counterparts face. I wonder what parallel learning situation could come up that teach girls about boys. I'll all for gender demystification as young as possible.

Naturally, the international learning opportunity is irreplaceable. It would be even more wonderful to make such an opportunity to less affluent American kids.
mimi

Chicago, IL

#6 Feb 11, 2008
OLDADEYO wrote:
THIS STORY ABOUT THE GIRLS IS "".B.O.G.U.S." "
I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE ARE BELIEVING IT.
>THERE IS NO LOGIC IN IT.....OR DID THEY JUST START HAVING THERE PERIODS OVER THERE.
>WHAT DID TODAYS GIRLS,MOTHERS DO? D.U.H.
>EVE AND ADAM HAD THE SAME PROBLEM Hmmmm
>HOW LONG AGO WAS THAT ?
>MENSTRAL TIME IS NOT NEW IN AFRICA--
>SOMEBODY JERKING OUR "STRING" "TAINT FUNNY"
> DO...N.O.T...SEND...MONEY...
A lot of cultures ostracize menstruating females. If the type of sanitary protection they traditionally have is not as discreet as Western-style products, it becomes apparent that the girl is menstruating. If she is allowed some discretion and privacy, it becomes less likely that she will be publicly humiliated or ostracized. You're operating from a 21st-century Western perspective. One only has to go back 60 years in this country to see how discriminated against menstruating females were here. It's almost always been much worse in more patriarchal and less technologically sophisticated cultures for menstruating females. Just because you weren't aware of the issue, doesn't make it bogus.
That other guy

Elmhurst, IL

#7 Feb 11, 2008
what an moran..Let them starve
Wonder

South Charleston, OH

#8 Feb 11, 2008
That other guy wrote:
what a moron..Let them starve.
Thinks like I do.
Joe

Burbank, IL

#9 Feb 13, 2008
for real wrote:
is this kids dad a polotician that he wants to follow in his footsteps??? because i would like to know how much money this rich kids parents donated for good cause or for tax deferments...4 mill house sons yale school paid for hhhmmm...nice tax break mom and dad
What an ignorant post. Believe it or not, there are humanitarian people out there who want to help those in need. And if his parents are rich, so what? You aren't? And if you aren't, should everyone else be just like you?
bhs

Hoffman Estates, IL

#10 Dec 6, 2008
Patrick Lee is at it again :) I was in high school with him but he graduated last year. He was a very sweet guy and got into yale because he was intelligent not because his parents bought him in, he was valedictirian at the school and got perfect SAT and ACT scores and with a gpa at 4.7 I was suprised to find out he was waitlisted at harvard.

Since: Jul 13

Sycamore, IL

#11 Jul 31, 2013
Any girls please snap chat me

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Procter and Gamble Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Can Medicine Boost Female Sex Drive? (Apr '07) Jun '16 Sarah 20
News HP Ceo Meg Whitman makes the whole company foll... (Feb '15) Feb '15 DNA 1
Case study on Procter and Gamble (Nov '14) Nov '14 kristina 1
News Comparing America's 3 Largest Personal Products... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Greg 1
News Activist pleads guilty in Ohio for P&G HQ protest (Sep '14) Sep '14 Pops 1
News Obama picks ex-P&G head to lead Veterans Affairs (Jun '14) Jul '14 the Light 4
News Ex P&G head Obama choice to lead Veterans Affairs (Jun '14) Jul '14 Le Jimbo 17
More from around the web