PRINCIPAL CUTS: Principal Financial Eliminates Health Care Coverage...

Full story: WHOtv 47
According to Principal Financial Group, being in the health insurance business just doesn't pay off anymore. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Wilma Eastridge

Indianola, IA

#1 Sep 30, 2010
I believe the health care reform signed by the president this
year has a lot to do with this. It is happening across Amercia.
My heart goes out to those who will lose their jobs......So many
out of work already in Iowa.
dave

Clinton, IA

#2 Oct 1, 2010
Maybe uncle Chet can find jobs for them. He is saying the state has 330 million in surplus. No wait he just laid a bunch of teachers and government workers off as well. Watch the unemployment numbers rise and his numbers drop.

I too hope they find jobs but there are not many out there to be found.

I also agree healthcare reform has a lot to do with this. It is not the insurance companies but health care providers who are driving costs up.
Legal American citizen

Pella, IA

#4 Oct 1, 2010
Thanks Obama! You have screwed the taxpayers again.
TRON

Des Moines, IA

#5 Oct 1, 2010
Wilma Eastridge wrote:
I believe the health care reform signed by the president this
year has a lot to do with this. It is happening across Amercia.
My heart goes out to those who will lose their jobs......So many
out of work already in Iowa.
Due respect, Wilma, but it doesn't matter what you "believe" because as the last sentence of the article says -

"Principal says health care reform signed by the president this year has little impact on the company's decision."

You may not support Obama or his policies, including ACA, but you still should be fair and rational. From the comments left by a lot of people for the 2 articles concerning this subject on WHO, there seems to be knee-jerk blame Obama for every piece of bad news regardless of the facts attitude running amok. That gets this country nowhere. If we can't logically deal with the issues facing this country in a serious and factual manner then we are doomed and that isn't going to be Obama's fault.

People need to stop being partisan aholes and start being honorable citizens.
TRON

Des Moines, IA

#6 Oct 1, 2010
Legal American citizen wrote:
Thanks Obama! You have screwed the taxpayers again.
How so? And how did you come to that opinion from reading this article.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. You seem to be making up your own "facts".
whatttt

Millsboro, DE

#7 Oct 1, 2010
Ask Principal how many other people they have laid off in the last three to four months. The number is around 60 and they are not telling the news about those positions. Are we going to blame Obama on this too? I don't think so! There are several poeple out of a job that don't get unemployment who's counting those numbers? I am one of them and still looking for a job over the past year I have had one interview and put several applications in. Where are the jobs.
tooth-4-tooth

Des Moines, IA

#8 Oct 1, 2010
Tron: Nice to "believe" every thing you read. With all due respect, don't eat everything up the media feeds you as the truth. Principal looked forward and decided to get out of the business due to it's forcasted lack of profit in the future. Their Health business was actually profitable last year. They got stung when the economy slumped and had to go to the street with their hat in hand and say, "we didn't see it coming", "who could have known the economy was collapsing?", for a financial company, that's inexcusable. They've see this one coming and it IS DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE to healthcare reform. No matter what the article says, read between the lines. Practice what you preach Tron and move a little right from the far left wing-nut postion you currently occupy
halsey

West Des Moines, IA

#9 Oct 1, 2010
TRON wrote:
<quoted text>
Due respect, Wilma, but it doesn't matter what you "believe" because as the last sentence of the article says -
"Principal says health care reform signed by the president this year has little impact on the company's decision."
You may not support Obama or his policies, including ACA, but you still should be fair and rational. From the comments left by a lot of people for the 2 articles concerning this subject on WHO, there seems to be knee-jerk blame Obama for every piece of bad news regardless of the facts attitude running amok. That gets this country nowhere. If we can't logically deal with the issues facing this country in a serious and factual manner then we are doomed and that isn't going to be Obama's fault.
People need to stop being partisan aholes and start being honorable citizens.
Sorry, it is Obama's fault because,,, ahhhhhh,,, he's the President.... Thats maybe why his poll numbers are in the tank...
TRON

Des Moines, IA

#10 Oct 1, 2010
halsey wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, it is Obama's fault because,,, ahhhhhh,,, he's the President.... Thats maybe why his poll numbers are in the tank...
I see. So it is the POTUS' fault anytime a private company goes under or has to lay off workers? Please explain to me how that works.

