Tea party sequel planned for Easton's...

Tea party sequel planned for Easton's Centre Square

There are 30 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jul 1, 2009, titled Tea party sequel planned for Easton's Centre Square. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Political junkies now have their own summer sequel to ponder: Tea Parties 2, Independence Day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#1 Jul 1, 2009
'It's a movement that percolates underneath the radar screen,'' Gerow said.

It is a GOP front organization.

Why hide that?

Where were you between 2002-2009?

Enjoying tax cuts.

All taxes must go up so that we can pay the national debt.

I hope the current administration doesn't raise taxes and spend even more.

BTW, if you're underground, then you're buried.
its time

Emmaus, PA

#2 Jul 1, 2009
People it is time to stand up and be heard. This is NOT about a political party, but about gov't out of control. Idiots are running this country. Our elected officials should take a pay cut for once. Stop burdening the rest of us with one tax increase after the next, we can't continue this way. Senators make an average of $170,000 / year, they can afford a pay cut. These knuckleheads in Washington don't care about anyone but themselves. Just look at the actions of Spector, more recently the trip to Argentina. These idiot's don't care about us. They try to keep Democrats and Republicans at each others throats over abortion, environmental, and gun issues, so we don't pay attention to the nonsense that is going on. If you are against out of control spending, if you are worried about your childrens future, I urge you to attend. You can't just expect everyone else to get involved while you sit back and wait for things to work out. This country is in a dire state. Show up, stand up, and be heard. Write your representatives about your concerns. If you get an email to sign a petition regarding an issue that you feel strongly about, sign the darn thing. What are you affraid of??? The time to get involved is NOW!
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#3 Jul 2, 2009
What do you WANT?

What's your agenda?

If you're just protesting because that's enjoyable to you, fine.

If you actually want something to change, and you enter the public square, I think you must make your demands quite clear.

Or, you'll be ignored.

Again.

BTW, let's say you do get the point across that taxes shouldn't go up. Who will pay off the national debt?
snowman allentown PA

Fogelsville, PA

#4 Jul 2, 2009
I want the spending to stop NOW. Why must I and other workers pay for the lazy bast...ds sitting at home? I also find it ridiculus that I will be paying for some illegals to go to school for NOTHING while I have to help pay off my grandchildrens' school loans which are over $40,000 average for each of five former students. But then, you think we should take care of these things(if you are not a citizen or a legal immigrant, you are nothing). I did not agree with freeing Iraq, I thought they were guilty and should have been black topped over the whole country. I believe that our military should be used to PROTECT this country against ALL aggressors whereever they are. And I prefer that we ruin their country not ours. But whereever our troops are I will support them, they are not able to decide where they are to go. As for paying off the national debt, healthcare wont make it any easier. So go cry that you want you Caddilac, too.
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#5 Jul 2, 2009
^^ Generally, I agree, and I wish that the spending had stopped years ago.

America is seen as foolish, in general, on immigration policy.

Mexico beats and then buses illegal immigrants home.(They're moving in from the south)

Japan just issued a notice to 'guest' workers:$3,000 one-time payment, you have (I think) 30 days to leave the country.

Germany: Guest workers are sent home to their border of choice; what amounts to a public service announcement goes out on TV telling them to leave.

France: You and I could never work there. Ever.

I think we need to be much, much smarter. Immigration may have built this country, but admitting MDs and other professionals to just snap-up good jobs is stupid.

Encouraging mass outsourcing without any penalty is also stupid.

Allowing any foreign company to just show up and buy whatever they want, completely unrestricted (and untaxed) is truly dumb. American investment in our 'ally' countries is not so free. Example: check S. Korean policy on foreign investment.
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#6 Jul 2, 2009
Sorry -- I just posted the second part to the wrong thread.

It is barely relevant here, except to say that our tax base is falling because we're foolish.

We think other countries and their people respect us. They do not. They simply want what we have. And they'll do anything to get it.
Forks Gal

Saylorsburg, PA

#7 Jul 2, 2009
Of course a Rich wouldn't see anything wrong with Obama's path. Just as a person with Body Odor can't smell his own stench.

