SmartMeter concerns

SmartMeter concerns

There are 31 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Dec 18, 2010, titled SmartMeter concerns. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

On Dec. 14 a pickup pulled onto my property and a very nice person informed me they were going to install a SmartMeter for PG&E. This was the first I had heard of this installation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Child of Julia

Mckinleyville, CA

#1 Dec 18, 2010
Keep your tin hat on
haha

Eureka, CA

#2 Dec 18, 2010
ask at least for a reach around !
Koalabear2525

San Francisco, CA

#3 Dec 18, 2010
witch meter are we talking about . gas /r electric .
Willow Crek

Georgetown, TX

#4 Dec 18, 2010
PG&E should shut everyone's power off and then those people who want a Smart Meter and receive electricity can raise their hands. The others can buy generators.
4th Ward Resident

Mckinleyville, CA

#5 Dec 18, 2010
Come on people....I didn't know about it either and asked the young man some questions. I'm not at all against it, but it would have been nice to have some prior notice and a little time to do my own research. Just saying....
BHO

San Francisco, CA

#6 Dec 18, 2010
I need to know how much green house gas producing energy (electricity) you use so I can throttle you! It is for the children who will later become one of my disciples.

Barack
Dumbler

Georgetown, TX

#7 Dec 18, 2010
4th Ward Resident wrote:
Come on people....I didn't know about it either and asked the young man some questions. I'm not at all against it, but it would have been nice to have some prior notice and a little time to do my own research. Just saying....
Been in the news for more that a year. How much time did you need? I attended one of the PG&E informational meetings. A slightly larger handful of people showed up. I had expected hundreds. Maybe it is only a big deal on Topix. There are probably less than one hundred people who post here. Not a very good cross section of the community.
buzz

Millville, CA

#8 Dec 18, 2010
4th Ward Resident wrote:
I received notice in the mail. Plus, you know, it's been in the news for months.
Jeff E

Eureka, CA

#9 Dec 18, 2010
Robert, all you have to do is put on a tin-foil hat & the rays will not hurt you.
Harry

United States

#10 Dec 18, 2010
Willow Crek wrote:
PG&E should shut everyone's power off and then those people who want a Smart Meter and receive electricity can raise their hands. The others can buy generators.
:)NICE!
RobertWilliams

United States

#11 Dec 18, 2010
GET USED TO IT.

PG&E has already killed people in Hinkley, California and San Bruno California and other places that are less well known.

Why are these people complaining about smart meters? Do they think that they deserve better than those who have already been killed by PG&E?

Do these people think that their children deserve to live when the lives of other children have already been destroyed by PG&E?

I just don't understand these people. PG&E has a record of killing and sickening people throughout the state and that's not going to change. Why don't these people just accept it, like the rest of us?
Watchout Arcata

San Francisco, CA

#12 Dec 18, 2010
The new meters have little nuclear reactors in them so how is PGE going to install them in the Arcata nuclear free zone?
Humboldt Dreaming

Georgetown, TX

#13 Dec 18, 2010
RobertWilliams wrote:
GET USED TO IT.
PG&E has already killed people in Hinkley, California and San Bruno California and other places that are less well known.
Why are these people complaining about smart meters? Do they think that they deserve better than those who have already been killed by PG&E?
Do these people think that their children deserve to live when the lives of other children have already been destroyed by PG&E?
I just don't understand these people. PG&E has a record of killing and sickening people throughout the state and that's not going to change. Why don't these people just accept it, like the rest of us?

A couple of corrections. The people in Hinkley and San Bruno were killed with GAS not meters. Second, PG&E staff, not PG&E, were responsible for the killings. Most people in San Bruno accept that. Last, children live with cigarette smoke, auto exhaust, chem trails, polluted waters, genetically altered foods, untested pharmaceuticals, wars, gangs and the like. A Smart Meter is the least of their worries.
Heather Deleeuw

Eureka, CA

#14 Dec 18, 2010
At least your installer was honest mine lied to me! Since the installation a month ago, i've woken up with headaches and the other day a migraine that just increased throughout the day even with medication. The sad part is I have three SmartMeters attached to the outside of my bedroom wall because i'm in an apartment! I will be reporting this to P.G.& E. on Monday.
Erin

Downey, CA

#15 Dec 18, 2010
Concerns? Better question is whether human beings have any remaining rights to protect themselves and the Earth from looming lying predatory corporate toxic invasions- the Kalmath, the Navy death quest and toxic dumping in our pristine waters, and certainly the "smartmeters"?
Arcatean

Georgetown, TX

#16 Dec 18, 2010
Erin wrote:
Concerns? Better question is whether human beings have any remaining rights to protect themselves and the Earth from looming lying predatory corporate toxic invasions- the Kalmath, the Navy death quest and toxic dumping in our pristine waters, and certainly the "smartmeters"?
Why did you miss the biggest one of all? Wars and the military complex. They are toxic, they pollute the oceans, And they kill our young people without any discernible concern. And then (Government) lies to us about protecting us from the Iraqis, the Iranians, The Koreans, the Afghanistanis. None have the capability of attacking New York or San Fransisco. How many aircraft carriers to the Iranians have? How many missiles do the Koreans have. How many nuclear missiles and rockets do the Israeli's have. 100 at last count. Israel who is sucking us dry of money because of the Jewish complex of business and media in the USA. They are attacking us from the inside. Just put in the Smart Meter and I will wait for the violent revolution. No more nothing..........
Solarman