There is nothing in the articles about Principal's decision that indicates in anyway that it had to do with Obama's policies. The CEO himself stated very clearly that the med ins division had not been profitable for a number of years and the last sentence of the current article on WHO states -

"Principal says health care reform signed by the president this year has little impact on the company's decision."

So please tell me, with all due respect, how does your assertion that it is Obama's fault jibe with this info?
TRON

Des Moines, IA

#11 Oct 1, 2010
tooth-4-tooth wrote:
Tron: Nice to "believe" every thing you read. With all due respect, don't eat everything up the media feeds you as the truth. Principal looked forward and decided to get out of the business due to it's forcasted lack of profit in the future. Their Health business was actually profitable last year. They got stung when the economy slumped and had to go to the street with their hat in hand and say, "we didn't see it coming", "who could have known the economy was collapsing?", for a financial company, that's inexcusable. They've see this one coming and it IS DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE to healthcare reform. No matter what the article says, read between the lines. Practice what you preach Tron and move a little right from the far left wing-nut postion you currently occupy
So, according to you, I am a "far left wing-nut" because I believe is rational and factual discourse? Not exactly a glowing endorsement of the conservative movement if using logic and facts to guide one's opinions is a lefty trait. Just sayin'.

You have obviously made up your mind that Obama is bad and everything bad that happens in this country is his fault in some way. Doesn't matter what the details and facts are - nothing, including statements made by Principal and it's CEO that this decision has nothing to do with Obama or the ACA, is going to convince you otherwise. You even go so far to completely ignore or discount as lies information that totally contradicts your pre-conceived notions. You have closed your mind and no matter what facts or new info is put before you, it is going to stay closed. That is not a healthy or helpful way to operate in my opinion.

You say that Principal's decision "IS DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE to healthcare reform." Ok. Back that up. Show me proof of that. To back up my position I will post once again the statement directly from Principal that is included in the article -

"Principal says health care reform signed by the president this year has little impact on the company's decision."

Is Principal lying? Do they not know what they are talking about?

Ball is in your court.
Anne C

Somerset, NJ

#12 Oct 1, 2010
Fewer health care providers will certainly mean higher premiums and maybe limited benefits. But health care providers are not free to push for rates as they please. Big hospitals, the pharmaceutical industries and certain laws are also taken into consideration when premiums are set.

NY Health Insurer
halsey

West Des Moines, IA

#13 Oct 1, 2010
Your right TRON,,, NOTHING is Obama's fault,,, its all Bush's fault, right ?? 2 years in office, and ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to show for it,, except a HUGE deficet.. You have TOP Democrats moving away from his failed policies,, explain that ?? Be ready for next month !!! You tell Tooth-4-Tooth to "back it up",, but I dont see you doing that..
whatttt

Millsboro, DE

#14 Oct 1, 2010
I use to work at Principal and this has been a issue for many years. Trust me when I say this has nothing to do with Obama. It has to do with profit and it wasn't making the profit they wanted! Sorry to all who dislike Obama but this issue was on the table many years ago.
In Urbandale

Denver, CO

#15 Oct 1, 2010
halsey wrote:
Your right TRON,,, NOTHING is Obama's fault,,, its all Bush's fault, right ?? 2 years in office, and ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to show for it,, except a HUGE deficet.. You have TOP Democrats moving away from his failed policies,, explain that ?? Be ready for next month !!! You tell Tooth-4-Tooth to "back it up",, but I dont see you doing that..
I'm ready for next month! I am sure we'll have a change in power over to Republicans. But I think we can all agree that the actual current state of the economy isn't decided on todays headlines. It's decided on what foundation has been laid. I'm sure if you were to ask any economist they'd agree that decisions from the past have caused what we are experiencing now. So, when the economy rebounds in a year or two and let's all thanks the current administration for doing the ugly work of softening the blow of the greatest recession ever that was set up by...drum roll please...President Bush.
Ive found out

Baxter, IA

#16 Oct 1, 2010
What are all those fat lazy office workers going to do now?
tooth-4-tooth