We are going to tax this country into ruin!
Forks Gal

Saylorsburg, PA

#8 Jul 2, 2009
Sam wrote:
What do you WANT?
What's your agenda?
If you're just protesting because that's enjoyable to you, fine.
If you actually want something to change, and you enter the public square, I think you must make your demands quite clear.
Or, you'll be ignored.
Again.
BTW, let's say you do get the point across that taxes shouldn't go up. Who will pay off the national debt?
Sam, let me help you to understand.

OK ... so my husband and I have $X that we earn. After we pay for our own health care, life insurance, and are taxed by this group and that, then pay our FICA, for which we will never see again, we get to take home a little less than 50% of what we earned.

So, let's just say that's 50%, so we get $X/2. Of that, though we have to feed our family, pay for a roof over our head, we have to have cars to get to our jobs, leave us with X/2 - Y.

That value is our discretionary income. We donate about 20% of our discretionary income to organizations that directly help people. We save another set for retirement, a bunch goes to our children's education, and the rest is funneled into local businesses, to pay for work around our house, and the like. We tend to keep our money very close to home. We estimated that if we cummulated what we are covering in other's incomes we actually employ two full time people with a living wage and benefits.

These people, of course, also donate money, pay taxes, and employ others (probably locals as well).

Now, if you take money out of our account, we still have to live, drive a car to work, and will eat. We have no choice in paying taxes and FICA, and we will save money for retirement and to pay for our children's education.

That money is coming out of those who we employ ... we will skip oil changes, clean the house ourself, hold off on replacing those old windows ... we will also donate less, that's less food in the food banks and for the local Red Cross. Every year, we donate about 5 baby coats, and enough clothing and diapers for a baby for a year! There are going to be cold and naked babies!

So, immediately, others will be less likely to make a living or have food and shelter in an emergency ... they will also be less likely to pay for taxes. For every dollar more we are taxed, there will be a direct and negative effect on people.

Never has this country been able to tax itself into prosperity ... never.

And trust me, the guy who is hoping to replace our windows, and the local shop that fixes my car with 175,000 miles on it, and the woman who dog sits when we go on vacation are all hoping that my husband and I don't lose our jobs or are over taxed ... as they know, they will suffer.

So, though I won't be at the Tea Party ... as I have to work to pay my taxes for so many people need my money ... but if I were to go, I would be demanding a fair and responsible look at how we are taxing ourselves. I would demand fiscal responsibility. I would demand that we stop punishing the productive.

I believe I am not alone in my demands!
snowman allentown PA

Fogelsville, PA

#9 Jul 2, 2009
Well 'FORKS GAL' although I agree with you, I feel that we are expecting too much from the lazy, ignorant, illegal, and just plain undereducated (because they slept in class) people and we must be sure that they get free housing, free medical care, free food, free spending money, aw shiit, I can't go any further because I get pisssed off about this .
GDP

Oakland, CA

#10 Jul 2, 2009
Do you realize that choosing the 4th of July for your protests is very selfish.
It's our nation's birthday the one day of the year to celebrate.
You know parades,BBQs,concerts and fireworks
What's next Christmas day tea parties
Tea parties for an other day would show some class
I don't think you will win many fans on this one
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#11 Jul 3, 2009
@Forks - You describe a pretty nice lifestyle there.

I also support the food bank and Red Cross (small world) but I do not give them so much money that I skip oil changes. I do not have maids.

Back to the Tea -

I think Tea Parties are a waste of time for two reasons.

First, the national debt is quite real, and taxes will be invented to pay for it. Politicians are not stupid; your rates may not change, but the amount that we ALL pay will.

Second, the Tea Party organizers appear to have no point.

I'm going to go do a bit of surfing to see who's benefiting from these Tea Party events -- just for fun.
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#12 Jul 3, 2009
Let's see..........

This guy is a self-proclaimed organizer, but says the 'movement' started all by itself. Agenda: Angry with Obama <?> -- Again, unclear.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/15/philli...

Anti-liberal rant on the 'Official' website. Sounds pretty radical to me.
http://www.teapartyday.com/

Actually, pretty well written, facts are pretty well balanced, but, again, no actual POINT to the 'movement'
http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/04/15/...

Can ANYONE find an actual list of changes that this 'movement' wants?

I really would listen, if they actually had a point beyond a vague sense of anger and fear.
True conservative

Easton, PA

#13 Jul 3, 2009
most of these 9/12 types used to push for bush and mccain along with glenn beck not even a whole year ago. Did you forget that the first stimulus was started by Bush and Co-singed by Obama and McCain? nothing Obama, Bush, and to an extent Reagan did was in accordance with the constitution. Where were you last year when Ron Paul was running in the primaries? Probably buying a ticket onto the Palin wagon. If you really want to make a difference call your representatives and have them sign on to H.R. 1207 to Audit the Federal reserve. Unless of course all you're seeking is attention!
jim new jersey

East Orange, NJ

#14 Jul 3, 2009
refuse to follow arrogant politicians over cliff.smaller government less taxes.july 4 1776,birth of greatest nation on earth, celebrate our LIBRTY;i dont think it ages like the human body,but, it definitely needs a booster shot.
tom

Walnutport, PA

#15 Jul 3, 2009
GDP wrote:
Do you realize that choosing the 4th of July for your protests is very selfish.
It's our nation's birthday the one day of the year to celebrate.
You know parades,BBQs,concerts and fireworks
What's next Christmas day tea parties
Tea parties for an other day would show some class
I don't think you will win many fans on this one
So stay home and stuff your face. No one will miss you.
GDP

United States

#16 Jul 3, 2009
tom wrote:
<quoted text>
So stay home and stuff your face. No one will miss you.
Going to a parade and a BBQ with friends and family
No one will miss you either
America love it or leave it
The Bear

Rex, GA

#17 Jul 4, 2009
Attended this event yesterday. A good crowd for a Fri. night of a holiday weekend when most are on vacation.

Did the Mcall provide any coverage? I ask because I didn't see any articles about it in today's paper. WFMZ was there.

There's alot of anger percolating below the surface of public life with the way things are headed in this country. One of the event speakers urged the crowd to make their voices heard by voting on election day. Unfortunately our elected officials at the state and federal levels are deaf, dumb (most certainly) and blind.
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#18 Jul 4, 2009
^^ As a Nation, generally, I think we've lost any ability to actually care about others.

No surprise, then, that our leaders are simply lost.
Ray

Redmond, WA

#19 Jul 4, 2009
No need to worry... China will pay off our debt, as the manufacturing base here in the USA is a shadow of its' former self.
Sam wrote:
What do you WANT?
What's your agenda?

To hold these officials we elected accountable. To make them aware that we do count, that we are not a bunch of rednecks, that we are not part of the chattering class, and that we do understand what is happening. Hillary Clinton spoke last year how it was patriotic to question the president; seems like that isn't true all of a sudden.
<<If you're just protesting because that's enjoyable to you, fine.
Or, you'll be ignored.
Again.
BTW, let's say you do get the point across that taxes shouldn't go up. Who will pay off the national debt?>>
Did you attend the tea party?
Ray

Redmond, WA

#20 Jul 4, 2009
I for one have been calling and writing since 2007 to put the brakes on other things, such as the DuBai Ports deal, the immigration and border security issue, and even the Harrisburg midnight pay raise. As time progressed, I began calling and writing on the topic of taxes about a year ago. There is a quote, perhaps overused, that Rome wasn't built in a day. In 2008, things progressed to the point that sowed the seeds for the current tea parties and protests.
Sam wrote:
'It's a movement that percolates underneath the radar screen,'' Gerow said.
It is a GOP front organization.
Why hide that?
Where were you between 2002-2009?
Enjoying tax cuts.
All taxes must go up so that we can pay the national debt.
I hope the current administration doesn't raise taxes and spend even more.
BTW, if you're underground, then you're buried.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Perot Sys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dana Milbank: Trump can't just be defeated. He ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Wildchild 1
News Column: Trump moves beyond middle America (Feb '16) Feb '16 Ritual Habitual 1
News Is Trump A Conservative? Ben Shapiro Says "Sort... (Jan '16) Jan '16 wild child 1
News Libertarians make final push to get Johnson in ... (Oct '12) Jan '16 Founding Libertar... 2
News Perot: Time will show impact of tea party effort (Apr '10) Jan '16 swedenforever 36
News Is Trump exploiting 'anger, frustration, fear' ... (Dec '15) Jan '16 ronnie 20
News Focus group leader: Trump isn't going away (Aug '15) Aug '15 wild child 1
More from around the web