Yucca Valley, CA

#17 Dec 19, 2010
4th Ward Resident wrote:
Yeah, that's a little thin. Googling smart meters gives over 3 million results, how much information did you need? They are in the non licensed spread spectrum radio bands, the 902-928 MHZ bands are typically 1 watt or less power output, the 2.4GHz band is around 1/2watt or less power output. A lot of personal cell phones are from 2 to 5 watts power output and are right next to your head, where as the smart meter is outside a wall and away from you. FCC part 15 covers radio frequency emissions. I don't know if it is true or not, but on another posting about smart meters one responder mentioned installing one's own solar PV system and getting a grid tied agreement with PG&E would require a digital bi-directional meter, the smart meter cannot effectively monitor power flow from the house to the grid. So, if you have solar PV no smart meter. That might be someting to research with PG&E. For your own solar PV system: www.dsireusa.org or www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov .
Cpetersen

Muskogee, OK

#18 Dec 19, 2010
Digital, wireless (or even wired) metered reading methods have been around for at least 12 years. In rural areas in other states. This is how I know Humboldt is so paranoid about technology and people panic about it.

Mine was installed Thursday. I was irked by the fact that I heard banging on the wall and the contractor said he knocked but there were several people watching TV that would have heard, but I knew they were coming at some point during the day.

The "smartmeter" I had living out on the penninsula in WA state I had in 1998. I actually PREFERRED it because the scenario is some lackey on a bad day can't "misread" a meter reading. With digital it's correct. You can say "hey this guy took a crappy reading" even though there are more sets of eyes looking at the data.

With little mechanical dials, eventually they wear out. A 1 becomes a 7 on some 30 year old dial or it just simply quits moving inside. I was overcharged almost $300 by Puget Sound Energy over a couple years when when the math didn't add up. Turned out we had a bad mechanical meter. We were refunded the money without a ton of arguement, and went digital. Really not that big of an issue

And some people worried about wi-fi radiation? Go find a new hobby you tin hats.

Since: Feb 08

Hana, HI

#19 Dec 20, 2010
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, that's a little thin. Googling smart meters gives over 3 million results, how much information did you need? They are in the non licensed spread spectrum radio bands, the 902-928 MHZ bands are typically 1 watt or less power output, the 2.4GHz band is around 1/2watt or less power output. A lot of personal cell phones are from 2 to 5 watts power output and are right next to your head, where as the smart meter is outside a wall and away from you. FCC part 15 covers radio frequency emissions. I don't know if it is true or not, but on another posting about smart meters one responder mentioned installing one's own solar PV system and getting a grid tied agreement with PG&E would require a digital bi-directional meter, the smart meter cannot effectively monitor power flow from the house to the grid. So, if you have solar PV no smart meter. That might be someting to research with PG&E. For your own solar PV system: www.dsireusa.org or www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov .
Hi Solarman, cell phones put out 2/10ths of a watt for G3,G4, and CDMA cariers, which is all of them except for Nextel, that uses a propriatary network known as iDEN. Those handheld mobile phones put out 6/10ths of a watt, but they are going to be phased out in 2013. The higher powered lower frequency radio phones are much more reliable and powerful, but are expensive for the carriers to operate and need to go.
The old mobile "bag phones" did put out 3 watts, but they have been history for many years.
I am also very interested in what you said about the new SmartMeters not being reversible. That is also what my PG&E meter reader told me, but I have never found any documentation from anywhere to substantiate that.
The reversible meters are also time of use meters (TOU), enabling customers who generate their own power from hydro and solar to backfeed to the power grid. With feed-in tariffs paid, a customer can generate power during the day, feed it to the grid, get paid a higher rate and then use power at off-peak times at a lower rate.
The TOU meters are AMR meters that have been around for over 20 years, but the new SmartMeters are AMI meters that are supposedly not capable of being reversible.
With the new tests of electric vehicles and the possibility of using the vehicles batteries as storage for the grid, it seems that the new Automatic Meter Reading Infrastructure (AMI) SmartMeters will not support these goals of using vehicle batteries to balance loads.
Bah

Moraga, CA

#20 Dec 20, 2010
Meters that can measure power flow both into and out of the residence are called "bidirectional." This is from the GE smartmeter page.
"Bi-Directional Metering
The I-210+c SmartMeter is a bi-directional meter that supports Net Metering. Both received and delivered data metrics
are stored in the meter and can be delivered to the utility as needed to support “green-credit” electricity programs
for consumers who own renewable energy facilities or participate in vehicle-to-grid systems."

Here is the link http://www.smartsynch.com/pdf/I-210+c_SmartMe...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pacific Gas and Electric Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Land officials OK closing nuclear s... Jul 21 warrengraham 2
News Californiaa s biggest utilities break own recor... Jul 16 Solarman 1
News Marin Clean Energy to cut electricity rates abo... Jun 26 Solarman 1
News End of California nuclear era: Last plant to cl... Jun '16 Solarman 1
News Newly found blood vials allow for funeral of 9/... Jun '16 tip of iceberg 1
News PG&E purchases Cinderella Motel in Red Bluff, c... (Nov '10) Feb '16 Michelle 25
News How much is your solar power worth? The fight o... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Dannette 6
More from around the web