Des Moines, IA

#17 Oct 1, 2010
TRON wrote:
<quoted text>
So, according to you, I am a "far left wing-nut" because I believe is rational and factual discourse? Not exactly a glowing endorsement of the conservative movement if using logic and facts to guide one's opinions is a lefty trait. Just sayin'.
You have obviously made up your mind that Obama is bad and everything bad that happens in this country is his fault in some way. Doesn't matter what the details and facts are - nothing, including statements made by Principal and it's CEO that this decision has nothing to do with Obama or the ACA, is going to convince you otherwise. You even go so far to completely ignore or discount as lies information that totally contradicts your pre-conceived notions. You have closed your mind and no matter what facts or new info is put before you, it is going to stay closed. That is not a healthy or helpful way to operate in my opinion.
You say that Principal's decision "IS DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE to healthcare reform." Ok. Back that up. Show me proof of that. To back up my position I will post once again the statement directly from Principal that is included in the article -
"Principal says health care reform signed by the president this year has little impact on the company's decision."
Is Principal lying? Do they not know what they are talking about?
Ball is in your court.
Tron: You are obviously jumping to comclusions because you ARE NOT engaging in factual and ration discourse. Next, you'll be pointing out my spelling and gramatical errors and taking shots at my intelligence since you you really have nothing better to say. I didn't even indicate my postion and you just assumed I'm a righty with a closed mind. Did you read the actual announcement or just the snippet published by this media outlet? That one line is your "facts", huh, you have revealed yourself as a sheeple. You're basing your entire argument on a single line of a doc. I know what the CEO/board said last year vs. this and they've completely reversed their thinking. If you read the two previous sentences, you'll see that "experts" indicate this may be a new trend. Why? Because of new economic conditions and regulations. READ BETWEEN THE LINES. Yes, some people boil it down to "Thanks Obama" It should be boiled down to "Thanks current congress made up of majority of Dems". Lastly, no sitting CEO of a comopany that size will take a direct shot at the current adminsitration, they lobby them way to much to step on toes like that.
Marco

Urbandale, IA

#18 Oct 1, 2010
the cost of insurance will continue to go higher. this is why a public option was needed.
TRON

Des Moines, IA

#19 Oct 1, 2010
halsey wrote:
Your right TRON,,, NOTHING is Obama's fault,,, its all Bush's fault, right ?? 2 years in office, and ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to show for it,, except a HUGE deficet.. You have TOP Democrats moving away from his failed policies,, explain that ?? Be ready for next month !!! You tell Tooth-4-Tooth to "back it up",, but I dont see you doing that..
First off, chill.

Second, I didn't say "Nothing is Obama's fault." Did I? Nor was there any mention of Bush.

Third, there was a large deficit sitting on his desk when he came into office.

Fourth, and most importantly, my response to you was because you said Principal's decision to close it's med ins division was directly Obama's fault because he is POTUS. I posted the statement made by Principal in the article (you know, where I did, in fact, BACK IT UP) explaining that it had nothing to do with Obama or his policies.

This need not be a partisan issue, but folks like yourself want to make it one, facts be damned. I'm starting to think some people actually want bad things to happen just so they can blame Obama.
TRON

Des Moines, IA

#20 Oct 1, 2010
tooth-4-tooth wrote:
<quoted text>
Tron: You are obviously jumping to comclusions because you ARE NOT engaging in factual and ration discourse.
I'm not, huh? Ok. Then there probably isn't any point continuing this discussion.
dave

Clinton, IA

#21 Oct 1, 2010
Fact 1:

Democrats have been in control of both houses of our Federal and States legislatures the last 2-4-6 years.

Fact 2:

Our President no matter who is in office is limited in what they are able to accomplish, unless they write executive orders. Congress either works with the executive office or oppose it.

Fact 3:

Principle made their decision based on a lack of profit in health care insurance. My company use to use Principle until they started to gouge us and were nick picking each and every claim and paying claims late. It was a mess. I am glad we changed.

There Tron are a few facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Principal Financial Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge denies class action in Principal case (Oct '08) Apr '14 Eric 76
Principal CEO to receive top industry award (Sep '13) Sep '13 williamscharles71 2
Principal Financial Group Voted Best Third-Part... (Nov '09) Jan '13 Richard S 4
Principal To Quit Its Medical Insurance Business (Sep '10) Oct '10 PFG SUCKS 41
Argument Wages Over Appointing Judges (Sep '10) Sep '10 bocefus 8
Principal Financial Board Member Kerr Resigns (Feb '10) Feb '10 honor 1
Logged in to account - says "Terminated" (Jan '10) Jan '10 Silv 1

Principal Financial Group People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE